Just off the 4 night Magic!

Do you recommend this over Uber/Lyft? I'm staying at a hotel near the airport the night before my cruise. I declined disney transportation because I didn't think I'd need it and thought it would make things more complicated
I would definitely take DCL transfers from the port back to the airport after the cruise is over. That's much easier than arranging for someone to pick you up at a certain time (which is hard to estimate accurately, since there are a lot of factors involved with disembarking from the ship).

On the way to the ship, I'd say it's just personal preference and cost, because the cruise port isn't nearly as far from the airport in Miami as Port Canaveral is from MCO. It's probably a bit easier to take the transfer bus, because they'll take care of everything and point you in the right direction once you arrive. But I doubt a car service would be difficult.

Do you recommend this over Uber/Lyft? I'm staying at a hotel near the airport the night before my cruise

I've done 4 cruises out of Miami (well, technically 5, but that first one I was 11 and it was well before Uber/Lyft and before people knew about flying in the night before a cruise) and have used Lyft every time. Only once (on Christmas morning, so I'm sure driver pickings were slim) did the driver have a bit of a hard time figuring out getting into the port, but once I pulled it up on my GPS we were fine. The later 3 times were no issue whatsoever.

How much is the DCL transfer to the airport? We have a flight later that afternoon and have plenty of time and we’re gonna Uber it. I’m just wondering if I feel better knowing I have a transfer if I book DCL

How much is the DCL transfer to the airport?

I can't remember, but I have used their transfers back to MIA and it was quick and easy. Less than an Uber or Lyft for me - I'm solo though, so YMMV.

I can't remember, but I have used their transfers back to MIA and it was quick and easy. Less than an Uber or Lyft for me - I'm solo though, so YMMV.
I just searched online is $21 a person which is not bad. I’m just curious if you do it through Disney do they give you a time when you have to be off the ship? I’m just worried that if I book the Disney transportation will be even more rushed?We have late dining which means we have a later breakfast and we are taking our sweet time getting off the boat - customs because we have like a six hour wait for our flight.

I just searched online is $21 a person which is not bad. I’m just curious if you do it through Disney do they give you a time when you have to be off the ship? I’m just worried that if I book the Disney transportation will be even more rushed?We have late dining which means we have a later breakfast and we are taking our sweet time getting off the boat - customs because we have like a six hour wait for our flight.

I had late dining every time. They'll get you there...but they also do not allow you to dawdle on board - especially now. They have to get the ship cleaned to current protocols and turned for the next set of guests and they cannot do that until it is zeroed out. So there's no "taking your sweet time" getting off. You will have an assigned breakfast time and are expected to leave after that - no wandering around, and debarkation breakfast is pretty much "eat, say good-bye, and leave" as the servers also have duties to do to turn the ship.

Does DCL offer any tours of Miami that include luggage transfers and transfers to the airport currently? That might be worth looking into. If not, at least MIA has lots of shops and restaurants.

I’m just curious if you do it through Disney do they give you a time when you have to be off the ship?
No, there is no set time and that is why I much prefer it over scheduling something with an independent transfer service. The DCL buses leave continually throughout debarkation morning. You just get on the next available bus. Last month I left the ship quite late (second seating breakfast which I didn't rush, then had to wait an extra 20-30 minutes to get help with a minor problem before going through customs), but still had no problem getting a DCL bus. I never felt rushed. It's true that crew members do want you off the ship asap on debarkation morning, but that has nothing to do with your form of transportation.

Last edited:

Thanks! I’m definitely calling tomorrow and booking our transfers. With my question about being rushed I was just more worried that they make you meet them at 7:30 or something.

I've sailed out of Miami 3 times and never had a problem with it. From reading posts on these boards, the primary issues people seem to have is that parking & finding the right entrance at the extensive Miami port is more confusing than at small Port Canaveral. If you're taking a Disney transfer bus (highly recommend), that is a non-issue. I sailed the Magic last month, and embarkation was completely organized and went like clockwork. Debarkation was slower because customs was really slow this time (never an issue before), but it was still organized. The only difference in the experience there and at Port Canaveral is that the walkway to the ship didn't have Mickey ears. Oh well.
Do they offer this at airports? Certain hotels?

Between the airport and the ship port, definitely. I don't know about the DCL-affiliated hotels, because I've always flown in and out the day of when sailing from Miami.
Is it 40 per person? It has been so long since we took DCL transport. Im unfamiliar with Miami though.
Went once before a cruise and got lost driving lol.

Is it 40 per person? It has been so long since we took DCL transport. Im unfamiliar with Miami though.
I don't recall the pricing. It isn't that much each way, certainly. Probably more like half of that each way, but I don't recall the exact amount.

We are on the Magic right now. We just docked at CC and it’s a bit cloudy and too chilly for me to go out in a bathing suit.
We stayed at the EB Hotel (one of DCL’s partners) but we booked on our own using cc points. We arrived late Friday night and they had a convenient shuttle to take us to the hotel.
We Ubered to the port Saturday and planned it so we’d arrive at the beginning of our PAT window. For an XL Uber (can’t opt for a Prius sized with luggage) it was $31. We tipped him $7 because he drove very calmly and didn’t speed or tailgate which I greatly appreciated. Such a better experience than any taxi ride I’ve ever had.

The line to enter the port was long but then I realized there were many people who arrived early and they were being held back. We breezed through and made our way to the testing area. Everyone was super nice and it was all very smooth and efficient. We waited an hour upstairs and finally could board. I definitely agree with others who say test results are released in batches.
Dh’s account was showing him as cleared to board when I logged into his account but when they scanned our barcode it still showed him as pending. They said to give it another minute and if it doesn’t clear by then they’ll get a supervisor. Within the next minute 100 people got in line. Then we finally were cleared and could get in line. Slightly annoying but really if that’s the worst thing that happens to us, we’re doing just fine!
We haven’t encountered any rude guests, only typical childish behavior by children, and no magnets stolen.
1200 onboard. No problem getting in to see Tangled the first night (it is offered on 2 nts) and we haven’t attempted any activities; we just wanna relax.

:cloud9::yay::sail:

per DCL website Port to MIA is 21.. I tried to call yesteray but hung up as I didnt have that much time to wait. I am calling today and will update.

We sail on Monday out of Miami for the first time. This thread has been very helpful to prepare my expectations, but I do want to ask for some clarification on arriving at the port. We are PC pros but Miami noobs. We’ll be driving down the day before sailing and staying at a hotel on the beach 30 minutes from the port. We have a 10:30 PAT/boarding group 2. Should we plan to arrive at the parking garage at 10:30 (PC doesn’t currently allow you to enter via car earlier than your PAT). Or it sounds like in this thread we might want to arrive via car earlier in Miami so that we are parked, shuttled and waiting in line by 10:30…I am understanding that correctly? TIA

We are also on that cruise!!
Can confirm port to airport transfers are 21 each. No brainer if you are 1 or 2 people. Takes the stress of hoping to find an Uber or can

Just off the 4 night Magic in Miami! Let me know if you have any questions!
I’m just curious how the selection was in the gift shops. are people lining up waiting for them to open and buying everything up? I heard on the UK sailings People are so starved for Disney stuff they couldn’t keep the place stocked? And how were the temperatures outside in the evenings? Was it sweatshirt hoodie weather? Thanks

Do you recall if the adult bars and lounges were open with entertainment? Such as Keys?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter