• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is anyone going to miss the Universe of Energy?

I love Ellen and Bill Nye, and the UOE music is one of my favorite parks tunes. I'll miss it a lot, oddly - it was one of the most quotable attractions for me and my family: Stupid Judy, the ding dang, you're late - where have you been, no eating, drinking, smoking, or flash photography in my dream... I'm sad I wasn't able to head out and see it one last time, but I'm sure I'll enjoy whatever replaces it.

Yes, I will miss it. I am a 90s baby, and for me many of the attractions I grew up with as a kid are beginning to go. This is a sad realization, but I am keeping my chin up. Sure, I never saw Horizons, but my parents saw my excitement as we rode Test Track. I look forward to the day my children have their own experience with whatever new attractions/shows Disney comes up with for a new generation. I am hopeful something good is in the works for Disney. In the meantime, the memories Ellen's Energy Adventure, Tarzan Rocks, Food Rocks, and many more will stay with me.

After reading this whole thread, I'm in the group that thinks this shouldn't be leaving if they have abandoned buildings they could use to expand instead of removing a functioning ride. I guess if its just a numbers game and somehow you have a "profit" that UoE is making vs. the cost of running it, then you probably would have to get rid of it, but its part of an entire park. Oh, and turn off the lights in Cranium Command to save yourself some money, doofs!

It remains to be seen what they do with Guardians of the Galaxy. Their official communication so far has indicated that they intended to stay true to the original theme of Epcot. If that is the case, and they use Guardians as a more modern way to present the Energy issues that we face, then I will be all for it, and won't really miss Ellen, and Bill Nye all that much, though I will miss the Dinosaurs.

If, on the other hand, the message of energy conservation, and use of renewable sources, leaves with Bill and Ellen, then I will indeed miss the ride greatly.
THIS for me too! I wish they would leave EPCOT as an innovative, educational theme park rather than replace the attractions with the movie character themed ones that would be great in a different park. There is so much amazing technology out there, not to mention the things "they're" working on that we haven't heard about yet. Oh well....my age is showing. :)

THIS for me too! I wish they would leave EPCOT as an innovative, educational theme park rather than replace the attractions with the movie character themed ones that would be great in a different park. There is so much amazing technology out there, not to mention the things "they're" working on that we haven't heard about yet. Oh well....my age is showing. :)

I don't necessarily mind them injecting movie IP into Epcot, however I do want them to keep the semi-educational style. The GotG ride COULD be an opportunity to inject some real-world knowledge about space travel. I don't know that it will, but it certainly could. Of course, we already have Mission:SPACE for that. I had thought TRON would work really well there and maybe have a "History of Computers" post-show incorporated into it. I guess we'll just have to see what they do with it.

I'm not against movie characters. They promote Disney, which in the long run is good for us. They are also a great way to engage kids, and get them interested in the subject matter.

I don't necessarily mind them injecting movie IP into Epcot, however I do want them to keep the semi-educational style. The GotG ride COULD be an opportunity to inject some real-world knowledge about space travel. I don't know that it will, but it certainly could. Of course, we already have Mission:SPACE for that. I had thought TRON would work really well there and maybe have a "History of Computers" post-show incorporated into it. I guess we'll just have to see what they do with it.

Yup, exactly. If they keep that technology and edutainment oriented focus in Future World, I will be a happy guy, and not at all bothered by them introducing IP into the park.

I'll totally miss UOE it was always a highlight for my family and I. Bill Nye was my dude as a kid growing up in the 90's and it was the last bit of Epcot (besides Spaceship Earth) that I still connected to the WDW trips I went on as a kid. And GMR was and will always be my absolute favorite ride of everything. I understand the need for change, and I am excited for new things to come but definitely sad, and a will miss both rides terribly!

I like the current Ellen iteration of the attraction and I even enjoyed the original to some degree, but I don't think I'll miss it when the new attraction opens. It will likely be far & away the best thing that has ever been in that part of the park.

My son and I loved Maelstrom. Being sick to death of Frozen, he's especially peeved that Maelstrom was replaced by a Frozen ride. I'm still kicking myself for not buying one of those limited edition Maelstrom shirts the Disney Store was selling a few months before the closure was announced.
Right, this was also a truly "non-Epcot" change. Arendelle is not Norway, it's just somewhat based off old Norway

I'll miss it, but I think this is the EPCOT we can expect from now on. I really miss the educational-entertainment that is quickly falling by the side of the road to be replaced with movie tie-ins. But what do you do with a place called Future World when the future is becoming outdated every six months now. In 1981 all the pavilions were totally cutting-edge, but now they can't get a pavilion built before it's tech is already yesterday's tech.
It makes me sad from a nostalgic standpoint, but at least they are trying to keep the park alive and vital.

Of course being 35 years old doesn't mean that an attraction is not enjoyable anymore. Some of them are far older and still well-loved, but this is a numbers game. When was the last time UoE had any kind of line for it? How many people a day ride it compared to it's capacity? Honestly, the majority of people just aren't that engaged with it. Everything is somebody's favorite, however not everything can stick around forever. I liked UoE just fine, though I don't consider it an untouchable classic.
I was surprised how much empty seating there was when we went recently, after the closing announcement

No one from our family will miss it. Can't even remember the last time we did it... maybe 8yrs ago...

I'll miss it because it is very relaxing and cool. Also, because one of the hosts is the older version of Ellen.

I rode it today and probably 3 times in the last year.Since I started hearing rumblings of its demise I've ridden it more times this year than in the last 10 years combined.I like Ellen and Bill Nye but the attraction is just old and tired.I've seen like 30 minutes of the first GotG movie so I'm no fan of that movie but I'm very excited to be getting a new addition to replace this attraction that I just ignored for years and these last couple of rides made me realize why I was skipping it for all those years.

We will most definitely miss it. I loved the whole thing. It's a bummer that we will miss seeing its last showing by just two days. :(

Even though I love Ellen, I've never cared for UoE in any of its forms. I won't miss it. But .. I'm not happy about what's replacing it either. Not into GotG. So ... while I won't miss UoE at all, I wish something else was going in there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter