• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

IOA and customer service/handicapped access

Though I told the MOD that I had ended my voice in this discussion, subsequent posts have forced me to the defense...

First off, let's set things straight regarding my personal opinion stated was regarding ECVs only, not disabled peoplein general. These opinions have been formed over years of working in the amusement park industry. How do you think that happens? If you for one day would work on the other side, you might change your opinions too.

Let's talk about the things we see as ride operators every single day. The other day I had a situation involving a ECV. A rather large women (500+ pounds) was complaining about having to transfer out of her ECV to a standard wheelchair to access the ride. She was screaming obsenities and casting blame on employess and the park. What to do? Is she disabled? Of course not, she was merely fat and using the claim of being disabled to bypass the system. Now, the complaint arised because she witnessed another disabled group entering the ride through a special entrance. Mind you this group included a terminally ill child. C'mon show some compassion! And worse in her way out, she backed over a small boys foot with her EVC. Imagine how that must have felt to this child and what is his impression on people in wheelcahirs/ECVs.

Next, a group were complaining they can't wait in the line. Here we had a women being pushed in a wheelchair by her young son with no visible disability. I do realize that you cannot base being disabled on outside appearance, but it was clearly the attitude of the husband that gave it away. After being refused, he went crazy and started blurting obsenities in all directions. Finally on their way out the woman got up out of the wheelchair and put her 2 kids in it and were on their way. Hmm, what was her disibility that required the wheelchair. Again, there was none.

Are you seeing a pattern here. It's a very common pattern park employees see each and every day. This merely explains how people can be swayed. In both cases these people were yelling obsenities in this family enviroment. That is unacceptable! Further more, what kind of values are these people passing onto children? Values that I want no part of knowing.

I'm sorry for disabled people and I would not like to be in their shoes. But you have to understand that being treated a certain way is not always the fault of policy and procedure. Do you think that policies are created out the blue? No, they are derived from actual situations. And you merely think it's ok to go off and write a letter of complaint because that's the easiest thing for you to do. But where do I get to complain? I don't. I must go on and face more and more of this each and every day with a smile hoping that in the afterlife these people will suffer for their actions.

The more unfortunate matter is that you fall into a class of the largest group of scammers, the ECVs. I would say that 9 out of 10 people in an ECV are scamming for something. This is fact I might add, fact from my personal experience. So maybe you should consider this before going off and writing some massive complaint. Maybe you should sit down and think over quite a few things. May I comment that most people who call themselves handicapped are faking it. That is not the proper term for a disabled person and for someone who is disabled, someone who has fought not to be treated differnetly would know that.

I must reiterate one more time that more people should stop and think. They should stop hiding behind a wall when it comes to dealing with disabled people. Look at our own moderator...enough said.

Originally posted by UrbanMoon

The more unfortunate matter is that you fall into a class of the largest group of scammers, the ECVs. I would say that 9 out of 10 people in an ECV are scamming for something. This is fact I might add, fact from my personal experience. So maybe you should consider this before going off and writing some massive complaint. Maybe you should sit down and think over quite a few things. May I comment that most people who call themselves handicapped are faking it. That is not the proper term for a disabled person and for someone who is disabled, someone who has fought not to be treated differnetly would know that.

With that kind of science who can desput you?

It's called Karma...people that are faking will get there just rewards. But the attitude toward everyone is not needed. You can't punish everybody for a few bad apples. I'm sure that you see more fakers than a normal person would, just becuase of the Job you do. (Which is ?)

Once again...good luck with the rest of your life with that attitude.

I would have to agree that ECV's should be either eliminated or their use severely restricted within the theme parks. Standard wheelchairs should be sufficient for the majority of the people and those who truely do need an ECV should be required to reserve one in advance and provide medical documentation as to why one is required. I also would not consider obesity to be a valid reason for requiring an ECV.

To answer the question as to why ECV's are used instead of wheelchairs, the answer is simple for me. I lack upper body strength to push a wheelchair all day. I can do it for a short time but not for 2 weeks straight on a vacation. In my daily life I don't need a chair to get to work. I walk with my cane from the door of my house to the paratransit service. It drops me off at the door to my work where I work for 8-10 hours a day 5x a week. Then I repeat the process to go home. If/when I need to go to a chair full time then it will need to be electric due to part of the disability. The ironic thing is that when I am sitting down I look PERFECTLY NORMAL. However, I qualify for both a disabled parking placard and the paratransit service. Both require medical documentation and one an exam. But again to look at me sitting I look perfectly normal. How dare anyone sit in judgment on me. If Universal requires documentation then I would be happy to provide it. I don't think it is a good idea because theme parks are more taxing than is normal life. However if that is what it takes then bring it on. It will just be one more place that I have to push some paper for. All any of the able body have mentioned is that they are inconvenienced by electric carts. The disabled are just as inconvenienced by any fakers as you might be. Even more. We are the ones who have to wait longer for the special cars to come around but ask any of us and the reply is always the same, better to have a faker get through then have someone who is truly disabled be denied.

Tiiiigergirl it sounds like you have been to Universal. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on the accesibility of the park to those who are disabled. Did you think that it was not wheelchair or ECV freindly? What were your experiences with employees?

I don't have any experience with Florida just California. They were pretty good but that was before I was very disabled and I did not use an ECV. I do have experience with ECV's at Disney and that is why I know you have to wait longer for the cars. It's that way at every park. I based my decision to cancel our trip on the phone conversations I had with customer "service". As I said earlier the one guy actually said after he found out I was disabled, "if you still want to come." I don't. Vacations are too expensive in both money and especially time to take a risk that we will not be treated courteously.

I'm curious as to why you asked. Do you have a family member who is disabled or are you merely curious? Do you work there?

I think one of the big problems with IoA is that it is geared to a younger crowd most of whom have no idea what the needs of the disabled really are. They don't have a clue as to how inconvenient it is to be disabled.

I was just curious about the subject. It is something I have not really noticed or payed attention to before not being handicapped myself, even though I have been to the park so many times. It interests me because I have read mostly bad things about IOA and this sort of thing. I'd like to just know if anyone had a positive experience at the park to fully understand what is wrong.
It seems to me that nancycels post seemed somewhat exagerated, although I am not really qualified to determine that. If IOA has a problem with this I'm not sure if it reaches to the extend of outright "hostility" towards handicapped guests. I know that the park has spent a great deal of money making everything accesible, but they also spent alot of money on the old Poseidons Fury and the Express System and they ended up having to change both. All I'm saying is that I dont think IOA is hostile and insensitive to handicapped guests (although that customer service guy sounds kind of bad) and I think that if this is indeed a problem they will be willing to make even drastic changes to satisfy everybody because that is the business they are in.

After Universal opened IOA I saw a large group of people that had
walkers arrive at the Rotunda. I assume they had no idea it was going
to be so difficult getting to the parks.I could not believe they had to get
on the moving sidewalks with a walker .Then they still have that long way
to get in the parks.I just wanted to say that I hope the people with a motor
scooter come so they enjoy the parks. Also any problems you have you can
work on it to make the next trip better.Surely you do not want to give the
satisfaction to a few people that have such a rotten attitude.I know there is
a lot you can enjoy .You will enjoy having nice meals and seeing how pretty it
is.That alone is worth it and you could even take in a ride or two. Ok maybe
a lot more but give it a try and give WHOEVER stops you from having 100% fun
a HARD TIME!!
:wave:

Originally posted by eetsoop

It seems to me that nancycels post seemed somewhat exagerated, although I am not really qualified to determine that. If IOA has a problem with this I'm not sure if it reaches to the extend of outright "hostility" towards handicapped guests. I know that the park has spent a great deal of money making everything accesible, but they also spent alot of money on the old Poseidons Fury and the Express System and they ended up having to change both. All I'm saying is that I dont think IOA is hostile and insensitive to handicapped guests (although that customer service guy sounds kind of bad) and I think that if this is indeed a problem they will be willing to make even drastic changes to satisfy everybody because that is the business they are in.

Did you read URBANMOON'S POST? Seems like a perfect example of what NACNYCELS is talking about. Seems to be an employee with a real problem towards disabled guest.
Once again Universal does not spend this money out of the goodness of their hearts....they must becuase of laws.

I don't think they have to be hostile to let me know that I'm not overly welcome. Just unhelpful and unfriendly. I know they can't forbid me from coming but they don't have to go out of their way to make me feel good about being there either.

I am very curious as to the response of Universal to my letter. I finished it last night and will mail it today. As far as Urban Moons statements that I should think about it from his/her perspective I wonder what makes them think I havn't ever been in that position.

I know I could go to Universal and make certain I was treated right but that would not be a vacation. Besides I am queen of rides. I like going on them. That is one of the reasons we are spending our retirement money now traveling. We don't know if I will be able to when I'm older so I want to get everything in I can now!:)

About UrbanMoons post he/she stated clearly:

"I am going to give you my personal opinion that has no reflection on the job I do."

While I may not fully concur with UrbanMoons personal opinion he/she seemed like a helpful employee:

"I am sorry that you had a bad experience and I have no excuses for the way some employees treated you while you were there. If you do ever decide to come back, I would suggest finding a lead or supervisor upon encountering a problem. We cannot fic things if guests don't relay the information to us. If you have any further question or comments don't hesitate to post them here."

Hostile was the word used by Nancycels to explain the way she was treated at the park and to me this sounds like an exageration.

Universal does not spend this money because they HAVE to. As I said before the reason they built the park was obviously to make people happy and give people a good time (and to make money doing this). They want people to come to their park and they want people to have fun and spend some dough, this includes people who are handicapped (if you think Universal does NOT want these people to come then you are very close-minded). I know for a fact that several Universal employees are handicapped themselves. If you go thinking everyone is against you then of course you will never have a good time. If Universal gets enough complaints what makes you think they wont fix a problem like this?

As I said I based my decision mostly on the discussion with the customer service representative who said, "if you really want to come."

I never said that Universal had to do those things.

As far as Urban Moon I'm not sure if he/she is helpful if he/she thinks you are a scammer or faker. That is my point. In their post they stated that 9 out 10 are faking. If they are judging it then it I am certain riding up on my ECV I would appear to be one of the fakers in their opinion. I can provide medical documentation to show I'm not but I look perfectly healthy while sitting down. As soon as I stood up and started walking it would become evident.

I am sure that Universal the organization wants me there. But indivdual employees that have a misconception about hidden disabilites do not. Again most of this is based on conversations directly with Universal. Could I take the risk? Certainly. Do I want to? No. I do not consider it a vacation to have to defend my right to use the medical equipment I need. I also think that this is very possibly the opinion of a few employees and I had the misfortune of running into them. Again, though, it is not a risk my husband and I wish to take. I also am entitled to share my experience with other disabled people so they can investigate on their own. I hope my letter generates some positive changes within their organization. I'm just not sure that they can make those changes in time for my trip. Again my money and time on the line.

Originally posted by eetsoop

Universal does not spend this money because they HAVE to. As I said before the reason they built the park was obviously to make people happy and give people a good time (and to make money doing this).

I understand that a business does not have to spend moneyto build a Theme park.

Issofar as the money spent on making the park "accessable"; Trust me if it was not for the Amercians with Disabilities Act these places would be much tougher on those with Disabilities. That was one of the main reasons why it was passed. Businesses were not doing the things necessary for those types of people. So yes they had to spend money on that. It is now the law. I really can't speak on how accessable Universal is as I'm not in that situation in my life. I prey never to be. But I do have a soft spot in my heart for these types of issues. Maybe Universal does go above and beyond the call of the law in making the park accessable. I'm not really an expert but it seems form the few post I've read there may be a few issues.

I personaly love the park. We had a great time and are planning on going back in December for Christmas. We did have isolated incidents of rude behavior and downright stupid things that we came across while in the parks. Still we loved our visit. Universal has me hooked.

I would love to meet some of the great people that work at Universal and post on this board. Most of them do a great service to their company. While others that claim to work there ,I would rather never meet or hope they do not have much customer interaction. As it seems they really do not have a cheerfull attitude about their job. Or seem very open minded about the world in general.

Not exactly my point...The previous posters made if seem if Universal spent money to make the park more accessable becuase they generally cared for the guest and wanted to make money off those people as well.

My point is that I understand that Universal did not have to build a theme park...nobody forced them to. However they are forced to make it more accessable based on the Amercians with Disabilites Act and for that reason is why they have made it accessable...Not out of the kindness of their hearts or whishes for more money. In fact I bet it was...is a loss.

Hostile was the word used by Nancycels to explain the way she was treated at the park and to me this sounds like an exageration.

Universal does not spend this money because they HAVE to. As I said before the reason they built the park was obviously to make people happy and give people a good time (and to make money doing this). They want people to come to their park and they want people to have fun and spend some dough, this includes people who are handicapped (if you think Universal does NOT want these people to come then you are very close-minded). I know for a fact that several Universal employees are handicapped themselves. If you go thinking everyone is against you then of course you will never have a good time. If Universal gets enough complaints what makes you think they wont fix a problem like this?
I hate to tell u, but hostile is not an exaggeration. I wish it were! We never go to the parks expecting not to have a great time! This is one reason we were so very disappointed in IOA. We also do not go expecting service to be impeccable, we know that's unrealistic. We expect 'glitches' on occasion and deal with them as they come up. But IOA was unfortunatly the exception! They were so woefully inadequately prepared for ECV'rs and were inhospitable as well!
To those of you who think ECV'rs are scammers, well, let me tell u, I wish I were! If I were a scam artist of some sort I wouldn't need to shell out the cash for an ecv rental, which believe me! I could happily spend elsewhere! Also to the person who said there was a 500lb woman who didn't need an ecv... well, i doubt she was 500 lbs(although anything is possible)... she'd have more problems than just needing an ecv if she was! And besides, I have no problem with anyone whose mobility is impaired for any reason using an ecv! The fact that some of them are fat, and some of them are thin shdn't matter! The fact that some people have an invisible disability also shdn't matter! It is not a park employees job to determine if someone needs an ECV! Like many others I could and did travel w/documentation (in case I needed it). The park employees job is to be sure all visitors have a good time. With or w/o an ecv or wheelchair! It is not up to them to decide to act w/hostility toward any park attendee. Their job is to make my visit pleasant. If they do even half of that I am happy! This is why I have sent Universal a detailed letter complete with suggestions that would be easily implemented w/o great cost. I did not just start this thread to cause everyone to be up in arms! I did it to raise conciousness of the problems we are all facing out there. I hope it will have some positive results!

Originally posted by EUROPA
I would love to meet some of the great people that work at Universal and post on this board. Most of them do a great service to their company. While others that claim to work there ,I would rather never meet or hope they do not have much customer interaction. As it seems they really do not have a cheerfull attitude about their job. Or seem very open minded about the world in general.

Would you be referring to me? It's always amazing to see someone judge a person based on what's written on the internet, a forum where emotions cannot be truly passed on because you lose the other senses of real life. You consistantly judge me as having an attitude. I have no attitude! And what I consider personal opinion never enters my mind while I'm on the job. If you would like to be terrorized, you should read some of the amusement park employee boards/newgroups where everything is a complaint ab ut guests expecially the disabled. Do you think that these people just stand there and smile while being friendly all day. If you do that you are living in a shallow world. You would fall flat on your face if you heard what it said behind the guest's back, somtimes even in front of guests.

I merely responded my personal opinion to a post that was clearly exagerated. I happed to have gotten the other side of the story involving her experience at Poseidon's Fury. Again, heed some advice i stated in earlier posts about hiding behind the great disabled wall. Just because a person is diabled doesn't always mean they are right.

Originally posted by UrbanMoon

Would you be referring to me? It's always amazing to see someone judge a person based on what's written on the internet, a forum where emotions cannot be truly passed on because you lose the other senses of real life. You consistantly judge me as having an attitude. I have no attitude! And what I consider personal opinion never enters my mind while I'm on the job. If you would like to be terrorized, you should read some of the amusement park employee boards/newgroups where everything is a complaint ab ut guests expecially the disabled. Do you think that these people just stand there and smile while being friendly all day. If you do that you are living in a shallow world. You would fall flat on your face if you heard what it said behind the guest's back, somtimes even in front of guests.

I merely responded my personal opinion to a post that was clearly exagerated. I happed to have gotten the other side of the story involving her experience at Poseidon's Fury. Again, heed some advice i stated in earlier posts about hiding behind the great disabled wall. Just because a person is diabled doesn't always mean they are right.

Oh where to begin... I try my hardest not to read tone from emails or postings on the internet, still sometimes in cases such as this it can clearly be seen. You say that you never let your personal thoughts enter you mind at work. Well I'm glad that you can turn those thought off at work. I would say that you are one of the few people that does not let their personal opnions affect their work in some way.

I've worked in customer service, infact I put myself thought college working the front desk at hotels in resort areas. So I know a thing or two about the the demanding public. I know how guest blame the person in front of them for everything that goes wrong while on a trip. I've been personally blamed for destroying about 50 different family's vactions at one time or another. All of them out of my control. I've even been blamed for the pool being cleaned. I've worked in support for a major software company, I been blamed for bad software that was written 5 years ago. I've been cursed , yelled at, hung up on, threatened. I've had the entire kitchen sink thrown at me. Yes I thought at that time everyone of those people were a-holes. You just have to remember that most of these people are just venting on you. For a lack of a better word I often called myself a "Bit@hing Post ". In all of my customer service jobs it was my job to tell the customer the bad news deal with the problem unitl they asked for a manager. Then the manager would come along and play "good cop" and magicaly fix all of their problems for them. Making me look like the ******. That is just the way the world runs.

So I can guess what is said about cusomters behind their back or even in front of it sometimes.

Just smile and tell them to have a nice day. I really don't think the majority of disabled people are hiding behind anything. I would guess that most of them would want to be just like you or me. Do you really think that getting to the front of the line at some rides in a Theme Park is worth a lifetime in a wheel chair ? I'm sure that most of them would trade all of the FOTL access in the world to be free from what ever has them using the Wheel chair.

As far as the other side of the story. Remember there are two sides to every story and the "TRUTH" is always somewhere in the middle.

Just as a side note:

I work in a physician's office and we have 2 patients who weigh in excess of 500 pounds. This is not just an estimation, they have to be weighed and they do weigh 525 and 590. They, also, do get out and about, with difficulty and assistance, but they do, so it is possible that a 500 lb. woman could be at IOA.

Nan

If you would like to be terrorized, you should read some of the amusement park employee boards/newgroups where everything is a complaint ab ut guests expecially the disabled.

Thank you for making my point. That is why based on my conversation with guest "services" at Universal I'm not risking it. Because if I read your statement correctly you are accepting of the disabled but everyone else is complaining about the disabled. And people are questioning why we are offended?:rolleyes:

What are these complaints? What have we done that is so terrible?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter