Is Disney switching to coke freestyle machines at the resorts?

I would actually like if they put one or two free style machines at each building where the vending machines usually are. That would make us more likely to buy a refillable mug every single trip. We usually grab a bottle of something to put in the room and since we are up late the vending machine is really the only option that is close. When we were at Poly and were the first room outside the GCH we bought the mug instead of doing vending machine drinks because it was so fast to pop into Captain Cooks.

Imagine if the had them close at places like Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, or Port Orleans?

I would actually like if they put one or two free style machines at each building where the vending machines usually are. That would make us more likely to buy a refillable mug every single trip. We usually grab a bottle of something to put in the room and since we are up late the vending machine is really the only option that is close. When we were at Poly and were the first room outside the GCH we bought the mug instead of doing vending machine drinks because it was so fast to pop into Captain Cooks.

Imagine if the had them close at places like Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, or Port Orleans?

I really like this idea :).

Unfortunately, it'll never happen. The vending machines generate profits for Disney - the Freesytle machines are an expense and Disney isn't likely to sell enough additional mugs to cover it (rather, it'll primairly be used by people with incumbent mugs). Additionally, Disney would have to change the 2-minute waiting period to something like 20-minutes, otherwise people would be using the mug to refill water bottles, etc. in their rooms.

I really like this idea :).

Unfortunately, it'll never happen. The vending machines generate profits for Disney - the Freesytle machines are an expense and Disney isn't likely to sell enough additional mugs to cover it (rather, it'll primairly be used by people with incumbent mugs). Additionally, Disney would have to change the 2-minute waiting period to something like 20-minutes, otherwise people would be using the mug to refill water bottles, etc. in their rooms.

True. I forget they probably make a bunch more off of the vending then they would off of mugs.

How about having them in the parks? They were all over the place at Universal last year and we never had to wait in line. I didn't experience any weird tasting drinks either.

But there is no point without refillable mugs in the parks. Only a few restaurants have self serve drinks so I doubt we'll see any in the parks.

Agree but also agree with PP, won't happen. Profits and the manpower to clean the mess they make. Maybe putting them by the pools would be a nice plus.

Pool would be a good settle. Especially at places where it feels wrong to go inside while soaking wet for a refill on a pool day.

Completely agree :thumbsup2 I hate when all these soaking wet kids in swimsuits and no shoes are running around food court. And at hotels with larger "secondary" pools like POP Century, AoA, Polynesian, DVC they would be nice.

That would be pretty awesome - I want fruit flavors with my Coke Zero! :rotfl2:
But seriously, that would be great!

I HOPE NOT. With the old style several can get drinks at once. with freestyle one person..and I also agree the flavor is weird..cherry coke has syrup for cherry instead of the bottled variety..tastes off to me.

But there is no point without refillable mugs in the parks. Only a few restaurants have self serve drinks so I doubt we'll see any in the parks.

Agree but also agree with PP, won't happen. Profits and the manpower to clean the mess they make. Maybe putting them by the pools would be a nice plus.
Put them in the parks and sell a mug with a timer on it. That's what Uni does and we liked it.

Put them in the parks and sell a mug with a timer on it. That's what Uni does and we liked it.

They actually did try something like this many years ago when AK opened. Think I still have the mug.

Our last trip to Universal (May) we saw the machines, lines waiting to use and many of them broken.

I also don't want to see all those machines sitting around the parks, and they took up space and created lines inside the restaurant where we ate (and a sticky floor).

I don't see Disney going this route in the parks, but money will be a driving force.

They actually did try something like this many years ago when AK opened. Think I still have the mug.

Our last trip to Universal (May) we saw the machines, lines waiting to use and many of them broken.

I also don't want to see all those machines sitting around the parks, and they took up space and created lines inside the restaurant where we ate (and a sticky floor).

I don't see Disney going this route in the parks, but money will be a driving force.
We were there in early October and I think we waited for all of 1 minute for a drink station once.

This is the best news, IMO. I don't drink, smoke or chew (or run with women who do, but that's another story), yet, I will still die at 50 because of all the artificial sugar I drink. Make it happen, Disney!

To all those who think it tastes funny, I don't know what to say. I usually get Sprite Zero + flavor, because I find it to be the most neutral platform for showcasing the flavor I've chosen, and I've never noticed cross-contamination. Having said that, my colleague says he doesn't drink a coke from one of these unless they run the fountain to clear it so. . .Maybe my palate isn't that refined? Or maybe I go to places that clean it more regularly? Don't know.

They might slow things down. Have to ponder that one.

Also, I'd expect Mr. Pibb, because it is owned by Coke straight up.

I saw on a facebook group that there were recently installed Coke freestyle machines at POFQ. Is Disney switching to coke freestyle machines at the resorts?

Those are horrible. Look cool, but choose coke and it taste like 2 or 3 drinks combined. Huge mistake.

I'm not necessarily against these machines as they often offer caffeine free beverages as an option for consumers. To me, it's worth the opportunity to grab a late night soda and not stay up half the night after drinking it!

God I hope not. Coke out of the free style machine does not taste like classic coke out of a regular fountain!! The third party company who runs our cast dinning locations backstage has freestyle machines as well as the speedway gas stations on property and they are just God awful.

Totally off-topic, but has anyone ever noticed that Dr. Pepper is sometimes a coke product and sometimes a Pepsi product?

Ps if you want a real rush, come down to Texas or order you some Dublin Dr. Pepper!!!!
Every freestyle machine I've used (and we have them all over the place since we're in Atlanta) has had Dr. Pepper and Diet Dr. Pepper! My favorite diet drink is cherry vanilla Diet Dr. Pepper...YUM!

Dr Pepper is owned by the Dr Pepper/Snapple group. They also make and bottle 7Up, A&W, Sunkist and other sodas. The Dr Pepper name and their other brands can be distributed by either coke or Pepsi. What the end customer wants the end customer can get. Dr Pepper usually costs more than standard coke or Pepsi products.

Mr Pibb is Coca Colas "version" of Dr Pepper. The favors are not the same but are close.

The freestyle machines already on Disney property only have Mr Pibb and not Dr Pepper due to Coca Colas sponsorship. This has been seen at the chase lounge freestyle machines, speedway gas stations, and even the ones the third party cast dining has for us backstage.

Dr Pepper is owned by the Dr Pepper/Snapple group. They also make and bottle 7Up, A&W, Sunkist and other sodas. The Dr Pepper name and their other brands can be distributed by either coke or Pepsi. What the end customer wants the end customer can get. Dr Pepper usually costs more than standard coke or Pepsi products.

Mr Pibb is Coca Colas "version" of Dr Pepper. The favors are not the same but are close.

The freestyle machines already on Disney property only have Mr Pibb and not Dr Pepper due to Coca Colas sponsorship. This has been seen at the chase lounge freestyle machines, speedway gas stations, and even the ones the third party cast dining has for us backstage.

That is so interesting because I have NEVER seen Mr. Pibb in a freestyle machine...

That is so interesting because I have NEVER seen Mr. Pibb in a freestyle machine...
Well that does depend on your area. It's a distributing thing. Dr. Pepper and Diet Dr. Pepper will be served instead of Pibb Xtra and Pibb Zero in areas where Dr. Pepper is distributed by Coca-Cola bottlers (from Coca-Cola Freestyle wiki page also is said on Pibb Xtra's wiki page).

ETA: What's interesting is in my area we have a Coca-Cola bottling plant but it's actually an independent distributor of Coca-Cola products (under the name Coca-Cola Bottling Co Consolidated). Their website reads "The Coca-Cola Company develops the soft drink products, produces the advertising and programs to support those products and sells syrup concentrate to CCBCC and other bottlers. As a bottling company, we combine the concentrate with other ingredients to manufacture and package our refreshing beverages. We then use the extensive CCBCC sales and delivery force to market and distribute the soft drinks to retail customers and consumers."

They do distribute Dr. Pepper and I'm assuming because Dr. Pepper and Pibb Xtra are both common in my area that either places (though places often have one or the other) are getting their stuff from other areas or they can function differently because they are an independent bottler. I'm fairly certain though that our free style machines have both Dr. Pepper and Pibb Xtra but I would have to check the next time I go to a place that has one. I do know our grocery stores including walmart and such have both.

Last edited:
As nice as the Freestyle machines are; they absolutely wouldn't work at Disney with the sheer volume of people using them.

Most of the time they aren't very responsive, that slows down the process.

So many choices that slows down the process.

It might work somewhere like the Chase Lounge in Epcot where there is a limited number of people there, but if you put say 4-5 of these things inside the food court at any of the value resorts it would take forever.

Between the little kids who would want to try every flavor combo, and the seniors who aren't technology adept and easily confused it would be a nightmare.

They work fine at Universal.

I went in June - no broken machines and no long lines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter