Looking to get an SLR

Kelly Grannell said:
I realize that this thread is old... but I'm still interested to know... why 35mm? :confused3

Because that is what he wants. We have a nice digital ourselves but he prefers 35mm. He's taking a photo class at college and that is what they use. He is going into journalism/photojounalism.

AZ JazzyJ said:
Both Canon and Nikon make great digital SLR models. I'm more of a Nikon guy so I can answer questions on those models if you have any. I would suggest either the D50 or D70s as great choices. The D70s is more advanced but both support his requirement of having manual settngs. The D70s has a more advanced focusing system but they are very similar in operation.

Jeff

We ended up getting him the D70 model. He loves it!

phorsenuf said:
Because that is what he wants. We have a nice digital ourselves but he prefers 35mm. He's taking a photo class at college and that is what they use. He is going into journalism/photojounalism.

sounds like his professors need to join the modern world, most photojournalists use digital , for convenience and most print media these days want digital files.., not film or negatives...

LordAthens said:
You still have to add in printing costs for digital as well, typically ~.25\print at home and $.10\print at a photolab.

While it's certainly cheaper than film processing, it's not exactly free like everyone pushing digital would like it to seem.

It is for me, because I never print any of my pics - I keep them on my computer (and in several backup locations), and view them exclusively on-screen.

I have a screen saver that steps through my entire photo album, and because of this, I get to see my pics a lot more often then if they were sitting in albums on my shelves.

It may not be right for everybody, but the way I keep my pics not only allows me to see my pics more often (and more clearly as they are zoomed to fit my 19" monitor instead of printed at a measly 4"x6"), but saves me all the money I used to spend on film processing and printing.

So you did end up getting him the digital not film SLR?? Its a little confusing because in one post you said he wanted the 35mm because of what the college class uses then 2 minutes later you posted that you got him the D70 which is digital.

So I'm assuming that he now see's the light and has welcomed himself into the 21st century and the dSLR. If so. Great choice. Though I like my D50 better than the D70. But the D70s I almost got. Instead I went with the lens the D70 & D70s come with and the D50.

Have him check out http://www.nikonians.org/ lots of great info there. Even a specific forum for D70/70s owners and users.

I don't believe film is dead. There are too many times that film still outperforms the digital sensor. The sensors are getting better but still cannot capture all of the detail of film. Nikon like other manufacturers are stepping back production of 35mm cameras due to lack of profitability since mid-level 35mm users are moving up to higher-end 35mm systems or better yet moving to medium format for increased depth and detail. Everyone keeps saying digital will be the death of film but I don't believe it will happen. It may not be a prevelant as digital but will still have a solid base with professionals and amateurs alike. While I am waiting on the arrival of a Nikon D200 digital camera, I seriously considered getting a Nikon F6 film camera instead. For only $300 more I could have the top of the line film camera that was built to last a lifetime. Compare that price to the top of the line digital SLR cameras and film is a much better value. I do believe that digital will rule the market from a point-and-shoot standpoint, but as for higher end SLR I don't yet see film going away. And if you take into consideration other formats beyond 35mm, then digital has a long way to go. There isn't a cost effective digital alternative for medium format. The digital backs sell in excess of $30K and the file sizes are enormous. There is no reason to leave film if you shoot medium format or above. It's all in your perspective.

Jeff

AZ JazzyJ said:
I don't believe film is dead. There are too many times that film still outperforms the digital sensor. The sensors are getting better but still cannot capture all of the detail of film. Nikon like other manufacturers are stepping back production of 35mm cameras due to lack of profitability since mid-level 35mm users are moving up to higher-end 35mm systems or better yet moving to medium format for increased depth and detail. Everyone keeps saying digital will be the death of film but I don't believe it will happen. It may not be a prevelant as digital but will still have a solid base with professionals and amateurs alike. While I am waiting on the arrival of a Nikon D200 digital camera, I seriously considered getting a Nikon F6 film camera instead. For only $300 more I could have the top of the line film camera that was built to last a lifetime. Compare that price to the top of the line digital SLR cameras and film is a much better value. I do believe that digital will rule the market from a point-and-shoot standpoint, but as for higher end SLR I don't yet see film going away. And if you take into consideration other formats beyond 35mm, then digital has a long way to go. There isn't a cost effective digital alternative for medium format. The digital backs sell in excess of $30K and the file sizes are enormous. There is no reason to leave film if you shoot medium format or above. It's all in your perspective.

Jeff

this could be debated forever, a large number of pros, went from medium format to 35mm, when 35mm film became much better grain wise... from what I've heard and read, the number of people going from 35mm to digital far exceeds the number of people going from 35mm to medium format..or from low end 35mm to high end 35mm..

but the original thought was 35mm will be replaced by digital,,,medium format is a different story

I think 35mm and APS will go the way of the 8-track within 10 years.

When you look at the massive switch that the photography industry has made in teh past 3 years, and extrapolate from that, it seems very possible that consumer film will be nothing but a relic and a niche hobby by 2015.

Pros who shoot medium and large format will likely last a but longer; after all, if you have invested $100K in equipment, you want to get as much use out of it as you can! And medium and large format film, because of their greater physical size, will still capture better images than any digital camera currently on the market - but that may not be the case 10 years from now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!