Is there a reason why people find the need to stand during Parades/Fireworks/Stage shows

As long as I don't have a kid in front of me on someone's shoulders completely blocking my view, I thank the Disney gods.

I have to stand due to knee pain. The new location of the Star Wars fireworks dessert party was a disaster for me. They wanted everyone to sit so I did and I was in terrible pain. I missed the info that it had moved viewing locations from the first time I booked it. I can no longer book that dessert party.

Same thing happened in Disneyland when 2017 D23 parks and resorts panel gave out free VIP fantasmic viewing. I didn't know it would be sitting only. Ended up in terrible pain and left the park early because of it. The last time I booked a Fantasmic Dessert Party in Disneyland, they had actual seats for everyone. I much prefer that.

The cast members request everyone to stand up during the fireworks at Disney World for safety reasons.

When Disney provides a seat or bench for me to side on, I'll sit to watch the shows. If there isn't anything other than the street, a curb or grass to sit on , I'll be standing. I always wonder about the guests who bring wet wipes to wipe down the door knobs, television remote, toilet seat, wherever or used to remove the bedspread when they had them. But they'll gladly sit on the filthy street or curb.

"Is there a reason" this thread is 5 pages? LOL!! The OP didn't want an real answer, they only wanted to complain and many people jumped on the bandwagon, or told the OP why they can't sit, but 5 pages?? At least it gave me a laugh tonight, thanks :-)

I wouldn't even have a problem with everyone standing if they didn't also have to put their cell phones in the air to document the event!

We attended MNSSHP recently. Every other person had their arm in the air holding their phone to record the fireworks. It's so distracting to all those behind! The funny thing is that they can go to YouTube and find the entire show! Why the need to record a snippet here and there? Just put down the phones and enjoy the show!

Probably for the same reasons that people stand at music concerts. Though I never have been able to figure that one out either. :confused3 :sad2:

Same thing with the tablet people. :sad2:

Not sure what kind of concerts you go to, but the ones I used to go to the performers would be mad if people just sat there. Classical music concerts yeah, people sit.. but otherwise music is for dancing/moving/singing along so people naturally stand.

Have previously discussed situation that almost got violent over sitting/standing in the fenced off section by Casey's... Disney really needs to choose a standard and give notice about it on the guides and in the announcements to avoid confusion and conflicts. Always thought the hub should have been designed as a bowl so that people could naturally see over each other.

And sadly, you take a risk trying to be nice...have seen many situations where people will let a little kid up to be able to see but then the parents and rest of family try to shove their way in also.. you didn't wait 30+ minutes saving a spot, don't expect to show up last moment and push your way up.

I always wonder about the guests who bring wet wipes to wipe down the door knobs, television remote, toilet seat, wherever or used to remove the bedspread when they had them. But they'll gladly sit on the filthy street or curb.

Wonder no more. It's to disinfect items that actually come in contact with skin. If I'm sitting on the ground or a curb I'm wearing clothes.

Everyone sits in Tokyo. And not just the first few rows of people. Yes, much further back people can stand, but everyone else sits. The underlying difference is not about the 'icky' ground or safety issues. It has everything to do with the culture, orderliness, and health. Understand that the Japanese (as well as the Koreans) traditionally sit on the floor for eating (it is called 'tatami' in Japan, 'ondol' in Korea - those are the mats you sit on). Restaurants will often have a tatami or ondol area, and some places to eat are entirely without chairs. Hotels, even modern ones, will have some tatami or ondol rooms, no furniture. You sleep on mats. Americans, for some reason (can't imagine what it could be) are less 'bendy' than many others around the world, and have resultant knee problems. I am that way. But I did sit for parades in Tokyo, and I have eaten in Korea at places that had no chairs, so I sat on a mat on the floor. I never thought I'd be able to do it, but I did. When my kids were pre-teen and we were in Korea, my daughter elected to sleep on a mat on the floor.

"Is there a reason" this thread is 5 pages? LOL!! The OP didn't want an real answer, they only wanted to complain and many people jumped on the bandwagon, or told the OP why they can't sit, but 5 pages?? At least it gave me a laugh tonight, thanks :-)

And you got to add to those 5 pages too!

I will say I've been going to wdw for over 20 years now, and the only fireworks/parades I sit for are those where A: I am on the curb (parades) or B: they have seats provided (think Fantasmic).

The OP relayed their experience but asked the question in the title of this thread. I think they do want to know the reasons.

FWIW, I would happily sit while in the front row. :)

Everyone sits in Tokyo. And not just the first few rows of people. Yes, much further back people can stand, but everyone else sits. The underlying difference is not about the 'icky' ground or safety issues. It has everything to do with the culture, orderliness, and health. Understand that the Japanese (as well as the Koreans) traditionally sit on the floor for eating (it is called 'tatami' in Japan, 'ondol' in Korea - those are the mats you sit on). Restaurants will often have a tatami or ondol area, and some places to eat are entirely without chairs. Hotels, even modern ones, will have some tatami or ondol rooms, no furniture. You sleep on mats. Americans, for some reason (can't imagine what it could be) are less 'bendy' than many others around the world, and have resultant knee problems. I am that way. But I did sit for parades in Tokyo, and I have eaten in Korea at places that had no chairs, so I sat on a mat on the floor. I never thought I'd be able to do it, but I did. When my kids were pre-teen and we were in Korea, my daughter elected to sleep on a mat on the floor.

I watched a huge fireworks display in Yokohama a few years ago. Everyone sat everywhere, including the middle of streets for blocks around. Clearly a cultural difference, and one I wouldn’t mind being adopted here.

And this is why I hate Arrowhead stadium. The fans are so rude. We've been to games in numerous stadiums and Arrowhead is the only one I've had been thrown at me, been threatened by drunk men bc I was cheering for my team, cursed at just walking into the stadium, had ppl tell my husband he better shut me up, etc. Very Classy. Also #gobroncos

Orange and blue flows through our veins
May the mighty Broncos reign

Because they want to I assume. I'm a sitter but my husband is bigger and HATES to sit.

Wonder no more. It's to disinfect items that actually come in contact with skin. If I'm sitting on the ground or a curb I'm wearing clothes.
You get up from sitting without using your hands? I must say I generally use my hands for balance to get up but everyone is different.

My legs touch the ground if I'm sitting on it. When I sat for the Fantasmic! show last month in DLR I had on capri's that hit me nearly mid-calf...my bottom of my legs around my calf and ankles touched the ground at some point in the various positions I was sitting in. Plus when it was time to get up I used my hands.

The only way nothing would touch the ground is if I put something on the ground first that was wide enough for my whole body and then I was very careful picking that item up off the ground.

I'm short so I know the struggle. That said sitting for too long is also a problem. The downside to standing is after a long park day it's the standing still that is a killer on my feet. Even sitting at Fantasmic! in DLR still presented a problem when people disrupted the show to come under the ropes to sit in any tiny open area left by someone plus you still have taller people (like my husband). Either way it was nice to see more than we would have if standing (like we had when we watched WOC back in March) but wasn't exactly comfortable either. My husband said it was not easy for him at all sitting.

Cons to standing in terms of viewing and guests jockeying for viewing positions though but cons to sitting in terms of policing that everyone sits and comfortability of sitting.

I think more people in Japan have an easier time sitting on the ground and getting up than Americans. Japan is the healthiest country in the world and obesity is very rare there. I'd say about 50% of the US population would probably at least struggle with getting up from sitting on the ground, and many of them probably cannot do so without a lot of help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter