Just Back HHI report w/photos

I think the chair rental must be seasonal, too. Every time we've gone during the summer, we've been able to walk out onto the beach, take two chairs and an umbrella, and have a lifeguard come up to us within a few minutes, charge us for the use, and reserve the chairs for the entire week at the same time. It's one of my favorite perks about HH, in fact, because I don't want to have to take my own chairs or umbrella with me!!!

There was a boat excursion to an undeveloped barrier island that you could sign up for that promised shells - if we had been there another day, I'd have signed up for it.

Would that be Dufuski Island? The one arranged through the resort? We've done it several times and it's one of our favorite activities each trip. We went out a couple weeks back - the last week of March, the first trip done to the island this year. Each time, I promise myself that I'm not going to pick up anything laying on the beach, and each year we bring home at least a bucket full of "treasures" :teeth:

Here's a couple of pictures:

Horseshoe crab shells:
hiltonheadmarch2007436.jpg

hiltonheadmarch2007438.jpg

Although we didn't keep them, it was cool to see a small stingray:
hiltonheadmarch2007448.jpg

A red starfish which was still alive:
hiltonheadmarch2007459.jpg

A live starfish:
hiltonheadmarch2007460.jpg

I didn't take any pictures of the sand dollars we found, but we found quite a few -- at least 20-25 this trip. :cool1:

I think the chair rental must be seasonal, too. Every time we've gone during the summer, we've been able to walk out onto the beach, take two chairs and an umbrella, and have a lifeguard come up to us within a few minutes, charge us for the use, and reserve the chairs for the entire week at the same time. It's one of my favorite perks about HH, in fact, because I don't want to have to take my own chairs or umbrella with me!!!

We saw maybe 4 chairs and umbrellas set up along the beach. There were lifeguards, they were just very spread out and no where near as many as there are during the summer months. We saw one lifeguard driving in a jeep, up and down the beach. I would assume if someone wanted to rent the chairs and umbrellas, he would have been the one to arrange the payment of them.

The beach has been redone and is very different than it has been the last 6 years when we've been there. There is now more sand and the tide doesn't come in as far as it did in the past. I can't say we ever saw it at low tide, but our kids did love to dig huge sand holes.

Here's a picture of my kids leaning over the "edge" where the high tide no longer comes in:

hiltonheadmarch2007374.jpg

And one of sand traps they worked on at times:
hiltonheadmarch2007217.jpg

Thanks for sharing your pictures ~ beautiful! We'll get there someday...

I am really enjoying all the wonderful pictures and stories of HHI. We are making our way through the WDW DVC's and are soon going to Vero Beach. My question is when to go to HHI? I cannot stand too much heat and humidity but want moderate temperatures to use the pool and enjoy time on beach. What would you folks suggest? Sounds like I'm talking to the experts! Thanks in advance and looking forward to more stories and pxs.popcorn:: Leslie

cgcw - that's the tour I wanted to take. When I checked the weather before leaving, it looked like our last day was going to be very "iffy" weather-wise, so I did not try to reserve the trip - then it ended up being beautiful and I wish I had! Great pictures. I love beachcombing when there is "stuff" to find.

mommym - You can luck out and get nice stretches of weather in march or april, but you're just as likely to get a cold snap. We actually had much, much, much warmer weather than I expected - and it dropped back down to a high of 70 our last day. I'd say you're probably safe the last half of May-first half of June - you should be able to count on warm days and pleasant evenings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter