Is anyone considering postponing a trip?

I've been watching DVC inventory and a LOT has been opening up for February. Seems like canceling/suspending trips is becoming commonplace.

Wish I was able to cancel our DVC in February. Oh, well.

There’s a lot of compelling reasons to post-pone but none of us truly knows what the future holds.

We cancelled our epic 12 day family reunion trip that was originally booked for November '20, then cancelled (no vaccines yet), then rebooked, then cancelled (delta surge) and rebooked for January 21st, 2022. It was devastating for everyone but there were a lot of factors that forced us to finally make the call last week. I feel like we are always going when there is some kind of spike happening which forces us to postpone. Really hoping covid is at least on a decline in April so we can finally make this trip happen.

Well i am now thinking we will just go as long as we are well. I wont have time off with my older one (teen) until June. I have a few days off for my younger one's spring break in march but the older one has school.

Disney just looks like a super spreader event right now.
Florida is being, well......Florida. Orlando numbers are through the roof.
Haven't pulled the plug on our March trip yet but we'll see how it goes by the end of January.
I have a gut feeling Disney is about the drop the hammer on restrictions because Omicron is so contagious and the parks are so crowded. People make choices and there are ramifications for those choices, good and bad.

We’ve got a trip planned in mid-February, my daughter has a gymnastics meet and the plan was to stay through that and our school vacation week for 10 days.

I’ve never been this close to a trip with 0 plans - haven’t bought tickets, no dining reservations, not even sure what days we’ll visit which parks. Planning is my favorite part and I am just not feeling it. We’re keeping an eye on case number over the next week or 2,
And if the meet is canceled, we will have to make a call.

Just feeling so bummed - didn’t think we’d be at this place when I booked flights last July.

We went, but I logged on to this board specifically to say that we should have canceled. Our flight home was canceled and there were no one-way rental cars in the whole state of FL to let us drive. Spent three hours on hold with the airline. Finally got home after midnight last night. Travel is awful right now. As my son said, “Disney isn’t as fun if you can’t leave!” Also, if you are worried about masks, do not go now. We were at the Carousel of Progress on Thursday, and when the lights came up, we saw that we were the only family still masked. I think things will be easier in the future, but right now is a mess.

Our trip starts on January 9th and I keep going back and forth on whether we should go. We have been very cautious regarding Covid and have followed all the guidance on masking and social distancing since the beginning of the pandemic. We are all vaccinated and boosted if eligible. Part of me feels like we should wait, but the other part of me thinks there's never going to be a time when Covid isn't a risk. I never avoided Disney due to flu or other circulating viruses (not saying Covid is just like the flu) and now I'm wondering if I still need to keep my risk threshold much lower for Covid than for those, or if with a booster and the reported mildness of Omicron it's safe to accept a bit more risk? We are driving so travel interruptions aren't a huge concern, and we have the ability to isolate when we get home to ensure we aren't spreading anything.

I really miss the days when the things I stressed the most about when it came to trip planning was getting difficult dining reservations! Two years of analyzing the risk/benefit for all the things is getting really old.

Our trip starts on January 9th and I keep going back and forth on whether we should go. We have been very cautious regarding Covid and have followed all the guidance on masking and social distancing since the beginning of the pandemic. We are all vaccinated and boosted if eligible. Part of me feels like we should wait, but the other part of me thinks there's never going to be a time when Covid isn't a risk. I never avoided Disney due to flu or other circulating viruses (not saying Covid is just like the flu) and now I'm wondering if I still need to keep my risk threshold much lower for Covid than for those, or if with a booster and the reported mildness of Omicron it's safe to accept a bit more risk? We are driving so travel interruptions aren't a huge concern, and we have the ability to isolate when we get home to ensure we aren't spreading anything.

I really miss the days when the things I stressed the most about when it came to trip planning was getting difficult dining reservations! Two years of analyzing the risk/benefit for all the things is getting really old.

Agree! We are leaving Friday night, driving both ways. We postponed our family trip from last December and have been nervously looking forward to this trip. Three of us went in April '21, when Disney was taking more precautions and we wish that was still the case. We are bringing all supplies and hoping for the best. People are getting sick at work, school, etc., so we don't think cancelling is necessarily going to keep us 'safer'.

Hope you have a safe trip!

Disney just looks like a super spreader event right now.
Florida is being, well......Florida. Orlando numbers are through the roof.
Haven't pulled the plug on our March trip yet but we'll see how it goes by the end of January.
I have a gut feeling Disney is about the drop the hammer on restrictions because Omicron is so contagious and the parks are so crowded. People make choices and there are ramifications for those choices, good and bad.

Exactly people should have choices if their afraid don’t go if they want to go then go.

We have until Friday to cancel our late January trip (staying at our timeshare). If we cancel, we won't be able to reschedule this year. That's not the end of the world, but it's also not what we want to do. We'll have to sit on the cost of park tickets and plane tickets (not refundable, but can be used for credit towards another flight), again. We're already doing that with cruise funds we paid out in 2019 for a 2020 cruise that didn't happen...

We're still leaning toward going - we're both boosted, and we work from home, so working while sick isn't an issue as long as it's a mild case. Spread in our state is kind of low currently, but I don't think we're going to be able to avoid getting this forever.

Numbers are through the roof everywhere right now. How is Florida being Florida?
I know Florida numbers are bad, but they are going crazy everywhere- I live in upstate NYS. NYC has really strict vaccine and mask mandates and NYS posted 162,031 cases yesterday! Our county is really high per capita, but not as bad as the NYC area right now.

I think the biggest reason I postponed my Christmas trip is not so much I fear Covid. I'm boosted and take all the precautions. It's I fear getting sick (even a minor cold) on a vacation I've spent thousands on. The contagiousness of this virus is insane. I'm shooting for the first week of February. Hopefully the crowds will be better and I got a decent price at the Swan Reserve. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Heading down in four weeks. I’ve been to Disney five times during the pandemic era, and so far have managed to avoid the more dangerous strains of Covid. Be it pandemic fatigue or the less risky profile of this variant for the vaxxed and boosted, I’m not as wound up about Omicron.

That said, I’ll probably hole up for about a week before my trip, to avoid having to postpone or cancel due to being infected.

Best of luck to everyone going now or postponing until things look better. You do what you feel is right to have the best trip!

I know Florida numbers are bad, but they are going crazy everywhere-

Exactly. I don't understand why some people think this is just a Florida thing at the moment.

A family member of ours lives in NJ and travels into NYC constantly for dinner and drinks. She is appalled that we are traveling to Florida. After all, "they are so irresponsible 'down there' ". Huh? Look at your own numbers. Look at our entire country's numbers. Why act like one state is spearheading this virus?

I think the biggest reason I postponed my Christmas trip is not so much I fear Covid. I'm boosted and take all the precautions. It's I fear getting sick (even a minor cold) on a vacation I've spent thousands on. The contagiousness of this virus is insane. I'm shooting for the first week of February. Hopefully the crowds will be better and I got a decent price at the Swan Reserve. Keeping my fingers crossed!
I so agree with this. I've been sick on holiday before and was miserable. Omicron is so contagious that there is a good chance of getting it and, even if only mild symptoms occur, being sick while on holidays bites. Being sick while wearing a mask in the Florida heat would really bite. Being sick and not being able to get home to Canada would really really bite.

Exactly. I don't understand why some people think this is just a Florida thing at the moment.

A family member of ours lives in NJ and travels into NYC constantly for dinner and drinks. She is appalled that we are traveling to Florida. After all, "they are so irresponsible 'down there' ". Huh? Look at your own numbers. Look at our entire country's numbers. Why act like one state is spearheading this virus?

I think if your watching one news outlet they report things a certain way. I live in NYC it’s super strict with vaccines and vaccine cards and we’re going crazy with cases.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter