Looking for recommendations for a mobility scooter/bariatric ecv

Stitch’s glitches

Earning My Ears
Looking for recommendations for a mobility scooter/bariatric ecv that’s somewhat travel friendly and able to support someone who is roughly 400lbs.

We are going on a family trip to WDW in the fall and it has made grandma realize she really needs to OWN a mobility scooter not just rent one, but she is having a terrible time trying to figure out which one to buy and I’m worried she’s not going to get one in time.

All insight is appreciated! Thank you!!

TravelScoot does not currently advertise a weight limit; they have had many loyal customers who were at/over the 400 lb mark over the years.

I have 2 TravelScoots, and while my highest weight never was at 400 pounds, I was still a 3L (Large Lovely Lady). Ultimately, because of emergency spinal fusion surgery, I had to modify my seat on my 2nd generation TravelScoot (I replaced it with a boat seat!) but up until then, I often rode it without the seat back at all, which made getting on and off very easy - a lot like hopping on a tricycle!

My TravelScoots (Max is "original" model, and he is named for the palace horse in Tangled) and Angus (my 2nd generation model, named for Merida's horse in Brave) have both served me long and well at WDW. I have flown with both of them, and had zero airline issues. Worst part of the whole experience is that you *will* get stopped by people asking where you got your TravelScoot!

Everyone at TravelScoot is friendly and helpful. They even have a YouTube channel that Tony "stars" in, showing you how to fix and maintain your TravelScoot. My hubby is an aviation mechanic for a major airline, and he loves my TravelScoot because he can fix it easily for me when anything goes wrong.

I looked at every single possible solution when I was first shopping for my own personal mobility device, and the TravelScoot won, hands down. I never even had a chance to test drive it - I bought one on blind faith, and never looked back (except to wave at my admirers like the Princess I secretly am! 🤣 )

Call them and discuss the situation with them first - and please tell them Mamabunny says hi! 🙂

Let me know if you have any questions!

TravelScoot does not currently advertise a weight limit; they have had many loyal customers who were at/over the 400 lb mark over the years.

I have 2 TravelScoots, and while my highest weight never was at 400 pounds, I was still a 3L (Large Lovely Lady). Ultimately, because of emergency spinal fusion surgery, I had to modify my seat on my 2nd generation TravelScoot (I replaced it with a boat seat!) but up until then, I often rode it without the seat back at all, which made getting on and off very easy - a lot like hopping on a tricycle!

My TravelScoots (Max is "original" model, and he is named for the palace horse in Tangled) and Angus (my 2nd generation model, named for Merida's horse in Brave) have both served me long and well at WDW. I have flown with both of them, and had zero airline issues. Worst part of the whole experience is that you *will* get stopped by people asking where you got your TravelScoot!

Everyone at TravelScoot is friendly and helpful. They even have a YouTube channel that Tony "stars" in, showing you how to fix and maintain your TravelScoot. My hubby is an aviation mechanic for a major airline, and he loves my TravelScoot because he can fix it easily for me when anything goes wrong.

I looked at every single possible solution when I was first shopping for my own personal mobility device, and the TravelScoot won, hands down. I never even had a chance to test drive it - I bought one on blind faith, and never looked back (except to wave at my admirers like the Princess I secretly am! 🤣 )

Call them and discuss the situation with them first - and please tell them Mamabunny says hi! 🙂

Let me know if you have any questions!
Hey! How fast does it feel like it goes in comparison with the traffic flow so to speak in the parks? I usually rent one (non-collapsible) and they go pretty fast.

Hey! How fast does it feel like it goes in comparison with the traffic flow so to speak in the parks? I usually rent one (non-collapsible) and they go pretty fast.

Short answer: It can go faster than Disney allows!

Disney has a very real, and very important rule that no device in the Parks should ever exceed "walking speed", and I *always* obey that rule, no matter what.

device-rules.jpg

There are too many people, and too many chances that someone could get hurt (especially given how many folks have their noses buried in their phones while walking). I have never run any of my personal devices at full throttle at WDW. I respect all of the rules there, and I know that they exist for a reason.

Tony (or anyone else who answers the phone) at TravelScoot can tell you the exact MPH that the current models can run at... but I think that a stock TravelScoot could go faster than some of the rentals you will encounter. (full disclosure: I have not rented an ECV for nearly a decade now, because I have my own equipment) There are some rental vendors (especially WDW) who will put a "governor" (a speed-limiting device or modification) on a rental scooter, and some manufacturers will limit the top speed that the device theoretically could travel at for safety (and let's be honest - to help mitigate the amount/number of lawsuits from folks mowed over by users over-driving their capabilities in theme parks, shopping malls and other venues). Those giant, lumbering beasties that WDW rents at all 4 Parks are slowed to a point where it's painful for someone like me who is used to driving faster devices; I am pretty sure that even the average "shopper" cart at your local WalMart or Target runs faster than the WDW rental units.

Honestly, I don't honestly know what the "stock" speed is for a new TravelScoot; I do know that they are very nimble and easy to drive. The only reason I have not bought a new one yet is because between Angus and Max, I really don't need another one. They are ridiculously reliable, and have never let me down. That's how my Angus earned his name - like Merida's faithful horse, he has always brought me home safely from our adventures!

Short answer: It can go faster than Disney allows!

Disney has a very real, and very important rule that no device in the Parks should ever exceed "walking speed", and I *always* obey that rule, no matter what.

View attachment 664737

There are too many people, and too many chances that someone could get hurt (especially given how many folks have their noses buried in their phones while walking). I have never run any of my personal devices at full throttle at WDW. I respect all of the rules there, and I know that they exist for a reason.

Tony (or anyone else who answers the phone) at TravelScoot can tell you the exact MPH that the current models can run at... but I think that a stock TravelScoot could go faster than some of the rentals you will encounter. (full disclosure: I have not rented an ECV for nearly a decade now, because I have my own equipment) There are some rental vendors (especially WDW) who will put a "governor" (a speed-limiting device or modification) on a rental scooter, and some manufacturers will limit the top speed that the device theoretically could travel at for safety (and let's be honest - to help mitigate the amount/number of lawsuits from folks mowed over by users over-driving their capabilities in theme parks, shopping malls and other venues). Those giant, lumbering beasties that WDW rents at all 4 Parks are slowed to a point where it's painful for someone like me who is used to driving faster devices; I am pretty sure that even the average "shopper" cart at your local WalMart or Target runs faster than the WDW rental units.

Honestly, I don't honestly know what the "stock" speed is for a new TravelScoot; I do know that they are very nimble and easy to drive. The only reason I have not bought a new one yet is because between Angus and Max, I really don't need another one. They are ridiculously reliable, and have never let me down. That's how my Angus earned his name - like Merida's faithful horse, he has always brought me home safely from our adventures!
Thank you so much-- is it comfortable for a long distances? This is really helpful. I adore the names, btw. ❤️❤️

Thank you so much-- is it comfortable for a long distances? This is really helpful. I adore the names, btw. ❤️❤️

I would count "long distances" as a standard Disney day, and so... yes - for me - it is comfortable. As I said before, I did have to change out my seat after my emergency spinal fusion surgery, but up until then, I would ride with just the seat base (no seat back installed) and then hop on and off like a tricycle.

When you are riding the TravelScoot (or any of the similar style personal mobility devices) remember that you will have both hands out on the handlebars, like you are riding a bike. Oddly enough, it never really tired my arms or hands (I do recommend strongly getting the CrampBuster from TravelScoot's accessories selection - it makes the throttle *so* much easier to deal with) and I think because your arms are forward, but supported by the handlebars, it helps keep your back from getting too tired. That was my experience; obviously everyone has a different situation.

The type of seat that they provide with the TravelScoot is a very dense, comfortable foam that is kind of like an oversized bike seat. It sounds silly, but it works quit well, because it offers the most room between the seat and the steering column. That was one of the big downsides we noticed with a lot of potential replacement seats; often they would have such a large seat base that your knees would have been waaaaay out over your feet.

The seat can also be set up to swivel, so that it can be faced in any direction to sit down, and then the driver swivels around, and puts their feet on the pegs. (also, I can highly recommend the foot plates that they sell - they give a nice large surface for the driver to prop their feet on.)

The seat back is very clever - it can be positioned infinitely on the support pole, so that it is in exactly the right spot needed. Some folks seem to like it lower, others higher. When I would use it, I had mine adjusted to about the center of my back, but that would also depend on your height, I think! The seat back uses the same dense foam, and is made to add very little weight to the scooter while giving enough support for the user.

I know it's so tough trying to figure out something like this - it's a lot of money to spend without getting to see one in person, let alone try it out. If you can call TravelScoot sometimes they can help see if there is anyone in your area you can visit with to actually see one. (My first one (Max) I purchased used; Angus was brand new, and a gift from The Hubby after he saw how much I loved Max, and how much use I had of him in my daily life.)

The funny thing for me was that I instantly knew how to ride it, even though I had never been near one before! It was very intuitive for me, and I don't know if that is the case for everyone, but I took to it like a duck to water!

I do get stopped a lot in parking lots, and an average of 3 to 4 times a day at WDW with folks asking about it. I just keep a supply of TravelScoot's little business cards with me so that I can hand them out if people are really interested - that way the person has both their website, and their phone number handy when they get home. LOL not sure how many of them I have helped TravelScoot sell over the years, but I have sure handed out hundreds of those cards!

Probably the #1 comment I hear is that it looks "cool", or they see me getting it out of -or- putting it in the back of my Kia Soul with just the seat back put down, and they can't believe it. That's another one of the reasons I liked it initially - it doesn't really look like a "granny scooter". 😉

Oh - and the funniest comment I ever got about it was at WDW; another Guest looked it over, and said "Hey, where's the rest of your scooter?" 🤣

Hope that was helpful! 🙂

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter