Looking to buy new sofa...what is your opinion of microfiber??

always quiet

Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the hyd
I saw a dual reclining sofa at BJ's recently and fell in love with it! :lovestruc I had mentioned it to my sister and had told her it was made of microfiber. She told me that 2 of her daughters got couches made of this when it had first come out and both of them experienced tearing!! :earseek: She also said that upon checking with the warranties, the fabric was not covered. :confused: Does anyone out there have furniture covered with this material?? What is your opinion of it?

With 3 kids (13, 12, and 9) along with a cat....and let's not forget about the husband....it will get some serious use! I need something durable and cleans up nicely.:teeth:

Thanks for any advice!!! :wave2:

I'd stay as far away from that as possible. Especially with a cat, regardless of whether it's declawed. Microfiber is a VERY thin material and really has no long term durability. It does rip very easily, but does look and feel nice. If you're looking for something that will be in a VERY high traffic area, like your family room, and will get TONS of use, I'd look for a more durable fabric.

Some fabric mills do offer a WearDated warranty for a fixed number of years on their fabrics. These fabrics are usually the thickly woven, man made blends you find typically on recliner chairs.

That being said, the manufacturers themselves do not warranty the fabrics. Many reputable stores, such as the one I work in however, will warranty fabrics for a year against factory defects.

Your most durable application on a sofa will be leather. If you go with a fabric just keep in mind your life expectancy will be less, but go with a reputable retailer and a well made product.

Good luck!

Is microfiber that material that looks/feels like suede? If so...I'd stay away from it! ::yes::

I love the way it looks, but I don't think it would hold out for us (especially with the dog).
We will probably get leather.

We have a microfiber couch. I have no complaints. It has held up better than any of our other couches and we have kids and pets. It even survived the fire we had in July and cleaned up perfectly. Our warranty does cover fabric.

Just bought 2 microfiber recliner couches from Raymour and Flanigan by Berkline in December. So far, our cats have not tried to scratch on them (the previous couches in that room had slipcovers and when they were off to be cleaned they did scratch on them)

You guys are scaring me, but I'm hoping that with a "name" couch, they'll hold up.

Vivienne

Originally posted by disneygals
Just bought 2 microfiber recliner couches from Raymour and Flanigan by Berkline in December. So far, our cats have not tried to scratch on them (the previous couches in that room had slipcovers and when they were off to be cleaned they did scratch on them)

You guys are scaring me, but I'm hoping that with a "name" couch, they'll hold up.

Vivienne

We bought the same couches and they have held up well.

It shows grease stains reallllly easy, like if you have lotion on your legs, i get pilly wherever it gets anywear, and tears super easy.

Pretty but not the most practical/durable fabric

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter