Looking for feedback- pros and cons of visiting WDW & Universal on same trip.

Penmac

Mouseketeer
I hope that it's OK to post this here since it is not only about WDW, but I think the viewers on this forum would be able to help! If I should have posted this elsewhere maybe someone can help to move it to the right spot. ;-)

We are a larger family who travel to Disney yearly. We stay offsite, bring our own food, and budget each dollar! But, now that all our kids are over the age of 3 (and all need a ticket), we may need to start visiting more like every 3 years due to rising ticket costs. Boo hoo :-(

This year, we are considering doing a visit to Universal as well since we have never been and may not be back in Orlando for quite some time. I am a big HP fan (books and movies), and my husband has enjoyed all the movies. My oldest three have all read some of the books. My oldest (4th grader) is almost done reading the series, so I feel like she has really earned a trip to the park!

I am looking for advice, opinions, input, etc, on doing both WDW and Universal during a 1 week stay. Since I am SO undecided on our plan I would love to hear it all! I know we will enjoy Universal, but splitting our time between the two park franchises seems a bit exhausting and I know it will be more expensive since multi-day tickets are a better value. In a perfect world we would spend most of our trip at WDW because we are die hard Disney fans, with a 1 day park to park visit to Universal. Since that scenario is astronomically expensive for 7 people and very little value, it's not possible.

Our two options are:

1. Purchase the 2 day park to park, 3 day free promo at Universal. NO express pass or early entry since we are offsite. Going week of 8/19.
Attend a Halloween party at MK in addition to an after 5pm convention pass I still have active that does not expire until year's end. We can't afford to purchase Universal and then WDW base tickets on top of that. We did the Halloween party in 2017 and the kids enjoyed it.

So, all in all two shorter days at MK and then multiple days at Universal (we likely won't go all 5 days since we are only there a week). Sacrificing Hollywood studios and Epcot, which is hard but MK takes priority for all of us. Ok with skipping AK. Just not sure we need more than 2 days at Universal and worried about the fact that making this trip more about Universal than Disney will be something we may regret since we won't be back for a while. But the pro of this scenario is getting more park days for the same value as below scenario.

2. Purchase a 2-day park hopper or 3-day base ticket to Disney to use in addition to our after 5 convention pass. So, either 3 or 4 days and enjoy pool days as well. Put Universal off until 2021 or 2022 when oldest is 12-13 and youngest is 5-6. Con of this is one BIG thing- missing out on the Wizarding World now which has been on my bucket list since it opened! Pro of this is being able to do more WDW parks.

The cost of these itineraries are very similar.

My kids don't really care one way or the other. They are just happy to be going to Florida again, knowing they won't be back for a while. This is mostly about my indecisiveness and worry over going back and forth to the two different park franchises. Since I haven't been to Universal ever I am erring more towards sticking with Disney and I realize this could also be a mistake. I should be willing to branch out and try something new.

Oh, and did I mention I don't do well with motion simulation? LOL

Would love to hear from anyone! :-)

Well I have faced your problem sort of. I have no desire to visit Universal especially after the demise of the Jaws ride. The 10 year old did however. I bought her and her mother a 2 day pass with that front of the line thing and I in those 2 days I added a 3rd day to both Magic Kingdom and HS. And I feel your pain about only going every 3rd year or so. In order to bring both girls I end up paying for 4-5 of their maternal relatives as well so it takes me 3 years to save up for a trip. Our last trip was 2018 at AKL. Our next trip isn't until 2021 and the girls want The Poly. Ouch says my wallet.

We have only ever included a Universal visit in the middle of our Disney trip. We usually go to WDW for 10 days, so have plenty of time at Disney and Universal too. I honestly don't know what the answer is for you.
Just a suggestion: If you are all Harry Potter fans, then you will absolutely LOVE that area of Universal. It is fantastic and unbelievably immersive. You feel that you are in Hogsmede or Diagon Alley. It is captivating for us HP fans:) The other experiences at Universal are a lot of fun too. We have been to both sides, but prefer Studios side.
It is pretty expensive for a day or 2 at Universal (tickets) and can really add up quickly, so be sure to check this out.
I found that by booking a room at one of their deluxe resorts, you can get 2 days early admission and EP's included. Just arrive by 7 am the day of your reservation, put your things in bell services, check in and get your tickets, EP's and go to the parks. Come back and get into your room later. The next day you can use your tickets and EP's up until closing the 2nd day, so you get 2 full days with free EP's. You do have to pay for park tickets, but we found it to be much cheaper that way.
I hope this helps somewhat.

Both parks are fun. For me, Universal is nice and enjoyable, but it's also quite a bit smaller and can be done in one day. The Harry Potter areas, while cool, aren't very big and could both be done within 2 hours. There's just more to see and do at Disney across the 4 parks. The trip where I went to Universal and Disney in one, I did Universal first. That way I saved the best for last, in my opinion. Universal also has quite a few thrill and simulator type of rides. The Harry Potter ride in the Hogwarts Castle made me feel pretty sick. None of the rides at Disney affect me quite like that.
But if you're really into Harry Potter I say spend a day there to have done it and experienced it. I really enjoy the areas, but just realize they aren't that big.

Well I have faced your problem sort of. I have no desire to visit Universal especially after the demise of the Jaws ride. The 10 year old did however. I bought her and her mother a 2 day pass with that front of the line thing and I in those 2 days I added a 3rd day to both Magic Kingdom and HS. And I feel your pain about only going every 3rd year or so. In order to bring both girls I end up paying for 4-5 of their maternal relatives as well so it takes me 3 years to save up for a trip. Our last trip was 2018 at AKL. Our next trip isn't until 2021 and the girls want The Poly. Ouch says my wallet.

The Poly! Wow. That’s like a fantasy of mine.
We have only ever included a Universal visit in the middle of our Disney trip. We usually go to WDW for 10 days, so have plenty of time at Disney and Universal too. I honestly don't know what the answer is for you.
Just a suggestion: If you are all Harry Potter fans, then you will absolutely LOVE that area of Universal. It is fantastic and unbelievably immersive. You feel that you are in Hogsmede or Diagon Alley. It is captivating for us HP fans:) The other experiences at Universal are a lot of fun too. We have been to both sides, but prefer Studios side.
It is pretty expensive for a day or 2 at Universal (tickets) and can really add up quickly, so be sure to check this out.
I found that by booking a room at one of their deluxe resorts, you can get 2 days early admission and EP's included. Just arrive by 7 am the day of your reservation, put your things in bell services, check in and get your tickets, EP's and go to the parks. Come back and get into your room later. The next day you can use your tickets and EP's up until closing the 2nd day, so you get 2 full days with free EP's. You do have to pay for park tickets, but we found it to be much cheaper that way.
I hope this helps somewhat.

Thanks for the insight. I appreciate it!!! We probably can’t maange an on-site stay in a deluxe because we would need two rooms. That could cost us upwards of $700/night, as opposed to the $140 we are paying for a 2 bedroom condo. Even with the convenience of express pass, I’m not sure I can justify that on top of the ticket price for 7 people.

We've done WDW/Uni split trips twice. The first time was when my DS was 7 and barely knew anything about HP (we went mostly for my sister on that trip). It was fun, but wasn't great. My DS, me and my sister, didn't do any of the thrill rides on that trip, so, while we enjoyed Hogwart's Express, walking around the lands, etc., it wasn't great. My DS then read all of the HP books in 4th grade and, as a reward, we did another WDW/Uni split and that one was much better. Then again, however, our focus was HP as he really wasn't interested in any of the other Uni rides. We basically got all of Uni done with park-to-park in one day and did Volcano Bay the next day. IMHO, I would save Uni for when your children are older. You mention your youngest won't be 5/6 until 2021/2022? I, personally, would wait until you can all enjoy a little more of the park.

We did this early December 2017. We spent 3 days visiting Universal/IoA and had a great time. We didn't wait for anything and had next to no lines including the HP area. Our one daughter was a little to young for most attractions and we were very underwhelmed by the Curious George area.(I'm not sure they still have it???)That being said the Dr. Seuss area was fantastic and we spent over half a day in that area. The Who's were awesome although I'm not sure they have them year around. The Grinch is our youngest favorite character to date. She calls the princesses "creepy" but fell in love with the Grinch.(Four kids later and I still can't understand them) He was fantastic and very much in character. It made for a great Christmas card. We are not Harry Potter fans but the area was first rate. Our kids were able to spend a lot of time alone with Scooby and the Gang which has always been a favorite. My family would do it again but I'm not sure I would recommend it for young children, WDW offers so much more for them. I would probably spend the money that you'd put into Universal and go to a water park, rent boats, or take a private fireworks cruise. Good luck deciding.

Both parks are fun. For me, Universal is nice and enjoyable, but it's also quite a bit smaller and can be done in one day. The Harry Potter areas, while cool, aren't very big and could both be done within 2 hours. There's just more to see and do at Disney across the 4 parks. The trip where I went to Universal and Disney in one, I did Universal first. That way I saved the best for last, in my opinion. Universal also has quite a few thrill and simulator type of rides. The Harry Potter ride in the Hogwarts Castle made me feel pretty sick. None of the rides at Disney affect me quite like that.
But if you're really into Harry Potter I say spend a day there to have done it and experienced it. I really enjoy the areas, but just realize they aren't that big.
I have heard the term “save the best for last before” from other Disney fanatics (like myself). This is my worry! I don’t want to be at Univsersal for 3-4 days, wishing I was at Disney instead!

We’re also a large family (5 kids and DH and me). We do 2 US days each trip. It’s expensive for a large family, there’s no way around that. I find that 2 days is enough time to do both parks(we don’t do the water one). We do one day concentrating on HP and everything else on the other day. So we do 2 US days and get a 10 day hopper for Disney. We don’t get the express pass due to cost, but it would be great to have. HP is the most amazingly themed area of any park I’ve ever seen, you’ll love it

I have done the split stay several times. Both Disney and Universal are great but Universal is geared toward older kids. Check the Universal website and make sure that your children make the height requirements on the rides you want to go to.

If you were doing a split stay would you recommend Universal in the middle or just start or end at Universal?

I normally either end or start the trip at Universal. I usually don't like going to Universal in the middle of the trip unless I am going for at least 2 weeks because we usually try to get a room at the deluxe hotel there to get express pass so that is additional move. Also, my family likes ending the trip with fireworks at one of the Disney park as a send off to the vacation.

Great thread! I'm in a similar position planning a 2020 trip, and really debating adding Universal. My oldest will be 13 at the time of the trip and LOVES HP, and my youngest will be 3. The budget just hasn't been lining up though, and it'll be the kids' first trip to WDW too so I'm worried that is just too much awesome all at the same time! But on the other hand, if I have to go more economical and cut out some spendier things, the kids have never been and won't even realize it!

If you have a chance, let us know what you end up doing :)

We have not yet done Universal, but are hoping to on our next trip. Personally I'd worry more about cost than value- can you swing a one day Universal ticket? What about only for you, the HP lover, and an older kid or two? I think when we go next my youngest will likely be 5, and my husband doesn't care about HP, so we will throw a Universal day in but only for my older girls (who probably be 11/12 and 13/14). Younger kid can get an extra day at Disney (cheaper because of multi-day tix) or a pool day or something similar with Dad. I think it will give us all what we will need/want at that point and yes, it will be expensive, but less so than buying tix for all of us!

We have not yet done Universal, but are hoping to on our next trip. Personally I'd worry more about cost than value- can you swing a one day Universal ticket? What about only for you, the HP lover, and an older kid or two? I think when we go next my youngest will likely be 5, and my husband doesn't care about HP, so we will throw a Universal day in but only for my older girls (who probably be 11/12 and 13/14). Younger kid can get an extra day at Disney (cheaper because of multi-day tix) or a pool day or something similar with Dad. I think it will give us all what we will need/want at that point and yes, it will be expensive, but less so than buying tix for all of us!

I was thinking the same thing, would the younger kids be ok skipping Universal? One day tickets for only a portion of the family would be much cheaper.

I've had this same debate, although with a much smaller family. We've never been to Universal, but my oldest is a big Harry Potter fan and has been dreaming of visiting. We did not add Universal when we went for our longer trip last year, it was just too much money on top of the Disney cost for the trip. We are doing a 3 day Disney cruise in February, and we've decided to add a couple Universal days on after the cruise. We're not planning to do any Disney park days that trip, so we'll have to get our fill from the cruise.

We loved Universal, but honestly, I am glad we didn't go until our youngest were 6. Even if that meant that my oldest had to wait until nearly 13 years old.

I would personally do option 2

We went to universal when youngest DS was 2. My older kids enjoyed it but said it was just OK. We did 2 days which was plenty but this was prior to HP world. DS2 stayed back with grandparents on day 2. Just wasn’t enough to keep him entertained. We went pre Disney cruise and that worked well for us. My 3 boys never wanted to go back but DD and SIL have been in California several times and love it, but it is more for the HP stuff

Good suggestions of checking height requirements first-that may help steer your decision.
Both parks are fun. For me, Universal is nice and enjoyable, but it's also quite a bit smaller and can be done in one day. The Harry Potter areas, while cool, aren't very big and could both be done within 2 hours.
Did you run from ride to ride and not stop, see any shows, go in any shops or watch or do any spells?? You can spend 2 hours doing spells in Diagon Alley alone! And so many people miss Knockturn alley completely.
Contrary to what many Disney fanatics believe Universal also has shows (lots in the HP areas alone), and theming, and lots of areas to discover. Universal does have more grown up rides compared to Disney sure, but also the gentler rides as well, in highly themed area (Suess area is amazing!). However-there are also more "dark" rides like Mummy and Kong and Forbidden Journey that can be startling to kids.

We generally only do both Universal and Disney when we go for 2 weeks, or we don't have the kids with us for shorter trips.
I love Disney, but we are enjoying just doing Universal for past couple (and upcoming) trips.

Good suggestions of checking height requirements first-that may help steer your decision.
Did you run from ride to ride and not stop, see any shows, go in any shops or watch or do any spells?? You can spend 2 hours doing spells in Diagon Alley alone! And so many people miss Knockturn alley completely.
Contrary to what many Disney fanatics believe Universal also has shows (lots in the HP areas alone), and theming, and lots of areas to discover. Universal does have more grown up rides compared to Disney sure, but also the gentler rides as well, in highly themed area (Suess area is amazing!). However-there are also more "dark" rides like Mummy and Kong and Forbidden Journey that can be startling to kids.

We generally only do both Universal and Disney when we go for 2 weeks, or we don't have the kids with us for shorter trips.
I love Disney, but we are enjoying just doing Universal for past couple (and upcoming) trips.
Lol, no we didn't run from ride to ride. But Diagon Alley is one ride and the rest are shops. Yeah, there are a few shows that go on, but it's nothing too fancy. You could
spend two hours doing spells, but I can't imagine that would be very fun or interesting after the first few times, especially when you can't get the spell to work. I'm not trying to be too harsh on the place, as I do enjoy it, but there just isn't as much to do there. The two HP areas are kind of small too, much like Avatar land, as it's a land within a park.

We’ve done a Universal/WDW split three times. My advice as a mama of four with a huge age gap:

If you and your oldest child are the HP fans, just the two of you go. Get the 1 day park-to-park and concentrate on just the HP areas. Anything else can be gravy. The rest of the party can have a pool day or extra day at Disney. Then, when all the kids are older, plan a few days for the whole family at Universal (and WDW, too, if time and budget allows).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!