List of rules for the kids

This is the list I use for my DS. It has been altered and updated over the years as he has gotten older (he is 16 now) but the basics stay the same. Hope this helps. :)

CRUISE RULES
None of these are optional​

You are not to enter any cabin without me. Ever.

No one is to enter our cabin except you.

If you are in our cabin alone, hang the “DO NOT DISTURB” sign on the door. Remember to remove it when you leave.

You are not to drink any beverage unless it is handed to you by me or a CM. You are not to drink anything that you have let out of your sight.

If you change locations from where you last said you were going to be, you need to either swing by the stateroom and write it on the white board (including the time), or use a house phone somewhere and leave a message in our stateroom voicemail box.

Do not hang out, horse around or run in the stairwells, hallways or elevators.

Your curfew will be decided on each day. It will vary depending on the teen activities that are planned, and what time we need to start the next day.

Your KTTW card is tied to my credit card even though you have your own funds on there. It is up to you to check your balance daily. If you lose your KTTW card, notify Guest Services immediately.

Our dining time for dinner is 8pm, so you will need to make sure you allow yourself enough time to finish whatever you’re doing and head back to the cabin with enough time to get yourself ready and either leave with me at 7:45or meet me at the dining room entrance by 7:45 (or earlier if we’re taking pictures, which I will let you know about ahead of time.)

If you order room service, don’t forget to tip them. You know where the tip money is. Also don’t forget to gather up any dishes/silverware/napkins/etc. as neatly as possible for the room steward.

If we arrange a check-in time and you miss it by more than 15 minutes, then you will spend the rest of that day with me or in the cabin.

I expect you to be the Southern gentleman you have been raised to be, using please, thank you, and excuse me at all times. Hold the doors for people, allow people to get off of the elevator before you step on. Being on vacation is never an excuse for leaving manners at home.

Handwashing is a must!! If unable to wash your hands with soap and water, you will always have hand sanitizer available. USE IT!

No going to the outside areas of the upper deck at night.

Do not leave the stateroom a mess. The room steward has enough to do!
Keep all of your valuables in the cabin safe.

Always, always treat the ship crew members with respect, every last one of them. You know how they always go out of their way to make our cruises special and happy – go out of your way to smile and say “hello”.

All those people on the Roll Call list? They’ve all seen your picture and know you’re my son. If you’re acting like an idiot somewhere onboard, I WILL find out about it.
:rolleyes1

Wow! My kids are 2 and 4 but this I need to save for the future! Behavior and manners are SO important and I don't think enough parents teach these things. I'm sure just by reading this you have nothing to worry about. By this point you have taught him how to be a gentleman and I'm sure it is second nature. GOOD JOB MAMA BEAR!!!:thumbsup2

I still haven't decided what to do with her iPhone yet, but we had a LONG talk about international costs - data & texting, not just calls. What I want to do is temporarily disable text, all apps that use data and phone calls while on the cruise, essentially turning it into an iTouch. But that doesn't seem possible. So I will probably just lock it up.

Put the phone in airplane mode and shut off the data services. You can do these under Settings. Then she can use it as a camera and for music or whatever - but no making or receiving calls or texts or data. You would have to trust her not to turn that stuff back on though.

All kids should be instructed to stay out of other staterooms (that do not belong to their party) and against inviting anyone into their stateroom.

I know each child has to have a wrist band that they wear the entire cruise. Are those trackable by the wave phones?

No, they are not trackable at all. What they do is "know" when the kids go in or out of the kids' club.

BAT said:
No, they are not trackable at all. What they do is "know" when the kids go in or out of the kids' club.

And kids do not have to wear them the entire cruise. They only have to wear them when they are in the clubs on the ship. :)

My kids asked us to take them off at night. They also don't need them in the kids club on Castaway Cay. They don't have scanners there, so they will just issue a band without attaching the tracker. That reduces the risk of losing it while swimming!

Funny you mention this. This was one of the FIRST things we discussed with our 14yo once our cruise was booked. I still haven't decided what to do with her iPhone yet, but we had a LONG talk about international costs - data & texting, not just calls. What I want to do is temporarily disable text, all apps that use data and phone calls while on the cruise, essentially turning it into an iTouch. But that doesn't seem possible. So I will probably just lock it up.

We are traveling with one of her best friends, who I am 99% positive will have her iPhone with her the whole time. Alone, I'm fairly certain that my daughter would respect the rules and her worst infraction would be responding to a text with 'can't talk on cruise see you in a week". With peer influence (her friend is a phoneaholic) I'm pretty sure we'd both be coming home with crazy bills. We're not leaving the phone at home because we're going to Disney the week before and the girls will be allowed some freedom in the parks and need the phone to get in touch with us.

Then the debate is on about the wave phone. lol

Our boys turn their iPhones to airplane mode once we step onboard the ship. It will not work for anything that requires an internet or wireless signal. Music and standalone apps only.

Hi,
iPhone's in airplane mode can still use wireless. You just have to re-enable wireless after you put the phone into airplane mode.

One money saving solution is to call your carrier, give them the dates you will be on the ship, and have them disable long distance calls, data roaming etc. for those dates. I do this when I go overseas and it works very well. The phone is always on again on the date I specify.

Be sure to go into Network settings and turn off data roaming and cellular data and also turn off things like push notifications and location services.

Cheers

Karen

Would I be going a little overboard if I told my girls 12 & 13 that they are not allowed on the verandah when an adult is not in the room? Pun intended!

Would I be going a little overboard if I told my girls 12 & 13 that they are not allowed on the verandah when an adult is not in the room? Pun intended!

My daughters will be 11 and 12 on our next cruise and they are never allowed on the balconies without an adult unless they are sitting down and we can see them at all times. I am paranoid that way and I get many an eye roll. But tough! :)

SteamboatWillie1021 said:
Wow! My kids are 2 and 4 but this I need to save for the future! Behavior and manners are SO important and I don't think enough parents teach these things. I'm sure just by reading this you have nothing to worry about. By this point you have taught him how to be a gentleman and I'm sure it is second nature. GOOD JOB MAMA BEAR!!!:thumbsup2

Awesome list. And just like you there is never ever a vacation from manners.... my kids know I expect them to always behave as appropriate young ladies.

Thank you soo much for all the great tips! My DS's are 8 and 10 and pretty well mannered. ;-) But even that, I will totally be sharing every single one of these with them. Also I made a sign on ver bright paper to attach to the inside of our door that calls out:

Remember
Please and Thanks you's
Be little men (they know this means to hold doors, help any one that needs help like the elderly)
No running, climbing, or jumping on anything
Make friends, not enemies
Eat 75% of every meal

Lol my mother never taught me these things! On my next cruise I'm either going to feel really prepaired, or really paranoid.

I love all the suggestions. Maybe the title should be suggestions for all cruisers. It would be one big happy cruise if everyone was kind, polite, thoughtful, respectful, safe and happy! I'm going to write out a list and remind my cruisers.

I love all the rules, and I will be subscribing for sure! Our DD is only 9, and we will be cruising with family, another 9 year old and a 7 year old. A lot of the rules are not applicable, but many are pretty universal, regardless of age! I also picked up tips for DH's and my cell phones, hadn't thought much about them! Thanks!

All those people on the Roll Call list? They’ve all seen your picture and know you’re my son. If you’re acting like an idiot somewhere onboard, I WILL find out about it.[/i] :rolleyes1

I love this! Nothing better than ensuring your kids behave than letting them know mom has connections and will know EVERYTHING you do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
All those people on the Roll Call list? They’ve all seen your picture and know you’re my son. If you’re acting like an idiot somewhere onboard, I WILL find out about it.[/i]

I love this! Nothing better than ensuring your kids behave than letting them know mom has connections and will know EVERYTHING you do!

of course that depends on if they decide to say anything. On one of the cruises I was on with a group of poel from a message board I saw one of their teens running up a set of stairs. He stopped and looked at me as he definitely knew I knew his mom and dad, I didn't say anything to either of them as in my mind he didn't really o anything as him and the rest of the group just walked away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter