• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

locks for ecvs

ladeb59

Earning My Ears
With recent posts regarding stolen strollers and ecvs, does anyone use any type of lock for their own personal ecv? Any suggestions or info would be appreciated. TIA

Strollers do go missing. But considering the vast number of strollers at WDW on any given day, I believe it’s relatively minuscule share that are stolen or misplaced.

I haven’t read any recent reports of stolen ECVs. Any lock must allow the CMs to move it (in freewheel mode).

Enjoy your vacation!

Posts where? Yes, there was a stroller stolen at WDW a few years ago, but not aware of it being a common occurrence.

Sorry, a bit off topic, but I think sometimes the issue is someone mistaking an ECV or stroller for their own because they can look similar.
Always put some type of "identifier" on yours. Tie a bright colored scarf or large ribbon to it. My Mom ties a lime green scarf on the front basket and has a purple cushion on the seat. Never had a problem.

I think in all the years that I have been both "lurking" and active here on the DIS I remember exactly 1 instance of an ECV being "stolen" - and even then it was a case of mistaken identity (someone grabbed the wrong identical unit) as I recall.

You can - and should - always take the key with you. If your ECV doesn't have a key (mine does not) then you can do like I do, and disconnect the battery, and I tuck the battery cable away so that it isn't easily visible.

Some folks place a "Tile" or other GPS tracking device somewhere on their ECV.

And always try to park in an area where there are visible CMs - it won't stop someone if they are determined, but most folks don't want to be "caught in the act".

I found this on Amazon and am considering getting it for my chair: Lock out pin for Powerchairs/Scooters

It is interesting. Although my battery chargers use an XLR plug, it is a 4 pin, rather than a standard 3 pin. But regardless, I agree with @kaytieeldr - it's kind of obvious! LOL nothing like a big 'ol red flag to grab their attention!

Additionally, I'm not sure that will actually work on all devices - it may depend on the charging circuits, and how the electronics in the battery packs as well as the chargers themselves have been programmed. It could even harm the battery - and the seller (while well-intentioned) probably isn't prepared to replace your battery pack(s) if that happens!

For example, the packs for my personal device actually have a "battery saver" feature in the internal electronics, to prevent the Lithium Ion pack from ever fully discharging, which could render it effectively un-chargeable again. I have been told by the manufacturer to never plug anything in to the charging port but the supplied charger, to make sure that something doesn't accidentally "fry" the battery.

It's easy enough to add a lock to an ECV. Amazon sells key switches cheap, like this one. Simply figure out which of the wires coming into the harness is the signal wire from your throttle and interrupt it with the key switch. Or the wire from the on/off switch. Just not the mainline from the battery or to the motor.

But let's be real, having your ECV or power wheelchair stolen is really unlikely. Unlike one of those expensive strollers, the market for an ECV is pretty small, and the risk of getting caught is pretty big.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter