Is there less enthusiasm for watching TV nowadays?

We don't watch anything live, not even sports. DVR all of it and skip the commercials. When we do happen to see one, it actually seems odd. The same commercials over-and-over during a 30 or 60 minute show. Almost unbearable. :scared:
Same. If there's something I really want to watch ASAP, I still start the show 10 or 15 minutes into it and FF through the commercials.

I will say the strike this year has changed my long ingrained habits some. After Covid delays just a couple years ago, they are training people to not depend on that regular broadcast season. I've been finding alternatives, and I imagine a lot of others did as well. Seems bad for an industry that surely was bleeding viewers already.

While I am a Trek lover, Star Trek Discovery was the last straw for me. 🤢
Yeah - New Trek is unwatchable for me- and I have tried. Even Picard Season 3 was just bad IMO - people are that desperate for decent Trek - and now there are Picard movie rumors :(.

Have you seen Star Trek Continues on Youtube? It's a fan produced series that continuous from the Original series.
Its was actually pretty good and of course it respects TOS.

The son of actor James Doohan plays Mr Scott. One or two minor characters from TOS reprise their roles. Michael Forest reprising his role as Apollo in the first episode - I think there was one other as well.

Some other folks show up in it as well Gigi Edgley of Farscape, Lou Ferrigno, John de Lancie (Q), and a few folks show up to do the computer voice. (Michael Dorn and Marina Sirtis)

https://www.youtube.com/user/startrekcontinues

I could never get into GoT, so I don’t consider that a factor. I just think network TV has stopped producing decent shows. Most of the must see network tv shows of the past would never be green lighted by networks today. Something like All In The Family would surely be pushed to a streaming service.

We watch regular tv for things like the news, game shows, sports, and late night. There are also the various reality/game show blends and competitions. There are still some interesting things on the various cable channels, but it’s usually more a matter of what’s on to pass the time vs things we go out of our way to watch.

Love my cable tv! We record lots of shows!
Never ever watched GOT.

YouTube for me is a tool to fix something. Not entertainment.
I love our cable too, except the bill. We bundled with Spectrum years ago and our bill is up to $262 a month. Ridiculous! So we’ll be changing to streaming soon which should save us about $100 a month.

I love our cable too, except the bill. We bundled with Spectrum years ago and our bill is up to $262 a month. Ridiculous! So we’ll be changing to streaming soon which should save us about $100 a month.
I find that it just didn't work out in the end.

I was a very early cable cutter, the issue is its still $100 a month for internet.
When it was $50 for PlayStation Vue it was great.
They went under, mostly because of the stupid name, it had nothing to do with PlayStation and you did not need a PlayStation.

Anyway the cost of the other services has gone up quite a bit since then, and I've tried them all.
It seems they are all missing one or two channels I wanted that cable had.
Then you start adding extra screens and DVR and its nearly the same as cable.
Then there are the 72 different streaming services on top of that to deal with - initially it was just NetFlix and they had everything and the price was reasonable.

I feel the days of cord cutting saving money may be past us.

Anyway - I currently have no live TV service that I pay for and just use YouTube and several streaming services that I have managed to get for basically free from various credit card offers. (The cards have high annual fees of course)

So make sure you can get the channels you want as well as the number of concurrent streams and still be ahead of the game. Where cable really gets you is with the taxes IMO and they are trying to make the live stream services pay those same taxes as I understand it. If that happens then I'm not sure streaming services have anything left to offer.

I watch very little of the regular old broadcast networks. Only for Survivor and The Amazing Race. I do watch a lot of YouTube and some cable networks-Food Network, HGTV, Hallmark. I have zero clue what sitcoms are on now adays or if there are even any?

What destroyed tv for me aside from too many commercials is the lack of unique, quality programs. Too many game shows and reality tv. I don’t watch or want either. I’d love a unique sitcoms that is not crime/law/fire/medical based that will last more than one or two seasons.

I don’t want drama, I want to laugh.i only watch Ghosts (UK and USA versions), but don’t k is when it’s on. I miss 90s ABC sitcoms where I laughed. Sorry, I stopped watching the Conners a few years back.

I don't really watch much. My family likes Bob's Burgers and we watch that on Hulu usually a few days after it airs. My husband and I will watch random episodes of things on Hulu, like we watched a little of Animal Control which was funny. But I find I just don't really care too much about shows anymore -- like, I thought that show was funny but also if I never watched it again I wouldn't care. I re watch a lot of 80s and 90s sitcoms with my kids. We watch Wheel and Jeopardy at least 2 or 3 nights per week. Can't think of much else we watch regularly. We don't have cable or a recording device so if I miss it and it's not on Hulu then oh well.

When I was a kid I definitely watched more TV and it was more of a "thing" -- waiting for TGIF was a big deal, waiting for new Simpsons (who shot Mr. Burns?).

I do have some YouTube subscriptions that I watch during treadmill or laundry folding, mostly watercolor tutorials, finance videos, and a few other random things.

I do still love movies though.

What destroyed tv for me aside from too many commercials is the lack of unique, quality programs. Too many game shows and reality tv. I don’t watch or want either. I’d love a unique sitcoms that is not crime/law/fire/medical based that will last more than one or two seasons.

I don’t want drama, I want to laugh.i only watch Ghosts (UK and USA versions), but don’t k is when it’s on. I miss 90s ABC sitcoms where I laughed. Sorry, I stopped watching the Conners a few years back.
Do you have any streaming services? While they're not exactly goofy sit-coms like in the '90s, there are quite a few very funny things. Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Prime), Ted Lasso & Trying (Apple+), Crashing (Netflix) and Hacks (HBO) just off the top of my head. All this stuff is "unique", not formulaic and very well done, IMO.

I watch very little of the regular old broadcast networks. Only for Survivor and The Amazing Race. I do watch a lot of YouTube and some cable networks-Food Network, HGTV, Hallmark. I have zero clue what sitcoms are on now adays or if there are even any?
there are lots! I watch many. I love a simple sitcom in the evening.
Young Sheldon, Children Ruin Everything, Run the Burbs, Son of Critch - are the ones I watch currently.

there are lots! I watch many. I love a simple sitcom in the evening.
Young Sheldon, Children Ruin Everything, Run the Burbs, Son of Critch - are the ones I watch currently.

i was just about to mention the WONDERFUL canadian shows we are watching on the CW-esp. son of a critch (LOVE malcom mcdowell in it!). the 'big 3' u.s. networks are lagging on comedies-most are past their prime and several will be ending with their upcoming abbrevieated seasons. there is talk of a young sheldon spin-off based on georgie but i don't see that lasting long (unless they pull in some of the remainder of the old cast to balance it out). i'm enjoying the night court reboot for what it is but the new john cryer sitcom is still not landing with me.

i was just about to mention the WONDERFUL canadian shows we are watching on the CW-esp. son of a critch (LOVE malcom mcdowell in it!). the 'big 3' u.s. networks are lagging on comedies-most are past their prime and several will be ending with their upcoming abbrevieated seasons. there is talk of a young sheldon spin-off based on georgie but i don't see that lasting long (unless they pull in some of the remainder of the old cast to balance it out). i'm enjoying the night court reboot for what it is but the new john cryer sitcom is still not landing with me.
I started the Night Court reboot but just not liking it.

Night Court has gotten better in Season 2 actually. They got rid of the clerk and the rest of the cast is gelling a little better. They had replaced the clerk with the the crazy judge Flobert who had some appearances in the first season, and I really like him, but after a few episodes they have brought in a new clerk and he is less interesting for sure, but Flobert was still around sometimes. I'd rather Flobert be on the main cast, regardless of his role.

the reboots are not my favorites but i like night court better than the one they did on frasier. we have a wealth of tv series on dvd (we only got access to streaming via starlink a couple of years ago-life altering o_O :rotfl:) so we've been revisiting some older shows-dh finaly got me to watch 'eureka' (i'm not a sci-fi fan but i appreciated the comedy), i think we might pull out 'corner gas' (thanks again canada:thumbsup2) and we've talked about binging 'schitts creek'-we watched it from day one on tv so we would like to binge it and pay attention to the character development/story arcs, it's something we've enjoyed doing on other older comedies (parks and rec, the middle to name a couple).

Could not even bring myself to watch it.

For the most part, I don't like reboots.

I did like the Frasier one, but the first episode or two were not great and I'm not sure I would call it a reboot.
I really dislike the nephew in it though, I think he needs to be cut.
Also, since he is back in Boston, why has he not run into any of the folks from Cheers?

Thanks. That reminds me that I haven’t watched the Christmas special, yet!

Could not even bring myself to watch it.

For the most part, I don't like reboots.

I did like the Frasier one, but the first episode or two were not great and I'm not sure I would call it a reboot.
I really dislike the nephew in it though, I think he needs to be cut.
Also, since he is back in Boston, why has he not run into any of the folks from Cheers?

Like Frasier, Night Court is a continuation of the original, not a reboot in that sense. Dan is there, but this time as the Defense attorney, and the judge is Harry's daughter.

Last edited:
I have not watched TV in about 2 years- at the gym I will put on netflix on my phone and watch like the british baking show while I am on elliptical but that is it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter