Interior square footage of Poly DVC studio compared to a standard room?

Childs1stTime2Disney

*A dream is a wish your heart makes*
Anyone know the interior square footage of the living space of a Poly studio compared to a standard room (not including the bathroom areas)?

It is converted from a standard hotel room, so it would be the same. There was no "construction" done to enlarge the rooms. The difference is that the large second
shower area and the kitchenette take up significant floor space, making it live smaller.

It is converted from a standard hotel room, so it would be the same. There was no "construction" done to enlarge the rooms. The difference is that the large second
shower area and the kitchenette take up significant floor space, making it live smaller.

But where did that square footage come from?

But where did that square footage come from?
What square footage?
The Studio Villa is the exact same size as a regular resort room.
When it was converted to a Studio Villa it was gutted and reconfigured within the existing exterior walls.
The extra shower space and kitchenette were “carved out of” the regular room floor space. The Villa only has 1Queen bed, not 2. It has a double sleeper sofa, not a Queen. It does not have an easy chair like a resort room. All that missing living space was used for the second shower and kitchenette.
The Studio Villa has less “ living space” within the same exterior walls because of that.

Screen%20Shot%202019-01-14%20at%2011.01.15%20AM.png

From dvc-rental . com

So a regular poly room is 465 too.

@Brett Wyman That chart is great but it doesn’t help OP, who is trying to compare Studio Villa to regular resort room.
I also find the raw number misleading as they don’t show all the square footage taken by the second shower room, which is unique to Poly. So comparing raw square footage across all DVC Studios is misleading IMHO.

So, important historical note is that the rooms in the three buildings conveeted to DVC started out slightly bigger than the other standard rooms. The three buildings were built later than the others and didn't use the modular construction.

A standard room is 415 sqaure feet, but ncludung bathroom. The DVC units are said to be 447 square feet. No walls were changed in converting the DVC longhouses.

The silly bathrooms probably take up a good bit of that difference though.

I am not sure if anyone has the measurements unless someone took a tape measure to both as it is just not published information.
So here is my take as I have been in both.
the originally Poly rooms had a very large bathroom to start with where as the DVC ones have sort of 2 bathrooms. Do the DVC studios have more space dedicated to the bathrooms yes but how much more... a would estimate at maybe 5 further back as to what would be considered the actual living area. That would mean if the rooms are 10 feet wide 5 feet further back would give you 50 less feet of living area. the Kitchen would have no bearing on this as it is adjacent to the bathrooms. Neither room feels small. I think the better question is what are looking for the extra space for? 4 people it is fine with sleeper sofa pulled out and the day bed under the TV down you will never smack into anything and still have easy access to the balcony... If you are planning to have a pack and play or crib as well I would say the regular room will be a better fit as it will get tight in the DVC room mainly because the storage space locations and amounts become an issue in the DVC room as there is no dresser. The draws to store things are under the bed as well as a chest that doubles as a coffee table. There is also storage in the second bathroom as the vanity has draws although they are not very large. IMO for 4 you are ok and even 3 adults and one child for 2 adults and 3 kids, 2 willing to share a pullout and one in the day bed, I think storage may be an issue if you travel with a lot of clothes if not you will be ok. However here is where the extra shower helps as well... Note the daybed is not as small as people make it to be it is perfectly fine for a person who is over 5 feet.. if you go into the 5 foot 10 to 6 foot range that may be another story but they will still fit. My son who is a little over 5 foot 2 looked like and said he had plenty of room...

@Brett Wyman That chart is great but it doesn’t help OP, who is trying to compare Studio Villa to regular resort room.
I also find the raw number misleading as they don’t show all the square footage taken by the second shower room, which is unique to Poly. So comparing raw square footage across all DVC Studios is misleading IMHO.

Ah yeah missed that part. Check the below image. I just threw it together from images so its not 1:1. Patio/Balcony make it not a perfect match but it gives you a good estimated idea of how much is lost to the second bathroom area.

Screen%20Shot%202019-01-14%20at%2012.27.13%20PM.png

What square footage?
When it was converted to a Studio Villa it was gutted and reconfigured within the existing exterior walls.
The extra shower space and kitchenette were “carved out of” the regular room floor space. The Villa only has 1Queen bed, not 2. It has a double sleeper sofa, not a Queen. It does not have an easy chair like a resort room. All that missing living space was used for the second shower and kitchenette.
The Studio Villa has less “ living space” within the same exterior walls because of that.

Extra square footage for the extra bathroom in the studio?

What square footage?

This is what I am asking. So the studio villa DOES have less floor space within the living area (not counting bathroom area).

yes!!

Ah yeah missed that part. Check the below image. I just threw it together from images so its not 1:1. Patio/Balcony make it not a perfect match but it gives you a good estimated idea of how much is lost to the second bathroom area.

Screen%20Shot%202019-01-14%20at%2012.27.13%20PM.png

Great, perfect thank you!!! Sticking with my standard room for our family of 4.

This is what I am asking. So the studio villa DOES have less floor space within the living area (not counting bathroom area).

With the daybed UP in the studio and given that there is just a single bed it feels like there is more space to move around, more visible carpet. Of course you lost an ENTIRE bed to make that happen. But if you only need a single bed the studios feel slightly larger because of that IMO.

With the daybed UP in the studio and given that there is just a single bed it feels like there is more space to move around, more visible carpet. Of course you lost an ENTIRE bed to make that happen. But if you only need a single bed the studios feel slightly larger because of that IMO.

I realize it's just not worth it. At least with a standard room, I have 2 beds AND a "sofa". With the studio, I only have one bed and a sofa that will be gone once my kids need to sleep. No bueno.

Great, perfect thank you!!! Sticking with my standard room for our family of 4.

i would do the same if i were traveling with 4 people. the studio feels like more living space if you’re a family of 2 or 3, because there’s only one bed. we stayed in a studio last month (2 adults and an infant) and loved the floor plan. it was perfect for us. but with 4 people, you’d need to use the sofa as a bed. i don’t think i would pay poly prices for a sofa bed.

have a great stay!

I think an important difference is that the Poly regular rooms have two queen beds and the DVC studios have one queen bed and one queen pullout sofa. Depending on your group's composition, you may prefer one or the other. If you only have two people that will be sharing a bed, you may prefer to have the extra floor space that the sofa provides. You can keep the sofa closed and have a place to lounge, etc. However, if you will need both sleeping surfaces, my preference will always be to sleep in a bed instead of a pullout. It's just more comfortable for sleeping.

The 465 square feet includes the bathroom space (i.e. it's not 465+bathroom floor space) so the only way to determine would be with a tape measure - first measure a room, then measure a studio. Then subtract, but I bet you knew that ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter