• Penne or Rigatoni maybe

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Pasta formerly known as Prince Spaghetti night

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • At least twice a week!

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Does anyone still do this? It is going down at our house tonight.
Grew up watching this commercial. Anthony's mother yelling for him out the window...Anthony! Anthony Martignetti was a real kid who emigrated from Italy and the commercial was filmed in Boston with him running through the streets of the North End to get home for dinner because of course Wednesdays were Prince spaghetti night. Classic commercial! Sadly, Anthony died a few years ago.

Oh yes! Tony Perillo. Still around, right?

Prince Spaghetti commercial stayed the same all through the ‘70s into the early 80s. Thought it played on most of the east coast. I was in Bergen County NJ where it was standard my whole childhood. Many feel good Latter Day Saints commercials back then too.
Born and raised in Bergen County as well!

Remember the commercial very well. Our spaghetti night was Fridays and it wasn’t Prince, if I recall correctly.

Appears to be an east coast brand so never saw the ads in the west. They also make Creamettes pasta, which I do remember being given away on Let's Make a Deal, but that brand wasn't sold in the west coast either.
My mother-in-law had a recipe that uses Creamettes. DH likes to make it sometime, so we stock up on that when in Wisconsin, only place we know to buy Creamettes!

I grew up in Cleveland in the 60's but we weren't allowed to watch much TV. Don't recall Prince.

Except for meatless Fridays we never had specific meals for any days.

My mom used to abstain from meat on Fridays even after the church teachings changed. Some older people had a hard time changing.

Years back, before 1966, meat was not supposed to be eaten by Catholics on any Friday, not just Lenten time.

It’s year round here in Wisconsin!

Turns out it's healthier. It's actually a fad now for carnivores to take one day or more to go meatless.

I first heard the commercials on radio while occasionally listening to Boston Bruins games on WBZ (I forget the frequency). The Bruins radio announcer would say “Wednesday is Prince Spaghetti Day” during timeouts or other stoppages in play.

I saw the commercial years later, maybe on youtube. I haven’t seen Prince spaghetti in stores for maybe 30 years.

As for fish on Fridays, my parents continued the tradition long after the restriction was lifted. Even today I often serve seafood or vegetarian on Fridays.

https://youtu.be/P8ti1hnLiLw

At one time it was the longest running commercial ever. Over 13 years I think? We all grew up with it.

I've heard the commercial before when it was discussed on the radio, but never lived that far north.

Only sold in Connecticut, Illinois, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

In the Philly area, spaghetti night was Sunday. Many woman made their “Sunday gravy.” Slow simmered tomato sauce, usually with meatballs, sausage, short ribs, bracciole, or other meats to improve the flavor.

The whole meal was referred to as just “gravy.”

Never heard of this, or the ad, or even spaghetti for that matter. Ok, J/K on the spaghetti, but the sentiment remains.

I thought this was related to Prince the musician, at first. Prince Spaghetti covered in New Power Generation Sauce and topped with Vanity Parmesan! *chef's kiss*

In the Philly area, spaghetti night was Sunday. Many woman made their “Sunday gravy.” Slow simmered tomato sauce, usually with meatballs, sausage, short ribs, bracciole, or other meats to improve the flavor.

The whole meal was referred to as just “gravy.”
Some restaurants here in NE NJ have Sunday gravy on the menu, sauce vs. gravy is highly debated here.

Turns out it's healthier. It's actually a fad now for carnivores to take one day or more to go meatless.

As the parent of a vegetarian, fish is still technically meat. She won't eat it. Yes, it's still healthier than other meat, but it's not "meatless" :fish:. The term for vegetarians who also eat fish is "pescatarian". I know a number of pescatarians and vegetarians and even one vegan 🥦.

How the heck two carnivores who love "red meat" ended up with a vegetarian (since birth) is still a mystery to me :oops:.

I've heard the commercial before when it was discussed on the radio, but never lived that far north.

Only sold in Connecticut, Illinois, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Now I want to pick up some Prince Spaghetti the next time I go to Chicago!

As the parent of a vegetarian, fish is still technically meat. She won't eat it. Yes, it's still healthier than other meat, but it's not "meatless" :fish:. The term for vegetarians who also eat fish is "pescatarian". I know a number of pescatarians and vegetarians and even one vegan 🥦.

How the heck two carnivores who love "red meat" ended up with a vegetarian (since birth) is still a mystery to me :oops:.
By the Catholic church definition, fish isn't meat. It only counts land animals and birds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter