Just Back - Some Observations

melomouse

DIS Veteran
Hi All -

Have lots to review and report on as we just returned from ten days in WDW. As some of you know, I had gotten an awesome upsell rate at the Yacht Club when I booked - waaay late - in July.

The Yacht Club is gorgeous throughout with lots of white millwork andshiny wooden floors. If it needs updating, I didn't notice. We were assigned the first floor by the wedding gazebo which was extremely convenient for the buses and boats. The drawer space in the rooms is more than I have ever seen in any resort on property.Staff was accommodating and friendly. The quiet pool, a short stroll down from the main lobby, was nearly empty one morning as I did a quick load of laundry in the separate laundry building and lolled about the pool area while waiting.

SAB is an imagineer's feat of genius in design, and the area is well-fenced so as to discourage any potential "hoppers". They do issue wristbands daily.

So.... why wasn't I comfortable, getting the magic feeling,etc., etc???

After 3 days, I spoke to a manager and asked if we could be moved to another resort, preferably Wilderness Lodge, where we spent the remainder of our stay. The staff could not have been more helpful, understanding and swift in making arrrangements.

Yacht Club was lovely, but not my style. Maybe because I live in a seaside area? Know all about boardwalks? The Food Court issue really did annoy me, but I knew that going in. It was more the mood of the place, maybe my fellow guests, seeking a different kind of vacation than I? In three days, I spoke to maybe 2 other guests. When I got to the WL, it was like a huge house party with the doors flung open in welcome. I chatted with folks from all over, everywhere we were.

More to come - off for a quick restaurant post and then to rest from vacation!!!

We didn't really "like" YC either. I don't know what it was, but it also just didn't appeal to us. I was staying there for a conference and we had stayed at Poly about a year before. We actually didn't find the YC to be very inviting and we thought the CMs were a bit stand-offish. We actually had a very rude CM check us in and the CM at the concierge desk was utterly clueless when she tried to find our park ticket reservations. She was carrying on a conversation with some other customers while she was trying to find our reservations and got herself totally screwed up in the system.
The lobby was very pretty but the room decor didn't do much for us. We did walk over to BC and thought that lobby was even prettier - light and airy - Maybe this would suit us better??? We didn't have a chance to use SAB. Overall, we were much happier with Poly. WL is one place that I really, really want to try - I'm glad that you got to a place in which you felt more comfortable!

I'm glad you were able to move, although the YC sounds wonderful too! We are staying at WL for the first time in December and I can't wait to experience it!

Hi, Melomouse.....I am sorry YC didn't appeal to you. :guilty: I was one of the ones that cheered you on to go ahead with it and try it esp considering that special one of a kind rate you got.:)

Glad you got to move to WL and were happier there. We kinda like YC. Our favorite is GF and YC kind of reminds us a little of the GF on the Epcot side.;) I agree YC is quiet - and to me, peaceful and kind of casually elegant - but I enjoy that.

I have never cared for WL as I live in a WL so I understand your comment about the YC & you living in a seaside area.

Can't wait to hear more. I am hoping the rest of the story will be great!:goodvibes

Lives4Disney :)

I was impressed that you didn't blame Disney, seems so many finger them for doing something wrong - sounds like you knew it just wasn't an ideal match - glad they were able to accommodate you and make the move, win-win situation!

We are one of those fans of the YC. We really like it and the staff was absolutely wonderful in concierge. That said, for many it doesn't ring their bell and I definitely understand that. The food court issue is always an issue for us -- they just need something like the Poly, GF, WL ... something more than the Marketplace and Hannahs.

But, we are also fans of WL. Many years ago when it first opened we lived in Northern Idaho. We visited WL and said not our cup of tea -- too much like home. Now we've been in AZ for 8 years and we love Wilderness Lodge -- couldn't see ourselves staying at CSR, though, too much like home.

Last Nov we stayed at YC ... then in March we stayed at WL .. this Sept we had ressies at YC and my DS9 asked if I could change it to WL ... urgghhh... I did but wasn't my choice. That said, I'm sure we will again enjoy ourself at WL. I am thrilled to hear how good the staff was about changing you over, though. And, I'm glad it all worked out.

While the Yacht Club is indeed a beautiful resort, I must agree that it is a little more subdued and "stuffy" compared to may of the other resorts. We were upgraded to concierge on a trip last year and I felt that it was mainly inhabited by "suits." Lots of business people there involved in hallway meetings.

The last thing I want on a vacation is to be in the middle of a lot of people working besides the cast members, of course. We love the Beach Club, Boardwalk, Poly, even the CBR. I wouldn't stay at the Yacht Club again and have no desire to stay at the GF.

I must admit the Wilderness Lodge holds no attraction to us because we live in the foothills of Colorado and it is almost like we never left home, even though it is beautiful and we visit it every trip.

Melomouse,
I have been wanting to stay at Wilderness Lodge for several years now, so Im glad to hear you liked it!

We actually had a similar experience two years ago when we did a split stay at POFQ/BWI. I really didn't have many real complaints about BW except that I didn't feel that "magic". We had such a great experience at POFQ that we kind of missed it for the rest of our trip. BW was a beautiful resort, but it just wasn't for us. BC, on the other hand, is still, to this day our favorite resort hands down. Very friendly, laid-back and beautiful! :cutie:

That definitely happens. One of the reason why I like Disney, there are sooo many options to fit every body. I stayed at the CR one year, it did absolutely nothing for me but my secretary adores it. Glad you had a great trip and that the CM's came thru for you.

I'm starting to get worried about myself - I keep hearing that GF and now YC are "stuffy". These are two of my three favorite resorts - maybe I'm stuffy and I don't realize it! Seriously we've stayed at YC and GF starting when the kids were 2, 4 and 5 and never felt that they were not welcome or either resort was too "stuffy". I kind of like the quiet of YC over the busy feel of BC after all the hustle and bustle of the parks. We've never stayed at WL because their regular rooms only sleep 4, but it's probably the one resort I don't feel connected to and don't have much desire to try.

Luckily WDW has something for everyone.

Hi, in March we stayed at BC, but walked through YC. I found all the CM's very helpful but as someone else mentioned-lots of business people. It was fine, and our children loved SOB, I loved meeting Art, and having the character breakfast at the resort was a plus too.
That being said, I am very happy to be going back to SSR in September, for us, this is where our home is!!

I'm starting to get worried about myself - I keep hearing that GF and now YC are "stuffy". These are two of my three favorite resorts - maybe I'm stuffy and I don't realize it! Seriously we've stayed at YC and GF starting when the kids were 2, 4 and 5 and never felt that they were not welcome or either resort was too "stuffy". I kind of like the quiet of YC over the busy feel of BC after all the hustle and bustle of the parks. We've never stayed at WL because their regular rooms only sleep 4, but it's probably the one resort I don't feel connected to and don't have much desire to try.

Luckily WDW has something for everyone.

Hello from one "stuffy" family to another ! :) Those are also our two favorites, although we love the theming of the WL, we always seem to book it then change to another resort for some reason. We prefer YC to BC because in our opinion the BC is way too loud and obnoxious for us, an dthat is a quote from our kids, :rotfl: We stayed at POFQ once and did not care for it, guests were loud, pool was not to our liking (kids said it looked "way better" in the ads, :)). We found the transportation awful and just felt disconnected from the magic. We had to wait through three boats to be transported to DTD in the heat of July and oddly, I jsut discovered that for once we took no photos of our resort, we took tons at POR and DTD and the boat ride over there, but none of POFQ. I mentioned it to DD12 and she said "that's because we didn't like it, Mom!"

But , as others mentioned, that's why Disney has so many different categories and themes, so that almost anyone can find something that they like. :)

I guess I am stuffy too.....and just not around the waist line!!!! lol

Sorry to hear YC wasnt to your liking...but glad to hear abt the great customer service and moving you to WL!! THere is something there for everyone! We were originally booked WL...but we spend almost our whole summer in Wisconsin....I know , not the same...but Wilderness/Moose Lodge is my "theme"....
We are still in search for our "home"......did someone say DVC??? lol

Isn't it wonderful that there are enough resort choices that everyone can find their "thing." We happen to love YC/BC. In fact, we had the same thing happen when we tried the GF. It was lovely, no real tangible complaints, just not our style. After one night, we moved to the Beach Club and we were glad we did. We love the Polynesian almost as much as YC/BC. In fact, we waffle back and forth as to which is our favorite. You were smart to move if you weren't happy.

PamNC

YC wasn't our cup of tea either and so, like you, we switched to BC after check in.

Sorry you did not care for the YC. We stayed there this past June and my family LOVED it! Actually, my family (DH,DD17 and DD13) loved it for the quietness of the resort. We went over to BC a few times and both girls were thrilled that we did not stay there, too loud and too many kids running around unattended. I guess since my girls are older, they loved the quiet pool so much more than SAB. :cheer2: princess: princess:

I have to agree with everyone that the great thing about Disney is that they have something for everyone!:) We were just at the YC from Aug 14-21, and absolutely loved it!! The staff is so friendly there. The last night of our trip we spent at the WL, I have always wanted to stay there and was looking forward to it. Well, I LOVE the lobby there, I guess that's one of the reasons I always wanted to stay there, but I was actually disappointed with the room! It seemed sooo much smaller than our room at the YC, it was very dark in the room, and the bed was definitely not as comfortable. :sad1: I remember thinking I was glad I had only booked the 1 night there, and not our whole trip!

But, alas, maybe we're just stuffy people too:rotfl2: ( I never thought we were) , but one of our other favorite resorts is the GF!!

Thanks for all of the replies - I just wanted to share my experience and I would not use the word "stuffy" at all in describing YC. The CM/Managers I spoke with agreed that because it is often used for conventions, some guests just don't like the "feel" of the place. She also guessed before I said it that I'd rather be at WL.

WL rooms ARE darker, for sure, but I believe they are the same size. Since the 10 days of our trip included ten of the hottest August days ever in Florida, as well as no rain at all until the 24th - I was able to have an illusion of "cooler" because of less light!

I was actually having a Disney identity crisis of sorts for a day or two, nonetheless, I am more addicted to WDW than ever, and am so impressed that we all have a place that will meet most all of our different tastes. For now, while I'm still a single mom travelling with kids, YC is just not MY favorite. I think 15 years ago, as a 30-something married no kids, it would have suited us just fine!!!

Yeah, I can see someone from Long Island not feeling an "escape" when visiting the Beach Club or Yacht Club. Beach Club is supposed to be themed like a New England Beach Club, and you're pretty close to that in LI. Yacht Club, though maybe slightly less "New Englandy", still would be pretty close to home for you in its theming.

But we actually prefer WL over BC, and we're plenty distant from either of these resorts' theme inspirations. It's hard to pinpoint exactly why, because there is no question that SAB is the best pool on WDW property, as much as I like WL's pool. And it sure is nice to be able to walk in the "back door" to EPCOT, or boat over to MGM. But there is just something about WL that keeps us coming back, and not just its proximity and boat ride to MK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter