Keep This Going Foever: THE defining moment from your last DVC trip

rutgers1

DIS Veteran
Let's hear it....I'm looking for THE defining moment - that moment that made you say "I love this place" - from your last stay at a DVC resort. If you have to choose a moment from a park, no problem, but try to keep it to the resort....

In our August trip, the moment that will forever stick with me is when we were in the pool at BWV and my son and I joined the volleyball game. I would pick him up and let him slam the ball back over the net whenever it came our way. That moment was the best time of our trip, as it made me feel that the DVC investment was totally worth it and my son and I had a great bonding experience. A lot of people don't like the BWV pool, but we loved it!

My last trip itself was the defining moment. In March I surprised my wife and we flew down for a 3-day get-a-way to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary....alone! No kids, no family. If we did not have DVC, I doubt if I would have taken a get-a-way such as that. Instead, I may have planned a one day trip to a nearby city. DVC gave me that option and it was great.

One night DH and I took the kids to the quiet pool at VWL. We were literally the only ones there. The kids played in the pool for over an hour while we sat and had a couple of cosmo's we had made in the room and brought down. It was awesome, like we owned the whole place!!
(It's my happy place:goodvibes)

This isn't about a DVC trip technically, but since the trip was to a DVC resort and led to us eventually buying at that resort, I'll tell the story.

Several years ago, we booked a BW view at BWV (It was called a water view at the time) on a cash basis. When we arrived at BWV, no bell hop would come and help us unload our car. They were all "busy" playing football in the driveway. (This activity lasted the entire time we were at the resort) So we took upon ourselves to grab a cart and start unloading ourselves. A bellhop then came over and said we couldn't use the cart, they were only for bell services' use. I told him since no one would help us, we would do it ourselves. He got very nasty with me and then got someone to help us. When I got to the check-in desk, I told the CM about how we were treated and that I didn't appreciate being treated in that manner. He apologized to us, but evidently nothing was done past that because, like I said before, the football playing in the front drive continued for the entire length of our stay.

Back to the defining moment. Well, after my experience with the bellhops, I was madder than a hornet and really wanted to move to another resort. But when we got to our room and dropped our luggage, we went out to our balcony. When I opened the doors and saw the view we had of the lake and EPCOT, the madness completely left me and I was hooked at that moment. I knew right there if we ever bought into DVC, it would be at BWV. We finally bought last year and will be making our first official trip as members in 2 months. Hopefully the quality of the bell services has improved since that first visit. But, even if it hasn't, I take the view and carry my own luggage!

This past August sitting out the balcony at Kidani watching the giraffes right outside our villa and drinking a glass of wine with my DH, DD and SSil-thinking one day we'll bring grandchildren here! Even traveling during the summer (because they teach) and dealing with crowds and the heat I love sharing our DVC with them! :)

Mine was at Kidani too. I was sitting out on the balcony watching the giraffes and zebras and thought I'm so glad I have DVC. Who would have thought when I bought in 1999 with OKW and BWV being the only choices that we would have such a variety of choices 10 years later, including a resort with animals!

Sharing the reclining chair in BLT living room with my wife and 2YO daughter while watching Wishes. Not sure it gets better than that.

For me, too, it was sitting on my balcony at AKL and having my morning coffee and later my glass of wine while watching the animals (particularly the giraffes and zebras). It is like being in a different world. You know that not too far away some are frantically doing the commando park thing and you are just chillin' with the animals and enjoying life!:flower3:

Walking into our 1-bedroom villa at BLT for the first time. It was 6:30 in the morning on opening day, and we could see the castle perfectly out of the huge glass windows. Because it was so early in the morning, the castle was still changing colors - it was a beautiful royal blue.

My defining moment was our very first DVC trip and it wasn't to our home resort (AKV). We were traveling on developer points and had a 1BR at Saratoga Springs. I was a nervous wreck because I was traveling alone with my DS4, who has ADHD. Within the first day, sitting around the quiet pool, I realized that we had nowhere we needed to be and didn't have to "commando" the parks in order to "get it all in". The knowledge that we were going to be back soon, and often, gave me great peace and I was able to truly enjoy making memories with my son. I am looking forward to our visit to AKV next March and seeing the expression on my son's face when he sees his first giraffe outside our balcony.

My defining moment during the last trip was walking into the lobby of the Contemporary to check in at BLT. I've never stayed on the monorail before and probably wouldn't have been able to without DVC. I just loved the entire experience.

Mine was when we were moving to WL Conceirge for the weekend, my DS 8 at the time, ran in the room, turned around and said - where's the rest of the room?? :rotfl2:

For me it was walking into OKW and seeing for myself how much bigger the rooms were. That andthe seperate luandry room that came in handy when the Disney Stomach bug bit DD.:eek:

Mine is for everytime - so far and every DVC we have been to.....my oldest DD without anyone saying anything to her immediately says we are "home" and she is so right - there is no other place I "we" feel as comfortable than our DVC!!!!!

I have to say when my 6 year old daughter says Daddy I love our home at Disney. She has never heard or read the whold DVC hype of "welcome home" so I knew yeah this is going to be a good thing.

Mine was when last trip we were assigned "the dumpster view" room at VWL. :rotfl:

I loved that DH and I just laughed about it and were low-key enough to not let it bother us. DVC has made us (well, mainly ME) WAY less stressed about planning our vacations. If this had been a once-in-a-lifetime trip, I might've been upset.......

And the trip before that was when we showed my IL's our 2 BDRM villa for the very first time. They loved it and FIL exclaimed "Now THIS is the way to vacation!" That's why we do it!!

Several moments defined our May trip to VWL. We absolutely love it there! So any moment there is a great one.

We got to have a meal at Ohana with a CM who works at WL who has become a close friend, all because of several visits to WL. After being a CM all those yrs, he has gone from being excited to be a Disney CM, to being just there. So getting to see his face light up when Wishes took place was great! We helped to make a magic moment for a CM.

Getting to have wonderful, personal one on one time with Ranger Stan. He is a great guy and we always look forward to seeing him. We share our faith, our ups and downs, and all things in our lives together with him. We have a wonderful bond with him that only WL could have provided.

And finally, getting to have a meet with fellow DISers/DVCers horselover and her hubbie, DiznyDi and her DH DiznyDad in the Iron Spike Room. Horselover brought a wonderful cake that WDW had made for their anniversary, DiznyDi brought hand embroidered VWL Groupies breadbasket covers for all. And then to top it off we ran into DiznyDi and Dad several times in the parks afterwards.

The defining moment from our last trip (Spring break 2009) was probably the day we checked into AKV. We had spent the previous 5 nights at Vero Beach, and had booked one night in a value studio to try out the place. Our kids decided they wanted to go to Epcot and me and DW had reservations at Jiko so off they went and we did our own thing, great way to end a trip for everyone.

Our daughter is a senior in college this year, and our son just started high school; made me realize that we may not have many more trips where we're all together, at least for a few years. But glad for the trips we have had; I know we would not have had as many without DVC. Also thanks to DVC we are looking forward to future trips to be with whoever can go.

Peace,
G4L

I think it is as simple as Disney is just an amazing vacation time after time. DVC enhances our experience.

I love hearing "Welcome Home", and driving into a beautiful resort. In a few weeks we will be going to AKV, and it will be special because it is our first time at AKV. My wife ran the half marathon with my sister in March, and they stayed at the All-Star Resort. She called and said she missed staying at our home!!!

On our last trip, the defining moment was having family and friends come down with us. We rented a 2 bedroom at OKW, so my sister and family drove up and stayed for 3 days after they spent time in Naples with her in-laws. Then, my wifes niece and her family stayed another three days. Being able to book a 2 bedroom condo and share our membership and vacation was the defining moment of last year. Also - one of my best friends from high school also came down the same week and stayed one building over from us at OKW. It was our best vacation yet. The days at the parks were great having a group to hang around with - it enhanced the fun. This year we are going alone, and it will still be great, but that vacation will have memories that will last forever.

I think just being at AKV this year with our daughter will be amazing. Being around all the animals - she will be thrilled

Opening the doors to the balcony of my Boardwalk view BWV studio and listening to the boat horns as I got ready every morning!

Melissa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter