Just back! Did MK, MGM, Epcot, AK, stayed at Buena Vista Suites. Any questions??

MouseLover

DIS Veteran
I'll be happy to share any info I have with you.
Mad Tea Party was still closed for refurbishment.
:(

mic-min01.gif

Disneyland 1982
WDW:
Off-Site:
Aug. 1983, May 1985, May 1987, Oct. 1996
Polynesian July 1999
March 2001--Buena Vista Suites

I'm interested in anything you can tell me about Buena Vista Suites. We've always stayed at a Disney Resort in the past but we're considering an off site hotel to save some money next time.We've heard good things about Buena Vista Suites from a friend but we're afraid we'll lose some of the Disney "Magic" by staying off property How is the bus transportation to and from WDW?

Hello. You will definitely lose a lot of Disney magic by staying here, but you will save some money, unless you were getting only 1 room at the All-Stars. We paid the DIS rate, $102/nt for 4 adults and 1 child. The rooms were adequate, 2 full/queen beds, sleeper sofa, small microwave, small refrigerator (cold enough if you didn't open the door much), 2 TV's, VCR, Kit sink. Bathroom had toilet & tub w/ shower separate from sink/vanity area. A door separated Living area from vanity area, but an open doorway was between vanity and bedroom area. Our floor had brand new carpet (room 738). Hotel was relatively quiet. Outdoor pool was heated, with kids swimming in it, but still too cool for me once the sun was down and wind was blowing. Hot tub was nice.
Shuttles -- we did not use. We were going to, but breakfast began at 7am, and the first shuttle was 7:05. The next shuttle was 9:00 (too late), so we ate breakfast every day and drove our own car. The shuttle was free and I did not hear other guests complaining about it. We were told it would not leave early, but may run a few minutes late. There were 4 or 5 departures daily to each WDW park, and 4 returns.
The full breakfast buffet was pretty good. Menu:
scrambled eggs/fried to order
pancakes OR waffles (varied daily)
ham OR bacon OR sausage links (varied daily)
breakfast potatoes OR hash browns (varied)
Assorted pastries, doughnuts, cereal, fruit.
Juice, coffee, milk, choc. milk
Biscuits, gravy, grits, oatmeal, toast
This hotel was very convenient to WDW. There is a quickiemart (which I discovered on the day of departure had fresh fruit, salads, sandwiches inside)and walkin clinic and pharmacy across the street. Up the street several blocks (sorry, I don't remember the name of it) were several restaurants--Wendy's, TGI Friday's. Housekeeping was adequate. From our floor at the end of the hallway, we could watch MK fireworks from a distance. You could see the very tip of the castle. If you have any other questions, I'll try to help. We would stay in this hotel again, but would prefer to stay on-site if possible, or at Holiday Inn Family Suites, which looked great from the road.

mic-min01.gif

Disneyland 1982
WDW:
Off-Site:
Polynesian July 1999

Thanks for the detailed information. You've helped a lot. The friend that told me about Buena Vista Suites had never stayed at a Disney Resort so she couldn't compare them.

MouseLover

I'm one of those first timers still trying to decide whether to stay onsite of offsite. Still haven't found a reason why I should pay extra $$$ to stay in a scrunchy Disney hotel room, when I can have a two bedroom cabin or sweet within minutes of Disney for less $$$. Don't care about early entry or E nights. Will have a rental car.

So, can you explain what some of that lost "Disney Magic" is, when you compare Buena Vista Suites to a DR?

tkx

Well, for me, it's the theming. Please keep in mind, I've only stayed on-site once, and that was at the Polynesian, a deluxe hotel. However, I am sure the magic is still there at the other resorts as well.
It's difficult to explain, but I can compare it. It's the difference in Magic Kingdom and Six Flags. Both are fun, you want to do both again, but Six Flags is an amusement park and Magic Kingdom is like living a fantasy. I missed the Mickey wake-up calls. It's the difference in a Camaro and a Ferrari -- both adequate to drive, both sports cars, but really no comparison. It would be nice to be onsite so if some in your party wish to return for a rest or swim, it can easily be done via WDW transportation, even though you have your own car. One of our party felt ill on our last day and would have returned to the hotel if we had been onsite. Just a few thoughts. I'll stay off-site again if my budget requires it, but if I have the money I'll stay onsite. I'd rather have Disney magic 24/7 than a couch in my hotel room.

mic-min01.gif

Disneyland 1982
WDW:
Off-Site:
Polynesian July 1999

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter