Is anyone getting as turned off as I am?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didnt find that to be the case. There were a few times when one of the guests in our party had issues. It delayed us at the gate for about an addition 1 minute.
Another issue was when I had gone to a kiosk to delete a ride and add another. The CM was kind enough to help me thru the screens and actually was able to get us earlier times on 2 of our 3 choices-same day.
After making those changes, we had another issue actually using the choices as for some reason they did not save. We were delayed at the entry of the rie for an additional mm...30 seconds as they let us right thru even though the computer wasnt recognizing our passes.
It really isnt horrible. The app was a little slower than I had imagined..but really, it wasnt much of a problem at all. I was a die hard paper fast passer as I LOVED to hand them out to kids who were strangers. But, tbh..I loved the bands. Even when there were issues, CM's very cordially made it right without the slightest hint of annoyance.:wizard:
Keep your head, wait for it to be a disaster-then you can complain. But until then..its DISNEY MAN!! Have FUN!!

Here is the deal, I don't think people on the "I love FP+" side are getting that it isn't totally about glitches and hiccups. That isn't what people are rallying against. When we were there in March our MB's worked flawlessly. I never had an issue with my 3 fastpasses, they worked every time. It was easy to rearrange them, I never had a problem with the app, I changed fastpass times when I needed to adjust our schedule.

Guess what? I still hate FP+, because it greatly diminished our park experience by limiting me to 3 per day at locked in times, even if those times were of my choosing. Because the standby lines were awful over spring break, we literally went to the park and did 1 of 3, sat around until the next window opened, bored, and then did our 2nd. Sat around, bored, then did our 3rd, and then left. Bored.

Here is the deal, I don't think people on the "I love FP+" side are getting that it isn't totally about glitches and hiccups. That isn't what people are rallying against. When we were there in March our MB's worked flawlessly. I never had an issue with my 3 fastpasses, they worked every time. It was easy to rearrange them, I never had a problem with the app, I changed fastpass times when I needed to adjust our schedule.

Guess what? I still hate FP+, because it greatly diminished our park experience by limiting me to 3 per day at locked in times, even if those times were of my choosing. Because the standby lines were awful over spring break, we literally went to the park and did 1 of 3, sat around until the next window opened, bored, and then did our 2nd. Sat around, bored, then did our 3rd, and then left. Bored.

Yeah, I'm with you on that. The IT issues would drive me nuts. But even if it worked flawlessly I would still not be a fan.

Did you never go to the parks before FP? Just curious.

Yes, I first went to Disneyland as a child in the 70s, with my parents. Back then, Disneyland was a once a year special event. We would go from rope drop to closing, and try to ride everything. I do remember some long lines, of course. But I don't know how much you can compare that situation to today. And multi-day WDW visits hardly compare to "one day and out" visits.

So I just spent the last three hours coordinating/planning/organizing/optimizing/adjusting/reassembling/tweaking/cancelling/reapplying/extrapolating/synchronizing/confirming our 90 different FP reservations for our 16 day trip in November.

Luckily, I was able to obtain those coveted Figment, Captain EO, and prime-spot bathroom urinal reservations. Oh, the relief. Now I can sleep tonight knowing that we won't have to wait in the standby line.

YES! That was our experience also. We waited 20 minutes outside LWL our FP+ for a ride that had a 10 minute wait. Why? We had to use our FP+ in order to go looking for that ever elusive 4 FP+. If we didn't use it, we would have had to wait an hour to go get one.

DHS was 3 and out. I ended up cancelling most of our Lunches in the park because it was hurry up and wait. There wasn't much flow.

We waited about 1/2 hour for our GMR (there isn't much to do for 1/2 hour besides shop) we walked in and there were about 20 in the FP+ line and 12 in the SB line.

I didnt find that to be the case. There were a few times when one of the guests in our party had issues. It delayed us at the gate for about an addition 1 minute.
Another issue was when I had gone to a kiosk to delete a ride and add another. The CM was kind enough to help me thru the screens and actually was able to get us earlier times on 2 of our 3 choices-same day.
After making those changes, we had another issue actually using the choices as for some reason they did not save. We were delayed at the entry of the rie for an additional mm...30 seconds as they let us right thru even though the computer wasnt recognizing our passes.
It really isnt horrible. The app was a little slower than I had imagined..but really, it wasnt much of a problem at all. I was a die hard paper fast passer as I LOVED to hand them out to kids who were strangers. But, tbh..I loved the bands. Even when there were issues, CM's very cordially made it right without the slightest hint of annoyance.:wizard:
Keep your head, wait for it to be a disaster-then you can complain. But until then..its DISNEY MAN!! Have FUN!!

Was our time in WDW a disaster, no, but I spent more time not in the parks than I had in the past. If I wanted to spend a day poolside, I would be at a beach somewhere. That is why I go to WDW to spend time in the theme parks.

You bring up a good point a lot of us that have been many times forget-

Not everyone knows the parks like the back of their hands. I need a bathroom? I know where the closest one is in any park, anywhere I am. A specific food? Know where to go and shortest way to get there. But I remember my first trip staying in the cabins and having to call the desk just to get someone to explain those darn busses and how do I get to the boat???

So for people who visit once every few years or especially for newbies who have never been- Disney can be a formidable place to navigate. For one person, making rope drop, knowing exactly where to go to get to a legacy fp was no big deal. For someone who doesn't know, it's not so easy.

Add to that if you have small children and don't have a built in runner for fp's and it gets even harder.

FP+ eliminates the need for all that. You spend the time you would waste in the parks at home- much preferable to standing in a hot park making a plan you can't plan because legacy fp was an on the fly style of touring.

FP+ has made planning a trip more formidable not less.

I traveled to the parks solo with small children and I managed as the sole FP+ runner. I could see where it would be nice if you know your kids need a break between 1-3 you could try to avoid those times.

If you child decides he loves PP how do you tell them sorry, you can only ride that once.

The inflexibility of FP+ meant we were running more and then waiting out in the hot park instead of shorter SB lines. We wasted more time waiting for our FP+ to start than we ever did with the FP-. We only got FP- for rides that needed them and ones we wanted to ride.

FP- never ran out before the park opened for the day. You could, gasp, change your mind and go to Epcot or DHS in the AM. Not to mention, our plan was to pick going to the water parks when it was good weather. How do you plan that 60 days out? We always had an A) Park, B) Park OR water park on the nice days. But with FP+ you have to pick your A park 60 days out. So if the weather is nice both EPCOT or DHS days, oh well, you lose.

I traveled to the parks solo with small children and I managed as the sole FP+ runner.

I'd say you were pretty accomplished if you can run to the back of a park with more than one "small" child at your side. But for most, I don't think that's realistic.

If you child decides he loves PP how do you tell them sorry, you can only ride that once.

Your child can ride it more than once. PP is not hard to get same day. And there's always standby.

The inflexibility of FP+ meant we were running more and then waiting out in the hot park instead of shorter SB lines. We wasted more time waiting for our FP+ to start than we ever did with the FP-. We only got FP- for rides that needed them and ones we wanted to ride.

I'm sorry, but that's just poor planning. If you know 2 months out that you have a 2 hr break between fp's, you can plan to do other things. There's no need to stand around waiting. With legacy fp, you never knew how much time you'd have until you got to the ride.

FP- never ran out before the park opened for the day. You could, gasp, change your mind and go to Epcot or DHS in the AM. Not to mention, our plan was to pick going to the water parks when it was good weather. How do you plan that 60 days out? We always had an A) Park, B) Park OR water park on the nice days. But with FP+ you have to pick your A park 60 days out. So if the weather is nice both EPCOT or DHS days, oh well, you lose.[/QUOTE]

I've said it many times= fp+ is not good for those who want to tour on the fly and make last second decisions on which park to visit each day.

YES! That was our experience also. We waited 20 minutes outside LWL our FP+ for a ride that had a 10 minute wait. Why? We had to use our FP+ in order to go looking for that ever elusive 4 FP+. If we didn't use it, we would have had to wait an hour to go get one.

May I ask why you felt like you needed to do that? I was under the impression that you can change the FP+ you already have to another time/attraction that you want as long as you haven't used it.

May I ask why you felt like you needed to do that? I was under the impression that you can change the FP+ you already have to another time/attraction that you want as long as you haven't used it.

Not always possible in parks with tiered attractions.

I'd say you were pretty accomplished if you can run to the back of a park with more than one "small" child at your side. But for most, I don't think that's realistic.

Your child can ride it more than once. PP is not hard to get same day. And there's always standby.

I'm sorry, but that's just poor planning. If you know 2 months out that you have a 2 hr break between fp's, you can plan to do other things. There's no need to stand around waiting. With legacy fp, you never knew how much time you'd have until you got to the ride.

FP- never ran out before the park opened for the day. You could, gasp, change your mind and go to Epcot or DHS in the AM. Not to mention, our plan was to pick going to the water parks when it was good weather. How do you plan that 60 days out? We always had an A) Park, B) Park OR water park on the nice days. But with FP+ you have to pick your A park 60 days out. So if the weather is nice both EPCOT or DHS days, oh well, you lose.

I've said it many times= fp+ is not good for those who want to tour on the fly and make last second decisions on which park to visit each day.[/QUOTE]

Poor planning? :rotfl2::rotfl2: If I got paid for the time I put into my last 4 trips to WDW, the trips would have been free!!

Exactly how many day's this summer were you in WDW? I DO NOT tour on the fly, I pick my park days and make my ADR's 180 days in advance. I go with a touring plan. Nothing is last second. I use Josh's site and go with a touring plan. I've spent more time planning these last 4 trips than I ever did, especially ever time I logged onto the disboards, another rule change.

How do YOU fit in water parks then? Do you pick a day regardless of weather? THAT is poor planning. I did notice you ignored that bit of INFLEXABILITY. What if the two/7 good weather days land on the ONE park you are forced to pick from? Do you not get to go to DHS that trip.

You're having difficulties understanding the logistics of touring. You can't get in long SB lines between FP+ or as your suggesting, all FP+ should be scheduled 2 hrs apart and I don't want to spend 6 hours to get 3 attractions in. If you book 3 FP+ first thing in the AM you can't get in 30-40 minute SB lines between FP+. Even if you book 2 hrs apart, so you get 1 in between for a total of 6 attractions in 6 hours or 3 attractions in 3 hours. IT IS INFLEXIBLE IN PRACTICE.

I am spending more and getting less. One of the joy's of WDW, especially during the hot times of the year was a nice relaxing TS lunch. Much better than CS with little ones. Now I don't want to run across the park and it feels too overscheduled for a vacation so I cancelled most of them. My loss.

Several times I waited in the kiosk line to try to get a 4 FP+ (doesn't it even sound silly to wait in a line to avoid a line) but waiting 15 minutes in line to get the 1 available PC 3 hours in the future was better than the 45 minute wait (which is longer than it used to be because of FP+)

You're right, newbies will never notice the loss, but Disney veterans will know that you used to be able to do all that you wanted by Noon, have a nice lunch and go about your day. Now we scurry here and there and miss all the little things in between while checking our watches, our phones and looking for FP+ kiosks.

* ending the American Adventure Fife and Drum Corp. (and not replacing it with any other patriotic program)

First off, this Pi$$e$ me off, as an American I really liked this.

What Disney was thinking.....well, they were NOT. :rolleyes2

IF this was a money issue, well, patriotism and pride have no price, in my opinion.

Luckily, I was able to obtain those coveted Figment, Captain EO, and prime-spot bathroom urinal reservations. Oh, the relief. Now I can sleep tonight knowing that we won't have to wait in the standby line.

Please let me know if you can figure out a way for women to have Loo reservations. If you make an app, I will buy it. I am fairly certain other women will agree , there are NEVER enough stalls in the Loo. :worship:

DHS was 3 and out. I ended up cancelling most of our Lunches in the park because it was hurry up and wait. There wasn't much flow.

We waited about 1/2 hour for our GMR (there isn't much to do for 1/2 hour besides shop) we walked in and there were about 20 in the FP+ line and 12 in the SB line.

I've haven't visited the boards much in the past few months but read this and wanted to say that this past June I made a comment to my DH that I saw more people sitting around on the ground and curbs than any of our other past June trips. When we went into any stores, I didn't notice them being more crowded but the walkways sure were from people sitting around. Not certain if they all were waiting to use fastpasses but I'm sure some were.

I've haven't visited the boards much in the past few months but read this and wanted to say that this past June I made a comment to my DH that I saw more people sitting around on the ground and curbs than any of our other past June trips. When we went into any stores, I didn't notice them being more crowded but the walkways sure were from people sitting around. Not certain if they all were waiting to use fastpasses but I'm sure some were.
This is funny. I thought Disney's intent was to have people in shopping or eating while they waited for their FP. It's so aggravating, I truly want to shop at Disney but every store has carries the same stuff.

Maybe Disney should've built more attractions and worked on their merchandise before implementing FP+.

Exactly how many day's this summer were you in WDW?

5 in August, will spend 6 starting next week. Yes, poor planning. If you've got 20 minutes and you don't want to take a break with a cold drink in the shade, there is always something to do.

How do YOU fit in water parks then? Do you pick a day regardless of weather? THAT is poor planning. I did notice you ignored that bit of INFLEXABILITY. What if the two/7 good weather days land on the ONE park you are forced to pick from? Do you not get to go to DHS that trip.

You won't know till the day of if you're guaranteed good weather. But really, it's so rare for it to rain all day, that we never worry about it. We watch for tropical storms because those can be different, but those you know about way in advance. Out of 7 days, you're going to get more than 2 nice days so that's really not a huge concern.

You're having difficulties understanding the logistics of touring.

We've been going to Disney since 1987. I think I understand the logistics of touring.

You can't get in long SB lines between FP+ or as your suggesting, all FP+ should be scheduled 2 hrs apart and I don't want to spend 6 hours to get 3 attractions in.

I didn't suggest getting in long standby lines. Believe it or not, there are other things to do in every park besides get on "rides".

If you book 3 FP+ first thing in the AM you can't get in 30-40 minute SB lines between FP+. Even if you book 2 hrs apart, so you get 1 in between for a total of 6 attractions in 6 hours or 3 attractions in 3 hours. IT IS INFLEXIBLE IN PRACTICE.
You may be right- if ALL you want to do is get on "rides".

I am spending more and getting less. One of the joy's of WDW, especially during the hot times of the year was a nice relaxing TS lunch. Much better than CS with little ones. Now I don't want to run across the park and it feels too overscheduled for a vacation so I cancelled most of them. My loss.

Schedule a meal that is close to where you are going to be at lunchtime- or schedule something close to where you want to eat.

Several times I waited in the kiosk line to try to get a 4 FP+ (doesn't it even sound silly to wait in a line to avoid a line) but waiting 15 minutes in line to get the 1 available PC 3 hours in the future was better than the 45 minute wait (which is longer than it used to be because of FP+)

This one I understand. The kiosks were crowded when we were there. So much so that we didn't bother. But we didn't find the standby lines to be long except for the headliners. Do you only visit each park once? Because we do half days for parks by park hopping. This way we get fp+ for 2 days for each park- we never felt the need to get additional fp's this way.
You're right, newbies will never notice the loss, but Disney veterans will know that you used to be able to do all that you wanted by Noon, have a nice lunch and go about your day. Now we scurry here and there and miss all the little things in between while checking our watches, our phones and looking for FP+ kiosks.

I actually never said that- But I pretty much qualify as a Disney veteran after 25+ years of going.

There are valid reasons not to like fp+. But there are also ways to minimize the problems some people have with it, just as we had to do for all the years legacy was used.

Totally agree with the OP. Disney has taken a noticeable dive in quality over the course of the last decade or so. Its already been said, and I totally agree, corporate profits are driving a less magical experience at Disney. Fewer and over worked cast members, fewer and cheaper new attractions, poor service at resorts, it goes on and on....

And why shouldn't they? Disney are a for-profit corporation. Executives make the big bucks for big profit margins on the balance sheet, not magical experience posts on the Dis.. And besides, there are legions of fan boys and girls humming Disney toons out of their bums, and who will accept anything Disney offers and say "thank you sir, may I please have another."

Until park profits are affected, Disney will continue to trim the magic (and cost) out of WDW. If enough people who feel strongly that something is wrong took action (such as stop going), I think the executives *might* eventually get the hint. But they'll have to feel it first, words won't do it.

I think there was just as much scurrying here and there with the old FP as there is with the new FP+. At least with FP+ you know ahead of time that you have 3 passes, and when they are for. No hiking across the park to a ride that may or may not have any FPs available at all, let alone for a time that works for your family. FP+ cuts down on the hiking, you only have to go to the ride when it is time to ride it, not once to pull the pass and then a second time to ride.

Yes, I first went to Disneyland as a child in the 70s, with my parents. Back then, Disneyland was a once a year special event. We would go from rope drop to closing, and try to ride everything. I do remember some long lines, of course. But I don't know how much you can compare that situation to today. And multi-day WDW visits hardly compare to "one day and out" visits.

I was wondering if you ever did Disney World without FPs. You stated you relied on FP to make your trips enjoyable. Just wonder if you did any trips before FP, and if you found them not enjoyable. Did being able to use FP really make or break your trips? I liked the system, don't get me wrong. But I had a great time in the parks before FP and I will have a great time (and have twice already) using FP+. I find it a bit sad that someone's good time at WDW is tied to one system. I would hope that you could find something to love about WDW, FP, FP+, or no FP system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter