JUNE W.I.S.H. Challenge - Looking Ahead

My WooHoo is a good eye appointment! I have been limiting screen time the last day or so because I had some sudden onset “floaters” and they can be red flag for a retinal problem. My eye doctor was able to get me in today, and thankfully it was just a vitreous issue, not a tear in my retina. 😃 He said it should continue to clear up.

It was kind of weird going to an eye appointment in these new times, especially since the office is in a mall (so they have easy access to LensCrafters). But it was the first appointment of the day, near an entrance, and not crowded, so I was more scared of what could be wrong with my eye than of being there.

My WooHoo is a good eye appointment! I have been limiting screen time the last day or so because I had some sudden onset “floaters” and they can be red flag for a retinal problem. My eye doctor was able to get me in today, and thankfully it was just a vitreous issue, not a tear in my retina. 😃 He said it should continue to clear up.

It was kind of weird going to an eye appointment in these new times, especially since the office is in a mall (so they have easy access to LensCrafters). But it was the first appointment of the day, near an entrance, and not crowded, so I was more scared of what could be wrong with my eye than of being there.
Glad it was not serious! I like the idea of trying to be the first appointment of the day.

Glad all went well. :hug: Appointments these days are so stressful.

I got my first floater when I was 40. I was very concerned about it being a retinal tear. My ophthalmologist laughed at me and asked, "How old are you?" I answered, "I just turned 40." Then he said, "Well there you go! You have 40 year-old eyes, and this is what happens when you are over 40. Get used to it."

My eyes were the first thing to go. Over the next 15 years, I have really learned about what being "over 40" means. The only thing that hasn't happened yet is gray hair. But gravity certainly isn't on my side.:tongue:

The only thing that hasn't happened yet is gray hair.

I get white hairs when I am stressed, right in front where there is no missing them... *BUT* since the first time it happened was when I was in basic training and 18 years old, I tell myself that I'm not getting gray from age, I'm getting stress-whites from <fill in the blank excuse here>. :) I swear I've seen floaters occasionally for that long, too, nothing serious, just tiny flecks of gunk floating around inside my eyeballs. It was actually pretty cool when we covered that in school and I finally understood what it actually was. Then after we covered macular degeneration in school I totally freaked out, and at my next eye appointment I was super-relieved that there is no sign of that yet. It's terrifying to think of losing central vision... not being able to read or draw or do crafts like crochet...

Anyway... woohoos...

-The bunny is doing great! He has a nest box in a big playpen (for pets, with a roof and floor) and has started eating the hay and weeds DD13 gives him. He is still on formula twice a day, and has demonstrated that he can use a standard drip bottle for that, but he is lazy and prefers the syringe and appears to be ignoring his saucer of water so far.

-I did a TON around the yard today... and survived... in addition to the usual "Fight back the vines, re-cut the wild trees that just keep re-growing from the roots over and over..." I also finally took care of the bittersweet chore of pulling out the kids old wooden playground and hauling most of that to the dump. I kept the little "house" part that used to be up in the air, just cut the legs off and put it on the ground for now... DD13 is too cool for playhouses anymore, but apparently these days "shabby chic" has mutated into "cottage core," so we are going to clear a little of the bamboo in the back corner and she can have the world's tiniest she-shed for when she is being a hormonal beast... So 3 trips to the dump today... 1 for the playground lumber and 2 for branches... and still soooo much more to do. It's really not that big a yard, but it is always a fight around the edges... you clear it all back and it has the audacity to re-grow. Stupid nature! >:( At least today I was working in the shady part of the yard.

-And so far, I *DON'T* appear to have been affected by the little bits of poison ivy I saw trying to pop up here and there. I'll get some dishwashing-type gloves and tackle those little beasts tomorrow (assuming I can move after everything today...) Family legend has it that we are resistant/immune to poison ivy... but I don't feel the need to test that. Rubber gloves and round-up for the win!

Thankful Thursday:

The challenge I am thankful for is my hosting duties for this week. I hesitated accepting this challenge until the summer when I was done with school. I didn't want to let any of you down by being too busy and doing a lousy job or downright forgetting to post.

I am thankful for this opportunity because it forced me to really be accountable this week. I have a responsibility to this group, and I realize that I need to do my best to be successful in my efforts this week. I haven't felt well the past two days, but I knew that I still needed to follow Noom anyway.

So thank you to all of you for letting me be this week's host!

Thankful Thursday:

The challenge I am thankful for is my hosting duties for this week. I hesitated accepting this challenge until the summer when I was done with school. I didn't want to let any of you down by being too busy and doing a lousy job or downright forgetting to post.

I am thankful for this opportunity because it forced me to really be accountable this week. I have a responsibility to this group, and I realize that I need to do my best to be successful in my efforts this week. I haven't felt well the past two days, but I knew that I still needed to follow Noom anyway.

You have done a wonderful job! I have looked forward to your prompts every day!

A challenge I am thankful for is finally getting into the habit of walking 2 miles almost every day. Since I retired I don’t get in nearly the amount of steps and activity as when I was working. It’s a big part of maintaining my weight and especially now, maintaining my mental health.

The only thing that hasn't happened yet is gray hair.

I have so much grey - I have had it for quite some time and I turned 47 this year! Last year I had to start getting blonde highlights to help disguise it as I have dark brown hair - when I dyed it brown it only took 2 weeks to have a silver halo at my hairline - YIKES - now that I am blonder it blends so much better :)

What challenge are you thankful for?

Hmmm I guess I shall say I am thankful for the challenge to improve my blood sugar levels every day - previously even thought I knew it was an issue I could live in denial as I didn't have to face it everyday - now there is no getting away from it and it is driving all of my other healthier habits.

I know you have been feeling very overwhelmed with everything but you have done a great job hosting - thank you for helping keep us all motivated and focused this week :)

My belated Woohoo for Wednesday ..... A late afternoon walk by the beach with DS19 yesterday :)

Thankful Thursday:

You have done a great job. And I have found that I am more focused the weeks that I host. Glad you are finding it to be a good experience as well!

Thankful Thursday
View attachment 503969

What challenge are you thankful for?
I love this! And I instantly started to think of many challenges that have pushed me to grow stronger and be better!

As far as work, I have had many challenges (changing schools, changing grades, getting new grade level partners several years in a row, new curriculum, challenging students, etc) and I am thankful for almost all of them. But I think this year takes the cake on work challenges. Leaving school one day for a two week break and being told we will not have to teach from home, changed to we will need to teach from home with whatever we have at home because we aren’t allowed back in the building. That was a huge challenge. And I am now thankful for that because it forced me to learn more about the technology I can use with the kids even once we return to school. And it allowed me extra time at home with my growing kids who will be moving in to college in just a few short years. Time is precious. So as I wouldn’t choose to teach virtually forever, I am grateful for the short term opportunity to do so.

As far as fitness, I am thankful for this group and our discussions. And finding this group brought me into the Dis WISH boards, where I found a walk to Disney challenge. I have completed that twice now (I think) and decided to change it for me this summer to walk/run/bike to The Outer Banks. It’s about 400 miles in 10 weeks and I am really motivated. Plus I knew I have to include biking in order to make it. And I rediscovered my love for bike riding. Key for me though...a comfy seat ;)

in terms of eating, I enjoyed the challenge of starting the 21 Day Fix a few years ago. My former grade level partner turned stay at home home had just become a Beachbody Coach and I honestly joined to help her out....but it ended up truly helping me! It was a challenge to figure out how to eat based on the number of each container I could have in a day while also starting a new school year. But it helped me to learn how to eat better and she held me accountable. And prior to that MyFitnessPal helped me track the number of calories I was eating each day, which is another challenge I’m thankful for.

I guess it comes down to all the challenges help us to change, whether it’s to lose weight, be a better parent, learn something new, etc. So I’m grateful for all the challenges in my life (maybe I don’t recognize that in the moment though). I enjoyed reflecting on this today. Thanks!

But I think this year takes the cake on work challenges. Leaving school one day for a two week break and being told we will not have to teach from home, changed to we will need to teach from home with whatever we have at home because we aren’t allowed back in the building. That was a huge challenge. And I am now thankful for that because it forced me to learn more about the technology I can use with the kids even once we return to school. And it allowed me extra time at home with my growing kids who will be moving in to college in just a few short years. Time is precious.

Learning new technology is probably the challenge I'm most grateful for lately as well. It's so easy to say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and just keep doing things the way I'm used to, but I really want to stay in touch with things as I get older, and not miss out on the opportunities new tech will provide.

Having to learn Zoom and Google Meet to stay connected with people I used to see in person is going to help me stay connected to people farther away even after all this ends.

I'm thankful for the way the challenges of the past few months have changed me. I feel like I am finally, at age 64, coming in to my own, so to speak.

My county went to phase 2 of re-opening end of last week: this week the Governor has added mandatory mask wearing while out and about. The complaints about wearing masks are so exhausting, it is such a simple and effective thing to do to protect your neighbors. Washington gets lumped into the category of states having dramatic increases, but really it is just one county that is really struggling. My county has an small increase in positive tests, but not in hospitalization or deaths, and we're not seeing an increase from the protests. I watched a couple of the MSNBC news shows last evening, so it is all weighing heavily on me this morning.

I overcame another challenge today. I have been avoiding the beach because of my fears. It has been okay exercising in my house, but I have missed my walks on the beach. Being there isn't just about exercise, it's about experiencing my favorite part of nature, the seashore. So, this morning, I woke up feeling better than the last two days and thought that today might be the day to accept the challenge of getting back out in public. I donned my new Disney mask and headed out. There were many families on the beach...no masks at all. But, they spread themselves out pretty well. It still made me somewhat uncomfortable, so I walked to a more deserted area that is really rocky and not desirable for laying out. The sandbars also created more space. I only encountered one person who I had trouble avoiding because she kept coming toward me no matter how hard I tried to veer off in another direction. Of course, she had no mask on. Anyway, I managed to get away from her. It was not a relaxing experience, but I did get a good workout.

2570140E-AA3C-4F9C-9D82-83524D2CFEBA.jpeg

Last edited:
Free For All Friday:

I'm going to lay low today. I didn't get much sleep last night dealing with side effects from my thrush medication. It is exacerbating my GERD. So I'm just going to be addressing my health needs including drinking chamomile tea tonite to calm my stomach and help me sleep. DD has a telemedicine GYN appointment this morning.

Boring around my neck of the woods. Hope all is well with everyone today.

Today is my twins 16th birthday party #1. This is my daughters party with friends. I’m taking my daughter and 3 of her friends/neighbors to a local lake to go paddleboarding. Our county in PA is going green today. So more things are opening up, including restaurants. But I’ll just pick up pizza on the way home and they can eat on our deck.

Also I’m donating blood today. The American Red Cross is testing for COVID-19 antibodies as an additional service. I’m eager to find out...

I'm going to lay low today.

Feel better - hope all is ok with your DD :hug:

I ended up with KFC for lunch today - send DS to the supermarket for a chicken - they had none - time crunch between videoconferences for work - and went with the easy fast food option! I did a little experiment to see how much I would be affected by eating a Chicken Burger and Regular Fries - I checked my blood glucose before I ate and it was at 6.2 (I had done a 30 minute walk at about 10.30am) I checked again after my 2nd videocall which was about 3 hours later and it was 12.5! eeekkk I went for a 45 minute walk after my Physio appointment at the beach - had a simple dinner and checked again 2 hrs after dinner and I was back in range at 7.7. Wow - what a rollercoaster of blood sugar! But I think I NEEDED that proof that I really should NOT be having the simple carbs. ugh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter