Just boarded the Disney Magic, first sailing in the Mediterranean since Covid

You are right - I actually updated my post while you were replying after finding an article that said the same thing - because I realized I was probably remembering incorrectly. But you replied too quickly. :)

This was an interesting article on the topic: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/18/business/hotels-overbooked-walking-travel.html#:~:text=While hotels are not under,Hotel Administration at Cornell University.
I worked in hotels for over 10 years and have a degree in hotel and resort management, I have had to walk a guest or two in my time and it sucks for all involved but handled well it can be an okay experience for everyone.

Finally! We've just boarded the Disney Magic!
Some random thoughts:

- Antigen test was doctored. Results took 40 min to arrive, and as there are few seats in the area where you wait for your results, queue moved in slowly. We queued maybe 1 hour outside.
- The whole embarkation process took about 150 mins for us, and we had an early PAT (11:15).
- PAT was enforced. We came a few minutes earlier and they let us in.
- We met guests at our hotel having a 11:30 PAT and they were really further down the queue, in the open sun. Take this into account if you board at Barcelona.
- Port told us about 1,300 pax. That's between 50% if all staterooms hosts 3 people, and 75% if all rooms hosts 2. If this figure is correct definitely not full at all.
- No port upgrades at all offered on this journey.
- We asked for a private table for dining and learned we were already granted one.
Can you please tell me if there was a Pirate Night?

Finally! We've just boarded the Disney Magic!
Some random thoughts:

- Antigen test was doctored. Results took 40 min to arrive, and as there are few seats in the area where you wait for your results, queue moved in slowly. We queued maybe 1 hour outside.
- The whole embarkation process took about 150 mins for us, and we had an early PAT (11:15).
- PAT was enforced. We came a few minutes earlier and they let us in.
- We met guests at our hotel having a 11:30 PAT and they were really further down the queue, in the open sun. Take this into account if you board at Barcelona.
- Port told us about 1,300 pax. That's between 50% if all staterooms hosts 3 people, and 75% if all rooms hosts 2. If this figure is correct definitely not full at all.
- No port upgrades at all offered on this journey.
- We asked for a private table for dining and learned we were already granted one.
What exactly did you mean when you posted that the antigen test was doctored? Did you swab yourself or did someone else swab your nose?

Can you please tell me about the pre-boarding testing? Did you swab yourself or did someone else swab your nose?
This is a post from before test policy changed. Now at-port testing is no longer happening and you need to arrange your test on your own before the cruise.

This is a post from before test policy changed. Now at-port testing is no longer happening and you need to arrange your test on your own before the cruise.
I believe that the poster was referencing sailing on the Disney Magic in Europe. The testing is done at the port.

Embarkation COVID-19 Testing:
In consideration of guidance from public health authorities and other medical experts, all Guests (regardless of age and vaccination status) will be required to take a COVID-19 test at the terminal before boarding (paid for by Disney Cruise Line and administered by Prenetics). Guests with positive COVID-19 test results will undergo a second confirmatory test. Guests with confirmed positive COVID-19 test results—as well as those sharing the same stateroom and their close contacts—will be denied boarding. Prenetics is Disney Cruise Line’s third-party partner for COVID-19 testing and vaccination verification in Europe.

I will be on the July 6 sailing out of Civitavecchia. There is the option of arranging your test on your own, or testing at the port. It is an antigen test.

I will be on the July 6 sailing out of Civitavecchia. There is the option of arranging your test on your own, or testing at the port. It is an antigen test.
Where did you read that? Did you receive an email about a change in policy? Testing is at port for all boarding. You have to arrange additional tests for those unvaccinated (under 5). And it states rapid antigen not accepted for unvaccinated. See post above.

I would love a change in policy to test before going to port!

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/why-cruise-disney/experience-updates/europe-protocols/

Last edited:
This is a thread on Mediterranean cruises so what is your cruise date? Would love to test before heading to port in Rome.

Who is on the Magic today? Need details, we fly next week to board on the 27th. So excited? How full is the ship?

Who is on the Magic today? Need details, we fly next week to board on the 27th. So excited? How full is the ship?
Just got off the Magic this morning. There were approximately 1800 for the first Greek Isles cruise which by the way was awesome!
Too bad Delta Airlines cancelled our flights😡.

Just got off the Magic this morning. There were approximately 1800 for the first Greek Isles cruise which by the way was awesome!
Too bad Delta Airlines cancelled our flights😡.
Cool. We are so excited/ nervous. How was the port check-in at Citiavecchia? Not a lot of info yet. Sorry about your flights.

Cool. We are so excited/ nervous. How was the port check-in at Citiavecchia? Not a lot of info yet. Sorry about your flights.
Hopefully the process gets better for when you sail and maybe the mess we experienced was because it was the first cruise out of Rome. After getting through the long line to be tested, you are sent across a road to another building to get your results which are sent via email. There was /wasn’t Wi-Fi available to get your results. I say wasn’t available as I could not get on line using it. I and many others had to rely on our own phone plans to get internet access and you had to stand outside to get a signal. There are dirty looking plastic chairs to use while waiting for your test results. Some poor man’s chair broke and I hope he wasn’t hurt. I’m a seasoned DCL cruiser with this cruise being #40. There truly is no place like Port Canaveral.

Hopefully the process gets better for when you sail and maybe the mess we experienced was because it was the first cruise out of Rome. After getting through the long line to be tested, you are sent across a road to another building to get your results which are sent via email. There was /wasn’t Wi-Fi available to get your results. I say wasn’t available as I could not get on line using it. I and many others had to rely on our own phone plans to get internet access and you had to stand outside to get a signal. There are dirty looking plastic chairs to use while waiting for your test results. Some poor man’s chair broke and I hope he wasn’t hurt. I’m a seasoned DCL cruiser with this cruise being #40. There truly is no place like Port Canaveral.
Ugh…not looking forward to boarding. Post trip highlights if you can...need to hear positive stories! What night was your fireworks on? Is buffet self serve?

What about soft serve?!? I heard it's being served (no self-serve) in the Med - is that true of all ships right now??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter