Is Disney too expensive for us Brits?

We are well in danger of veering into politics here and getting the thread shut :(

It is a ridiculous price at the moment - our late August trip was £8k when booked last April and a precisely identical trip booked today (hotel/flights/tickets/transfers) with the same company is £11714.15 - I can't see any justification for that rise in cost for the same trip from the same operator in the space of 9 months.

I can't see any justification for that rise
I'm not sure it counts as justification, but the vacation industry, including airlines, have taken a big hit the last couple of years AND people haven't been able to spend their holiday money at normal levels, so (in many cases) have a stash.

So the industry is aiming to recoup those losses by raiding our piggy banks.

For the airlines I can understand it ... Disney not so much.

Point that’s missing here is most people - ie US visitors - go to Disney for 3 or 4 days so can stomach the top end prices. 14 or 21 is off the scale. We have a weak currency now and the US is seeing higher inflation. Add that to the pent up demand and prices will rise.

Last edited:
On-site hotels definitely has us priced out. We'll be staying offsite and are about £5k all in including flights, accommodation, car and tickets (universal, seaworld and wdw) for 2 adults for 2 weeks.

Point that’s missing here is most people - ie US visitors - go to Disney for 3 or 4 days so can stomach the top end prices. 14 or 21 is off the scale. We have a weak currency now and the US is seeing higher inflation. Add that to the pent up demand and prices will rise.

and why genie is so much worse for us - could easily add $1000 for a family of four if you’re doing genie and individual LLs. Although as we’re off site I’m fairly resigned to having to queue for RoTR rather than pay.

A slight hit? a full nuclear attack more like
Don't remind me, please :(
I sold a flat in Rome just before Brexit and transfered money to £ to offset the mortgage I have for my house in London, then Brexit happened. Had I waited a few months, I'd have 15k more.

and why genie is so much worse for us - could easily add $1000 for a family of four if you’re doing genie and individual LLs. Although as we’re off site I’m fairly resigned to having to queue for RoTR rather than pay.
Enter the queue at the end of the night, just before park close. I did it twice and waiting 10 and 5 minutes, stated wait time at the entrance was over an hour. But it's a bit risky, if it breaks down you cannot ride, if you plan only one day, then I'd spend the money for the LL, that's the only one I would have paid for an individual LL, would have not been possible to ride it another way.

Enter the queue at the end of the night, just before park close. I did it twice and waiting 10 and 5 minutes, stated wait time at the entrance was over an hour. But it's a bit risky, if it breaks down you cannot ride, if you plan only one day, then I'd spend the money for the LL, that's the only one I would have paid for an individual LL, would have not been possible to ride it another way.

We've got 3 HS reservations over the 2 weeks. It's possible one day I'll just go on my own while my wife and daughter have some pool time just specifically do to Rise as there's no way they'd wait 1.5-2 hours for it. Because we're off site it seems unlikely I'll even get the chance to pay for the LL.

We've got 3 HS reservations over the 2 weeks. It's possible one day I'll just go on my own while my wife and daughter have some pool time just specifically do to Rise as there's no way they'd wait 1.5-2 hours for it. Because we're off site it seems unlikely I'll even get the chance to pay for the LL.
You have plenty of attempts, then. Try to enter the queue just before close the first 2 times and if everything fails, get in standby during the day the third one. By August Fantasmic and the projection show should be back, which means more people drawn away from attactions. Riding last at night might will even better.
RotR is amazing, but I wouldn't wait 2 hours for it. I cannot think any attraction that is really worth 2 hours. Lately LL started to sell out later and later, edging to park opening. You might get the chance. Good luck!

Out of interest, I was looking up past ticket prices that I've paid:

2014: 14-day for 7: £272
2018: 14-day for 7: £399
2019: 14-day for 7: £399

Going forward:

2022: 14-day for 7: £586 (£489 plus £98 for Genie+, the facilities of which were included before, although it's more restrictive now and you might have to pay even more for select FPs.)
These are a fraction of the price our US colleagues pay for tickets - I think we are finding the saving compared to US guests is reducing. Disney has neve been cheap, the low cost options are making it less affordable at the budget end and the increasing "deluxe" options are making it more expensive.

I just did a bit of checking on prices for our trips in 2017 and 2018 and compared them to the prices for the same trip in 2022.

Flights (Dublin to Orlando via connection in US):
2017 - £2497.20
2018 - £2503.70
2022 - £2550.20

Disney Moderate Hotel (6 nights in one room):
2017 - £930
2018 - £1152
2022 - £1448.50

Disney Park tickets (4 * 14-day):
2017 - £1436
2018 - £1596
2022 - £2347.44 (including Genie+)

Universal (2 nights in hotel, 2 day, 2 park park-to-park tickets for 4)
2017 - $2382.82
2018 - $2247.45
2022 - $2252.24

Universal is actually cheaper for the hotel & park tickets in 2022 than it was in 2017. DIsney hotel and park tickets are 60% more expensive in 2022 compared to 2017, and they no longer include the QDP, so there would be that additional expense as well.

It's all very well blaming Brexit and the pandemic and currency fluctuations, but the flights aren't showing the same increases, and Universal aren't showing the same increases.

My kids are 15 and 11 when we take the trip this year. I suspect this will be our last ever Disney trip.

“It's all very well blaming Brexit and the pandemic and currency fluctuations, but the flights aren't showing the same increases, and Universal aren't showing the same increases.”

I bought my flights, Virgin Direct from Manchester, Economy Delight, in October 2019 for August 2020 for my family of 4, £4,125.

I changed them for an open ended ticket after COVID hit and rescheduled them recently to the same time this year at no extra cost.

Those exact same dates to book today would be £7,700.

That’s a serious hike.

I just did a bit of checking on prices for our trips in 2017 and 2018 and compared them to the prices for the same trip in 2022.

Flights (Dublin to Orlando via connection in US):
2017 - £2497.20
2018 - £2503.70
2022 - £2550.20

Disney Moderate Hotel (6 nights in one room):
2017 - £930
2018 - £1152
2022 - £1448.50

Disney Park tickets (4 * 14-day):
2017 - £1436
2018 - £1596
2022 - £2347.44 (including Genie+)

Universal (2 nights in hotel, 2 day, 2 park park-to-park tickets for 4)
2017 - $2382.82
2018 - $2247.45
2022 - $2252.24

Universal is actually cheaper for the hotel & park tickets in 2022 than it was in 2017. DIsney hotel and park tickets are 60% more expensive in 2022 compared to 2017, and they no longer include the QDP, so there would be that additional expense as well.

It's all very well blaming Brexit and the pandemic and currency fluctuations, but the flights aren't showing the same increases, and Universal aren't showing the same increases.

My kids are 15 and 11 when we take the trip this year. I suspect this will be our last ever Disney trip.
I don't understand your Universal pricing, we stayed in Hard Rock as family of 4 for 2 nights including tickets and paid under $1,500 in mid August 2017 or should I say £1.1k which is now £1.8k for same

Last edited:
When I booked a two week trip to Disney World 2 years ago (unfortunately cancelled due to covid) I compared the US and UK prices and it was nearly $3k cheaper booking via the UK.

But I’m now looking at another 2 week trip in May this year, and the US and UK prices are basically the same.

Yeah I think we were getting great deals compared to US prices and now the issue is at least for this year we aren't getting those deals. We've accepted we will have to pay out more this year and then see where we end up in the future. I do think at least for 22 the bargain deals UK used to get are unlikely but maybe they will come back cheaper

Yeah I think we were getting great deals compared to US prices and now the issue is at least for this year we aren't getting those deals. We've accepted we will have to pay out more this year and then see where we end up in the future. I do think at least for 22 the bargain deals UK used to get are unlikely but maybe they will come back cheaper
It's flipped that much that now if you were to spend a week in Disney World, it's not worth buying the 7 day Magic Ticket. They use their Disney magic to trick us into thinking it is 14 days for the price of 7, but in reality it's 14 days for the price of 14 and the 7 day ticket is 7 days for the price of 14.

I don't understand your Universal pricing, we stayed in Hard Rock as family of 4 for 2 nights including tickets and paid under $1,500 in mid August 2017 or should I say £1.1k which is now £1.8k for same
2017 was Portafino Bay. 2018 was Royal Pacific. 2022 is Portafino Bay again. The prices are in dollars because I booked through the US site. I haven't done any currency conversions and am just going off the prices quoted in the invoices.

I've been pricing up trips and the average of all the trips to disney for 14 nights with tickets (with virgin).. By the time I'd add on airport parking, transfers etc. + spending money we are at about 10% of our household income which seems crazy. Am I the only one feeling this tight?

This is without adding genie+, LL etc

We still hit 5 figure costs in 2013 and 16 however they were 3/4 week trips doing all-sorts including parks, road trips and cruises. I use 100% of my income for travel. We live very frugally otherwise and my partners income pays for our living / savings.

I could afford it but honestly it doesn't feel worth it anymore. I darent even price up any Disney stuff for our family of 5. No way am I willing to spend 5 figures just to do Disney for 7 or 14 nights. The Disney park ticket prices are just too much now.

I guess it's a very personal question and situation. Prices have gone up, but this isn't confined to Disney. e.g. the price of cruises has increased significantly. Holidaying right now is just more expensive because the world is still in turmoil, with supply chains and general international movement of anything is still quite fragile. It's more a question of "are two week holidays to expensive destinations fair value right now". Disney has always been very expensive when compared to, for example, a two week stay in a villa in Spain. Both of those types of holidays have risen in price, but one is considerably more affordable (as has always been the case!).

Personally, if I did not have DVC, then I highly doubt I would continue with an annual vacation to Disney. But this is less about the affordability, and more about the perceived value. In my view, the price has risen and the experience has worsened. That's a fairly tough pill to swallow. For example, on my last trip in 2019, I felt that my experience in most Disney signature restaurants was poor. The food was generally "just okay", the service in general was lousy (every server seemed to have just far too many tables), but meals were priced similarly to one or even two Michelin stared restaurants, when really it just felt like you were treated like cattle. And that really does seem to be the theme with Disney right now - you are just cattle to be herded around by Disney Genie. It's a lot of money to pay for that experience.

That all being said, things tend to go full circle. The magic will be back, at some point.

I understand prices have had to increase due to covid but I would bet anything Disney do not lower the price of park tickets if covid magically vanishes !!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter