Looking to get an SLR

phorsenuf

Not so New Rule author
My son (18) wants an SLR camera fro Christmas. He really prefers manual settings opposed to being automatic.
What is a decent (but not break the bank) brand and model? We were looking at some of the Canon Rebels (we have the Canon Rebel 2000). He mentioned a Nikon.

Thoughts?

phorsenuf said:
My son (18) wants an SLR camera fro Christmas. He really prefers manual settings opposed to being automatic.
What is a decent (but not break the bank) brand and model? We were looking at some of the Canon Rebels (we have the Canon Rebel 2000). He mentioned a Nikon.

Thoughts?

This is the order I would rank the entry level Dslrs all prices are from BUYDIG dotcom(no tax,free shipping) and do not include lens except for the pentax.
IMO the Canon and the Nikon are pretty much tied for 1st choice and the Minolta and Pentax are pretty tight as well. But you can find plenty of Oly fans that would reverse the entire rankings. I only put the canon on top because you already have at least one canon lens.

Canon Rebel XT $760 (B4 $75 rebate)
Nikon D50 $550
Minolta Maxxum 5D $600
Pentax *IST DL $625(w/lens)
Olympus Evolt E-300 $590

Both Canon and Nikon make great digital SLR models. I'm more of a Nikon guy so I can answer questions on those models if you have any. I would suggest either the D50 or D70s as great choices. The D70s is more advanced but both support his requirement of having manual settngs. The D70s has a more advanced focusing system but they are very similar in operation.

Jeff

AZ JazzyJ said:
Both Canon and Nikon make great digital SLR models. I'm more of a Nikon guy so I can answer questions on those models if you have any. I would suggest either the D50 or D70s as great choices. The D70s is more advanced but both support his requirement of having manual settngs. The D70s has a more advanced focusing system but they are very similar in operation.

Jeff

I should claify, I am not looking for a digital model, he wants 35mm.
Thanks!

You mentioned that you already have a Rebel 2000.

IMO there has not been any groundbreaking improvements in the 35mm cameras that would really merit an upgrade. Instead I would buy a nice lens and maybe a flash, I think that would improve pictures more than upgrading the body.

Is there a reason he does not like the Rebel 2000?

My mistake, my digital bias leads me to assume non-film these days. If you have Canon lenses already it would make sense to be able to share those with him. If he is intent on Nikon, I really loved my N80 before buying the F100 which is probably the last film camera I will ever own as it has everything I ever wanted (and I don't shoot that much film any more so it will never wear out).

Jeff

I loved my N80, it's a terrific mid-range body. You should beable to pick one up w\ a decent piece of glass for ~$400.

I have an old Nikon 6006 that's now collecting dust. For a good reason. With the selection of digital cameras that available today with their quality and convenience, I would not recommend a film camera to anyone. Well, there is one time I would. I would recommend a disposable camera for situations that would possibly damage a more expensive camera (digital or not).

Some of the more moderately priced Point and Shoot cameras have manual settings. I think that if he's trying to learn about photography, the instant feedback would be a plus instead of waiting for expensive film processing and printing.

The Nikon D50 (with a lens (18-55 zoom)) is a bargain at around $650.

http://www2.butterflyphoto.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=D50KIT

A decent film camera is still going to cost $300-400 dollars. Then you have to add in the never ending film processing/printing costs.

Charade said:
I have an old Nikon 6006 that's now collecting dust. For a good reason. With the selection of digital cameras that available today with their quality and convenience, I would not recommend a film camera to anyone. Well, there is one time I would. I would recommend a disposable camera for situations that would possibly damage a more expensive camera (digital or not).

Some of the more moderately priced Point and Shoot cameras have manual settings. I think that if he's trying to learn about photography, the instant feedback would be a plus instead of waiting for expensive film processing and printing.

The Nikon D50 (with a lens (18-55 zoom)) is a bargain at around $650.

http://www2.butterflyphoto.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=D50KIT

A decent film camera is still going to cost $300-400 dollars. Then you have to add in the never ending film processing/printing costs.

He took a photography class in school and really enjoyed it. He especially liked working with black and white.
He plans to take another course in college.
He also enjoyed doing his own processing, although that's not feasible at home right now. It's what he likes. Not everybody loves digital.....LOL

phorsenuf said:
He took a photography class in school and really enjoyed it. He especially liked working with black and white.
He also enjoyed doing his own processing, although that's not feasible at home right now. It's what he likes. Not everybody loves digital.....LOL

I know a few photographers who loved doing their own processing, and darkroom manipulation, said they'd never go digital, once they discovered the world of digital manipulation with good software, they forgot all about their darkrooms..

you might want to make him aware of what can be done before buying a 35mm camera, otherwise there is the risk that he will discover the digital darkroom.., and then want digital instead..

MICKEY88 said:
otherwise there is the risk that he will discover the digital darkroom..,

But but but... that's not REAL photography!! :rotfl2:

phorsenuf said:

Thoughts?

If your son likes the Rebel 2000, then any of the Rebels will work fine for him. There are several newer models with a few more bells and whistles (more focus points, etc.), but any of them are good, solid, beginners cameras.

My 35mm is a Rebel G. I held onto that camera for a long time before buying a Digital Rebel, because the pics were so superb. I will miss it a lot, but since I got the Digital Rebel, the Rebel G is sitting in its box, waiting for somebody to buy it. Ah, well, that's progress.

After I had the Rebel G for a while, I found that the best accessories I could buy for it were the AA battery pack, a Speedlight external flash, and a 28-200 zoom lens. I've also found that a pocket-size tripod and a remote shutter release are excellent extras when taking long exposure night shots.

phorsenuf said:

Another area your son may be interested in is infrared photography. It is black and white and the photos have a surreal view to them. I've often thought about getting into that myself.

I completely understand his desire. In college I took a photography course (from the physics department - I am a closet geek that had to know "How" the camera worked). In that class we did our own processing. I loved everything from the dark bags for removing the film canisters to dealing with the chemicals. There is nothing quite like seeing an image magically appear when added to a tray of chemicals under the red glow of a darkroom light. I can still smell that on some of my old prints and it brings back lots of memories. You can't get that kind of connection with a digital camera. The smell of an inkjet printer just isn't the same.

Jeff

Charade said:
Then you have to add in the never ending film processing/printing costs.

You still have to add in printing costs for digital as well, typically ~.25\print at home and $.10\print at a photolab.

While it's certainly cheaper than film processing, it's not exactly free like everyone pushing digital would like it to seem.

LordAthens said:
You still have to add in printing costs for digital as well, typically ~.25\print at home and $.10\print at a photolab.

While it's certainly cheaper than film processing, it's not exactly free like everyone pushing digital would like it to seem.
But at least you only print the pictures you like. And I think most folks with digital print far less than they did when using film. Many just set them up as a slide show on their pc or tv. And $.10/print is alot cheaper than the last time I had film developed. I took almost 6000 pictures this year, I can't imagine what it would have cost to buy film and develope a similar amount of prints.

I took over 20,000 photos in an 8 month period, that would have cost a fortune shooting 35mm, but the cost was next to nothing since I only printed the pictures I wanted to hang..

Kelly Grannell said:
I realize that this thread is old... but I'm still interested to know... why 35mm? :confused3

I agree, especially in light of the fact that there is less film being produced these days, and I just read last week that Nikon has stopped production of mid level 35mm slrs, it's only a matter of time, 'till film cameras go the way of 8track tapes and beta video..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter