Is anyone getting as turned off as I am?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KodiakKort

Earning My Ears
Just for some background....
I live in Florida and have been going to Disney for over 40 years.
Recently, though, I've noticed changes that are turning me off to want to visit, or spend my money there.
For example: * the fastpass+ thing and having to plan before you go.
* ending the American Adventure Fife and Drum Corp. (and not replacing it with any other patriotic program)
* people reserving throwaway campsites at Fort Wilderness just to get their magic bands
*......and don't get me started on those!
* and now we're gonna have to start paying between 10 and 20 dollars just to park at Downtown Disney.
* oh, and Starbucks

The list goes on, but these are just a few at the tip of my fingers.
Sorry. Had to vent.

Nope, not alone. I am done with Disney and am choosing to spend my vacation time and money elsewhere. I dislike that I really have to plan ahead just to visit for a day, the food is too expensive for what you get and there's really nothing new that excites me enough to go anymore. Just not worth it.

Nope. We've been going to Disney World more because of the changes. We love FP+, love the convenience of the Magic Bands, VERY happy Starbucks is in the parks now, love some of the new updates, couldn't care less about the performers at Epcot. Overall, we're very happy and leaving to go back for our 6th time in just over a year in two days!

Really the only thing that irks me about Disney is how streamlined the characters have become. When we went in 2000, Maleficent showed up at 1900 Park Fare for breakfast. The Evil Queen in hag form was just hanging out in front of MK for a meet and greet. All seven dwarves plus Snow White were at Germany in Epcot. I could go on and on.,.. There were just so many opportunities to meet neat and rare characters. They've taken all of that away, and now you have to pay $99 on top of a MNSSHP ticket to see Maleficent. Boo!

and now you have to pay $99 on top of a MNSSHP ticket to see Maleficent. Boo!

WHAT?

I dont have any little kids and the 2 that I do have are boys so I never had to do the princess/meet and greets/etc kind of stuff. My boys are all about the rides. This is the first I've heard of the Maleficent thing (due to the movie no doubt) but man, that is down right ridiculous.

To the OP, Im with you. Booking a theme park RIDE 2 months in advance is absurd. All it does is create more chaos and frenzy because peoples plans change then they cancel and rebook, stress, etc. Its stupid the way Disney has it set up. I am taking one last trip next month with my boys.

We have never been to Universal, after our trip to Disney next month - can't think of a better time to start visiting Universal :-)

And the Starbucks? Don't even get me started.

Recently, though, I've noticed changes that are turning me off to want to visit, or spend my money there.
* ending the American Adventure Fife and Drum Corp. (and not replacing it with any other patriotic program)
* people reserving throwaway campsites at Fort Wilderness just to get their magic bands
* and now we're gonna have to start paying between 10 and 20 dollars just to park at Downtown Disney.
* oh, and Starbucks

Sorry. Had to vent.

Nope you are not alone.

I too have been going to Disney for a long time.

1). Not much for FP+. Tried it not for me
2). Tired of all the extras Disney keeps pushing, Extra parties, dessert parties.
3). WARY of Magic Bands due to Sensitive skin. Let's just say it's just not wise to put a piece of plastic on my wrist during a hot day.
4). I am on the fence about the performers. Trying to judge performers, I just don't think the new ones translate well on page. I will miss the Fife and Drum Corp, Come on that's heritage.

I am going to give Universal a try on my next trip.:thumbsup2 on

Just for some background.... I live in Florida and have been going to Disney for over 40 years. Recently, though, I've noticed changes that are turning me off to want to visit, or spend my money there. For example: * the fastpass+ thing and having to plan before you go. * ending the American Adventure Fife and Drum Corp. (and not replacing it with any other patriotic program) * people reserving throwaway campsites at Fort Wilderness just to get their magic bands *......and don't get me started on those! * and now we're gonna have to start paying between 10 and 20 dollars just to park at Downtown Disney. * oh, and Starbucks The list goes on, but these are just a few at the tip of my fingers. Sorry. Had to vent.

I agree with some of your points, but some I disagree with.

We don't live in FL and as the kids have grown, don't enjoy waking at the crack of dawn for RD. FP+ is the perfect solution for us now. We can sleep in and still ride the biggies.

I'm ok with Starbucks. I had more of an issue back when Restaurantsaurus was a McDonalds :).

Canceling Epcot entertainment is a huge negative. The live entertainment is one of the highlights of Epcot, IMO, so this is an issue.

I'm good with the MBs, but what I'm not good with is people abusing a system. And that's what happens when you don't crack down on them. But then when Disney does crack down (paying for DTD, for example) people complain about that.

In the end, it's not so much Disney that is ruining Disney as it is the current society who thinks they are entitled and deserve and don't want to follow rules. And that really bothers me :(.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

WHAT?

I dont have any little kids and the 2 that I do have are boys so I never had to do the princess/meet and greets/etc kind of stuff. My boys are all about the rides. This is the first I've heard of the Maleficent thing (due to the movie no doubt) but man, that is down right ridiculous.

To the OP, Im with you. Booking a theme park RIDE 2 months in advance is absurd. All it does is create more chaos and frenzy because peoples plans change then they cancel and rebook, stress, etc. Its stupid the way Disney has it set up. I am taking one last trip next month with my boys.

We have never been to Universal, after our trip to Disney next month - can't think of a better time to start visiting Universal :-)

And the Starbucks? Don't even get me started.

I don't think it's so much about the movie since she's not even appearing at the dessert party as that version of Maleficent. And Evil Queen is also now exclusive to the "paid event within a paid event".

Nope. We've been going to Disney World more because of the changes. We love FP+, love the convenience of the Magic Bands, VERY happy Starbucks is in the parks now, love some of the new updates, couldn't care less about the performers at Epcot. Overall, we're very happy and leaving to go back for our 6th time in just over a year in two days!

Yep, that's us, too. We love the changes!

I'm somewhere in the middle. I love Disney and Universal but I'm not loving fastpass +.

I'm not bothered by Starbucks because I don't drink coffee.

I agree totally about the Villain soiree thing - $99 is extortionate and I also agree about the fife and drum corp being discontinued - that whole area of EPCOT needs to retain the patriotic elements - and if they EVER mess with the Voices of Liberty I'm not going to be impressed.

One thing I would like to say is PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE extend the Frozen Summer Fun stuff at Hollywood Studios - at the moment it ends 2 days before I get there - sigh :-(

* oh, and Starbucks

Sorry. Had to vent.

Kind of. We've been AP holders since 2006, and gone two-five times a year since 2005. Due to a roof and a son's wedding we skipped 2013 so this was our first FP+ trip that wasn't during the test. We hated it. If we hadn't already had our trip for December booked I probably would not have gotten the APs again when we went in August. I've always been a planner but having to know six months ahead where and what time I want to eat was bad enough. Now I am supposed to plan two months ahead not only what park I'm going to but where I will be at a specific moment in the day. I couldn't even get 7DMT sixty days out in August (last week in August, crowds were very low) so I can't imagine getting it 30 days out on the next trip will be any better. Ugh. Makes the vacation more like working...

I know a lot of people love FP+ but we aren't among them. I loved the old fastpass where everyone was on equal footing. This not so much. Our next trip we're trying staying offsite for the first time. If we don't like that better than we did on our August trip onsite, then come April our spring vacation will be somewhere else. Maybe just go sit our tails on a beach for 10 days instead of running all over WDW and actually relax a bit.

Nope. Disney is still the best value for my family vacation. I don't have a problem with change as change is the only way to progress. Disney may make mistakes along the way with FP+ but I believe their goal is to ultimately make the guests stay more rewarding so that they will have repeat customers. In my opinion FP+ is an answer to the rope drop running of the bulls to get to TSMM and other headliners. They may not have it perfect but their goal is to make guests come back not drive them away.

As the OP is a local I'm sure paying for parking is an issue but the majority of the guests don't drive so parking is not an issue. There is an alternative by using Disney Transportation for free.

I've heard many posters complain that Disney's goal will be to charge for FP+ add ons but then other people post that they spend money on a room or campsite that they will never use just to get FP+ access. I don't see how Disney can police this as long as the person pays their bill.

* oh, and Starbucks

Sorry. Had to vent.

Not at all, we are looking forward to our next trip!

We love the FP+ system, as we are early risers, we can do things in the morning SB and do them again later using our FP+ or use our FP at a different park.

While I'm sorry people are upset, not too concerned about the EP Fife and Drum, not something we went to.

Doesn't it cost the same to buy the MB's as to get a throwaway? Unless Disney is going to stop this, why worry?

If DTD has paid parking, so what? Everywhere else does!

Don't really care about Starbucks, never been there and not planning on going, whether they are in Disney or not.

* oh, and Starbucks

Sorry. Had to vent.

Could you point me to a reliable source that says you will have to pay to park at DTD? I have not seen anything like that, unless you are referring to valet parking.

* oh, and Starbucks

Sorry. Had to vent.

I'll tell you what's been annoying me, and that's people hoarding ADRs. I get why they're doing it- you have to schedule them so far in advance that you may not necessarily have your plans set in stone. On the other hand though, you've got multiple reservations that other people want and can't get that you're not going to use. I'm subscribed to one of the ADR cancellation threads (trying to get BOG), and someone the other day cancelled no less than 3 different morning ADRs for one of the character meals- that were all scheduled on the same day but at different times. That's ridiculous.

* oh, and Starbucks

Sorry. Had to vent.

I agree with you on every one of your points as a local. For us it can be a very different experience not sure honestly how I would feel if I still came to florida and vacationed at WDW.

For now, there will be no APs. I will continue to do hard ticket parties and will get my Disney fix at character meals that are not in parks. I'll go to Fort Wilderness to have a relaxing day and meet friends for breakfast or lunch.

Used to love going to DTD but paying for parking ( not a shock if that turns out to be true ) will take that off of our table too.

I'll tell you what's been annoying me, and that's people hoarding ADRs. I get why they're doing it- you have to schedule them so far in advance that you may not necessarily have your plans set in stone. On the other hand though, you've got multiple reservations that other people want and can't get that you're not going to use. I'm subscribed to one of the ADR cancellation threads (trying to get BOG), and someone the other day cancelled no less than 3 different morning ADRs for one of the character meals- that were all scheduled on the same day but at different times. That's ridiculous.

That's only likely to get worse under FP+. When you schedule BOG you don't know yet if you will get the FPs you want the same day. So I'm sure some are hedging their bets and covering more than one day if they can.

Same here. Except we're leaving for our next trip in 30 days. :)

I don't think FP+ is perfect, and many of their IT issues continue, but overall there's no way we're less happy with Disney now than we were say 10yrs ago.

I've been a long time fan of Disney World with over 40 trips across 30 years and we have lived in the Midwest the whole time. We have flown there and now we drive more and do road trips.

We were at Disney World when they first started fastpass plus and we hated it. We absolutely loved the legacy fastpass. Disney is using Magic Band to track every step you take. I'm sure the info they are accumulating will be used against us all.

Seeing the live entertainment diminishing through the years has made me sad. Good performers are being replaced by mediocre performers or not at all.

Even the cleanliness of the restrooms have gone downhill.

Anyway, we have been spending more time at Dollywood in Pigeon Forge and Silver Dollar City in Branson, now. Both offer Festivals which include many performers. Some shows are mediocre, but some are actually better than Disney. Then, when you compare the costs between Disney and these parks, I've become a convert. An annual pass at Dollywood runs about what one park day in Disney costs. Dollywood has the added advantage of being close to the Smoky Mountains.

For us, driving to these other parks takes us about one-third of going to Disney. This gives us more time on vacation and saves money on gasoline and wear and tear on the car. Yes, you can fly to Disney, but the cost adds up there.

We've been enjoying the theater and museums in the Midwest more and not going to Disney World.

I can't stand the waiting time involved with Disney rides. Even if you get fastpass plus it's not always that fast like with Soarin' and Toy Story Mania.

I won't say I won't go back to Disney World, but I would say once very 5 years will be enough for me.

Could you point me to a reliable source that says you will have to pay to park at DTD? I have not seen anything like that, unless you are referring to valet parking.

I just saw something on Twitter (which may or may not be accurate) that said Valet pricing is now based on length of stay: 0-2 hours: $10; 2-3 hours: $15; 3+ hours: $20. Maybe that's what PP was referring to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter