It's Better Than Stuffed Mezzaluna with Sausage! [Update 4/11: Link to TR!]

Picture Perfect - Part IV

(10) MK: Roy O. Disney and Minnie statue

2Roy.jpg

Until I started DISing and got obsessed with Disney, I didn't know that the statue in the front of MK with Minnie was actually of Roy O. Disney and NOT Walt Disney! I know, I know, it's so wrong, isn't it? I don't feel entirely bad because I do sometimes see people say it's Walt Disney in TRs. Everyone has more to learn, right?

Anyway, since I grew up thinking it was Walt (haha, never mind the fact that the man didn't look like the man in the Partners statue in front of the castle!), I'm exciting to see it now and take a picture with it and of it. I'd like to be a bit more creative with the picture, but I don't know if that's possible from me! Maybe Weird will get one.

I think it's only appropriate too because it was only recently that I learned just how much Roy did to help Walt. I mean, Walt was the idea man; he was such a brilliant man. But Roy was, in my opinion, a lot of the brains in terms of the logistics. He thought about the money issues way back when they were just starting out. Of course, we also know that the Disney parks wouldn't have continued to emerge and grow if it weren't for Roy since Walt passed away throughout the planning of it. I just think it'd be nice for me to finally see Roy for who he really was instead of "just" Walt's brother!

(11) DHS: Giant Coke bottle

2Coke.jpg

I don't drink much soda anymore because that and donuts are extremely fattening for me. Haha, thankfully the cake/cookies/chocolate stuff isn't that fattening for me. Anyway, even though I don't have much soda in my diet (only for stuff like fried chicken or pizza or ginger ale when I'm nauseous), I do absolutely love Coke every once in a while. The thing is, I really shouldn't be having Coke because caffeine gives me pretty bad palpitations. My cardiologist told me to stay away from pretty much all forms of caffeine if I can (chocolate included!), but on a few occasions, I have some Coke as long as it's early enough or I know I'll be moving around for a while (ex. barbecues or parties).

When I saw a picture of the giant Coke bottles, I definitely knew that I wanted to take a picture with it! That's a crazy amount of caffeine! Haha, that means it's also a crazy amount of heart palpitations. A picture will be the healthiest way to enjoy such a bad-for-me drink.

(12) Epcot: Flower & Garden Festival Victory Gardens

:flower3:
(Yes, this is the picture I'm using because I'm too tired to search for a F&G pic!)

I was reading a description on AllEars about how Epcot will have the fab five as topiaries at the American Adventure in a Victory Garden. I just finished reading a book called Stepping on the Cracks by Mary Downing Hahn that mentioned a victory garden.

During WWII, food had to be rationed to be sent to the soldiers overseas. It wasn't as easy to have food available like they did before war time, so one of the things that people did was grow fruits and vegetables in their own garden. It was a physical way that they could help out with the war effort.

If you've read a few of my other installments, you know that I absolutely love the fact that there's so much that one can learn at WDW! I want to take pictures of these things and use them in lessons at school. This in particular was interesting to me since I had just read about it in a book! Oh, if only we could a field a trip to Disney!

That would be so cool to use stuff from WDW in school lessons. :thumbsup2

Your F&GF picture is the best one. LOL!

I love your photo shopping idea, too!

Just think, you'll be there next month! :goodvibes

I can't wait to see all the great photos you are going to get!

Just found this! I am from NY too (Also went to Pace University downtown) and you and Weird are too cute!

We are going to miss each other but I can't wait to see the Flower and Garden Festival this year. I hope to actually see it! And not go "*** all this rain!!! Let's ride SSE again!"

Sounds very exciting Rachel!

I'm so excited that we'll be there in less than a month! I can't believe I still have so many days of work to get through first though, haha.

That would be so cool to use stuff from WDW in school lessons. :thumbsup2

Your F&GF picture is the best one. LOL!

My 6th and 8th grade ELA students are writing persuasive essays. My sample essay was about why WDW is better than Universal Studios. My 3rd body paragraph was all about the disguised educational opportunities! I'm slowly going to convert as many students to be Disney fanatics as I can.

I love your photo shopping idea, too!

Just think, you'll be there next month! :goodvibes

I can't wait to see all the great photos you are going to get!

I think I'll be getting a TON of photo shopping pictures! I just know that EVERYTHING there will look at me and say, "Buy me!"

Just found this! I am from NY too (Also went to Pace University downtown) and you and Weird are too cute!

Hi Nicole! Welcome :goodvibes Though I'm from NY, I would really prefer to be anywhere else, haha. I'm definitely not a city person. I'd like to live in Celebration, Florida ... or on a farm in Idaho!

We are going to miss each other but I can't wait to see the Flower and Garden Festival this year. I hope to actually see it! And not go "*** all this rain!!! Let's ride SSE again!"

I hope rain doesn't spoil either of our plans! I think that if it does end up raining though, I'm going to tell myself that it's a good thing because that's when the parks are less crowded. Of course, it shouldn't rain on an Epcot day because of all the stuff outdoors, especially Test Track!

I can't believe that my last update was on February 27th! I've been so busy with work, staying after school to catch up on paperwork, staying after school to tutor, staying after school for parent teacher conferences, and staying after school for meetings! We have new students who started at the school (my brother being one of them!), so there's an adjustment period that both teachers and students must face. Plus, I've just been so gosh darn tired!

I promise to have an update tonight or tomorrow. I have pictures that I want to post, new things I want to write about, and I should have the time to do it this weekend! "See" you all then :upsidedow

Yay, you're back! I was going to give your thread a little bump since we're getting SO CLOSE now! Can't wait for your next update. :)

Glad your back Rachel and we understand people have lives outside of Disney haha! Take your time.

Yay, you're back! I was going to give your thread a little bump since we're getting SO CLOSE now! Can't wait for your next update. :)

I know; the time is coming so quickly! It's unbelievable! But this just goes to show how busy I am. The administrative assistant at school asked how many days I have left (S is also a Disney fanatic!). I couldn't even answer her! She counted for me though, hehe. But with the craziness of life, I didn't even know the number of days!

Glad your back Rachel and we understand people have lives outside of Disney haha! Take your time.

Haha, even though I haven't been on DIS, I've been talking more and more about WDW in real life. Any time I do a vocabulary lesson with my 6th graders, every single one of my sample sentences to explain the word is Disneyfied!

Two Quick Comments

Before I write an official update, I have to comment on these two things I just "learned" and just have to share!

The first one is that when the daughter in the Carousel of Progress is talking to her girlfriend on the phone, she makes a comment about someone named Howard! I was listening to the audio on YouTube just now, and I had to stop and listen to it again! Weird and I (and my mom and brother) are going to get such a kick out of that when we hear it during the show. Haha, notice I didn't include my dad on that ... he'll be sleeping!

The second that I was listening to and wanted to comment on is the Winnie the Pooh audio! Um, what's with the Heffalump and Woozles song? I don't think I've ever heard the lyrics before until just now, and I have to admit that they're frightening! The people singing it remind me of the original Oompa Loompas in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Then the lyrics go, "Beware, beware, be a very wary bear." Who are these quick, slick, and insincere creatures? Why must they multiply (ply, ply, ply) so quickly? Why must they "guzzle up the thing prize"? I think this might be scarier than Snow White! Haha.

Trip Mascot

About two weeks ago, Weird and I were at AC Moore with my mom and Matt. I had randomly stopped in the day before since my parents went to pick up groceries next door, and I saw that they had a HUGE sale! I didn't have that much time to shop, so I had to go back the next day.

I was able to buy ALL of these clear stamps.

A460.jpg

A461.jpg

They were extremely cheap. Most of them were $2.50 since there was an extra 50% off the clearance merchandise. The bigger ones at the top of the first picture were about $4. I definitely scored, and it didn't take that long because I knew where I wanted to go and what I wanted to buy!

My mom, however, was still browsing the store, so Weird and I did a bit of wandering ourselves. We found this stash of Ty beanie babies and noticed that they had such interesting animals! Here are some of the different animals that we've never seen before:

A bat would be a perfect mascot for a trip that included an Animal Kingdom visit! It's a little scary if you've read the 2nd Kingdom Keepers book though!
A428.jpg

A pelican would also be a unique mascot, unless you're like Irky and don't like birds!
A427.jpg

Lastly, here's a hedgehog and an otter. Um, I think that's what they are. I was never one who loved animals; Weird's that person.
A423.jpg

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the very distinctive hair of one of the most frightening animals to walk this earth!
A425.jpg

They had a buffalo beanie baby!!! The difference between this one and the real ones is that this one was actually quite cute! I thought about getting it, but I went to find out the price, and it was $5. As I held on to the little guy, I think I vaguely remember AGPrincess having this buffalo as her mascot during one of her trips!

Here's a pic of me with the buffalo for a size comparison too. I wasn't sure that I wanted to carry such a large mascot around with me on the trip since it wouldn't really fit in my Lesportsac bag with what I already plan on carrying.
A430.jpg

Well, since I didn't get the buffalo, I went home and Weird helped me look through my bag of stuffed animals and small beanie baby-like fellas to pick out a mascot to bring with me. Here are some introductions:

Meet Bailey.
A448.jpg

If you read my last trip report from 2008, you may remember Bailey from a few pictures. For many years, Bailey has accompanied me on many vacations. He's been to Florida at least twice. He's also been to Virginia (King's Dominion!) and Pennsylvania (Hershey!) as well. Unfortunately, because Bailey is pink, he's getting a little dirty. Yes, Bailey is a boy. His name came from Bailey Salinger from Party of Five because I thought Scott Wolf was such a cutie (as was Matthew Fox as Charlie!). However, now that I come to think about it, Bailey doesn't really get to visit Disney World. On the occasions that I bring him with me to the park, he kind of stays in my bag because I'm afraid to lose him or get him dirty!

Meet Maybeck.
A450.jpg

Maybeck has never been anywhere before. I pulled him out of my bag of little friends. Haha, that sounds a little creepy as I type it out. Anyway, he's a water buffalo, so he's close to the buffalo thing. We just felt it'd be a little funny if my mascot was in anyway buffalo related because of my huge fear! I like Maybeck just because he's easy to position so taking pictures would be easier.

Meet Philby.
A452.jpg

Weird thinks it's better to bring Maybeck. I, on the other hand, would rather bring Maybeck just because I think the camel is more unusual! Plus, I think he's cuter. The only problem is that it might take a few more seconds to prop him up. BTW, Maybeck and Philby are the names of the two guys that are part of the Kingdom Keepers other than Finn Whitman. Finn's the main character, so Maybeck and Philby need some time to shine too! Maybeck's the strong, tough guy, and Philby was the geekier one who did all the research and knew the technological stuff.

Lastly, I do have a chubby penguin at school, but he might be a little too chubby. I unfortunately didn't get a picture of the little guy before I left work yesterday since I was extremely fatigued and just wanted to get home.

I don't know; do you guys have any opinions? Now that I just wrote this installment, I think about how Bailey might get jealous about not being able to go and see Disney World! Haha, I know this isn't a major decision, it's just one that I have to make before we go.

Hey, I have that otter beanie baby (so you were right ;))! I vote for Bailey, she's cute. :cutie:

My sister had a little trip mascot when she went...I kind of want one too. LOL!

Hi again! I've been out of touch of your PTR for awhile, but I caught up today. :wizard: I adore all of your updates. My vote is for little Maybeck...he's too cute. By the way, where are you staying again?

Yay, I'm glad you are back! Crazy how real life can interfere with the DIS, isn't it? :laughing:

I think Philby is too cute, he's got my vote! I'm sure Bailey will understand since he's been so many places with you. Plus, you won't have to worry about him. Maybe he can stow away in your suitcase, though. Then, he could jump out and surprise you after you are in FL! :goodvibes

My vote is for Bailey. I always liked him out of all the Salingers :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter