Is it rude to hold a place in line waiting at entrance to park for another family?

Markonefive

Mouseketeer
Would it be considered rude to allow a family of four we are travelling with to join us in line at the entrances to give them a bit more time to get ready in the morning? Or is this considered cutting and would be frowned upon by others in line? Don't want to offend anyone (some of us Canadians are funny that way).

I wouldn't like it.

You maybe a group of 4 extras to hold a space for but imagine if every other person in line does it. that line to the entrance is going to grow for those who made the effort to get up early and wait.

Most people may not say anything but I'm sure you would get a few hard stares from others behind you.

I personally find it super irritating when I’ve gotten up super early and I’m in line, and then some group cuts in front of me to join their friends. Get up early like everyone else, or move to the back of the line. It annoys me on rides too.

Others will feel differently, and that’s ok!

People will be mad. Others will do it. It is done all of the time.

I‘m not saying I agree or disagree, but you will see many do this at the main gates. It gets a little more hairy at rides since the lines have dividers etc. For the main entrance, it is kind of a free for all.

A child with parent using the bathroom or a single family member getting coffee would seem fine, but the entire group of 4 seems a bit much. This can be really subjective, but since you asked the question you likely knew the responses…:) They could simply join you in the park when they arrive or get up in time to join you.

Yes. When it is just a parent and a kid ill assume bathroom or something but a whole family or just any other adults very rude. We all wake up early to get our spot on line if others can't do the same they should wait at the back of the line.

I'm not overly concerned with people joining at park entry. We've never done it because we all go over together, but it's just not something I would even notice. But, it takes a lot to ruin my day at Disneyland so maybe I'm more easy going about that stuff than others.

Now, if someone cuts me off in traffic that's entirely different!!!! lol

Does it annoy me? Yes.
Do I see it as cutting? Yup.
Would I say something? Only to whomever I'm with.
Does it matter who's cutting? Wholeheartedly! A parent with 1 child joining another parent with another child would bother me less than, say, a family of 4 joining another family of 4. Then it's poor planning vs a "kid" issue like a potty emergency. I made the effort to get myself up and ready, my husband got himself up and ready, and somehow between the 2 of us, we managed to cajole a 7yo to get up and ready as well, *plus* grabbing a to-go breakfast because we made it a priority to get there early.... And when my grands see it, they call it out loudly. (Then we have a discussion about not everyone's person values being the same as ours.

All that being said, I have a MUCH bigger issue when 1 or 2 people are standing in line at a ride and 6 people join them right before we get on the ride. Had that happen a few months ago-- a middle-age mom waiting in line and then *6* teenagers come walking up, fresh slushies in hand, pushing by us (not even so much as an "excuse me"). That one burned my biscuits a bit as they literally extended our wait by 6 people!

Like others have mentioned, a parent and child bathroom break is one thing but a family of 4 would be considered rude and cutting. I totally understand wanting more time in the morning. My family is going to rope drop mostly against their will. They don't want to get up early. If a family of four snuck in line in front of my husband that early in the morning, someone is going to hear about it. Lol.

Thank you all for your answers, very helpful. If they are running late, we'll just wait for them and all get into line together. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
Another idea for you would be to go into the park and plan to meet the other family in the park later. I do that all the time because I’m an early bird. It’s so easy to do via text.

I go with the majority need to be there. There are frequently times a family is in line, and here comes dad/mom with Starbucks. Almost everyone will not bat an eye with 1 or 2 joining a group. But more than that, it will happen, but people around you who made the effort to be there will consider it cutting.

Thank you all once again for your guidance. I find when travelling it's a good idea to check on what are the usual customs and expectations in order to avoid doing something rude and offensive. This feedback has been very helpful. Will definitely plan for us entering together (they have never been to Disneyland before so I am helping to guide them). Also fully agree about not cutting in line for attractions - something we've never done.

I go with the majority need to be there. There are frequently times a family is in line, and here comes dad/mom with Starbucks. Almost everyone will not bat an eye with 1 or 2 joining a group. But more than that, it will happen, but people around you who made the effort to be there will consider it cutting.
Seems like this goes to the expectations of the people in line. Naturally, you will gauge how many people are ahead of you and you may strategize your actions based on that. Having a bunch of people join a group ahead is different from a single coming up with the coffees. Especially when you multiply it by potentially all the groups ahead of you.

Yes. When it is just a parent and a kid ill assume bathroom or something but a whole family or just any other adults very rude. We all wake up early to get our spot on line if others can't do the same they should wait at the back of the line.
"Any other adults" is a stretch for me.

If I see a grandparent or grandparents joining, I'll typically just assume they're older and slower moving and doing their best, not intentionally trying to be a jerk and skip the line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter