Just boarded the Disney Magic, first sailing in the Mediterranean since Covid

I’m not sure they do pirate nights in the Mediterranean. I know they don’t on the northern cruises - it’s Frozen.

They are doing Pirate night in the Mediterranean. For our Italy/Greece cruise, it's the fifth night. For some reason they stuck it on the one night that we actually had a later night in port (Mykonos).

Thanks for the update. 100 out of 1,300 isn't the best odds, but certainly a risk we were aware of when we booked. Everyone in our family has had COVID and are boosted (recently for the teens), so we will hope for the best.
Exactly.

We've got a nice reminder the day we boarded, messages were left on the stateroom phone. Turns out if was delivered to a former guest. Some of their relative wanted to inquire if they felt better with “chest pain”.

A few days later, our stateroom hostess “magically disappeared” and we had a new host taking over. Another friendly reminder.

Covid is still here.
We're seing every day cast members taking a fair amount of precautions in making sure they're not going to get covid. Not going into details in public as we believe it is sensitive from them to protect themselves if they feel it that way.

I am still wearing a mask in all indoors areas and in restaurants while not actively eating/drinking. Obviously not asking anyone to do the same, rules are Disney's to make.

I am still wearing a mask in all indoors areas and in restaurants while not actively eating/drinking. Obviously not asking anyone to do the same, rules are Disney's to make.
This will be my plan too. I will also not be eating in Cabanas and only eating and drinking in MDR, my room or outside. My masks are co ordinated to my Disney Bounding outfits :)

Is there a high level of mask-wearing amongst passengers?

Is there a high level of mask-wearing amongst passengers?
No.

This is one of the first thing you hear on their PA system, that masks are optional throughout the ship. Disney wants everyone to feel good, whether they opt in to wear a mask or not. I believe it's a good thing. I've had none bad looks by wearing a mask, whether from staff or other guests.

This will be my plan too. I will also not be eating in Cabanas and only eating and drinking in MDR, my room or outside. My masks are co ordinated to my Disney Bounding outfits :)
I wish I had the energy to co ordinate my masks, when I cruise in August that won't be the case

No.

This is one of the first thing you hear on their PA system, that masks are optional throughout the ship. Disney wants everyone to feel good, whether they opt in to wear a mask or not. I believe it's a good thing. I've had none bad looks by wearing a mask, whether from staff or other guests.
that's great. IMO if people look at me here in NJ and ask I just say I have Lupus and they either are like oh wow and totally understand or are completely out of the loop and don't know what I mean. When I'm a work we say its optional for customers

Finally! We've just boarded the Disney Magic!
Some random thoughts:

- Antigen test was doctored. Results took 40 min to arrive, and as there are few seats in the area where you wait for your results, queue moved in slowly. We queued maybe 1 hour outside.
- The whole embarkation process took about 150 mins for us, and we had an early PAT (11:15).
- PAT was enforced. We came a few minutes earlier and they let us in.
- We met guests at our hotel having a 11:30 PAT and they were really further down the queue, in the open sun. Take this into account if you board at Barcelona.
- Port told us about 1,300 pax. That's between 50% if all staterooms hosts 3 people, and 75% if all rooms hosts 2. If this figure is correct definitely not full at all.
- No port upgrades at all offered on this journey.
- We asked for a private table for dining and learned we were already granted one.
If it's possible, could you please ask why no port upgrades were available for this cruise.

We are on the Aug 10th out of Copenhagen and plan to mask through the Cruise (we're Canadian, so we are used to be on the precautionary side).
Also, we have a plan B (head to Berlin for 7 days) if we are denied boarding due to Covid.

Have a fantastic time! We went on a staycation on the magic last summer (loved it) and have re-booked for Fjords this September.

If it's possible, could you please ask why no port upgrades were available for this cruise.
I’m not the OP but we’ve often sailed when no port upgrades are offered. Happens when the ship is sailing pretty much full as they don’t have enough rooms left to allow flexibility with stateroom host assignments and lifeboats.

We are on the Aug 10th out of Copenhagen and plan to mask through the Cruise (we're Canadian, so we are used to be on the precautionary side).
Also, we have a plan B (head to Berlin for 7 days) if we are denied boarding due to Covid.
How are you going to get from Copenhagen to Berlin without boarding an airplane or train? I don't think either is allowed in the EU if you've recently tested positive for Covid-19.

Where did you stay in Barcelona? We're going next year
I can tell you where NOT to stay. I prepaid for a room at the Hilton to get the lower Honors rate. Upon arrival, I was told there were no available room. They sent us in a taxi to another hotel where I spent hours arguing with the manager about the situation that the Hilton had “claimed” they had to explained to the hotel (which was part of the Hilton chain). We flew to Barcelona from London the night before the cruise and it was a terrible start.

I’m not the OP but we’ve often sailed when no port upgrades are offered. Happens when the ship is sailing pretty much full as they don’t have enough rooms left to allow flexibility with stateroom host assignments and lifeboats.
The cruises aren’t full so they may not be offering for other reasons.

How are you going to get from Copenhagen to Berlin without boarding an airplane or train? I don't think either is allowed in the EU if you've recently tested positive for Covid-19.
It's an 8-hour drive - that you can break in Fredericia and Hamburg.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter