kindle fire question

thinkerbell

DIS Veteran
I searched and didn't find the answer to my question. Hopefully it isn't a repeat.
I was talking to a girl at work and she mentioned that she wanted a Nook tablet. I said that I would like a Kindle Fire. She said that she had looked at both and she talked to someone at a Barnes and Noble store and they told her that to read a book on the Kindle Fire, she had to be on the internet. Something about that cloud thing. Is this true? I am rarely near WiFi when I read my Nook so I just can't understand why anyone would even want it if this was the case. I know that there are many of you that already have the Kindle Fire and would know the answer.
Thanks!

No, you do not have to have wi-fi to read a book. The Kindle Fire does only come with wi-fi (right now at least), not 3G, but you do not have to be connected to read. You do have to be connected to buy a book from Amazon, or download a book you have already purchased from the cloud (your Amazon storage box, basically) to your device.

DH and I each have a Kindle (his is Touch, mine is Fire), and we have them both linked to the same Amazon account. When we buy anything from Amazon, it goes to the cloud. Then either one of us can go to the cloud on our device and get items (books or music) and download them onto our device. You do have to be connected to wireless to do that, but once you have the book (or music or app), you have it. You don't have to be connected to access it.

Thanks. Sounds like it pretty much works the same as the Nook. The only thing that might be a little different is that it automatically downloads to the Nook but I can archive it so that it is in my account but only the cover is on the Nook. I didn't think that sounded right.

Thanks. Sounds like it pretty much works the same as the Nook. The only thing that might be a little different is that it automatically downloads to the Nook but I can archive it so that it is in my account but only the cover is on the Nook. I didn't think that sounded right.

You can have books archived on your Kindle account. I delete my copy of a book once I'm finished reading it, but I can easily pull it up and re-download it. Also, on my new Fire I can also see the book until I pull it back to my Fire.

I'm not a big fan of B&N; their CS was awful when I had a card, and, in my town, at least, their clerks are snooty. The clerks at Books-A-Million aren't, so I shop Brick and Mortar at BAM and online I've got my Amazon Prime. (And Amazon's CS ROCKS!)

No, you do not have to have wi-fi to read a book. The Kindle Fire does only come with wi-fi (right now at least), not 3G, but you do not have to be connected to read. You do have to be connected to buy a book from Amazon, or download a book you have already purchased from the cloud (your Amazon storage box, basically) to your device.

DH and I each have a Kindle (his is Touch, mine is Fire), and we have them both linked to the same Amazon account. When we buy anything from Amazon, it goes to the cloud. Then either one of us can go to the cloud on our device and get items (books or music) and download them onto our device. You do have to be connected to wireless to do that, but once you have the book (or music or app), you have it. You don't have to be connected to access it.

I can buy books on Amazon without a connection via the Whispernet transfer. Some (like the elibrary books) do require a USB connection but you can pick up the cord from anywhere for like $5.

You do not need to be online to read.

I can buy books on Amazon without a connection via the Whispernet transfer. Some (like the elibrary books) do require a USB connection but you can pick up the cord from anywhere for like $5.

You do not need to be online to read.

So... on my Nook(just a regular touchscreen Nook), to get a library book, I have to download it onto my computer and then transfer it from my computer to my Nook. Is it the same on the Kindle Fire?

So... on my Nook(just a regular touchscreen Nook), to get a library book, I have to download it onto my computer and then transfer it from my computer to my Nook. Is it the same on the Kindle Fire?

Any Kindle Device that can connect via WiFi (as compared to the 3G) can download books from the Library Overdrive system wirelessly. This includes the Kindle Fire. Amazon doesn't allow you to wirelessly download with 3G only because they don't want to pay ATT data charges for books they aren't selling.

But with WiFi everything can be done with no USB cord connection.

And to add, there is a Amazon Cloud reader which you can use to read "from the Cloud" on a computer or device. That means that those without a Kindle or an installation of Kindle for PC/Mac can read digital books.

The Kindles (Fire, Touch, Keyboard) etc do not work in that manner however.

Books download to the device and can be read offline.

A newbie question: How do you delete a book off your Kindle Fire once you've read it?

Tap it and hold your finger on it until a menu pops up, "Add to Favorites" or "Remove from Device." Remove from device will take it off of your Kindle, but it will remain in the cloud if you ever want it again.

I love it when companies resort to total lies in order to sell their products. Both the Kindle and the Nook have reasons enough as to why you should pick them over the other (mainly personal preferences) but both sides decide to lie rather than push their strengths.

I am a Kindle fan and didn't like the Nook when I did own one (the original one, I'm sure they have improved since then) but that doesn't mean I'm going to lie to get people to go with Amazon over B&N.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter