Magic band plus- confirmed news from Disney.

Will regular magic bands work as well?
The comment says MB and MB2 won't so that is your regular MBs. If that's the case that's a very wasted opportunity.

I'm not going to buy MB+ especially when I already own two MBs. Will enough DLR guests purchase MB+ and enough crossover WDW guests purchase MB+ (moreso given how lackluster the reviews are and the failure of the delivery of promise on the effects) to make it worth the investment in bringing it to DLR.

The comment says MB and MB2 won't so that is your regular MBs. If that's the case that's a very wasted opportunity.

I'm not going to buy MB+ especially when I already own two MBs. Will enough DLR guests purchase MB+ and enough crossover WDW guests purchase MB+ (moreso given how lackluster the reviews are and the failure of the delivery of promise on the effects) to make it worth the investment in bringing it to DLR.
That will depend on how many DLR guests are also WDW frequent guests. I know no one in person that already owns a MB. It's a shiny new thing here. I would guess enough folks will at least buy one even if they already own a previous MB so it's "the last one" since they recharge.

That will depend on how many DLR guests are also WDW frequent guests. I know no one in person that already owns a MB. It's a shiny new thing here. I would guess enough folks will at least buy one even if they already own a previous MB so it's "the last one" since they recharge.
Has it been confirmed that the MB+ won't run into the same issue with photopass photos? Because that's primarily the only thing that runs out with MBs. Your old MB will work for entry to the parks, LL, etc so someone going to WDW who purchased a MB there (or got it through their hotel stay) would be fine to use it. It was the primarily the photopass issues. Sure that was a battery thing but is the charging that the MB+ does charging that or just charging for usage on the lighting effects and things specific to MB+.

If you already own a MB the only reason you'd purchase a MB+ is for the effects. If you were not interested in the effects you'd just use your old MB or purchase a new MB (which is often less expensive depending on the style than MB+). To have to purchase MB+ just to use it at DLR has the potential of rubbing people the wrong way. And perhaps even more is that the importance of MBs have been downgraded from what they were when they were introduced in 2013 and on. They were still very much a big thing in 2017 when we went to WDW but have slipped in importance as more things were added to the app, most people weren't wearing them in 2022 when we went. Will enough guests see a reason to purchase something that Disney themselves has made obsolete largely by putting those features on a phone.

----Issues with posting before reply got typed-----

Last edited:
Has it been confirmed that the MB+ won't run into the same issue with photopass photos? Because that's primarily the only thing that runs out with MBs. Your old MB will work for entry to the parks, LL, etc so someone going to WDW who purchased a MB there (or got it through their hotel stay) would be fine to use it. It was the primarily the photopass issues. Sure that was a battery thing but is the charging that the MB+ does charging that or just charging for usage on the lighting effects and things specific to MB+.
We don't yet know how MB+ will handle PhotoPass at DLR.

The example in the promo video is just using MB+ to replace the visitor's QR code that PhotoPass photographers scan out of the app. It's not out of the question that that's all they'll do this round.

When I was at DLR last week, there were no signs of touch points being added to the PhotoPass screens on rides, and there's no indication yet that they'll do automated ride photos. (I think it's notable that the DLR MB+ promo image doesn't say "automatically link PhotoPass photos".)

(I noticed after writing this - the wording in the announcement only mentions PhotoPass photographers.)

Last edited:
. Will enough DLR guests purchase MB+ and enough crossover WDW guests purchase MB+ (moreso given how lackluster the reviews are and the failure of the delivery of promise on the effects) to make it worth the investment in bringing it to DLR.

Can only speak for ourselves and we'll definately be buying some (have MB already, but these new ones are $35 so a dip in the total $ spent on DLR trips). I think the average DLR visitor doesn't pay much attention to reviews coming from WDW.

Can only speak for ourselves and we'll definately be buying some (have MB already, but these new ones are $35 so a dip in the total $ spent on DLR trips). I think the average DLR visitor doesn't pay much attention to reviews coming from WDW.
I could see that. However, if the effects are done the same it won't take long for word to get out. Like one of the main ones is the lighting effect for Harmonious and Enchantment. They don't seem choregraphed and just more random lighting effects which in that sense diminishes the specialness aspect. I think one can assume if this feature is used for World of Color for example it would probably be the same. And issues with the statues responding. If the technology is the same I wouldn't necessarily expect an upgrade here.

The main question will be will the typical DLR guest find these a detractor if they pan out the same. One thing to note is if you're a regular at DLR and want to use your band every time for the features you would need to make sure it's charged (I believe I've read Disney recommends nightly charging)--battery expected to last 1-3 days depending on usage. Having no option to purchase a regular MB or use an existing one from a previous WDW trip I could see people annoyed at having to pay more for a band that ends up being cumbersome on a day to day basis just to get the usage out of what is special about it compared to the regular MB. Of course time will tell :) just thinking out loud the limitation of it. A lot of investment on Disney's part to just limit it. Perhaps if they did MB+ in 2016/17/18 it wouldn't be as big of a deal as enough people would already have them and they could have just improved and added onto the features.

If you already own a MB the only reason you'd purchase a MB+ is for the effects. If you were not interested in the effects you'd just use your old MB or purchase a new MB (which is often less expensive depending on the style than MB+). To have to purchase MB+ just to use it at DLR has the potential of rubbing people the wrong way. And perhaps even more is that the importance of MBs have been downgraded from what they were when they were introduced in 2013 and on. They were still very much a big thing in 2017 when we went to WDW but have slipped in importance as more things were added to the app, most people weren't wearing them in 2022 when we went. Will enough guests see a reason to purchase something that Disney themselves has made obsolete largely by putting those features on a phone.

----Issues with posting before reply got typed-----
You are assuming folks at DLR already own a MB. Unless most guests at DLR are WDW visitors, they won't have an old one to use at all. That's what I'm trying to get to, they are new on this coast, it is safe to assume that not everyone has one even if MB and MB2 end up working at DLR at all. Which I don't think they will considering their announcement says this:
MagicBand and MagicBand 2 will not be supported at Disneyland Resort at this time.

If there is something Disney folks like is a new shiny thing, so why wouldn't folks at DLR buy one?

I don't think Disney has officially said so, but there have been multiple reports that suggest the answer is yes.

The CMs really don't know anything right now.

Just spoke with a CM from ShopDisney about the MBs they show on their site. I asked if they would work at DL, if we purchased one thru their site. They had no idea. I was hoping to get several off their site that I like. Am hesitant to do so currently. I just can't imagine that they wouldn't work, but who knows what they've changed.

I also asked about removing the central piece, like we used to be able to do to insert in the keyfob. My hubby's wrist is too large for a MB. So we've always removed it and put it in the fob. They said that they do not believe that you can do that anymore, due to the new elements that they've incorporated into the bands for the additional experiences. Again, she wasn't sure.

You are assuming folks at DLR already own a MB. Unless most guests at DLR are WDW visitors, they won't have an old one to use at all. That's what I'm trying to get to, they are new on this coast, it is safe to assume that not everyone has one even if MB and MB2 end up working at DLR at all. Which I don't think they will considering their announcement says this:

If there is something Disney folks like is a new shiny thing, so why wouldn't folks at DLR buy one?
That's exactly what I'm not assuming and what I'm arguing is the most likely case. I'm talking about wondering if enough DLR guests will see the point of paying for MB+ so much so that Disney is limiting it to just that rather than allowing regular MBs to be used. Touchpoints could be used by regular MBs (unless there's a difference in data/information collection such that CA privacy concerns with MB+ are so different than regular MBs).

I've never said they weren't new in CA, of course they are new, that's precisely my point. To get enough people to offset the costs of the investment Disney is banking on quite a few DLRs visitors to purchase MB+ to subsidize it, and on a product that is not getting the most stellar amazing reviews and one that has a huge limitation of the battery life. The only differing aspect is the features that rely on the battery to be charged. Because DLR is more comprised of locals will people who go often enough always make sure to charge it and will enough opt to purchase the MB+ when their phone does the basic things it does. IF there was an option to purchase regular MBs or use old MBs I'm pondering out loud if you'd at least get more usage out of the system.

That's exactly what I'm not assuming and what I'm arguing is the most likely case. I'm talking about wondering if enough DLR guests will see the point of paying for MB+ so much so that Disney is limiting it to just that rather than allowing regular MBs to be used. Touchpoints could be used by regular MBs (unless there's a difference in data/information collection such that CA privacy concerns with MB+ are so different than regular MBs).

I've never said they weren't new in CA, of course they are new, that's precisely my point. To get enough people to offset the costs of the investment Disney is banking on quite a few DLRs visitors to purchase MB+ to subsidize it, and on a product that is not getting the most stellar amazing reviews and one that has a huge limitation of the battery life. The only differing aspect is the features that rely on the battery to be charged. Because DLR is more comprised of locals will people who go often enough always make sure to charge it and will enough opt to purchase the MB+ when their phone does the basic things it does. IF there was an option to purchase regular MBs or use old MBs I'm pondering out loud if you'd at least get more usage out of the system.
I didn't understand that from your previous comment. I have no idea why Disney would want folks buying regular MB instead of MB+. Since they are cheaper. And as you say, locals are most likely to use it. If I wanted my guests to make a one time purchase, the more expensive version would be preferred.

I don't think WDW less than stellar reviews would matter that much, in the same way than WDW guests experience with Genie+ does not reflect the experience at DLR. At least not at the beginning. If the experience at DLR is indeed subpar for example, doesn't work as intended on the game, then I could see less folks buying it. But for those that want it to not have to take out their phones for example, it seems like a hit in the making and their are so many folks that seem to hate phones.

Last edited:
MB+ reportedly have a very short battery life-that’s my main concern. We are west coasters and primarily DL fans but do have MBs from a. Couple WDW trips-I probably would buy these as my kids are big fans and think it’s annoying they don’t have them at DL yet while I’m more “get off my lawn” about them. It might be easier for my mom on our trip in November-she doesn’t have a smart phone.

And as I’m typing this my 25 and 16 year old daughters are texting all caps “ARE WE GETTING NEW ONES!!!???”

The CMs really don't know anything right now.
Btw - when I say "reports", I specifically mean media reports, not things CMs have said to guests. I don't particularly trust OC Register myself, but they were specifically told that the answer was yes.

I wouldn't necessarily pull the trigger based on that information, but I don't personally have any reason to doubt it.

I also asked about removing the central piece, like we used to be able to do to insert in the keyfob. My hubby's wrist is too large for a MB. So we've always removed it and put it in the fob. They said that they do not believe that you can do that anymore, due to the new elements that they've incorporated into the bands for the additional experiences. Again, she wasn't sure.
Honest answer - it's removable (four screws), but Disney's not officially supporting the removal. For example, the charging cable clips to the band - if you remove the band, there's a gap.

There are folks on Etsy that are selling homemade MB+ fobs and pieces to allow the charging cable to attach without the band, but Disney isn't officially supporting that.

If it were me - I'd wait and have your husband test one in person to see if it might actually fit his wrist.

I have no idea why Disney would want folks buying regular MB instead of MB+. Since they are cheaper. And as you say, locals are most likely to use it. If I wanted my guests to make a one time purchase, the more expensive version would be preferred.
For sure on a marketing level that makes sense to limit and it was something I was going to talk about but opted to omit; it is a point I understand.

However this is new infrastructure to DLR rather than phasing out past tech when you've already got an existing system and thus are not relying on that. It was an incredible expense (I think $1 Billion) for MB tech over at WDW although it shouldn't be as much at DLR. On the one side too one of the things that made Disney money was repeat purchases of MBs. I don't see that being as much with MB+, maybe some will opt to purchase a new one over time but not nearly the same sort of fervor over regular MBs.

A 1-time purchase isn't what Disney wants you to do either especially at their price point they have (too low to rely just on one-time purchase). It's a lot easier for someone to spend money on regular MBs and even wear multiple of them that day without now worrying about keeping them charged. Purely out loud thinking but I think the spend amount on the actual device is probably more with regular MBs over time. A lot of people had them for free for hotel stays but then bought special ones and a lot of locals bought ones too.

in the same way than WDW guests experience with Genie+ does not reflect the experience at DLR.
For me I wouldn't quite use Genie+ for comparison but purely an IMO thing. Disney isn't fundamentally changing how MB+ works. Yes Genie+ functions in a few ways differently at DLR and also costs more (and it works better in part because less purchase it) which is why it's hard to compare the two experiences. If Rise consistently ran out at DLR like it does at WDW you would probably hear the same complaints that happens at WDW. Although I have seen complaints for instance when the LL for Space Mountain is very long but almost no one in the SB line at DLR and that has gotten complaints.

For the MB+ for example unless World of Color has exact syncing to the water and lights that same complaint that exists for the shows at WDW can be the same at DLR. Whether guests see that as an issue is subjective and yet to be seen, it however was a point of example I personally thought was worth bringing up especially in the sense of getting people to buy it, others may feel differently for sure :)
But for those that want it to not have to take out their phones for example, it seems like a hit in the making and their are so many folks that seem to hate phones.
That is true but you're paying for interactive tech. Having to ensure the device is charged would be akin to the same complaint of phone usage taking up battery usage. Sure for basic things like LL access you're okay there without a charge, then again someone may be asking why are they paying for features they won't end up using because it requires them to be tethered to a charging device (or use it sparingly enough that the charge lasts and remember to charge when you're done). I think that was more my thought process. You're sorta exchanging one annoyance for another without the option to purchase something less fancy but would fulfill the annoyance part with the phones.

Last edited:
Honest answer - it's removable (four screws), but Disney's not officially supporting the removal. For example, the charging cable clips to the band - if you remove the band, there's a gap.

There are folks on Etsy that are selling homemade MB+ fobs and pieces to allow the charging cable to attach without the band, but Disney isn't officially supporting that.

If it were me - I'd wait and have your husband test one in person to see if it might actually fit his wrist.

Yeah, I'm not holding out hope....he may just have to clip it on his belt loop. His wrist is 9.5" Although hey barely fit, it's barely. It's pulled (stretched) out as far as it goes.

So disappointed MB and MB2 won’t be usable at DL. Have several of those from WDW trips. Given the battery life issues with MB+, I am not inclined to purchase one, though was looking forward to a December trip with a MB!
If we were going to DLR right now we'd use our MBs purchased in April 2022. If we were going in say 2024 or 2025 we would have purchased new MBs. Because we don't go to WDW every year or every other year we were not going to purchase MB+ and felt no need to "upgrade" to MB+ and we won't be purchasing it just to use at DLR. That is us personally but my guess is there are at least a decent amount of others who feel the same. Even my WDW locals they go so frequently to WDW they have old MBs and from time to time purchase new ones. I can't remember if any of them have MB+ but I don't think they were as interested in it.

I'm so excited for this! I'm hoping they'll get here by late October so we can use them both for our Halloween and New Year's trips!

For the MB+ for example unless World of Color has exact syncing to the water and lights that same complaint that exists for the shows at WDW can be the same at DLR. Whether guests see that as an issue is subjective and yet to be seen, it however was a point of example I personally thought was worth bringing up especially in the sense of getting people to buy it, others may feel differently for sure :)
For this I would sincerely hope that since they are making a new WoC, that it is done correctly from the beginning. But to be honest, this is the last functionality I care about. More interested in being able to do the tap tap for everything without having to manage 3+ ppl on a single phone, or taking out paper passes, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter