Keeping on Track - December W.I.S.H. Challenge

...I am trying to decide on if I should call the doctor or wait until the end of the week and see if it goes away.

Unless going to the doctor itself really stresses her out, my vote is to call.

I always went with the principal of least regret. - If you go, and nothing is wrong, you'll regret the wasted time for a little while. If you don't go, and it's something major, you'll feel the dreaded "Mom guilt" for a lot longer. :guilty:

Hi. I’m Summer from Connecticut, a 55 year old Teacher, married 26 years, one daughter, 22.

I just started a new weight loss program, right before Christmas, no less, and right after falling and spraining my shoulder plus irritating my bad knees. Crazy, right? I can’t exercise. I can’t go to work or even drive. Homebound and would LOVE to binge on chocolate chip cookies and hot cocoa as I admire the snowy winter wonderland outside.

Normally, I would indulge with my myriad of excuses: snow day; Christmastime; boredom; I deserve it; I am in pain. Not this time. Instead I downloaded the app and got started on a Sunday (not a Monday?) and I am already down 5 pounds. I know it’s all water weight, but it’s better than putting on another 5 while I feel sorry for myself.

Last time in WDW, I needed to use a wheelchair because of a torn meniscus and arthritis in my knees. We are returning in June, and I thought that perhaps if I could drop 75 pounds or even 50 by then I might not need the wheelchair.

So I am going to give it a shot.

The hardest part right now is that there are goodies everywhere, and getting through the holidays will be tough especially when I start my baking for family. I am determined to enjoy Christmas Eve and Day without going overboard. I refuse to deny myself some treats, but I also plan on using some self-control.

I am glad I found this thread.

I always went with the principal of least regret. - If you go, and nothing is wrong, you'll regret the wasted time for a little while. If you don't go, and it's something major, you'll feel the dreaded "Mom guilt" for a lot longer. :guilty:

DD is the opposite. She likes going. I think it gives her reassurance that everything is fine. That is part of her anxiety. She would fall and get hurt and act like everything is horrible so we take her in. They do the x-ray, nothing is broken and then bam she is fine. This started when she broke her ankle several years ago. This is hard on us because we really need to weigh whether is something that needs to be checked or is she ok and just needs to "walk it off". I tend to freak out and take the kids when I really don't need to. it is peace of mind. DH usually can keep me in check. Poor DS was at the doctors every Monday when he was a baby after he spent several days in the hospital for a fever that ended up being a cold.

I did call and make an appointment for this afternoon. I just don't think this is just a virus like they said last week. I am thinking maybe a migraine that won't go away, anemic or maybe something with her blood sugar. I do need to stay off the internet though. Thankfully I can rule stuff out but if you search her symptoms it could be the above or a aneurysm, MS, meningitis and more. I don't think she has any of these.

Hi. I’m Summer from Connecticut, a 55 year old Teacher, married 26 years, one daughter, 22.

I just started a new weight loss program, right before Christmas, no less, and right after falling and spraining my shoulder plus irritating my bad knees. Crazy, right? I can’t exercise. I can’t go to work or even drive. Homebound and would LOVE to binge on chocolate chip cookies and hot cocoa as I admire the snowy winter wonderland outside.

Normally, I would indulge with my myriad of excuses: snow day; Christmastime; boredom; I deserve it; I am in pain. Not this time. Instead I downloaded the app and got started on a Sunday (not a Monday?) and I am already down 5 pounds. I know it’s all water weight, but it’s better than putting on another 5 while I feel sorry for myself.

Last time in WDW, I needed to use a wheelchair because of a torn meniscus and arthritis in my knees. We are returning in June, and I thought that perhaps if I could drop 75 pounds or even 50 by then I might not need the wheelchair.

The hardest part right now is that there are goodies everywhere, and getting through the holidays will be tough especially when I start my baking for family. I am determined to enjoy Christmas Eve and Day without going overboard. I refuse to deny myself some treats, but I also plan on using some self-control.

:welcome:

Welcome!

I've been sitting here thinking about how we all seem to have put the temptation of being surrounded by "treats" during the holiday season as our biggest pitfalls. And also thinking about how to best take care of myself and came up with an idea for a personal Advent Calendar, that has something nice I'm going to do for myself each day... a treat that isn't laden with sugar/calories.

Anyone else in for giving this a try?

Absolutely!

We are glad you found us!

:welcome:

I've been sitting here thinking about how we all seem to have put the temptation of being surrounded by "treats" during the holiday season as our biggest pitfalls. And also thinking about how to best take care of myself and came up with an idea for a personal Advent Calendar, that has something nice I'm going to do for myself each day... a treat that isn't laden with sugar/calories.

That sounds like a fun idea. I might need to try it next year though. Thanksgiving break would have been a good time to put it together so it was ready to go. But now I’m busy with report cards as well as two kids in sports. So I’m thinking of rewarding myself each night with a Disney+ show 😊

And also thinking about how to best take care of myself and came up with an idea for a personal Advent Calendar, that has something nice I'm going to do for myself each day... a treat that isn't laden with sugar/calories.

Oooh, that sounds like a great idea!

And welcome to the group @Summer2018! :wave:

Woo-hoo! I think I'm done with my Christmas shopping (at least the majority of it) And I was able to get 2 big things for my husband and hide them without him even noticing.
Woo-hoo! First day back to school yesterday was a success. These longer breaks can often cause my class (and I'm sure others) to forget routines or the general how to behave in school. But they did pretty well yesterday! I was also a little worried they would be super energetic about Christmas already...but I didn't hear too much about it yet. For the most part, they stayed pretty focused for me yesterday.
Woo-hoo! I'm on my final week of my lifting program. I definitely feel stronger. But I think there is an extra layer of fat covering up the muscle due to all my Thanksgiving eating ;) Next week I'm going to switch back to the 21-Day Fix (three weeks which will take me through Christmas) and I'll try to follow that eating too...at least for the first two weeks.

My woohoo is.....I don't know. It has been a rough week so far. So I am going to go with DD woke up happy today. The doctor still thinks it is just a virus. They did take her blood yesterday and I should get the results today. They also are having me give her a prescription form of Bonine. This should help with the dizziness. If it does still continue they will send us to an ENT. Her BP was high yesterday when they took it the first time. It was 132/86. She claimed that she was not worried about anything. They took it again after we saw the doctor and it went down to 96/71. So she must have been worked up about something.

Woohoo...
Last night I finally got out and fixed the Christmas lights on the fence - again. Last week parts of both of the new strings went dark - again. It was dry and not too cold and nice to have the 15 to 20 minutes outside.

Today I spend most of the day in a workshop an Ally-ship which I am really looking forward to, both because of the topic and for being able to do something besides plugging away at the same-old-same-old.

Last night I watched most of Home Alone, and it was very soothing and nostalgic. It came out when I was planning to move from Washington DC to Chicago and I went to see it multiple times just to soak up what the neighborhood looked like. In hindsight, that was a pretty happy time in my life.

I've gotten the first week of my Advent Calendar laid out:

12.3 - brow and lip wax --- done
12.4 - haircut
12.5 - pedicure
12.6 - evening walk in the neighborhood
12.7 - drive out to Carnation for the marker's markets and attend the neighborhood tree lighting
12.8 - hug a lot of people

Some of these were already planned, but framing them as self-care really helps. I also keep thinking about what a spectacular month December is supposed to be, and how to get myself in to the head space where I can take it all in.

My woohoo is.....I don't know. It has been a rough week so far. So I am going to go with DD woke up happy today. The doctor still thinks it is just a virus. They did take her blood yesterday and I should get the results today. They also are having me give her a prescription form of Bonine. This should help with the dizziness. If it does still continue they will send us to an ENT. Her BP was high yesterday when they took it the first time. It was 132/86. She claimed that she was not worried about anything. They took it again after we saw the doctor and it went down to 96/71. So she must have been worked up about something.
Her elevated BP could easily be “white coat syndrome.” My blood pressure is always higher in the doctor’s office.

It’s smart of you to be thorough in your child’s medical care and not just accept things at face value.

Got most of my Christmas things out today. Finished shopping for my grandson and will wrap his gifts tonight while watching tv.

We’ve been eating reasonably well and I got out for a walk after lunch.

Oneanne, I love your Advent idea! I will give it a try for the next couple weeks with a little twist:

12/4 Listen to my Charlie Brown Christmas cd by the fireplace/box up some of grandson’s outgrown toys for Goodwill
12/5 When grocery shopping, treat myself to cut and cubed pineapple/purchase can goods for the store’s collection box for our local food bank
12/6 Spend an hour reading magazines at our library/donate an unopened puzzle for their puzzle table
12/7 Hair appointment/write a card to an elderly relative while waiting for my hair color to “take”
12/8 Watch the Ravens game with family/take my grandson to the playground to give my daughter and son in law a break

Ok, that takes me through Sunday-hopefully I can keep this going!

Got most of my Christmas things out today. Finished shopping for my grandson and will wrap his gifts tonight while watching tv.

We’ve been eating reasonably well and I got out for a walk after lunch.

Oneanne, I love your Advent idea! I will give it a try for the next couple weeks with a little twist:

12/4 Listen to my Charlie Brown Christmas cd by the fireplace/box up some of grandson’s outgrown toys for Goodwill
12/5 When grocery shopping, treat myself to cut and cubed pineapple/purchase can goods for the store’s collection box for our local food bank
12/6 Spend an hour reading magazines at our library/donate an unopened puzzle for their puzzle table
12/7 Hair appointment/write a card to an elderly relative while waiting for my hair color to “take”
12/8 Watch the Ravens game with family/take my grandson to the playground to give my daughter and son in law a break

Ok, that takes me through Sunday-hopefully I can keep this going!
Isn't interesting how powerful it is to consider things that could be labeled "chores" as "self care". When I came in from fixing the lights I felt happy because it had really been bugging me that they weren't lit up.

Interested to hear what you think of Noon so far.
Day 3 was the best so far. When I signed up Sunday, I felt like there wasn’t enough support. Monday was not much better, so it was ALL ME. Yesterday and today have been much better with more supportive feedback from my coach.

I know how to lose weight. I have done WW and MyFitnessPal numerous times. The psychological piece is what has always been missing. I’m getting that now. So far, so good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!