• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Looking for on site vs. off site advice

disneymoon0606

Mouseketeer
(I cross-posters this from the Orlando hotels forum.)

We’re a family of five plus two grandparents looking to visit WDW early next December. The grandparents have timeshare points with Wyndham so we could likely stay at Bonnet Creek. We stayed there once years ago when it was just me and DH, and it was wonderful. But with three kids ages 5-11, plus the grandparents, I’m wondering if the flexibility of Disney’stransportation would make it worth it to spend extra to stay on site. We don’t have an unlimited budget. But then I think about not being able to make any meals at the hotel. I’d love some advice! Thanks!

You're questions a good one and one I've been struggling with for our brief trip next year.

We just stayed this past September at AKL and used the transportation daily. The bus wasn't too bad going places because we got a later start but coming home every evening we had to stand. So while it was convenient for part of the trip it wouldn't necessarily be something I would pay more for.

We're going next June for a long weekend and the difference between offsite and a value resort was 500.00 - that money would pay a for our meals for the 3 days.

Depends the driving situation, as you likely would need two cars.

The least expensive option would be to have the grandparents stay at a Disney resort and your family stay at Bonnet Creek. You would have plenty of room for your family and the grandparents would have privacy and ease of transportation.

If you can afford it and will be happy with your decision, I will always say stay on-site. More fun. Transportation will always be better in my opinion, unless you were planning to drive all the time anyways.

If budget is an issue, stay off-site.

If you can afford it but will constantly compare costs and what you "could have done" with money if you had chosen to stay off-site- stay off-site.

If you want to stay off-site regardless (because you just like it better), then just stay off-site.

Just as little as 2 years ago, I would have definitely said always on-site over off-site. But with all the WDW resort $$ increasesand and now paying to park, and the fact that a bunch of off-site hotels now get the same benefits as on-site resorts like FPs, EMHs etc. I would not hesitate to say off-site, but I do not know what is "worth it" to you in regards to Disney transportation. Do not forget, Uber is always an option when staying off-site. Personally, if I had the option of using points at WBC or paying to stay on-site, I would pick WBC.

7 people on site is EXPENSIVE no matter what your income bracket is. I would always always always choose to stay onsite whenever I can, but with 7 people and points available at WBC, seems like a 3 bedroom there is a no brainer. Even if you rent a car (tons of mini vans at MCO / assuming you aren't already driving) you'll still come out cheaper and have control of your transportation. And WBC is as close as several on site properties anyway

We spend very little time at the resort and stay onsite. Not having to pay transportation from the airport or renting a car and paying parking makes up for most of the cost difference of staying offsite.

We use Garden Grocers to have food and drink items sent to our room. We get bagels, milk, cereal etc. for our breakfasts. We bring a cheap throw away toaster (< $10 at Walmart) to use for toasting the bagels. We toss it out at the end of our trip to make room for souvenirs. Lunch and dinner are at the parks or other resorts.

Just throwing this out there but do the off-site hotels have park fees?

Disney (bus) transportation is convenient and "free", but it is slow. Lots of people on the boards swear by it, but I wouldn't really want to spend my entire trip using Disney bus transportation.

If you plan on having cars on-site, you'll have to pay the new daily hotel parking fees. If you're driving from an off site hotel, you'd have to pay for theme park parking. I guess this would turn out to be somewhat of a wash.

On-site hotels for 7 people are going to be expensive, even at a "value" resort. Unless you're staying in a deluxe villa, you won't have a kitchen. That is going to drive up your food costs because you'll need to eat every meal out. We are DVC members and don't cook on vacation, but we do eat breakfast in the room almost every day unless we're doing a character meal like 1900 Park Fare or Bon Voyage, etc.

Personally, it seems like the best option is using the WBC and using the money you would have spent on staying on-site for other things to enhance your trip (perhaps more character dining, etc.)

We are a family of 5 for our upcoming trip. I did quite a bit of research, and found Caribbean Beach Resort to be our best option. Sleeps 5 and was around $130/night for our trip. Free transportation to/from the airport and free Disney buses to the parks. I have paid more for hotels in Minneapolis or any large city in the US. When I was pricing off-site hotels there didn’t seem to be much of any savings after you include resort fees and transportation cost. If I were a party of 7 I would look into two value rooms (I saw All Stars had $88/night rates for our dates), or let the Grandparents stay at WBC and your family can stay at the cheapest onsite hotel that sleeps 5. GL!

We are a family of 4 and book one room usually moderate or deluxe. We almost always stay on site for several reasons even though we know we would save a little $ staying offsite. BUT we are on vacation and even though WDW and Disney are not all inclusive by any measure of trips we've done, having disney transportation available makes our trip that much more relaxing. We drive to disney from home so being able to be shuttled around is a nice perk. We sprinkle in some minnie van travel if need be but we've always done the buses/boats/monorail and have been fine. Just have to pack your patience and it all works fine.

We also like staying on site for the EMH, FP+ booking windows (which some offsites offer), theming and the ability to use our magicbands if we do any hotel purchases. There is a premium for that but in our view, we will gladly pay it as it makes our trip that much more enjoyable. We've stayed offsite and it's nice but just not the same.

I think your best bet is to run the numbers on lodging onsite v. offsite, parking fees, uber or whatever transport you may need and see where you come out. Keep in mind the disney resorts also charge for overnight guest parking. If you are only booking based on money, than you'll have that answer quickly but if you factor in convenience and other non-tangible items, you may come out "ahead" staying onsite.

We spend very little time at the resort and stay onsite. Not having to pay transportation from the airport or renting a car and paying parking makes up for most of the cost difference of staying offsite.

We use Garden Grocers to have food and drink items sent to our room. We get bagels, milk, cereal etc. for our breakfasts. We bring a cheap throw away toaster (< $10 at Walmart) to use for toasting the bagels. We toss it out at the end of our trip to make room for souvenirs. Lunch and dinner are at the parks or other resorts.
Disney hotels don't permit toasters in the room unless they are a DVC resort and a toaster is provided. You are able to use the toaster in the food court area without any problems.

Disney hotels don't permit toasters in the room unless they are a DVC resort and a toaster is provided. You are able to use the toaster in the food court area without any problems.

Could be true but we have never had any issues. Mousekeeping has never said anything. We always unplug it when not in the room.

Searching forums this topic has been discussed for over a decade. So far nobody has been able to find a written policy from Disney that discusses this. Would love to see something!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter