Just Back HHI report w/photos

starbox

"There is more treasure in books than in all the p
We just got back from three fabulous days at HHI. Because it's only 4 1/2 hours away, I really wanted to try HHI last summer, but could not get a reservation.

We got very, very lucky with the weather. It was sunny and in the mid-80's all three days we were there. This was a trip with me and the kids, and at the last minute, my mom decided to join us.

What I :love: about HHI:

1. The pace is extremely laid-back and relaxing, and the themeing and decor reminded me in a good way of camping and vacations at my aunt's river house. Lots of back-story and hidden Mickeys.

2. I am a walker, and I love being immersed in a resort atmosphere - so I adored all the winding walkways, and the fact that the marina (with dining, live music, and shopping) was a short walk away (it was kind of like being across from Downtown Disney).

3. The CM's were extremely friendly.

4. Excellent :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 community hall and recreation activities - IMHO, the best of any resort we've tried (OKW, VB, SSR, VWL).

5. I though the salt marsh was cool with its tides and wild-life - the kids loved going fishing and crabbing.

6. The waterslide was thrilling because it was pitch black. Scary! (In a good way)

7. The low-county shrimp boil on Tuesday night was fabulous and made me wish there was a TS option every night.

8. We did not rent bikes because my city-raised children don't know how to ride bikes - but the bike rentals looked like SO much fun. You can rent bikes for the length of your stay and ride them everywhere - people have them locked up outside their villas.

What I Wish I Had Known:

1. There is not a quick and easy way to rent beach chairs (like at Vero), you really need to bring your own.

The Reason I Won't Be Adding On At HHI Even Though It's 4 1/2 Hours Away and Vero is 9 Hours Away.

1. I did not really like Hilton Head's beach. It was grey, "muddy" sand without seashells and little or no waves. I really like my beaches to be either powder white sand/clear emerald water (in which case no seashells and no waves is okay) OR to be "wilder" - like Vero or Edisto, with shells and consistent waves.

I know some people love Hilton Head- and I can see the appeal of the very gentle surf and hard-packed sand that you can bike on, but it just was not my favorite.

There's also a TON of stuff to do and see along the strip - tons of dining, shopping, movie, music, etc, and recreation away from the beach and resort - and I can see how that is a very big appeal for families.

I am sure we will go back to Disney's HHI because the kids just LOVED it, and I really enjoyed the resort itself and all that the resort had to offer - but Vero is going to be our second "home" resort.

Some of the walkways I loved.
img_0522.jpg

The Pool
img_0445.jpg

View off the balcony:
img_0506.jpg

Not-so-hodden Mickey at the campfire:
img_0452.jpg

Sunset at the Marina (DVC is among the trees to the right)
img_0505.jpg

DD8 hunting crabs in the marsh during low tide. Actually, this may or may not be allowed. One CM told us just to "walk in" and scoop crabs up during low tide - but after she showed another CM the bucket of crabs she caught that way, he seemed a little shocked that she'd actually gone into the marsh. :rotfl:
img_0576.jpg

Fishing off the pier:
img_0561.jpg

Big Murggie's Den:
img_0482.jpg

Inside the Beach House:
img_0527.jpg

img_0526.jpg

We're going to try HHI of these days. I have been there 3x and only once had decent weather(always told it was 80 the day before I arrived). I have friends from Atlanta that love it and spent a good part of their summers' there as kids & teenagers.

Glad you enjoyed yourself!

6 weeks until we will be there. An annual tradition for us now.

The kids say the best part is the bikes.

I like the balcony in the morning.

We get tired of the beach, but this time I think I'll throw the fishing rods in for some late afternoon fishing.

6 weeks until we will be there. An annual tradition for us now.

The kids say the best part is the bikes.

I like the balcony in the morning.

We get tired of the beach, but this time I think I'll throw the fishing rods in for some late afternoon fishing.

We never made it to the beach this last trip. We are pool people! :cool1:

I agree with you about the beach. We were unimpressed with it and prefer the beach at Vero. We have much better beaches here in Southern California- with actual waves. ;) We also prefer to stay on the beach as opposed to near the beach, so I am in no rush to go back to HH. It is a lovely resort, though and I think Disney did a fantastic job making you feel like it is in a remote location.

Thanks for sharing your photos! I really want to try HHI but I've never seen much of it so it was neat to see such detailed photos.

I used to go to HHI all the time when I was little, we split vacations and go there one year and WDW the next year, pretty consistantly but I have never stayed at the Disney hotel, it was being built or just opened when I was there last in 1998 i believe, but we always stayed at the Hilton in Palmetto Dunes and always had a nice vacation, I would love to stay at the Disney hotel if my family and I ever make it back here, I'm sure it has built up since 1998 but we always loved how it was so quiet unlike Myrtle Beach w/the big neon signs and ppl everywhere. But your pics look awesome!!!

I forgot to mention that the DVC rooms at HHI are ENORMOUS. Even the balcony was huge - an entire picnic table and grill could have fit comfortably on the balcony alone. And the sofa was queen size. :goodvibes

We never made it to the beach this last trip. We are pool people! :cool1:

I think the highlight of the last trip was renting a catamaran on the beach and taking it out in a 20 knot wind. I could barely hold the tiller with all my strength!! We were cruising and would have been up on one hull if there hadn't been 4 in the boat. (Since I haven't sailed in years I'm glad both hulls were down.) Even saw some dolphin. This time I'm gonna rent a smaller boat and teach the wife and kids to sail. If I get them hooked it may be my ticket to move back to my home state -- Florida.

On the beach we like to look for critters in the tide pools and take pictures and movies of one another being crazy. I did a sunrise walk one day which was great. But HH is way more than a beach trip for us and we would enjoy it without.

On the beach we like to look for critters in the tide pools and take pictures and movies of one another being crazy. I did a sunrise walk one day which was great. But HH is way more than a beach trip for us and we would enjoy it without.

ITA - I told DH on the phone that we'd have to go back because it's a fantastic family vacation. I grew up in Florida though, and I find that I almost crave the beach once a year. I don't think HHI will fill that "I-need-the-beach" gap for me - but it was a great lake/outdoorsy vacation. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

BTW - DH grew up with a godmother in HHI, and he says the thing he remembers about vacation there is how much fun the bikes were. :)

I forgot to mention that the DVC rooms at HHI are ENORMOUS. Even the balcony was huge - an entire picnic table and grill could have fit comfortably on the balcony alone. And the sofa was queen size. :goodvibes

The one and two bedrooms do have a picnic table and benches on them. For the studios, it depends which ones you have. Some of the studios in the building that connects to Live Oak Lodge have regular sized balconies.

The studios are very spacious!

And best of all, we leave for there tomorrow morning! Can't wait. Our waitlist came through and we have a two bedroom for our nights. We have friends going with us so had to exchange our studio. The last night just popped up on Wednesday - talk about last minute! We are going to really enjoy the space of the two bedroom as most of our HH visits are in studios.

And best of all, we leave for there tomorrow morning! Can't wait. Our waitlist came through and we have a two bedroom for our nights.

Have a great time. It got COLD yesterday, so bring warm clothes!! There were a ton of activities scheduled for Easter Sunday - it looked SO fun! You'll have a blast :goodvibes

I love that view off your balcony. What building were you in? Glad you enjoyed it.

I love that view off your balcony. What building were you in? Glad you enjoyed it.

We were in the main lodge building, which was very convenient, but lots of buildings have units that overlook the marsh.

Here are a few more pictures:

As you can tell by the green fence, they were doing a major refurbishment - lots and lots of contractors were working while we were there. We had a few minor Hopefully, they'll replace the sofa-bed mattresses. We did have one maitenece issue - which is that we discovered on the last evening that the automatic door lock was not locking when we left the room :eek: . I called the front desk and asked them to please sent someone to fix it before the room was given to the next guest.
img_0509.jpg

The ocean:
img_448.jpg

The marsh:
img_0545.jpg

Thanks for sharing the photos. I love this place. I go to HHI for the all the reasons you listed you enjoyed it.

If I want a beach I go to Destin, Fl, the most beautiful beach area in Florida.

Your pictures really made me miss it! We went last year for New Year's and plan to do it again. I know we don't get any swim time in, but like you said, the on-site activities are great for the whole family. I actually found a lot of shells, and sand dollars, on the beach. But it isn't the same as the white sand beaches we have here in Florida. I can't wait to go again and see the refurbishments being done.

Your pictures really made me miss it! We went last year for New Year's and plan to do it again. I know we don't get any swim time in, but like you said, the on-site activities are great for the whole family. I actually found a lot of shells, and sand dollars, on the beach. But it isn't the same as the white sand beaches we have here in Florida. I can't wait to go again and see the refurbishments being done.

I wonder if the shells are seasonal somehow? I know that some beaches never really get shells, and some are quite shelly. My dad grew up in St. Petersburg and I remember the beaches there all being so different. What's the one with all the pretty little coquinas (I have no idea how to spell it) that you can scoop up? I loved doing that as a kid.

There was a boat excursion to an undeveloped barrier island that you could sign up for that promised shells - if we had been there another day, I'd have signed up for it.

The town of HHI seemed great. I went to the outlet briefly and was impressed - I'd never seen a Gymboree outlet store before.

Thanks for the great pictures. We are taking our first trip to HHI for a week in August. We're all so looking forward to it!!! Your pictures gave me a peak at some views I hadn't seen before from the resort. :)

My dad grew up in St. Petersburg and I remember the beaches there all being so different. What's the one with all the pretty little coquinas (I have no idea how to spell it) that you can scoop up? I loved doing that as a kid.

The beaches here are much different than any other I've been to. As a kid, I collected a lot of coquinas on Pass-a-grille beach. But to see sand dollars, we have to go to a sand bar. That's what I loved about HH was the sand dollars were washed up right on the shore!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter