• Penne or Rigatoni maybe

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Pasta formerly known as Prince Spaghetti night

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • At least twice a week!

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
By the Catholic church definition, fish isn't meat. It only counts land animals and birds.
Exactly! This is why most Catholics always ate fish on Fridays during Lent. Back when I was young, Friday was a big fish stick night.

As the parent of a vegetarian, fish is still technically meat.
By the Catholic church definition, fish isn't meat. It only counts land animals and birds.

Not just Catholics, but Anglicans and some others as well. And "meat"-free Fridays were not always limited to Lent. Exactly why fish was exempted is lost to 800 years of history, but here are a lot of theories.

All I know is I'm glad I put all those contradictions behind me. I'm happy with a pepperoni and sausage pizza and a Manhattan on the rocks on Fridays.

Last edited:
BOSTON — Five decades after an iconic commercial made his name famous, Anthony Martignetti has died.

At 12 years old, the Italian-born Martignetti was the star of the memorable ad for Prince Spaghetti. The ad showed him running through the streets of Boston's North End to get home for dinner on Wednesday, "Prince Spaghetti day," while a woman called his name from a window of an apartment building.

The ad was filmed on Labor Day weekend in 1969 and was shown nationally for about 13 years. It also won a Clio Award, a top honor in the advertising field.

~the Patriot Ledger
The commercial was made before my time, but living in Boston and working in the North End, I remember seeing it! My parents would refer to Wednesdays as Prince Spaghetti night! And Fridays as hot dogs and beans (though we didn't eat hot dogs on Fridays) - and no eating meat on Fridays during Lent.

I first heard the commercials on radio while occasionally listening to Boston Bruins games on WBZ (I forget the frequency). The Bruins radio announcer would say “Wednesday is Prince Spaghetti Day” during timeouts or other stoppages in play.

I saw the commercial years later, maybe on youtube. I haven’t seen Prince spaghetti in stores for maybe 30 years.

As for fish on Fridays, my parents continued the tradition long after the restriction was lifted. Even today I often serve seafood or vegetarian on Fridays.
WBZ is 1030 on AM!

The commercial was made before my time, but living in Boston and working in the North End, I remember seeing it! My parents would refer to Wednesdays as Prince Spaghetti night! And Fridays as hot dogs and beans (though we didn't eat hot dogs on Fridays) - and no eating meat on Fridays during Lent.
This☝️. Franks and Beans were frequently on the Friday night menu after Lent in our house sometimes with the addition of brown bread. Good times!

Not just Catholics, but Anglicans and some others as well. And "meat"-free Fridays were not always limited to Lent. Exactly why fish was exempted is lost to 800 years of history, but here are a lot of theories.
My guess is because it's considered pareve (neither milk nor meat) by Jews and that idea continued with the religions that are based on Judaism.

This☝️. Franks and Beans were frequently on the Friday night menu after Lent in our house sometimes with the addition of brown bread. Good times!
Boston brown bread that came in a can! I loved that stuff! I don't know if they even sell it down here in North Carolina--I had a heck of a time finding Fluff!

Boston brown bread that came in a can! I loved that stuff! I don't know if they even sell it down here in North Carolina--I had a heck of a time finding Fluff!
I remember the canned bread - B&M, I think! It was actually good once I finally tried it! Not sure it's still around, I may have to look the next time I'm at Market Basket. And Fluff - with peanut butter on a sandwich or in hot chocolate, can still find that!

The Food Lion's up here on the Eastern Shore of MD carry it, the B&M brand - might be they'd have it in the NC stores as well????

Canned bread? OMG! That's wild.

Turns out it's healthier. It's actually a fad now for carnivores to take one day or more to go meatless.
I wouldn't call it a fad, that implies a short-lived trend. It's more of a healthier lifestyle change. We have meatless meals at least 3 times a week, and fish at least once.

No, "we" all didn't. I've never seen this commercial or heard of this brand. I grew up in New Jersey in the 80s. That commercial is from 1969. I wasn't even born until the late 70s.
From NJ born in 1970... I have never seen that commercial either and have no clue what Prince Spaghetti night is either - lol

Yes, it doesn't count fish as meat for religious purposes.

Well, 4-7 of the apostles were fishermen. :rolleyes1 They probably would have walked out if they were told their business was being cut out one day a week.
restlessvillagers.gif

Camping in upstate NY the local grocer had canned brown bread. We never knew of such a thing and bought it. Never used and it sat in my home cupboard for years. 1 year after the expiration we decided to open… and it was still good!

I remember the canned bread - B&M, I think! It was actually good once I finally tried it! Not sure it's still around, I may have to look the next time I'm at Market Basket. And Fluff - with peanut butter on a sandwich or in hot chocolate, can still find that!
My mom has a couple cans of B&M canned bread in the basement. I keep grabbing one thinking it's baked beans (which B&M also makes, the can looks about the same if you don't look close). We eat baked beans fairly often (with burgers or hot dogs), but I've never actually seen anyone in the house eat canned bread.

Does it still broadcast Bruins games? I probably haven’t listened since the late 70s.
I am not sure! I do remember when I was little my Dad would put the Celtics games on for me at bedtime. The sound of the ball on the court made me sleepy!

I checked Walmart--I typically do a grocery pick-up from there once a week--and you could get brown bread shipped, but not in-store. I'll have to check Food Lion, next time I go--Food Lion and Hannaford (originally based in Maine) have the same parent company, so I can sometimes find New England favorites--Moxie, Polar cola, even bottled Stewart's root beer--at Food Lion.

I forget where I found Fluff--my kids have pretty much outgrown "Fluffernutter Fridays". But Price Chopper (based out of Schenectady, NY) had a generic version that was even better than the original Fluff--it had a more vanilla flavor.

I really miss Market Basket, but that's a whole 'nother issue!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter