Just back from 11/10-11/19 WDW Trip Thoughts/Observations

peteykirch

DIS Veteran
Just got home from a long stay at WDW split up between three locations, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Pop Century, and Off Property at my Aunt's "Winter House"

First off, we lucked out in getting one of the new AKL refurbed rooms. Very nicely appointed, the downside, the absolute idiotic way you have to get to your room. It involved going from the lobby up to the 5th floor, following signs to another elevator, and then down to the floor your room resided on.

Overall, the parks were a little "busy" at the beginning of our trip with Veterans Day, but it was completely manageable. For the people who complain about the lack of FP+ options day of, unless you are a party of 8, you aren't trying hard enough refreshing the app to see what someone else might have cancelled. Was able to get multiple 7DMT, Slinky Dog, and Flight of Passage FP+ day of.

The weather was perfect, lows in the 50s highs barely in the 70s. Was comical seeing the locals act as if the Polar Vortex set up shop over Central Florida.

My biggest complaint honestly is that it seems CMs have absolutely no assertiveness. We were at the Contemporary waiting for the monorail, and the line was enormous, and each monorail that came by was stuffed to the gills with people. This is where CMs that are working the monorail need to step up and tell people they need to break down strollers. I know the monorail allows strollers to be pushed right in, but when space is at a premium, the rules should be subject to change. It was comical seeing parents take these enormous strollers, plop them in the middle of the cab, take the kids out of the strollers, have them sit on the bench or their parents lap, and not break down the stroller thus limiting the amount of people/space available in each cab. I get it that odds are most CMs want to avoid conflict, but they really need to use their voice and tell people it's not right to be a space hog.

The other issue we had was one day taking the boat from the Wilderness Lodge to MK, where we had to keep doing circles in the 7 Seas Lagoon because the "under construction" boat dock can't handle the amount of people getting dropped off and the security line can back up from the dock back onto the boat.

Didn't spend much time in Galaxy's Edge. We rode Smugglers Run once, it is absolutely garbage depending on who you get paired up with. When you get paired up with one family of 3 people, where one of them, the mother is a pilot and she does nothing but record her kid as the other pilot despite the fact the kid can't reach the mechanism to enter hyperspace or really reach the controls as all together it made for an awful experience.

Also, I giving Docking Bay 7 about 2 more months before they completely get rid of breakfast all together. If the park opens at 9, and you rope drop Smugglers Run, get off at 9:35 and go to Docking Bay 7 and they are already serving lunch, then you know there's an issue.

We did Disney After Hours at the MK on our last night, and it is 100% the best investment/extra upcharge event I ever experienced at WDW. Miniscule crowds where you can go from land to land without seeing another guest. Being to able to walk onto anything you want. It was the most relaxing touring I ever experienced.

While I get what you're saying about space being a premium when the monorails are full, at the Contemporary specifically, there just isn't the space available for families to break down strollers before getting on, not to mention, the monorails are timed for how long they're supposed to be at the station. If every person is expected to break down the stroller before boarding, even fewer would make it on board since the parents would be blocking the way trying to break down their strollers, including removing all their stuff in the strollers, right at the entrance of the cars. When you are waiting for a bus you have the space and time to unload your stroller, fold it up, and wait for your bus. You don't really have that opportunity at the Contemporary. I know this because I have stayed at the Contemporary a few times with my double stroller. I will say though that I do not take my kids out of the stroller nor do I myself or my husband sit.

Last edited:
The ride the elevator, walk , ride elevator ..... Why couldn't you just take the correct floor? Was a section of rooms blocked off , that's why the go around?

The ride the elevator, walk , ride elevator ..... Why couldn't you just take the correct floor? Was a section of rooms blocked off , that's why the go around?

Certain corridors of the AKL were completely blocked off for construction. So you had to go up to the 5th floor where they were done and the entire thing was open, walk across the building, then go down, it was silly.

While I get what you're saying about space being a premium when the monorails are full, at the Contemporary specifically, there just isn't the space available for families to break down strollers before getting on, not to mention, the monorails are timed for how long they're supposed to be at the station. If every person is expected to break down the stroller before boarding, even fewer would make it on board since the parents would be blocking the way trying to break down their strollers, including removing all their stuff in the strollers, right at the entrance of the cars. When you are waiting for a bus you have the space and time to unload your stroller, fold it up, and wait for your bus. You don't really have that opportunity at the Contemporary. I know this because I have stayed at the Contemporary a few times with my double stroller. I will say though that I do not take my kids out of the stroller nor do I myself or my husband sit.

Eh, I get space is tight, but with how slow the line was moving, there was ample time to get the job done.

If you can't break down the stroller in less than 15-30 seconds, you really shouldn't be operating it. Then again I'm from the time frame where when I was a little kid, my Mom made due with a simple umbrella stroller that collapsed nearly instantly, and took up less room than a shopping bag. Kids now are being pushed around in strollers with more bells and whistles than some cars it seems.

Eh, I get space is tight, but with how slow the line was moving, there was ample time to get the job done.

If you can't break down the stroller in less than 15-30 seconds, you really shouldn't be operating it. Then again I'm from the time frame where when I was a little kid, my Mom made due with a simple umbrella stroller that collapsed nearly instantly, and took up less room than a shopping bag. Kids now are being pushed around in strollers with more bells and whistles than some cars it seems.

Exactly. The strollers most people are pushing these days, whether you agree with the style of them or not, are not just a simple umbrella stroller, therefore it would cause more harm than good to enforce breaking them down at such tight quarters as the Contemporary monorail station, specifically. Until you've been pushing a stroller in that situation I don't think you can be so matter of fact about it. I was always the harshest critic of strollers in the parks and how people handled them. Then I started pushing one myself, and a wheelchair before that, and then I understood things I didn't previously... like why sometime people get knocked in the ankles by the strollers. Yes, some of the time (er...A LOT of the time) it's because the stroller is being pushed carelessly, but sometimes they get hit in the ankles because of that person's "carelessness" walking. For example, there are people who stop dead in the middle of a busy walkway directly in front of you & stopping quick with a stroller is not always feasible, just like in a vehicle. Again, I get what you're saying but I've been on the other side of it in recent years so I see both sides.

For me, it personally drives me nuts when people with ECVs get on a bus and their ECVs automatically take out three seats, then they get out of them and sit in a normal seat thus taking up 4 seats instead of just the three. Situations like this have caused me personally to have to ride on a bus for 20 minutes holding my two year old in one hand, while standing, with my three year old being forced to sit on the floor of the bus between my legs since my other hand was stuck holding my folded up stroller because no one offered their seat and two ECVs and all the family that accompanied them took up half the buses' seats. So as you, see we all have pet-peeves that irritate us but that's life. We'll get by.

Also just back. Split stay POR preferred ( requested AB 14,got 18) and AKL Savannah ( close to lobby request). Got Arusha,about 10 doors from lobby!
Buses were generally good. Skyline was so efficient and despite my hesitation to use it( ( Hs to Epcot) is recommend it

Parks were busier than I expected. Doable but def many more families with school age kids.
refreshed the app and we too got onEvery ride we wanted. Also got Be Our Guest and Hoop Dee Doo day before. Relaxing adult trip. Weather was cold, lol.

For me, it personally drives me nuts when people with ECVs get on a bus and their ECVs automatically take out three seats, then they get out of them and sit in a normal seat thus taking up 4 seats instead of just the three. Situations like this have caused me personally to have to ride on a bus for 20 minutes holding my two year old in one hand, while standing, with my three year old being forced to sit on the floor of the bus between my legs since my other hand was stuck holding my folded up stroller because no one offered their seat and two ECVs and all the family that accompanied them took up half the buses' seats. So as you, see we all have pet-peeves that irritate us but that's life. We'll get by.
Why not take an Uber, Taxi or the next bus if you want a seat? I don't rely on strangers to let me have their seat that they also waited in line for.

Why not take an Uber, Taxi or the next bus if you want a seat? I don't rely on strangers to let me have their seat that they also waited in line for.

Wow. She had two kids three and younger and a folded up stroller. And you wouldn't think it's reasonable for someone to offer her a seat? I hope your attitude isn't commonplace. Good manners still count even in 2019.

Car seats. Because taxis & ubers don’t carry two car seats AND I really didn’t think our country was that without manors, to be honest, that no one would offer any help. And to answer further, I’d rather stand on that bus & get home sooner than stand with my little ones for another 20 minutes waiting for the next one. I know what I’m getting myself into by using public transportation, but it doesn’t mean I don’t go without my own frustrations.

After that experience I no longer ride buses at prime times when I’m alone with the kids & if I have to travel at prime times, I thankfully now have the Minnie vans that come with two car seats to fall back on.

I’m surprised so many people got the fast passes day of that they were trying for. I literally set an alarm every 30 mins and Bieber got SD, not 7D. I’m not holding out much hope for FOP this Thursday. Good job!

There is no rule that says you need to break down strollers to get on the monorail whether it’s crowded or not. We stay on the monorail resorts (as do a lot of families) so we don’t have to have to break down strollers (although from Contemporary we would walk). Sounds like you were a visitor at Contemporary so maybe you would find it easier to just to take the bus from your resort. FTR DH can break down the stroller quickly, but then I would have to wrestle a squirmy 18 mos old while standing on the monorail if it was that crowded.

Exactly. The strollers most people are pushing these days, whether you agree with the style of them or not, are not just a simple umbrella stroller, therefore it would cause more harm than good to enforce breaking them down at such tight quarters as the Contemporary monorail station, specifically. Until you've been pushing a stroller in that situation I don't think you can be so matter of fact about it. I was always the harshest critic of strollers in the parks and how people handled them. Then I started pushing one myself, and a wheelchair before that, and then I understood things I didn't previously... like why sometime people get knocked in the ankles by the strollers. Yes, some of the time (er...A LOT of the time) it's because the stroller is being pushed carelessly, but sometimes they get hit in the ankles because of that person's "carelessness" walking. For example, there are people who stop dead in the middle of a busy walkway directly in front of you & stopping quick with a stroller is not always feasible, just like in a vehicle. Again, I get what you're saying but I've been on the other side of it in recent years so I see both sides.

FYI - sometimes the bus driver will not allow the ECV rider to remain on the ECV.

There is no rule that says you need to break down strollers to get on the monorail whether it’s crowded or not. We stay on the monorail resorts (as do a lot of families) so we don’t have to have to break down strollers (although from Contemporary we would walk). Sounds like you were a visitor at Contemporary so maybe you would find it easier to just to take the bus from your resort. FTR DH can break down the stroller quickly, but then I would have to wrestle a squirmy 18 mos old while standing on the monorail if it was that crowded.

I understand there is no rule, but when a situation presents itself, the CMs should have the authority to tell people space is tight on the monorail and they need to break down their strollers. It's just common sense thinking. You don't force people to break down strollers in the middle of the day when the bulk of the cars are empty. However when the cars are being packed in like sardines, the CMs manning the monorail station should be able to scan down the line of people waiting and just ask them to please break down the stroller, especially when it can be 5+ minutes between monorails arriving.

I understand there is no rule, but when a situation presents itself, the CMs should have the authority to tell people space is tight on the monorail and they need to break down their strollers. It's just common sense thinking. You don't force people to break down strollers in the middle of the day when the bulk of the cars are empty. However when the cars are being packed in like sardines, the CMs manning the monorail station should be able to scan down the line of people waiting and just ask them to please break down the stroller, especially when it can be 5+ minutes between monorails arriving.
I don’t think it’s common sense at all. The monorail doesn’t require stroller break down & shouldn’t as many ppl stay there b/c it doesn’t.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter