iPhone Running Apps - Which is Best?

3TinksAndAnEeyore

DIS Veteran
I'm about to upgrade from my ancient and decrepit first generation iPhone to an iPhone 3GS.
woot.gif
Now that I'm on week 7 of C25K, I would love to have a way of measuring the actual distance I'm running. I can kind of figure it out using the Gmap Pedometer, but it would be so nice to have an actual measurement. Doing a search of the apps, it looks like there are quite a few. I'm leaning towards "Runmeter GPS Running Stopwatch/Sports Watch" by Abvio LLC, but I'm hoping one of you might have a suggestion, comment, or opinion.

Thanks!
Stephanie

if you get the 3GS then I would simply use the Nike+ app that comes with the phone.. i LOVE mine.. you will have to spend the $20 or so to get a reciever (and probably the pouch for your shoes). That was one of the main reasons I went with the 3GS and not just the 3G when I lost my old 3G phone this summer :rolleyes1 but I'd been using the Nike + with my nanno for years, so it was just a convienence to have everything all in one unit instead of haiving to use the Nanno for my runs and phone for everything else.
if you want just a good simple running app, I liked the Running Gypsy... but the Nike + is much more accurate.
There's also the C25K app which I really enjoyed when I was using that for my training.
Good luck!!:goodvibes

I agree with Nike + I used this with my iPod, recently upgraded my phone to an iPhone but purchased the 3G. I didn't realize at the time of purchase that the 3G was not compatible with the Nike +. I was very disappointed. I reluctantly downloaded RunKeeper and while it's just "ok", I really miss my Nike +. It is really the best out there and with only having to buy the sensor, it's a pretty good deal. You'd just need to own Nike sneakers.

I see a some of my FB/WISH Team friends using runkeeper. Seems like a cool app. I don't have iPhone though so can't say firshand.

i also use nike+. i don't have nike shoes, so i bought a little pouch at best buy (it attaches to my shoe laces). i love that it tracks my runs. and, i upload to the nike+ website when i run too.

Another vote for RunKeeper!

The free version is perfect for those starting out running or recreational runners, and the Pro version has some incredible features that make it every bit worth the $10.

I won two copies of the runmeter app on Twitter last week. I already own the app, my daughter is taking one of the freebies and I have one more code I can give away.

It uses the iPhone's built-in GPS to track your time/distance/elevation/etc. It creates neat Google maps and charts. It can also post stats to your Twitter and Facebook feeds. Search for "runmeter" on twitter and you'll see a lot of people's runs. You can check out the maps and some of the stats that way. It sells for $4.99 and is consistently in the top of the Fitness category in the app store.

More info:
Running app feature grid: http://www.abvio.com/running-guide/
Runmeter and RunKeeper Founder Smackdown:
http://www.xconomy.com/national/2010/10/18/abvio-vs-fitnesskeeper-the-running-app-founder-smackdown/

Requires:
iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4
(NOT for iPod Touch or first generation iPhone, which lack GPS capability)
iPhone OS 3.0 or later
WiFi, Edge or 3G connectivity for viewing maps, or using Twitter, Facebook, or email updates

The code must be redeemed before 10/27, so if you're interested get a message to me soon. Please don't ask me for the code just because it's free. I'd like it to go to someone who really thinks they'll use it.

Edited to add:
I just sent the code to a DISboarder who asked for it in a PM. I hope she can redeem it before it expires. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter