January 2019 -Everyone needs deadlines! Diet & Fitness monthly W.I.S.H chat

Hello!

I know its the end of the month, but I just found this group and I could use the accountability and support. I’m a mom of 4 young kids, ages 2, 3, 4, and 6. I used to be an attorney, but we moved states and I just a stay at home mom at the moment.

I got on the scale the other day, after noticing my pants were super snug. Truth be told, I’ve noticed for awhile now that my pants were painted on. The scale was unkind but truthful. I way as much now as I did after I had my last baby and the pants I was wearing were my post maternity pants.

I’m booking a March 2020 cruise and I think this is the perfect reward/goal/ opportunity to do something about the way I feel.

Looking forward to getting to know you all, and doing something positive for myself.
Welcome!

Over the weekend I got an email from The Challenge that speaks to breaking habits which I found very useful, so I thought I'd share the highlights to start the week off:

To successfully break a habit you have to break the habit loop, which is comprised of a trigger, a behavior and a reward.

Steps to breaking the loop:
Become Aware (identify not only the habit, but the trigger)
Choose to change (if you aren't really willing to lean in to the change, you will not be successful)
Change the environment (remove the trigger, if possible)
Replace the behavior (chose something positive that will give the same sense of reward)
Get support (we're good at this, aren't we!)
Monitor and track (we have multiple tools here we like to use)
Repeat (be consistent and persistent... it took a long time to develop the old habit, and will take time to break it and
develop new habits)

Thoughts on the above...

Most of what was in the article was review, but the part that was new to me was replacing the bad habit with a new habit that gives the same sense of reward. This weekend I gave in to the sugar-monster and had some candy for the first time in a week... I even had to go to the grocery store to get it and that didn't stop me. I've been trying to figure out what would give me the same satisfaction, the same fix if you will, that I can do instead. Part of the craving was the chewing thing I have, where I need to chew away stress, and part of it was the desire to graze, or munch on something. I don't like gum so that's not a good substitute for chewing, I'm sensitive to nuts so I can't graze on them instead. Maybe I shouldn't be looking at a food substitution, but should get up and go for a walk or do some other sort of physical activity instead. Hmmm.....

I read a number of interesting things over the weekend, but other than that did next to nothing. Saturday was beautiful weather, and Sunday was predicted to be the same but then Sunday the overcast never burned off, and I never really got going either. My one accomplishment was that I finished knitting a hat (my second finished thing this year. I'm on a roll.) And I started a shawl... 10 times I started that shawl and it ripped out, but I've got it now.

I leave for my next business trip tomorrow morrow morning an will be gone until Friday, the project is finally going live, even tho it isn't "fully baked", so it should be a "fun" week. At least the part my team worked on is pretty solid... fingers crossed!

Here's to a great week for us all!

Replacing a bad habit with a good one is a struggle for me also.
Do you have to eliminate candy entirely? I keep a bag of Dove dark chocolate pieces in the freezer and have one almost every day. Learned this from one of the healthiest, fit people I know. Sometimes I have it after lunch, sometimes after dinner. Sometimes not at all. I limit sugar in the rest of my meals and snacks (a post on here by someone really opened my eyes) but if I couldn’t have that piece of chocolate I would feel too deprived.

Replacing a bad habit with a good one is a struggle for me also.
Do you have to eliminate candy entirely? I keep a bag of Dove dark chocolate pieces in the freezer and have one almost every day. Learned this from one of the healthiest, fit people I know. Sometimes I have it after lunch, sometimes after dinner. Sometimes not at all. I limit sugar in the rest of my meals and snacks (a post on here by someone really opened my eyes) but if I couldn’t have that piece of chocolate I would feel too deprived.
For what happened over the weekend, I think the trigger was having a salad with dressing on it that had quite a bit of sugar in it, then the need to chew and graze piled on top. So I'm not sure if I can have just a little bit, because it truly is an addiction for me.

Hello!

I know its the end of the month, but I just found this group and I could use the accountability and support...Looking forward to getting to know you all, and doing something positive for myself.

:welcome: I just joined earlier this month as well, and I'm loving it so far!

@Oneanne, thanks for the habit loop info! - It really makes sense to me because I've been trying to reduce (not eliminate) sugar, and it turns out that was exactly what I was doing, just without realizing the labels:

I normally drink coffee with milk and sugar, but tea plain, so I've been swapping out some of my cups of coffee each week for tea. Based on your post, I think it's working because it still provides a similar reward for the same triggers (part of my morning routine, I'm cold, etc.)

@4Mickeys That beach picture looks amazing! We're looking at possibly some snow tomorrow possibly mixed with some rain. So I'll just keep looking at the beach pic :)

@Oneanne Thanks for the habit breaking info. The habit that was hard for me to break was soda. I use to enjoy several sodas a day. But when I tried to change that habit, I definitely had to find a replacement. While I was trying to drink more water, I found that Bai was a good replacement for me. I would treat myself to no more than one a day. And I tried to use it as a reward for another area I was working on (drinking enough water, reaching my steps goal, completing workouts, etc). Really seemed to work, with the small issue that Bai was much more expensive than soda ;)

As for my weekend, I stayed on track most of the weekend. Continued with my morning workouts. Was able to meet most of my goals (steps, food, water). But I still really need to work on getting more sleep.

Over the weekend I got an email from The Challenge that speaks to breaking habits which I found very useful, so I thought I'd share the highlights to start the week off:

To successfully break a habit you have to break the habit loop, which is comprised of a trigger, a behavior and a reward.

Steps to breaking the loop:
Become Aware (identify not only the habit, but the trigger)
Choose to change (if you aren't really willing to lean in to the change, you will not be successful)
Change the environment (remove the trigger, if possible)
Replace the behavior (chose something positive that will give the same sense of reward)
Get support (we're good at this, aren't we!)
Monitor and track (we have multiple tools here we like to use)
Repeat (be consistent and persistent... it took a long time to develop the old habit, and will take time to break it and
develop new habits)

Thanks so much for sharing this article about the “habit loop”. I am going to try to remember to read this every day for inspiration.

:welcome: @Adventurelawyer

Habit keeps you going. That's the truth. I'm so used to recording all my food and steps that I don't even think about it anymore. It's just something I do! I had to laugh at @sjrec's dark chocolate comment. DH is totally addicted to that. And it reminded me of a story from phit-n-phat. Apparently one of the clients has to have a piece of chocolate cake every day. She does and has lost a ton of weight. It's all in the planning!

I've been grumpy and stressed today and I think I've hit on the reason why. One, I am fighting a cold, and am feeling run down. Two, at a meeting yesterday, it was mentioned again about a retreat I have to attend in a month. I'm pretty introverted and the thought of spending a weekend with a dozen strangers is not making me a happy camper. I think I just need to quit fussing about it. When the time comes I'll put on my big girl panties and deal with it!

Tonight I cooked a spaghetti squash. It was my first time. We ate (with leftovers) half of it with meatballs I'd made last night and tomato sauce. It was pretty good. I'm not sure how DH felt about it. He ate it, though! :rotfl:Anyone have any yummy ideas for the other half?

I hear ya about attending a retreat with strangers lol. Try your best not to obsess about it. Once you do it, it will be done :) It will be nothing but a memory. The only recipe I ever made with spaghetti squash was Parmesan Garlic Spaghetti Squash. I found this recipe on Pinterest:
https://www.tosimplyinspire.com/parmesan-garlic-spaghetti-squash.html
I hope everyone has a positive day. Let’s all fight those little food devils on our shoulders!

I know its the end of the month, but I just found this group and I could use the accountability and support.

Welcome - think of it as a jump start on next month with us :D

I’m a mom of 4 young kids, ages 2, 3, 4, and 6. I used to be an attorney, but we moved states and I just a stay at home mom at the moment.

You are a very busy lady and I never think of SAHMs as 'just SAHM' I have been there when my kids were younger, and did it on my own, cherish that stay at home time with them while you are able - it flies past way to soon - my first baby starts University this year in a couple of weeks :upsidedow

Today’s exercise=shoveling out for an hour o_O

OMG - not fun in the cold I bet - I have been doing some yard digging over the past week to loosen and level the yard ready for some pavers. Digging is hard work weather its hot and sweaty or in the cold.

First day back at work today, packed my lunch and prepared tomorrows from tonight's dinner. Last night was the first Keto meal we haven't liked - I think it was the butter. Recipe called for cooking cabbage in butter (quite a bit of it) we have historically been margarine eaters and so the taste is not one we are used too. DD thought there was cheese in it from the taste lol poor thing - if I re-do it another time will use olive oil instead I think - it was a kind of stir fry recipe really so I think the oil will swap in ok.

Last edited:
The past week or 2 has not been great eating wise or exercising. I am starting to think this snow and cold weather is getting to me. Normally we get a break in between the bad weather for at least a day but that day or two that we have had it has been pouring the rain. I need to figure it out but it has been so cold that as soon as I get home I put on my PJ's and get under my heated throw blanket. Tomorrow will be the worst for the cold. Schools will be closed tomorrow (not called yet but it is only a matter of time) and most likely Thursday as well. My work is even talking about being closed tomorrow. I need to move south. Even just to southern Ohio.

Ok I am done complaining about the weather. Work has been crazy with training my replacement (the job I was doing before I got the promotion). Once I have him trained and the person that is replacing another co-worker that got a promotion things will get back to normal or my new normal.

I some goals in mind for February and excited to leave January. It has not been a bad month though.

@4Mickeys Thanks for volunteering for February!!

I had a good day yesterday. Had a long day (12 hours!) at work, but had packed a dinner, so with going out for lunch, I was set for my meals. When I got home at 9:30pm I really wanted to snack, but since I have already eaten all the snacks at home, I just took a hot bath and then went to bed. I also tracked all my calories and had a nice deficit going there. Today is going to be another long day and I hope that I will be able to repeat yesterday's success. I am back to trying intermittent fasting and so far it seems to go ok. I need to get back into the rythm so that it becomes a habit again.

You are a very busy lazy

OMG I just edited my previous post to fix this ..... of course it was supposed to say LADY :rotfl:.... I noticed it when I was skimming through just now. Sometimes fingers have a mind of their own then when are typing don't they? Eding up with some funny things ... honestly busy and lazy :confused3

I am starting to think this snow and cold weather is getting to me. Normally we get a break in between the bad weather for at least a day but that day or two that we have had it has been pouring the rain. I need to figure it out but it has been so cold that as soon as I get home I put on my PJ's and get under my heated throw blanket. Tomorrow will be the worst for the cold. Schools will be closed tomorrow (not called yet but it is only a matter of time) and most likely Thursday as well. My work is even talking about being closed tomorrow. I need to move south. Even just to southern Ohio.

No wonder its getting to you - I would want to crawl under the covers too! Hope you get some relief from the weather soon :-)

@DizMinMouse thanks for the recipe!
Thanks @4Mickeys for taking on February!

I had a lovely quiet evening after work. Amazon music has a Disney soundtrack channel that I played while relaxing. DH was at the gym so I just kinda ate what I wanted when I wanted. He ate the same things when he got home. Then I had some hot cocoa for dessert. Yummers! Finished a project that had been hanging over my head for too long so that feels super. One more thing to do tonight before bedtime. It might be a bit earlier than usual just because I can!!

Only a couple more days of January left! Stick to those healthy choices!!

No wonder its getting to you - I would want to crawl under the covers too! Hope you get some relief from the weather soon

It looks like we will be close to 50 on Sunday or Monday before we drop again. It will be a nice break. Today everything is closed. Even some mail deliveries and trash collection has been suspended for today. I have never seen that happen before. Our temp right now is about -1 and the wind chill is about -20. We have pipes that freeze easily and out attic area is at -32 a few hours ago. We have 2 fans and a space heater by the pipes and have the water running. They said that we have not had temps like this since 1994. I was 14 but I don't remember it. I get to work form home today so I am in my Jammies in bed working with a heating blanket on. This is where I will stay today.

-23 degrees F right now, -46 wind chill. We’re colder than Alaska, Norway... Mt Everest! Everyone’s home today and probably tomorrow. My goal is to crawl out from my comforter and exercise at home at some point today. I have a bike and elliptical so should be able to do something. Bad thing... want food. Must be either anxiety or some primitive survival response.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter