Know Before You Go Updated - May 17 - Testing rule changes

Let us know how it goes. This is probably the method we'll use. We have a lot of those free government tests.
Just did our Onpoint testing with the free govt tests (binax now). DD18 and I did the first appt, DH had his 1/2 hr later. Our person didn't understand how the binax tests work and was trying to get us to put the swab into the bottle... finally convinced him that's not how this test works. (DHs appt went very smoothly though with a different person.) It was the first time we've tested ourselves but I had looked at the instructions online in advance and watched a tutorial. He asked our confirmation #s, birthdates, email address to send results--he typed the email address in chat, it was wrong, so he fixed it. We showed him the results, negative. I got emails about 15 minutes later to log in and see results and the email with the PDF (more official looking) version was sent in another email a few minutes after the other emails--thats the one I used to upload results to safe passage.

A couple things to watch out for.. about half the email reminders went into my spam folder, including the notification that DHs virtual room # (and zoom meeting code) was changed. This happened a day before... luckily some of the emails were coming through so I was trying to figure out why he had a new virtual room #.

In the end, it was very easy, much better testing at home before heading to the airport in a few hours...but still nerve wracking. It's definitely a good low cost option while DCL is still requiring tests.

And finally we are going back on a cruise!!! Last one was 2018 since 2020 was cancelled. So excited!!! First time on the Fantasy, castaway cay, pirate night, Western Caribbean, verandah, and having the kids both be adults now.

Just did our Onpoint testing with the free govt tests (binax now). DD18 and I did the first appt, DH had his 1/2 hr later. Our person didn't understand how the binax tests work and was trying to get us to put the swab into the bottle... finally convinced him that's not how this test works. (DHs appt went very smoothly though with a different person.)
Oh hmmm. I was going to use the BinaxNow tests because I feel like they are easier, but now I'm wondering if we should use the "I'm a scientist" tests with the little bottles instead. We have both. (I test every week for work so I'm used to either.)

Just did our Onpoint testing with the free govt tests (binax now). DD18 and I did the first appt, DH had his 1/2 hr later. Our person didn't understand how the binax tests work and was trying to get us to put the swab into the bottle... finally convinced him that's not how this test works. (DHs appt went very smoothly though with a different person.) It was the first time we've tested ourselves but I had looked at the instructions online in advance and watched a tutorial. He asked our confirmation #s, birthdates, email address to send results--he typed the email address in chat, it was wrong, so he fixed it. We showed him the results, negative. I got emails about 15 minutes later to log in and see results and the email with the PDF (more official looking) version was sent in another email a few minutes after the other emails--thats the one I used to upload results to safe passage.

A couple things to watch out for.. about half the email reminders went into my spam folder, including the notification that DHs virtual room # (and zoom meeting code) was changed. This happened a day before... luckily some of the emails were coming through so I was trying to figure out why he had a new virtual room #.

In the end, it was very easy, much better testing at home before heading to the airport in a few hours...but still nerve wracking. It's definitely a good low cost option while DCL is still requiring tests.

And finally we are going back on a cruise!!! Last one was 2018 since 2020 was cancelled. So excited!!! First time on the Fantasy, castaway cay, pirate night, Western Caribbean, verandah, and having the kids both be adults now.
Thank you for the information! Could you tell us the email address they used to send emails to you, so we can set them up in our Safe Senders list. That way they shouldn't go to Spam.

Oh hmmm. I was going to use the BinaxNow tests because I feel like they are easier, but now I'm wondering if we should use the "I'm a scientist" tests with the little bottles instead. We have both. (I test every week for work so I'm used to either.)
Binax should be fine, DH had no issues with his person, and you've used them before so you would quickly correct the person vs it being our first time using them.

Thank you for posting your experience. After reading others post that Onpoint was an option we booked an appt. Always good to hear there were no issues.

How long did it take after you uploaded your results to SafePassage to get your clearance?

Thank you for posting your experience. After reading others post that Onpoint was an option we booked an appt. Always good to hear there were no issues.

How long did it take after you uploaded your results to SafePassage to get your clearance?
Still waiting... uploaded them around Noon.

Just wanted to thank everyone who suggested Onpoint testing telehealth rapid antigen appts.

We'll be using our free government tests (binax now) with them this Thursday before heading to the airport. The cost was $9.99/appt today (it was $13.99 when I researched yesterday, originally priced at $29.99). You can also get a $5 off coupon for signing up for the newsletter, so I paid $24.97 for 3 tests. You can do 2 tests during 1 appt (you still have to pay for each person, it's just the convenience of doing 2 at once vs having separate appts.). User interface could use some work as I had trouble figuring out what I needed to do to set up the appts for 3 people, same with doing the registration part... hopefully I did it right, but I do have 2 zoom appts and filled out patient registration forms for 3 people. DD18 and I are doing the first appt, I made DHs for 1/2 hr later. DD22 is the 'lucky' one with a recovery letter.

We'll see how it goes Thursday...but I'm willing to try it for $25 vs getting charged $129/person at Walgreens (the site no longer says free Covid testing...just free if insurance will cover it...I know mine will not cover travel tests) or the $77/person at port.

Fingers crossed the 3 of us test negative!!!
Can I ask how you were able to set up 2 appointments? I purchased for 4 and was able to set up the first one but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to set up the 2nd one.

Can I ask how you were able to set up 2 appointments? I purchased for 4 and was able to set up the first one but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to set up the 2nd one.
For me, personally, I used the back button on my browser to back out and start again.

Update --submitted at Noon 2 days before cruise, they were approved at 4am..so 16 hrs later. So happy we're all clear to sail now!!!

We ended up canceling our cruise and won't cruise again until everything returns to normal, but just a head's up from a group I'm in, for those using Walgreen's:
IMG_1424.jpg

We ended up canceling our cruise and won't cruise again until everything returns to normal, but just a head's up from a group I'm in, for those using Walgreen's:
View attachment 677240
I came here to report exactly this. My son was tested for COVID on Tuesday and I still hadn't received results yet. Granted it was a lab based PCR test that takes longer, but I just got off the phone with them and his results came back but the lady said there was an issue with the emails going to customers.

Thankfully this wasn't for our cruise, but they are our only option I have to get his pre-sail test as I can do the rapid NAAT test. I am glad they were able to go to Walgreens to get the results to cruise, I was just thinking if I continues and that isn't an option I don't know what I could do. Good to know in case the issue continues, although hopefully it will be fixed by next month.

Last edited:

That's such a good tip! I had totally forgotten about that. The reminders came from notifications@calendly.com, but they showed under the sender name of "Virtual MA8" (at least for us). So even when I was skimming my spam folder looking for something that said "OnPoint" I missed them.

We did the BinaxNow tests as well and they didn't have any problems. I hadn't done the BinaxNow test myself, but my girlfriend had, so I wasn't as lost as I would have been if I had been on my own.

Can someone please help me with timetable. If sailing Fantasy on a Sat...flying out on
Friday we should do the test Thursday right? Can it be anytime Thursday? Thank you.

Can someone please help me with timetable. If sailing Fantasy on a Sat...flying out on
Friday we should do the test Thursday right? Can it be anytime Thursday? Thank you.
If sailing in Saturday - you test has to be loaded in the system by midnight Friday. That means you have all day a Thursday and Friday to do your test, get your results and upload them to the portal.

I don’t think the time on Thursday matters as long as your test date shows Thursday date on the results page as the date of the test.

I haven’t sailed yet on these self test rules so if someone has and can add more clarity please do so.

Pretty sure its 2 days before sailing so Thursday you would have to do the test.

We are going for our testing first thing Thursday morning. Flying out Friday for Sat. Fantasy. Fingers crossed. So many flight cancellations lately!

We are going for our testing first thing Thursday morning. Flying out Friday for Sat. Fantasy. Fingers crossed. So many flight cancellations lately!
Yes a large number of flight cancellations lately. Idk if you can drive but it may be a backup plan to have in case any issues with your flight. Good luck and happy cruising!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter