Is 7 nights at Aulani too many ?

The beauty of staying at Aulani is that you get to avoid Waikiki entirely. When you read those occasional articles about how "Hawaii is overrated," 10 times out of 10 they're from people who stayed in Waikiki.

The North Shore isn't really a full day either, unless you're a surfer. Dole Planation and Green World Coffee Farm are right on the way, so if you pit stop at those up to Waimea Valley, stopping at some shops and lunch along the way, that would mostly "cover" the North Shore IMO.

I totally agree with Waikiki. Barely worth visiting unless there's a restaurant you want to go to. North Shore has a lot to see if you are with some hiking. It also has what I believe is the nicest beach on the island at Kawela Bay.

I mean... Kind of, I guess. But Oahu isn't that big. Ko Olina to the Pearl Harbor Visitors Center is like 20 minutes. Nothing is far from anything.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. I'm always so surprised when I see people describe Aulani's location as "remote." I also don't find traffic to be awful on Oahu--I think it's pretty easy to drive. That being said, I have lived in several large cities, including Chicago and Houston, so comparatively, Oahu is small and driving is easy.

Last edited:
I agree with this wholeheartedly. I'm always so surprised when I see people describe Aulani's location as "remote." I also don't find traffic to be awful on Oahu--I think it's pretty easy to drive. That being said, I have lived in several large cities, include Chicago and Houston, so comparatively, Oahu is small and driving is easy.
This is just a guess, but I suspect a lot of non-Aulani Hawaii tourists stay in Waikiki and rely on various shuttles and taxi services. I suppose if you *didn't* rent a car, Aulani could be seen as remote in that sense. But there are destinations to visit all around the island,, so nothing is going to be right in the neighborhood of everything you're going to want to do.

I mean... Kind of, I guess. But Oahu isn't that big. Ko Olina to the Pearl Harbor Visitors Center is like 20 minutes. Nothing is far from anything.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. I'm always so surprised when I see people describe Aulani's location as "remote." I also don't find traffic to be awful on Oahu--I think it's pretty easy to drive. That being said, I have lived in several large cities, including Chicago and Houston, so comparatively, Oahu is small and driving is easy.
I'd respectfully disagree, but its all relative. When I describe Ko Olina as isolated or remote, I mean its relegated to the western side of the island with nothing (worth noting) north of it. A place like Waikiki I'd consider fairly central to many things people want to see and do on Oahu. But Ko Olina has no true tourist spots within a couple mile drive - everything is at least a 25 minute drive via highway driving, and in our experience, heavy traffic is a factor. We live in Buffalo and are not at all used to traffic like that. Some people want things in walking distance or a quick couple block or mile drive away. Ko Olina does not offer that, so I think its worth noting for those who may want to consider it.

Ka'ena Point from the leeward side is, in my opinion, the best family hike anywhere.
Ok, but I would not consider that to be a main tourist spot. So, I'd still stand by my point that Ko Olina is not central to the main tourist spots and aside from the place you mention, there's nothing worth visiting north of it. In fact, I think Waianae may be high crime and impoverished, though I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Ok, but I would not consider that to be a main tourist spot. So, I'd still stand by my point that Ko Olina is not central to the main tourist spots and aside from the place you mention, there's nothing worth visiting north of it. In fact, I think Waianae may be high crime and impoverished, though I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on that.
I would agree--Ko Olina is definitely not centrally located, but i guess for me, if you have a car, it really doesn't make much difference where you stay on the island, b/c it's a pretty small area. If you are looking at for a home base from which you can walk to other attractions or take a short shuttle ride, then no, Aulani is not your place. For those who are used to big cities, though, having to drive 25 mins to get somewhere is really nothing--I mean, I drive 20 mins one way just to take my kid to school everyday, so I guess we just have different perspectives, based on what our home norm is.

I would agree--Ko Olina is definitely not centrally located, but i guess for me, if you have a car, it really doesn't make much difference where you stay on the island, b/c it's a pretty small area. If you are looking at for a home base from which you can walk to other attractions or take a short shuttle ride, then no, Aulani is not your place. For those who are used to big cities, though, having to drive 25 mins to get somewhere is really nothing--I mean, I drive 20 mins one way just to take my kid to school everyday, so I guess we just have different perspectives, based on what our home norm is.
Very true, definitely relative and subjective. When visiting WDW, we choose our hotel based on proximity to the park we spend the most time at. When we go to Vegas, we stay center strip. Ease of logistics is something important to us for cost, convenience, and to maximize time/efficiency. I don't think Aulani's location is conducive to that, but not everyone shares those priorities. But because we like it and we love Disney, we'd still choose to stay there. I'd just couple it with a split stay in Waikiki again, and choose to have more resort time while at Aulani. Different strokes for different folks for sure though!

Very true, definitely relative and subjective. When visiting WDW, we choose our hotel based on proximity to the park we spend the most time at. When we go to Vegas, we stay center strip. Ease of logistics is something important to us for cost, convenience, and to maximize time/efficiency. I don't think Aulani's location is conducive to that, but not everyone shares those priorities. But because we like it and we love Disney, we'd still choose to stay there. I'd just couple it with a split stay in Waikiki again, and choose to have more resort time while at Aulani. Different strokes for different folks for sure though!
It's not about the priorities, I think you're making an actual miscalculation in your logistics planning. In other words, I'm not saying "you're wrong for picking a place that's closer to attractions," I'm saying "Waikiki isn't actually much closer to the attractions, because the attractions are spread all over the island."

Pearl Harbor is smack in the middle of Ko Olina and Waikiki, about 20 minutes from either. Dole Plantation, Green World Coffee Farm, Waimea Valley, and the entirety of the North Shore are more convenient from Aulani. Kualoa Ranch, the Byodo-In Temple, and the Polynesian Cultural Center are a decently long drive from either location. Waikiki is obviously more convenient to Diamond Head and the Bishop Museum.

To use your WDW example, it makes sense to stay at the Contemporary for convenience if you spend loads of time at the Magic Kingdom. But if you visit all four parks somewhat equally, you might actually be adding total commute time because of how far the Contemporary is from the other three parks.

It's not about the priorities, I think you're making an actual miscalculation in your logistics planning. In other words, I'm not saying "you're wrong for picking a place that's closer to attractions," I'm saying "Waikiki isn't actually much closer to the attractions, because the attractions are spread all over the island."

Pearl Harbor is smack in the middle of Ko Olina and Waikiki, about 20 minutes from either. Dole Plantation, Green World Coffee Farm, Waimea Valley, and the entirety of the North Shore are more convenient from Aulani. Kualoa Ranch, the Byodo-In Temple, and the Polynesian Cultural Center are a decently long drive from either location. Waikiki is obviously more convenient to Diamond Head and the Bishop Museum.

To use your WDW example, it makes sense to stay at the Contemporary for convenience if you spend loads of time at the Magic Kingdom. But if you visit all four parks somewhat equally, you might actually be adding total commute time because of how far the Contemporary is from the other three parks.
Well, no, I'm not miscalculating anything. This is all a matter of opinion. I used Waikiki in my post as its more central for things that are of interest to us. I didn't say for you or for everyone. We like shopping and dining, and it has that in walking distance. If you want Diamond Head, the zoo, Bishop Museum, Iolani Palace, Hanuama Bay, various snorkeling, and a million other organized tours with roundtrip transportation plus proximity to the airport - Waikiki is your place. Its a fact that Ko Olina has less to offer in terms of excursions and things in walking distance - whether that's good, bad or indifferent to you absolutely depends on your priorities. I'm not saying Waikiki is superior to Ko Olina, but the proximity and logistics for what you want to do is of course an important thing for anyone to consider when deciding where to say.

I think it depends on how much you enjoy sunbathing and pool time. We have found after three nights we are ready to move on . One of our best vacations started with three nights at Aulani to adjust to the time change. (We flew in from Michigan.) Then did the 7 night Norwegian cruise of the islands. Then stopped at Disneyland for five nights on the way home. We have never rented a car on Oahu and after seeing Honolulu traffic prolly never will .

I think it depends on how much you enjoy sunbathing and pool time.

We have never rented a car on Oahu and after seeing Honolulu traffic prolly never will .
These two statements kind of cause one another. If you don't rent a car and you're going to be physically at Aulani for the duration of your stay, yeah three nights is probably appropriate because, like you said, it's mostly sunbathing and pool time.

I think the OP's question was more "I'm going to be staying at Aulani but experiencing as much of Oahu as I can, not staying at the resort the entire time." In that case, you probably want at least 7 days.

I'll add, since you mentioned the time change, we have the most luck when we actually try to avoid adjusting as much as we can. That makes it much easier when it's time to go home. While we're in Hawaii, we typically try to wake up by 4:00 and bed by 8:00.

Really depends if you want to hit north shore while on island. North Shore is 10 mins closer to Aulani than Waikiki but 10 mins further than Pearl Harbor. Prob better though depending on traffic. North Shore traffic is way lighter if not a holiday or a Saturday. Man, during Covid it was a ghost town. I really like the idea of running off the jet lag at the resort.

Well, no, I'm not miscalculating anything. This is all a matter of opinion. I used Waikiki in my post as its more central for things that are of interest to us. I didn't say for you or for everyone. We like shopping and dining, and it has that in walking distance. If you want Diamond Head, the zoo, Bishop Museum, Iolani Palace, Hanuama Bay, various snorkeling, and a million other organized tours with roundtrip transportation plus proximity to the airport - Waikiki is your place. Its a fact that Ko Olina has less to offer in terms of excursions and things in walking distance - whether that's good, bad or indifferent to you absolutely depends on your priorities. I'm not saying Waikiki is superior to Ko Olina, but the proximity and logistics for what you want to do is of course an important thing for anyone to consider when deciding where to say.
I quite prefer Aulani’s location to Waikiki. The ”one and done”sights you mentioned are pretty much all doable in a day or two, and its fun to spend a morning or afternoon checking out Waikiki. But to me it’s not really Hawaii. It’s a commercial expanse of shopping malls, concrete, and wall to wall hotels along a narrow, mediocre beach. In a normal year, it’s also congested and crowded. And it’s far from being either picturesque or beautiful.
Aulani is both. We love the Ko Olina lagoons and beaches, the amazing pool area, and the gorgeous landscaped pathway along the beach connecting all the hotels. And with the Four Seasons now open, there are plenty of great restaurants within walking distance. For us, it’s got that paradise feeling you expect from Hawaii. I’m not saying Ko Olina is superior to Waikiki, but Aulani’s unique design and features, coupled with it’s proximity to a far more picturesque and far less crowded strench of beaches, for us provides a far more satisfying experience.

I quite prefer Aulani’s location to Waikiki. The ”one and done”sights you mentioned are pretty much all doable in a day or two, and its fun to spend a morning or afternoon checking out Waikiki. But to me it’s not really Hawaii. It’s a commercial expanse of shopping malls, concrete, and wall to wall hotels along a narrow, mediocre beach. In a normal year, it’s also congested and crowded. And it’s far from being either picturesque or beautiful.
Aulani is both. We love the Ko Olina lagoons and beaches, the amazing pool area, and the gorgeous landscaped pathway along the beach connecting all the hotels. And with the Four Seasons now open, there are plenty of great restaurants within walking distance. For us, it’s got that paradise feeling you expect from Hawaii. I’m not saying Ko Olina is superior to Waikiki, but Aulani’s unique design and features, coupled with it’s proximity to a far more picturesque and far less crowded strench of beaches, for us provides a far more satisfying experience.
To each their own. I agree that Waikiki doesn't encapsulate true Hawaii, but neither does Ko Olina. Its a gated planned tourist community with man-made lagoons and restaurants designed and priced for tourists. Its curated to emulate true Hawaii, but its not. That's not a bad thing - its still enjoyable and beautiful, but I don't think one can argue that Waikiki or Ko Olina are representative of Hawaii because neither are. In fact, whenever car rental threads come up, I almost always say a rental car is a must so that one can experience Oahu outside of the bubble of Ko Olina. Without leaving Ko Olina, you might as well be at any expensive resort on any beach in the world.

FWIW, IMO, the beaches on the windward side of the island are superior to the ones in Ko Olina. But, lodging options on that side are few and far between, so I'd say the location is even less desirable in terms of proximity to many of the main tourist destinations.

Again, this is all a matter of opinion. As I mentioned, some people want things to do in walking distance, they want night life, they want to avoid driving 20+ minutes on the highway to get most places they want to go. In that case, Waikiki is better than Ko Olina. If you don't plan to venture out much and want to enjoy resort time, Ko Olina is it. We enjoy both experiences staying in both areas, and would do the same again. But it really doesn't matter which you or I prefer, we're all just providing different perspectives so that whoever is reading here planning their trip can make informed decisions.

In fact, whenever car rental threads come up, I almost always say a rental car is a must so that one can experience Oahu outside of the bubble of Ko Olina.
I think renting a car when you go on vacation to another state is pretty normal. I'm not sure why anyone would fly 5 to 12 hours to get some place just to be stuck relying on shuttles and whatever is within walking distance of your hotel, no matter how centrally located the hotel. In other words, yeah I agree that people should rent a car in Ko Olina, but I'd absolutely rent a car if I was staying in Waikiki, too.

I think the reason that "should we rent a car" comes up so much with Aulani is because WDW is one of the few places where that isn't the case.

To each their own. I agree that Waikiki doesn't encapsulate true Hawaii, but neither does Ko Olina. Its a gated planned tourist community with man-made lagoons and restaurants designed and priced for tourists. Its curated to emulate true Hawaii, but its not. That's not a bad thing - its still enjoyable and beautiful, but I don't think one can argue that Waikiki or Ko Olina are representative of Hawaii because neither are. In fact, whenever car rental threads come up, I almost always say a rental car is a must so that one can experience Oahu outside of the bubble of Ko Olina. Without leaving Ko Olina, you might as well be at any expensive resort on any beach in the world.

FWIW, IMO, the beaches on the windward side of the island are superior to the ones in Ko Olina. But, lodging options on that side are few and far between, so I'd say the location is even less desirable in terms of proximity to many of the main tourist destinations.

Again, this is all a matter of opinion. As I mentioned, some people want things to do in walking distance, they want night life, they want to avoid driving 20+ minutes on the highway to get most places they want to go. In that case, Waikiki is better than Ko Olina. If you don't plan to venture out much and want to enjoy resort time, Ko Olina is it. We enjoy both experiences staying in both areas, and would do the same again. But it really doesn't matter which you or I prefer, we're all just providing different perspectives so that whoever is reading here planning their trip can make informed decisions.
All true! But I have a slightly harsher view of Waikiki. Yes, I guess the nightlife is better (though I don’t think Hawaii has ever been famous for it’s nightlife), and there are more malls and such (though I don’t think Hawaii has ever been famous for its malls), but there’s one negative that for me overshadows everything...it’s a crowded, concrete tourist mess! And yes, Ko Olina is a curated, fantasy version of Hawaii. Yes please! The resort didn’t materialize out of nature, it was built! But unlike the hotels in Waikiki, or elsewhere on the islands, it’s theming and design represent a genuine effort to reflect Hawaiian culture. It’s not just a glass tower. It’s more.

And, yes, the lagoons and walkways and waterfalls and gardens are all man made and beautifully designed. They’re peaceful and serene and stunning. And the vanishing edge hot tub overlooking the ocean and the sunset didn’t just pop out of nature! Someone designed it and put it there. I guess I could go camp out by some waterfall in Kauai to get the real Hawaii, but I think I’ll stick with the fantasy version!

I think renting a car when you go on vacation to another state is pretty normal. I'm not sure why anyone would fly 5 to 12 hours to get some place just to be stuck relying on shuttles and whatever is within walking distance of your hotel, no matter how centrally located the hotel. In other words, yeah I agree that people should rent a car in Ko Olina, but I'd absolutely rent a car if I was staying in Waikiki, too.

I think the reason that "should we rent a car" comes up so much with Aulani is because WDW is one of the few places where that isn't the case.

Many cities in Europe or Asia are easy to get around with public transit. I might get an Uber to or from the airport, but other than that I rarely get in a car.

With Aulani, I think you need a car for part of it, but you can definitely save money by renting it for a few days at the beginning or end of the trip.

Yes, I guess the nightlife is better (though I don’t think Hawaii has ever been famous for it’s nightlife)
You're right - most of Hawaii is a dead zone after 8pm. This was particularly true for us at Aulani, as two adults. After dinner and once the pools were closed, we really lacked for things to do in the evenings during our Aulani stay. Most nights we were back in the room by 9pm watching Netflix. At least in Waikiki, we could have an after dinner drink along the strip enjoying live music or even fireworks on some nights. We also found that since we came from the east coast, we were wide awake by 4am our first few days. Waikiki was the only spot of all the places we stayed in Hawaii that had signs of life at that time of the morning. Because so many travel from other time zones and because Waikiki is one of the main areas to stay in, there was a good number of people out and about and coffee shops open. Just a little thing for early risers to consider too.

there are more malls and such (though I don’t think Hawaii has ever been famous for its malls),
As a woman and someone who lives in Buffalo, we don't have a lot of the stores that other big cities have so I appreciated the shopping! I still wear my shirt from 88 Tees and the Ala Moana Center is the nicest mall I've ever been to. But I agree that shopping would not be a priority for everyone.

it’s a crowded, concrete tourist mess!
Its definitely a tourist hotspot and, at least pre-pandemic, was very crowded. I always advise people that Waikiki is not the place for beach time. But, I do like the lively atmosphere and the people watching that comes with a bustling area like that. One of the other benefits is that out of the three nights we spent in Waikiki, there were different things going on each night - for instance, one night, the road was closed and a bunch of food vendors and local arts & crafts vendors set-up shop. Just made it interesting with more to do.

Again, I get that these things are not for everyone and I'm not trying to convince you otherwise. Just offering a different perspective! Neither is right or wrong. I'm not even saying people should stay in Waikiki instead of Aulani, but rather they should stay in addition to so they can experience the best of both worlds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter