Just back, some observations

crazy_for_the_dis

DIS Veteran
Just back today, stayed 4 nights at RP, then 3 at Disney. The Universal portion of our trip was 1000 times more relaxing, likely since we didn’t leave a lot of time for Disney. Some highlights and lowlights:

RPR was amazing as usual. Felt like home. Room slightly on the small size for 3 adults, but we managed. No bell service. But they did have people there to give you a cart and watch your stuff when you parked. I heard another guest say to the guy well that really hurts you since it means no tips. People, please still tip. It is not their fault this is the hotels policy. So I tipped him extra ($20) to make up for the other rude guest, and he was really appreciative so I gather no one is tipping. Not sure why they don’t have full bell services since Disney does. Rented a cabana 2 days since the price is great and both times it was so worth it. Fruit platter was perfect, 10 sodas, credit for the bar, etc. we would do the park in the morning, chill in the cabana all afternoon, then go to dinner. Great relaxing time.

Toothsome - went here for dinner for the first time, worst experience ever. Will never go back. Food, service....all bad. This place is likely good for milkshakes only. Don’t get fooled by the cool looking exterior. We were sorry we wasted a night here with so many other better choices.
Big Fire - amazing dinner, maybe the best of the trip for the group. Service, food, drinks, vibe, all outstanding. This will be a must do every trip.

Orchid Lounge - came here 3 night for sushi either before dinner or after dinner. I don’t do sushi, but the rest of my party does, and couldn’t stop raving about how good it was (thus going back 3 times)! A definite highlight for the trip. Plus the service was amazing too.

Voodoo donuts - didn’t live up to the hype. Plus melted into a gooey mess in the box quickly.

We had lunch at Jakes, and really weren’t that impressed, wouldn’t go back. I are dinner at Islands the first night since I arrived a day before the rest of my party, and the drinks and general Tsos was amazing. I wish they were open for lunch since we had other dinners planned but I was craving that general tso’s the rest of the week. Maybe my personal favorite meal of the week.

Went to the Palm to celebrate a 30th birthday (which was stated on the reservation, but they did nothing anyway) and it was terrible. Too much wrong to even list here, but would not return. The short visit to HRH made us glad we were staying at RPR. We’ve stayed at both before, but RPR is just more us.

Parks were packed, but Express makes the whole day manageable. Mask compliance was surprisingly good even despite the heat, and Universal does a great job with staff reminding people about masks everywhere, and making everyone put on sanitizer before each ride. They do a better job in this arena than Disney by far. All staff were so friendly and cheerful except for one girl at a butter beer cart, who was the most miserable person we came across all week. But everyone else was amazing! The haunted houses were so much fun too and we were so glad to get a smidgen of Halloween fun in!

It was our first time on Hagrids and that ride is amazing. I didn’t look up any info on it before, so everything was a surprise! My face was a constant smile in my mask. I think we may have almost enjoyed this as much as or more so than RoTR.

That’s all I can think of for now. Back to doing laundry.

Awesome short report! We love to indulge with a cabana on vacation, so thanks for the info. I also agree about the tipping. Now, more than ever, small gestures can have major impact. I guess people just don't realize how much certain professions rely on tips.

thank you for your report! We were just talking about changing toothsome to Bigfire and maybe just getting a shake from Toothsome...
Definitely try Bigfire! Everything was amazing. Our waiter was super attentive and made great suggestions for drinks. Our group really enjoyed the Brussel sprouts, odd suggestion I know, but they were cooked on the open flame and just so good. Steaks were great too,

Went to the Palm to celebrate a 30th birthday (which was stated on the reservation, but they did nothing anyway) and it was terrible. Too much wrong to even list here, but would not return. The short visit to HRH made us glad we were staying at RPR. We’ve stayed at both before, but RPR is just more us.

Sorry you had a bad experience.....it can happen anywhere I suppose, but especially disappointing on a special occasion.

My dad and I ate dinner at The Palm on Tuesday night. First time for him; I've been several times on previous trips. Dad said it was one of the best meals he's had in years!

Sorry you had a bad experience.....it can happen anywhere I suppose, but especially disappointing on a special occasion.

My dad and I ate dinner at The Palm on Tuesday night. First time for him; I've been several times on previous trips. Dad said it was one of the best meals he's had in years!

We are the same.

The Palm has never disappointed us either, so it`s always a shame to hear someone had a bad experience like the OP.

It is the only reason we ever visit the HRH though......

Great report! Will have to try Big Fire and Orchid Lounge. Felt the same about Toothsome, it was terrible on our last visit there.

Thank you for reporting your experiences. Sounds like a great time with only a few hiccups! I am taking my grandson on a short three day trip there, starting this Saturday. We will be staying at Royal Pacific, taking advantage of a great annual passholder rate of $159/night. I am curious what the cabana rental rates are at this time.

Very timely report, thank you!!! We are staying at RPR for two nights for Thanksgiving and am exited to hear about the General Tso's at Islands and sad to hear that Toothsome is a hot mess, but you're review of them is not an isolated strike against the place so we mostly likely will be avoiding it, which hurts a chocoholic like myself. Have heard other good things about Big Fire as well so that might be an option for us.

We were planning on Toothsome but now rethinking that!! We will only have time for 1 or 2 meals and have been debating Toothsome, Margaritaville, NBC or possibly Big Fire. We will have time for one dinner and possibly a lunch. But I think we will get over to Orchids for a snack (or do they do to go??). Any opinions welcome as this is our first time at UO and I don’t want to mess up our one dinner!!!

The food sticky has not had a lot of recent posts but it does have a varied date/opinion for a newbie

The only place I have not eaten at is Big Fire.

There are some trip reports for this year that included their City Walk dining.

Last month I had two great meals at NBC for dinner and an acceptable meal at Margaritaville

Toothsome missed the mark for me.

We were planning on Toothsome but now rethinking that!! We will only have time for 1 or 2 meals and have been debating Toothsome, Margaritaville, NBC or possibly Big Fire. We will have time for one dinner and possibly a lunch. But I think we will get over to Orchids for a snack (or do they do to go??). Any opinions welcome as this is our first time at UO and I don’t want to mess up our one dinner!!!
Personally, I would avoid Margaritaville. Its fine for a drink and some nachos, but I would not eat there for dinner. Basic fare and its a chain restaurant, so you're inclined to find one in many places you may travel. To my knowledge, Toothsome, Big Fire and NBC are unique to City Walk Orlando and I don't really think you can go wrong with any of them, IMO. We've always had good meals at NBC, and its a good place if there are also sports on you want to catch, but there's nothing necessarily unique about the place. We had drinks at Big Fire two weeks ago and we love the look and feel of the place, but the menu is not our speed. We've always had good meals at Toothsome as well, and the theme/characters would appeal to younger kids. But, the desserts are the main draw here and they are available to go, so you could always do dinner elsewhere and get dessert to go from Toothsome.

My meal at Toothsome two weeks ago was one of the best meals I’ve ever had - so don’t let one negative review change your plans! I have tried Margaritaville a number of times and have always found the menu and food quality to be just “meh.” All of my meals so far at Toothsome (I’ve been there 3 or 4 times) have been excellent, and their menu has a really great variety of dishes. NBC also has some fun choices, and my food there has been really good as well. I’ve never tried Big Fire so can’t comment on that one!

interesting, when I was doing research for our 2019 trip the negative reviews of Toothsome, and a scan of the menu led to a decision for us to only get ice cream there (it was excellent).
We ate the best meal of the trip at Vivo, but it's pricy (worth the cost but still may be more than you want to spend). We also loved cowfish.

We enjoyed Margaritaville, but I agree with the others that it is chain food and certainly not a stand out for us, aside from the AC.

interesting, when I was doing research for our 2019 trip the negative reviews of Toothsome, and a scan of the menu led to a decision for us to only get ice cream there (it was excellent).
We ate the best meal of the trip at Vivo, but it's pricy (worth the cost but still may be more than you want to spend). We also loved cowfish.

We enjoyed Margaritaville, but I agree with the others that it is chain food and certainly not a stand out for us, aside from the AC.

We have a Cowfish in our city. But we have never been to a Margaritaville. I love Italian food but not so much for the rest of the family...

We have a Cowfish in our city. But we have never been to a Margaritaville.

See we live in steakhouse/BBQ central, so bigfire isn't a huge draw for us the way it is for others. Just one of the many reasons you have to look at people's reviews through your own lens to see if it works. and I'm happy eat Italian with you anytime, Vivo was just so good.

See we live in steakhouse/BBQ central, so bigfire isn't a huge draw for us the way it is for others. Just one of the many reasons you have to look at people's reviews through your own lens to see if it works. and I'm happy eat Italian with you anytime, Vivo was just so good.

Time and place and I’ll Italian food with you all day long!!! What’s wrong with my family????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!