Latest School Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if they are mentally ill they are obviously not in a proper placement if they are hurting themselves and others and disrupting learning for all. And it is not ok for parents to send a child to school with a diagnosed mental illness and not tell anyone and then continue to allow said student to harm people around them. That is the problem - why is that an excuse? Why is that ok?? Let's actually try to help the mentally ill, even if they are a 5, or 4, or 3, etc.

I agree. Medical diagnosis or not, if the other children are not safe around them, they don't belong in a regular classroom.

Sometimes, small children need adults to physically intervene when they're out of control. When they get really overwhelmed, they don't know how to calm down on their own.

Yes, really my point was how are these kids still in the classroom with the other students--it seems like a terrible thing for all really. The parents in these cases don't care but we did wonder if they could remove the students that are the issue into a different classroom where there was more one on one if their behavioral problems would lessen to an extent. I'm so surprised they haven't even tried that but I imagine there's got to be some reason why (I hope at least).

The teacher's hands are tied in the situation but I geniunely didn't know these kids went beyond verbal altercations (which are bad enough) to throwing desks and destroying school property and trashing the classroom.

And yes I do agree illness or not it's not ok to have this going on.

Pretty violent country is everyone needs a gun to defend themselves.

That statement is certainly open for dispute with the war of 1812 but that is another topic.
Yes...
Life is violent.
No amount of "Civilization" has ever removed the fact that Humans must be prepared to defend themselves, their families, and their country, from those who are Hell bent upon taking what is not theirs to take.
The comment attributed to Admiral Yamamoto "America can never be invaded because there is a gun behind every blade of grass." may be a misquote but the sentiment is entirely correct.
As for the 1812 "Disagreement" between the U.S. and England, let's just say we don't have British accents and prefer Bourbon to Guinness. :)

High schools across the nation? Why only high schools? Isn't the risk there at all levels (Sandy Hook for one was an elementary school)?

Schools do things differently depending on their individual characteristics. They don't always work out either and it's rarely a 1 sized fits all solution. If it's one thing we've learned on the DIS it's that our school systems do things differently, sometimes vastly.

I said I was thinking of high schools. I didn’t say anything about risks. But one at an elementary school vs however many at a high school sort of proves the point.

No there isn’t a one size fits all solution for any of this. But there ARE ways to make schools safer. And arguing every point is part of the problem.

It's interesting you mentioned that. I just got back from my cousin's high school graduation party. My aunt, who teaches in elementary school, was discussing her experiences (as usual lol). She said this year was the worst in her long career she's had.

The protocal is the teacher cannot touch the student, which understandable, is also a problem. The reason it's a problem is some of her kids are so unruly that they actually can hurt someone. They have destroyed school property, trashed her room and thrown desks! Seriously thrown desks around and at times at her. And this is multiple kids. There are ones that refused to listen when it's time to move on to something, ones that scream and scream and scream, ones that yell profanities, and call anyone stupid, tell them to go to hell, amongst other things.

And their protocal is to evacuate the classroom, leave the child who is having the issue in the classroom and contact the parents. They've taken counselors out of the school but do have social worker that can help. They've had to call the police several times because of certain kids. Sometimes for several hours she's had to relocate her classroom elsewhere.

I seriously cannot believe these kids are still in this school much less still in the regular classrooms and these are elementary school kids! These aren't kids that are autistic or on the spectrum. They are however kids who severely lack active parenting. One of her parents insisted their child was being bullied but per my aunt he's actually the person who bullies.

I just stared at her aghast. I have no idea how these kids will be come middle or high school but unfortunately in this climate the schools enable the behavior, the parents enable the behavior and the teachers and fellow students are left with extreme interruptions to their education.

Having police on campus would help this.

Besides, a child without any type of mental illness does not throw desks at people. There is more of a problem there than lack of parental involvement or discipline.

Do these schools not have an alternative school? Our district has one for high school and one for elementary. Kids with these types of behavior problems go there. Some stay and some don’t but it’s gets the ball rolling to get something done

What I was trying to get across is that perhaps the first move would be towards banning SOME common weapons, such as the famous AR-15s. I'll bet that with less weapons of the same lethality in circulation, shootings will decline.

You know, I'm not sure it would even have to go that far. Better background check processes and real consequences for parents or others who allow third parties to get hold of their weapons and use them in the commission of a crime would probably go a long way without banning a single thing or infringing on the rights of any law-abiding gun owner. But the current state of things just can't go on - I know parents who lock up their alcohol because they don't want the consequences should their teens get into it, but they leave their guns unsecured and accessible to their kids. And most of them do it out of completely unreasonable fear, like I mentioned in my first response to the thread - we live in an area where the most serious crimes on the police blotter most weeks are loud music and parking lot hit-and-runs and occasional DUIs, but so many people feel like they need a gun on them or accessible in seconds at all times, to defend themselves "just in case".

I was thinking more of high schools and there are schools that do this. Students that have more credits than they need so choose a later start time or early release time. Bells don’t go off at different times, they know when they can leave.

Your initial comment to a poster was-
Besides, those are easy targets now and it doesn’t happen that way. People keep bringing up football games, after school, whatever. ALL of those exist now and yet it doesn’t usually happen. It’s during school so perhaps we can start where it’s happening?

Is the underlined not the case at every school if you're thinking about it?

Well there of course wouldn’t be one plan for all schools, just as there isn’t now.

Each school or district would have to figure out what works for them. Just as they do now.

You've called for metal detectors, one entrance, staggered start and end times, etc. I'm totally fine with each school (meaning each elementary, middle/junior high, and high school) in each district in each county in each state looking at what they can specifically do for them. I'm not ok with implementing it on a mass national level, especially when none of the put forth ideas have actually been tested for efficacy.

At the high school my kids attended, it wouldn’t be necessary. 600 students. Some ride the bus, most drive. All go in through the front door and walking through a metal detector wouldn’t slow them down a whole lot.
My high school had around 2,000 students. I don't even know how many doors there was but a lot more than 3 as the previous poster mentioned and having them all enter 1 would be an absolute nightmare--the front door of the high school I graduated from led right to the admin offices..so not a good place for the only entrance and by means of a metal detector.

In the district I'm in right now there are over 30,000 students enrolled throughout all the grades.

I said I was thinking of high schools. I didn’t say anything about risks. But one at an elementary school vs however many at a high school sort of proves the point.

No there isn’t a one size fits all solution for any of this. But there ARE ways to make schools safer. And arguing every point is part of the problem.
I guess this goes back to your comment earlier-appearantly you don't value the safety of all students you value only those at the high school level.

I'm challenging you on your points because I'm honestly not positive you've fully thought them out (such as funding, efficacy, actual measures done, who they are applied to, etc). I think you're coming from a good place. Back when the government shut down my comment on the DIS was "I don't want just anything to be passed just to say they gave an inch so to speak." My comment still stands.

Besides, a child without any type of mental illness does not throw desks at people. There is more of a problem there than lack of parental involvement or discipline.

Do these schools not have an alternative school? Our district has one for high school and one for elementary. Kids with these types of behavior problems go there. Some stay and some don’t but it’s gets the ball rolling to get something done
There is an alternative school yes and we were surprised they haven't been sent there. Frankly I don't know how the alternative school works with elementary aged students I've only known personal stories from middle or high school students.

I guess you don't know anger issues/lack of consistent punishment and follow through then? Plus it's hard to make that sort of comment YKWIM? Otherwise we wouldn't have road rage out there and other forms of aggression..unless we could just simply say "well they've got to have a mental illness". I suppose you've never thrown something in your life? If you have I guess I could make the call you've got a mental illness. Certaintly a desk is a real issue but throwing anything they have within reach such as chairs, books, even the iPads they have have happened (seriously don't like how elementary school aged kids have iPads but anywho).

I don't think the police officers can or maybe more appropriately should touch the child until the parent has been called and reached as per the protocol. I don't know all the rules and whatnot because this was a conversation that didn't go into all the depths but by then all the other students and the teacher have had to evacuate the classroom per the protocol which is a vicious circle as it's already disrupted the class.

rules.

I think this is a big misconception for people who don't know anyone in education. Yes, kids without mental illness throw desks and hit and kick. Their parents call it anxiety or frustration or the teachers fault for being "mean" or the school fault for being too demanding. Or they tell their kids the rules are stupid or their teachers don't know what they are talking about or undermine every decision until their kids lack respect for anything and anyone.

There are children with underlying conditions that act out as part of their disability. However, many times this is at times where there are demands made (such as to listen to a teacher or do work or work with others) which are the cornerstones of being in school. And because of FAPE laws they must be in the general education setting as much as possible where those demands are ongoing. The disabilities must be pretty significant for a child to be out of the general education classroom in elementary school for any long period of time daily. Therefore, the things that must happen in a classroom for learning are the things that cause meltdowns and acting out. Parents get angry with the teacher or school for upsetting their child, everyone walks on eggshells while no one learns because we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or make anyone mad, we slowly try to reintroduce learning and structure in the classroom, kid melts down, and so the cycle goes....

There are alternative schools but getting a student to them in elementary is a long process. Throwing a desk doesn't even get kids sent to the principal at my school, we are expected to handle that kind of thing in the room!

Yes...
Life is violent.
No amount of "Civilization" has ever removed the fact that Humans must be prepared to defend themselves, their families, and their country, from those who are Hell bent upon taking what is not theirs to take.
The comment attributed to Admiral Yamamoto "America can never be invaded because there is a gun behind every blade of grass." may be a misquote but the sentiment is entirely correct.
As for the 1812 "Disagreement" between the U.S. and England, let's just say we don't have British accents and prefer Bourbon to Guinness. :)

You keep missing the point. The only country in the civilized world that has this type of gun culture is the USA. Other countries still allow for gun ownership yet most don't feel the need for everyone to have a gun to protect themselves.

1812 didn't really have either side winning.

Your initial comment to a poster was-

Is the underlined not the case at every school if you're thinking about it?

You've called for metal detectors, one entrance, staggered start and end times, etc. I'm totally fine with each school (meaning each elementary, middle/junior high, and high school) in each district in each county in each state looking at what they can specifically do for them. I'm not ok with implementing it on a mass national level, especially when none of the put forth ideas have actually been tested for efficacy.

My high school had around 2,000 students. I don't even know how many doors there was but a lot more than 3 as the previous poster mentioned and having them all enter 1 would be an absolute nightmare--the front door of the high school I graduated from led right to the admin offices..so not a good place for the only entrance and by means of a metal detector.

In the district I'm in right now there are over 30,000 students enrolled throughout all the grades.

I guess this goes back to your comment earlier-appearantly you don't value the safety of all students you value only those at the high school level.

I'm challenging you on your points because I'm honestly not positive you've fully thought them out (such as funding, efficacy, actual measures done, who they are applied to, etc). I think you're coming from a good place. Back when the government shut down my comment on the DIS was "I don't want just anything to be passed just to say they gave an inch so to speak." My comment still stands.

The comment about football games was just that football games. She said if there are metal detectors at in the schools then the shooters will go to the ball games. So not sure how that has anything to do with the rest of it. The shootings aren’t usually happening at football games they are happening in school. In school is where we need something done.

The district has to decide what will work at EACH school. If they were required to have metal detectors then they would do so.

I don’t have the money to fund it. I don’t work for a school district. I haven’t figured out funding because it’s not my job to figure out funding. They have folks that do that. I see a school with many thousands to spend on a pro quality score board and yet says “we can’t afford safety measures”. Yeah, don’t give me that. There is much wasted money. Put our kids first and their education and their safety first.

I will not honor the statement about valuing children’s lives as it is an ignorant statement. I have 3 grandchildren that age. Do you honestly believe I do t value their lives?

rules.

I think this is a big misconception for people who don't know anyone in education. Yes, kids without mental illness throw desks and hit and kick. Their parents call it anxiety or frustration or the teachers fault for being "mean" or the school fault for being too demanding. Or they tell their kids the rules are stupid or their teachers don't know what they are talking about or undermine every decision until their kids lack respect for anything and anyone.

There are children with underlying conditions that act out as part of their disability. However, many times this is at times where there are demands made (such as to listen to a teacher or do work or work with others) which are the cornerstones of being in school. And because of FAPE laws they must be in the general education setting as much as possible where those demands are ongoing. The disabilities must be pretty significant for a child to be out of the general education classroom in elementary school for any long period of time daily. Therefore, the things that must happen in a classroom for learning are the things that cause meltdowns and acting out. Parents get angry with the teacher or school for upsetting their child, everyone walks on eggshells while no one learns because we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or make anyone mad, we slowly try to reintroduce learning and structure in the classroom, kid melts down, and so the cycle goes....

There are alternative schools but getting a student to them in elementary is a long process. Throwing a desk doesn't even get kids sent to the principal at my school, we are expected to handle that kind of thing in the room!

Lol. I worked in public schools for years. My sister is a retired teacher. Am very close friends with two former district superintendents and friends enough with another to have conversations about these things with.

I have a nephew who had anger issues as a result of learning disabilities.

As an employee of a public school I had one student who I will always remember. He was violent at times. His teacher would have to literally drag him to the office until the principal agreed to allow her to call the office to have him come to her. He was sent to alternative school and part of not getting expelled was his mom had to agree to allow counseling. The child was abused. Severely and that was why he was acting out. He got the help he needed.

If throwing a desk will not get a kid sent to the office, the problem is administration.

I don’t have the money to fund it. I don’t work for a school district. I haven’t figured out funding because it’s not my job to figure out funding. They have folks that do that. I see a school with many thousands to spend on a pro quality score board and yet says “we can’t afford safety measures”. Yeah, don’t give me that. There is much wasted money. Put our kids first and their education and their safety first.
That was sorta my point. Whenever I questioned you about the hows you for the most part ignored them. It's easy to say 'the funds will just come from somewhere' 'you should just have X and Y' but it's not quite as easy.

I don't disagree that there are things to be done but I don't agree with doing them at the school level. I greatly agree with funds being spent on studying incidents for commonalities because I'm much more for looking for causes and if we can tackle that, for better mental health and an overhaul on how we handle warning signs from all sorts of levels, etc.

But I do know that in order for that to happen realistically things would be cut and it would need to come from Federal money. State funding cannot adequately handle the amount of funds needed. I'm assuming it would be billions of dollars spent and I don't want things that most find vital to be cut; unfortunately one of the easiest things to cut is in the education sector. Transportation funds are another one (so think road upkeep and improvements), public assistances programs too. I think, ironically, a study would need to be done to figure out how they would come up with the funding to even doing anything. Would be a terrible idea to just start in on stuff assuming the money will just be there.

I will not honor the statement about valuing children’s lives as it is an ignorant statement. I have 3 grandchildren that age. Do you honestly believe I do t value their lives?
It wasn't an ignorant statement. Earlier on I spoke about a poster's comment regarding the death rate being higher in car accidents compared to school shootings. I spoke about metal detectors and their costs associated with them, etc.

and you made the comment

And until we make our kids lives important enough to come up with that money, its going to continue. Really sad that we do not value them more.

However, now you're only speaking about doing certain things at the high school level. If your point is we don't value our kids more my point was why value only high school over other schools? They all inherently have people coming and going in large enough groups, they all have the ability to have someone come in with a gun (be it a student or someone else), they all have the ability to have students with severe problems that should have been disclosed and dealt with seriously, etc. Therefore I can't see why impementing something at one level over another is good if the point is all the kids deserved to be safe at all times. If another Sandy Hook happened and you only had metal detectors at the high school level or staggered start times at the high school level what do you think would be the rallying cries then?

If throwing a desk will not get a kid sent to the office, the problem is administration.
Well that was sorta my point. As is with the climate today the school districts are less likely to take a much firmer hand on situations. It's not entirely their fault but I do think a shift has occured. I do think there are pros and cons to the shift though.

It's obviously an over simplification and over generalization but my mind went to this comic strip when my aunt was talking with me:

upload_2018-5-19_21-38-30.png

The time she told me where the principal, the vice principal/assistant principal, the social worker, the police and the parents were involved was when the student threw desks and chairs as well as trashed the room and destroyed school property all on one incident. However any one of those actions by itself would be unlikely to have the principal involved. I believe the social worker (sorta a replacement for the counselor) would be the one involved only but after the parents have been called.

I forged my mom's signature in middle school 1 time on a progress report (I knew forging was bad) because I forgot to get her signature and it was required and I got ISS for 3 days. I was also in deep crap with my parents about it. The kids at my aunt's elementary school create complete chaos and get barely any correction in large part to how the climate is nowadays. The schools have to be very careful in general to how they handle discipline.

That was sorta my point. Whenever I questioned you about the hows you for the most part ignored them. It's easy to say 'the funds will just come from somewhere' 'you should just have X and Y' but it's not quite as easy.

I don't disagree that there are things to be done but I don't agree with doing them at the school level. I greatly agree with funds being spent on studying incidents for commonalities because I'm much more for looking for causes and if we can tackle that, for better mental health and an overhaul on how we handle warning signs from all sorts of levels, etc.

But I do know that in order for that to happen realistically things would be cut and it would need to come from Federal money. State funding cannot adequately handle the amount of funds needed. I'm assuming it would be billions of dollars spent and I don't want things that most find vital to be cut; unfortunately one of the easiest things to cut is in the education sector. Transportation funds are another one (so think road upkeep and improvements), public assistances programs too. I think, ironically, a study would need to be done to figure out how they would come up with the funding to even doing anything. Would be a terrible idea to just start in on stuff assuming the money will just be there.

It wasn't an ignorant statement. Earlier on I spoke about a poster's comment regarding the death rate being higher in car accidents compared to school shootings. I spoke about metal detectors and their costs associated with them, etc.

and you made the comment

However, now you're only speaking about doing certain things at the high school level. If your point is we don't value our kids more my point was why value only high school over other schools? They all inherently have people coming and going in large enough groups, they all have the ability to have someone come in with a gun (be it a student or someone else), they all have the ability to have students with severe problems that should have been disclosed and dealt with seriously, etc. Therefore I can't see why impementing something at one level over another is good if the point is all the kids deserved to be safe at all times. If another Sandy Hook happened and you only had metal detectors at the high school level or staggered start times at the high school level what do you think would be the rallying cries then?

It was an ignorant statement. No way around it. I already told you that I stated I was thinking about high schools in the moment that I posted. I wasn’t talking about risks more at one than another. I did say that one vs many shows where the attention is needed most. If you can’t understand that, I simply do not know what to tell you.

I tell you what, since nothing will work maybe we should do just that nothing. I mean it’s working so well.

It was an ignorant statement. No way around it. I already told you that I stated I was thinking about high schools in the moment that I posted. I wasn’t talking about risks more at one than another. I did say that one vs many shows where the attention is needed most. If you can’t understand that, I simply do not know what to tell you.

I tell you what, since nothing will work maybe we should do just that nothing. I mean it’s working so well.
Mmmkk..we're talking past each other on that subject.

Speaking towards a few of your points-

For the schools that I went to in the district I went to elementary school started at 8:10am (got out 3:10pm), middle at 8:45am (got out at 3:45pm) and high school at 7:40am (got out at 2:40pm).

Buses were shared between them. For me I was the 3rd bus stop for high school (I can't remember middle school and for elementary we were too close to qualify for free busses so we just walked the relatively short way or were dropped off by the in-home daycare centers I went to) and was picked up at 6:50am arriving at school around 7:10am-7:15am. That bus would then go and start picking up elementary kids and then move on to middle school kids.

Leaving school was the same.

Our district loops busses as well. High School is 6:45-2:45, elementary is 7:30-3:30, and we're 8:05-4:05.

Our high school has the following in place (it's about 7 years old so is better equipped than the 60 year old school I teach in): There is only two doors you can enter before school and both doors have teachers and security scanning students as they enter. After period 1 begins, which all students have regardless of year or credits, the only door that you can enter is the main door. To enter after school has begun, you must buzz in, state your name and reason for being there, and then upon entering the first door you're in a vestibule. Here you show your ID to the security guard and he scans your license and you sign in. If you're cleared to enter you are then buzzed in to the school and walked to the office by another security guard.

If anyone opens, exits, or props an outside door open, an alarm goes off and security screens immediately focus on that door to see what's going on. If needed, within seconds garage-type doors close in all classroom wings, making it impossible to get to a classroom.

The high school has an SRO, which is not a rent-a-cop like some think- he is a city police officer assigned to the high school. They also have 4 security guards.

While this sounds pretty safe, there are still ways to get a weapon in the building. Even schools with metal detectors have had students sneak weapons in.

Meanwhile, all of the other schools in our district are between 50 and 70 years old. Actually there is one elementary that is 10 years old and is also updated like the high school. The rest of us laugh at the lack of heat in the winter and complain when our classrooms are 85+ degrees. I was actually told to stop complaining about the heat in my room. This past week it was 80 outside and 98 in my room. I also was told I could no longer put pictures of my digital clock with temperature on FB when my classroom reached a high of 53 one day. Half the lights don't work in my room (inside room, no windows). As a safety complaint, if they use the speaker to announce a lockdown or lockout, we can't hear it if the kids are playing. I've asked that they install a red light at turns on when an announcement is made, like they have in the band and orchestra rooms at the high school, but they can't because the infrastructure can't handle the extra load.

So if we want to make schools safer, people need to pony up the money. No matter what safety measure is put into place it's going to cost money.

Our high school has the following in place (it's about 7 years old so is better equipped than the 60 year old school I teach in): There is only two doors you can enter before school and both doors have teachers and security scanning students as they enter. After period 1 begins, which all students have regardless of year or credits, the only door that you can enter is the main door. To enter after school has begun, you must buzz in, state your name and reason for being there, and then upon entering the first door you're in a vestibule. Here you show your ID to the security guard and he scans your license and you sign in. If you're cleared to enter you are then buzzed in to the school and walked to the office by another security guard.

If anyone opens, exits, or props an outside door open, an alarm goes off and security screens immediately focus on that door to see what's going on. If needed, within seconds garage-type doors close in all classroom wings, making it impossible to get to a classroom.

The high school has an SRO, which is not a rent-a-cop like some think- he is a city police officer assigned to the high school. They also have 4 security guards.

While this sounds pretty safe, there are still ways to get a weapon in the building. Even schools with metal detectors have had students sneak weapons in.

Meanwhile, all of the other schools in our district are between 50 and 70 years old. Actually there is one elementary that is 10 years old and is also updated like the high school. The rest of us laugh at the lack of heat in the winter and complain when our classrooms are 85+ degrees. I was actually told to stop complaining about the heat in my room. This past week it was 80 outside and 98 in my room. I also was told I could no longer put pictures of my digital clock with temperature on FB when my classroom reached a high of 53 one day. Half the lights don't work in my room (inside room, no windows). As a safety complaint, if they use the speaker to announce a lockdown or lockout, we can't hear it if the kids are playing. I've asked that they install a red light at turns on when an announcement is made, like they have in the band and orchestra rooms at the high school, but they can't because the infrastructure can't handle the extra load.

So if we want to make schools safer, people need to pony up the money. No matter what safety measure is put into place it's going to cost money.

Well of course they do. Never implied that it would be free.

Your school may not be perfect but it has safety measures that other schools do not have. And all schools need to be required to have more than they do. All I am saying is that every school should be made as safe as possible. Can they make it perfect? Of course not but they can make them safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter