Kentucky Derby - Louisville, KY Dining Questions & Tips

You should not have to make reservations. Some of the more popular places might be busy for breakfast/brunch Friday and Saturday before people head to the track.

I would expect lunch crowds on Saturday to be very sparse. Almost everyone will be at a Derby party. School will be out on that Friday and many businesses close. It really is like a holiday here.

Wild Eggs or Toast on Market for breakfast. It depends on what time you are going for breakfast if you should call ahead or not. I've never had any trouble getting a table, but it wasn't Derby Weekend... Like the previous poster mentioned, schools are out on Friday, it IS a big holiday there. So wait times will be longer.

If you want to do something local, I suggest going across the river to Schimpff's Confectionery in Jeffersonville, IN. They do tours and have the best old-fashioned red hot cinnamon candy I have ever found.

I know we will make reservations for dinner for Thursday-Saturday of Derby weekend but how crowded are restaurants for breakfast and lunch on that weekend? Do we need to make lunch and breakfast reservations also?

Are you coming to town to actually go to the track, or just be in town during the "festivities?" If you are actually going to the track, then you probably won't need breakfast and lunch reservations anywhere because won't you be at the track by mid-morning?

Favorite Louisville breakfast- the winner is Highland Morning for amazing orange creamsicle pancakes.
Favorite pizza- the New Albanian across the river.
Favorite place to relax- Bardstown, great distillery and park

:) As I said in my original post, DIS people are the best! I am thrilled with the great info everyone posted. Thank you again!

Looks like 4th Street Live is near our hotel. Is it worth checking out? If so, is there anything in particular we should not miss?

Thanks to everyone for all of the great advice so far!!

You have some great suggestions. I will echo doc crows for great bbq, Toast on market for breakfast. Varanese is also a great option and they have a Derby hat fashion show throughout the restaurant some nights.(last year they put the dates on their website) It ads a fun touch. Just FYI if you are here Sunday morning you won't be able to get any mimosas or bloody Mary's before 10am when alcohol can be served.

I know we will make reservations for dinner for Thursday-Saturday of Derby weekend but how crowded are restaurants for breakfast and lunch on that weekend? Do we need to make lunch and breakfast reservations also?

Most definitely make reservations and check with the restaurant about their menu change for Derby. Most will have a separate menu Thursday-Saturday and sometimes it can be quite limited with inflated prices.

Looks like 4th Street Live is near our hotel. Is it worth checking out? If so, is there anything in particular we should not miss?

Thanks to everyone for all of the great advice so far!!

I personally think 4th street live is just a collection of bars and offers very little experience. If there happened to be a concert there that evening then it might be worth it but I don't like it. (Again, personal preference)

Thank you for the idea about Varanese. Sounds like a great suggestion. The menu looks good as well! :)

Thank you to everyone for all of the great tips! We just got back from the Kentucky Derby and a wonderful vacation in Louisville. We made it to Evan Williams, Galt House, Brown Hotel ... and many of the restaurants suggested. Sidebar at Whiskey Row , Wild Eggs and Toast on Main were our favorites.
Glad you enjoyed it! Sorry it had to rain ALL DAY LONG on Saturday.

Thank you! We were under cover in the Vineyard Vines Club and didn't get wet. (Until I stepped in a puddle going to the shuttle bus). A sunny day would have been great but even
3 inches of rain didn't dampen our excitement. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter