Just back - a few observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta agree with you on the physically disabled having priority. Now before I get flamed...I am a special ed teacher so I am not totally removed from this personally. If a person is able to wait I believe they should! (Students with disabilities need to leant to wait as any other child.) Just because you are in a w/c or scooter does not mean you cannot wait for your place in the line or for you party to go through the line. As I understand Disney does not allow w/c or such to be advanced to the begining of the line for rides. It truly erks me when this is allowed to happen (anywhere). If there is an able walker(s) with the w/c bound person s/he should have to go through the line (with the exception of a w/c bound adult traveling with a minor). ADA provides for equal access not priority access.

Thank you. I did not mean to sound harsh. I have an ADHD child so if he can wait.... they can wait. And we all know ho w hard it is on a child with ADHD. If they are unhappy everyone around them also tends to be. However, i have told my child good coping skills and I try to keep him entertained.

I forgot to add one more pet peeve.... drunk scooter drivers........ please do not drink and drive. I have seen this one to many times. Also sorry about my typo's I am not wearing my glasses. Bad, bad I know but my doctor asked me not to for a bit. Really light perscription.

the smoking sections thing is one that gets me too. I am a smoker, and always use the smokers section and try to stand far away in it as possible to keep my smoke away from the non smokers as I can. Just to have someone walk by and give the rude look or the rude comment, kinda gets under my skin. I'm trying not to bother you with the smoke, that's the best I can do.
i am NOT a smoker and i am behind you 110%. i have heard these whiners and i just want to tell them to go stand somewhere else if they dont like it!

My objection is that all the family members being allowed on at the same time with no wait. Minor children accompanying the adult parent, o.k. Otherwise, one person allowed to accompany the scooter/wheelchair person and everyone else waits in the regular line. And if they all want to ride together, then the whole group goes through the line and the scooter person waits until their group has made it to the front of the line. .

You said what I meant to say!

My DBF is in a motorized wheelchair due to Cerebral Palsy. We have no problems waiting in line. In fact he would love to be able to walk to stand in the "regular line" like everyone else. He doesn't like anything making him feel less normal than anyone else. As for taking up room on the bus, there are many times I stand in the space directly behind his chair.

this discussion has never been about the space the wheelchair occupies. Please do not take it that way. I completely understand that he would prefer to walk hands down. I work in rehabilitative medicine. Sorry if you took this thread the wrong way.

For what it's worth, I'll give my opinion. I think there is a HUGE difference between a wheelchair and an ECV. I agree that we should go back to the "old" days and use wheelchairs, they are not as cumbersome and many can fold up.

I also would love to hear about some positive aspects of anyones trip!

But you see, until you produce a medical license, you're opinion isn't worth very much on the matter. I really fail to see why it matters to you who is using a scooter or a wheelchair. Could you just explain this to me please? How is me sitting my fat pregnant butt in a wheelchair while DH pushes me around hurting you? Why would it bother you at all? And for the record, some people have been blessed with pregnancies that are uncomfortable pretty much all of the time. You know not of what you speak.
you really got to stop sugar coating everything and start telling it like it is.:love:

Thank you. I did not mean to sound harsh. I have an ADHD child so if he can wait.... they can wait. And we all know ho w hard it is on a child with ADHD. If they are unhappy everyone around them also tends to be. However, i have told my child good coping skills and I try to keep him entertained.

I forgot to add one more pet peeve.... drunk scooter drivers........ please do not drink and drive. I have seen this one to many times. Also sorry about my typo's I am not wearing my glasses. Bad, bad I know but my doctor asked me not to for a bit. Really light perscription.

I didn't think you were harsh at all!!! We dont know what people are going through waiting in lines...the child that is doing his best to be patient, the Diabetic thet need his insulin, the pregnant mom that has a baby jumping on her bladder, the dad who's shoulders ache from giving his 5 yo a great view for the parade (which could be another pet peeve for some)...point is we all have to wait! The thing is ( I would guess for the most part) if you let others know what your deal is and that you need to get on that bus for a legit reason you will find people who are very sympathetic and understanding...it is the bardging in front of others that make people upset and lead to the "NO MORE" attitude.

Way to go :thumbsup2 for teaching you son coping methods. I think all children need to learn these...I try to teach my own 3 & 5 yos. Happy children=happiness for those around:rotfl:

Another wonderful trip. Did notice a few things that if people used a little common sense, would avoid some issues that aggravate.

Scooter etiquette

- Putting two adults on a scooter along with 2-3 kids and driving around a crowded park is not a good or safe idea.
-Allowing young children to sit on your lap and steer the scooter also not a good idea.
-Parking your scooter overnight in the hotel's hallways creates potential hazards if an evacuation is needed. Take it into your room with you or park it downstairs with bell services.
-Leaving 2-3 scooters- with no one at all anywhere around parked lengthwise along the lake front or parade route to hold spaces for an hour or so for your family is rude. Some of us can and will move the unattended scooters and sit down. By the way - this was not in the scooter/wheelchair designated viewing areas so we were not encroaching into those areas.
-Smoking scootees- a scooter is not a free pass releasing you from all rules. If you smoke, scoot to the smoking areas, you don't get to scoot around and smoke as you drive and toss your lit cigarettes away- saw this 4 or 5 times and yes, I am a smoker who smoked in the designated areas.

It is the policy of Disney and the rental companies than only one person is allowed on a scooter - if you see someone operating in an unsafe manner (i.e. hitting people) because there are kids on it/on their lap, you can inform a cast member...

I guess you should probably put on your flame suit, but who in the WORLD are you to judge? Just because someone could walk onto the rides or walk up 3 steps they are just too fat and/or lazy to walk all day? That is such a ridiculous statement I about choked on my milk. Just because someone can walk a short distance to a ride or up a step or two does not mean they are in any condition to walk all day long. Whether they're obese or not!

I am so sick of this arguement against people who are obese. Guess what, I'm obese! I've had people on another board (*cough*) say I am a monsterous blob who is too fat to live. And guess what, when I am having a bad day, I use a scooter! But it's not because I'm fat but I actually do have other disabilities (hidden, but there none the less). But if you saw me, you'd probably think I was just fat and lazy.

You are not these people. Really, you're not. So you have no idea why they are using an ECV. Could it be because they just don't want to walk? Sure. But there are skinny people who get it for the same reason I'm sure. At the end of the day, why bother judging anyone who needs to use an ECV for any reason? Seriously?!

By the same logic that you chose to lambast the poster about his OPINION about scooters and the people who use them, WHO ARE YOU TO QUESTION SOMEONE ELSE'S OPINION!!! I (along with many, many, many more people) agree with this poster and the fact that A LOT (Not All) scooter users use scooters because of their own laziness. There is absolutely no excuse for some of the people that use them to use them. These are the people that are the first to run over you in a crowd, and the first in line WALKING in a buffett filling their plates!
With that said, maybe you should know a little about me! I USE A SCOOTER because a drunk driver struck me crossing the street and I HAVE NO LEGS!!!!! Does this limit my mobility to the point that I need a scooter....yes! Does it give me the right to an opinion....YES! Just as the poster who you ATTACKED for having an opinion, I TOTALLY AGREE THAT LAZINESS IN WDW IS ALLOWED BECAUSE DISNEY TOLERATES IT BY ALLOWING THESE PEOPLE TO GET SCOOTERS. IN A WAY, IT KINDA REMINDS ME OF ALL OF THE PEOPLE ON WALL-E!!!

But you see, until you produce a medical license, you're opinion isn't worth very much on the matter. I really fail to see why it matters to you who is using a scooter or a wheelchair. Could you just explain this to me please? How is me sitting my fat pregnant butt in a wheelchair while DH pushes me around hurting you? Why would it bother you at all? And for the record, some people have been blessed with pregnancies that are uncomfortable pretty much all of the time. You know not of what you speak.

Now there is an idea...produce a Dr note for the need in order to rent a scooter. I would think that if a scooter is owned it is for a legit reason and then if all knew that to rent one you had to have a Dr note then people could stop accusing people of not needing them (I get this would not work for outside rentals). Yea, yea, yea...now you'll tell me that anyone can get a Dr note for a rental.:confused3

Misuse of scooters, smoking outside smoking areas, jumping lines or use of cellphones inside attractions are all things that can be brought to a CM's attention for quick and easy remedy.

Complaining about them anonymously on the internet will not remedy these situations.. now or in the future.

I might suggest you contact Walt Disney Guest Services - they are best placed to address your concerns with better CM training and so forth.

This thread can go nowhere good and therefore is closed here.

Thanks,

Knox

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter