Just back - a few observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew64

disfanatic
Another wonderful trip. Did notice a few things that if people used a little common sense, would avoid some issues that aggravate.

Scooter etiquette

- Putting two adults on a scooter along with 2-3 kids and driving around a crowded park is not a good or safe idea.
-Allowing young children to sit on your lap and steer the scooter also not a good idea.
-Parking your scooter overnight in the hotel's hallways creates potential hazards if an evacuation is needed. Take it into your room with you or park it downstairs with bell services.
-Leaving 2-3 scooters- with no one at all anywhere around parked lengthwise along the lake front or parade route to hold spaces for an hour or so for your family is rude. Some of us can and will move the unattended scooters and sit down. By the way - this was not in the scooter/wheelchair designated viewing areas so we were not encroaching into those areas.
-Smoking scootees- a scooter is not a free pass releasing you from all rules. If you smoke, scoot to the smoking areas, you don't get to scoot around and smoke as you drive and toss your lit cigarettes away- saw this 4 or 5 times and yes, I am a smoker who smoked in the designated areas.

Cell phones

-Should not need to be said, but using the cell phone on the attractions and in shows is extremely rude.
-Personally think there should be designated cell phone usage areas and ban thme everywhere else in the park!

CS restaurants

-When in line with your party of 4-8 people, the time to ask what does everyone want is BEFORE it is your turn to order.
-Changing dirty diapers in the restaurant at the table is disgusting. Watching you then eat a burger without washing your hands is sickening.

Hats

-When in a show, please remove your cowboy, mickey, goofy, tree hat so those behind you can see.
-By the way, if you choose to plop down in the middle of the row in the show with others coming behind you, yes the rest of us will walk and climb over you.

Smoking areas

-There are many more nonsmoking areas than smoking areas in the parks.
If you ar ea nonsmoker and sit down next to an ashtray surrounded by 6-8 people smoking and start complainig- you just look stupid.
Telling your children that the bad and nasty man is smoking is ignorant.
We smokers smoke in the designated areas and put up and shut up elsewhere. When nonsmokers enter the smoking area it is their turn to put up and shut up or move.

Another wonderful trip. Did notice a few things that if people used a little common sense, would avoid some issues that aggravate.

I'm glad you had a great trip.

-Should not need to be said, but using the cell phone on the attractions and in shows is extremely rude.
-Personally think there should be designated cell phone usage areas and ban thme everywhere else in the park!

Honestly, I agree with you on people using phones during attractions, but what is your reasoning behind "designated cell phone usage" areas, wouldn't that run into a problem if people are trying to locate a family member?
(I do not want to cause a problem, just trying to understand your reasoning)

-Changing dirty diapers in the restaurant at the table is disgusting. Watching you then eat a burger without washing your hands is sickening.

Okay, that..I clearly disgusting. That is exactly what the bathrooms are for, and even the MALE bathrooms have them. So that is no reason.

You are right about locating a famil ymember, but it seemd the ones in the attractions for the most part were just chatting away with someone at home for the entire time.

Amen. We just return from Wilderness Lodge on Sat. and my husband remarked how many people were using the scooters nowdays. I am very courteous when it comes to giving the right of way to a person on a scooter. We have disabled family members and I know first hand how hard it is to move about with scooters. I mean I can understand if you are disabled or have had an accident or elderly people who have trouble getting around. I know I am going to catch **** :sad2: for saying this....but we saw so many people that were just plain obese that just didn't want to walk. They could walk up the stairs to the resturants well enough. They could walk onto the rides well enough. They could ride and smoke very well too. I think Disney will end up having to make rules for the people who use the scooters to excess. The parking of them for instance...there were 50% more this trip than we saw two years ago. Some will run over you. They ride other members of their families on them too. I don't care a bit in the world to move over for the folks that really DO NEED this means of transportation.

Some drive them all over the place ...just getting past the maids and scooters in the narrow halls was tough. One incident happen when we were getting out of seeing the Nemo show....and the crowd was pretty thick....and an elderly gentleman walks right out and gets onto his scooter and just begins to back up. He didn 't look to see if anyone was behind him. He came very close to running over our little girl. :scared:

Sorry to offend, but if you need them fine (just think of us walking folks & excercise courtesy) and if you CAN walk, but would rather ride (try walking, it is healthier).:angel:

You are right about locating a famil ymember, but it seemd the ones in the attractions for the most part were just chatting away with someone at home for the entire time.

They should be banned during a ride or show but in a line as long as its not intro movie, and in the park is fine with me if they wanna waste there time at Disney on the phone while at the park so be it...

I'm kind of weird about cell phone usage at WDW. For me personally I would just as soon stay home as have to tote a cellie around all day, dreading that it may ring. What it boils down to is that if I'm at WDW I don't want to talk to you on the phone -no matter who you are. :teacher: When I go I leave the phone in our room and check messages once daily.

Having said that, I know some people must have their phones and use them throughout the day. I feel kind of sorry for those folks, but for some that is the only way they can go to WDW.

I agree with the PP saying if they want to use their time at Disney after paying thousands of dollars to talk on the phone and use even more money. I honestly think that some people can be very rude at Disney. There is certain phone etiquette that people should follow. Stand off to the side, don't try to find a place to eat, look at a map, talk to the person on the phone, to a cm, and to your family members in your party. Its just rude. The chatty stuff, saving it when you get back to your room and talk for hours among hours to people back home. Even while on the monorail, I was sitting on it next to a woman who kept saying "OH MY GOD" at the top of her lungs every 3 seconds.

Agreed with all EXCEPT the cel phone ban/designated area. We are taking our cels, butonly for if we get separated or as a safety measure for the children. It would be curtious for cel phones to be put on vibrate and leave if you must talk.
Unfortunately these days...Common sense is not so common! So people do things like complain about smoking in a designated smoking area and holding spaces with scooters.

Agreed with all EXCEPT the cel phone ban/designated area. We are taking our cels, butonly for if we get separated or as a safety measure for the children. It would be curtious for cel phones to be put on vibrate and leave if you must talk.
Unfortunately these days...Common sense is not so common! So people do things like complain about smoking in a designated smoking area and holding spaces with scooters.

They should be banned on a ride and during a show....anywhere else walking to a ride, standing in lines is fine....

Even while on the monorail, I was sitting on it next to a woman who kept saying "OH MY GOD" at the top of her lungs every 3 seconds.

I'm the person that would say, "OMG, NO Way....you know some people can be so rude. etc, etc, etc" addressed directly to the person. Unfortunately some are just oo clueless to even know theyare being rude.

disfamily3 said:
I know I am going to catch **** :sad2: for saying this....but we saw so many people that were just plain obese that just didn't want to walk. They could walk up the stairs to the resturants well enough. They could walk onto the rides well enough. They could ride and smoke very well too. I think Disney will end up having to make rules for the people who use the scooters to excess. The parking of them for instance...there were 50% more this trip than we saw two years ago. Some will run over you. They ride other members of their families on them too. I don't care a bit in the world to move over for the folks that really DO NEED this means of transportation.

I guess you should probably put on your flame suit, but who in the WORLD are you to judge? Just because someone could walk onto the rides or walk up 3 steps they are just too fat and/or lazy to walk all day? That is such a ridiculous statement I about choked on my milk. Just because someone can walk a short distance to a ride or up a step or two does not mean they are in any condition to walk all day long. Whether they're obese or not!

I am so sick of this arguement against people who are obese. Guess what, I'm obese! I've had people on another board (*cough*) say I am a monsterous blob who is too fat to live. And guess what, when I am having a bad day, I use a scooter! But it's not because I'm fat but I actually do have other disabilities (hidden, but there none the less). But if you saw me, you'd probably think I was just fat and lazy.

You are not these people. Really, you're not. So you have no idea why they are using an ECV. Could it be because they just don't want to walk? Sure. But there are skinny people who get it for the same reason I'm sure. At the end of the day, why bother judging anyone who needs to use an ECV for any reason? Seriously?!

I have been on POTC and a lady on the phone the entire ride....she was 2 rows in front of us so I didnt say anything but it was rude she wasnt taking loud and was trying to be quiet but everyone still heard her

Ooooooo....get ready! You're gonna get flamed! popcorn:: Don't you know you can't talk about people and their misuse of scooters around here!:rotfl: For the record I totally agree with you :thumbsup2

I'm the person that would say, "OMG, NO Way....you know some people can be so rude. etc, etc, etc" addressed directly to the person. Unfortunately some are just oo clueless to even know theyare being rude.

I mean, its just the fact that people attempt to multi-task while talking on the phone. I'm one who texts and walks, granted.. i've learned to do that by memorizing the keyboard (one of the reasons why i hate qwerty keyboard phones :rolleyes1) -back on topic : Its just the whole thing, if you're in an enclosed space and you're around many other people, its just common courtesy to lower your voice.

I guess you should probably put on your flame suit, but who in the WORLD are you to judge? Just because someone could walk onto the rides or walk up 3 steps they are just too fat and/or lazy to walk all day? That is such a ridiculous statement I about choked on my milk. Just because someone can walk a short distance to a ride or up a step or two does not mean they are in any condition to walk all day long. Whether they're obese or not!

I am so sick of this arguement against people who are obese. Guess what, I'm obese! I've had people on another board (*cough*) say I am a monsterous blob who is too fat to live. And guess what, when I am having a bad day, I use a scooter! But it's not because I'm fat but I actually do have other disabilities (hidden, but there none the less). But if you saw me, you'd probably think I was just fat and lazy.

You are not these people. Really, you're not. So you have no idea why they are using an ECV. Could it be because they just don't want to walk? Sure. But there are skinny people who get it for the same reason I'm sure. At the end of the day, why bother judging anyone who needs to use an ECV for any reason? Seriously?!

See....I told you...people are VERY touchy about the scooters! :scared:

See....I told you...people are VERY touchy about the scooters! :scared:

I see nothing wrong with anything that the OP stated. I agree with him on his points.

I do have a problem with judging people to be "just too lazy to walk" because they're obese and using a scooter.

I mean, its just the fact that people attempt to multi-task while talking on the phone. I'm one who texts and walks, granted.. i've learned to do that by memorizing the keyboard (one of the reasons why i hate qwerty keyboard phones :rolleyes1) -back on topic : Its just the whole thing, if you're in an enclosed space and you're around many other people, its just common courtesy to lower your voice.

I agree...the same really goes for personal conversations. I am constantly reminding my kids to use inside voices when in resturants and such...no one else wants to hear my family business...then again it could give them a good laugh sometimes:lmao:

I see nothing wrong with anything that the OP stated. I agree with him on his points.

I do have a problem with judging people to be "just too lazy to walk" because they're obese and using a scooter.

The sad part is that people do "abuse" items needed for those with disabilities...hidden and not. So the stereo types exist. People are quick to judge, but Disney could make things a little safer/easier by enforcing more than one person riding the scooters and giving designated places to park scooters (& strollers) so they are not just "left around."

The sad part is that people do "abuse" items needed for those with disabilities...hidden and not. So the stereo types exist. People are quick to judge, but Disney could make things a little safer/easier by enforcing more than one person riding the scooters and giving designated places to park scooters (& strollers) so they are not just "left around."

I do think it's unfortunate that the stereotypes exist, and maybe it's easier for me not to even notice or judge anyone in an ECV at the world because I've been a victim of that stereotype (being yelled at by someone "walk fatty" while driving through MK is a fun way to end a day, really.).

I do agree that there should be some designated places to park scooters and there DEFINITELY should be some better enforcement of more than one person riding an ECV. I've seen one of the three wheel ones tip with someone in them and a child in their lap. Talk about scary!

I agree...like you said...you are always gonna have people abuse the system...I don't care who uses them...I just think that Disney is going to have to come up with a system to make sure that the people that do use them, know HOW to use them. Maybe training classes or something??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter