Interesting products that might be helpful to some people

SueM in MN

combining the teacups with a roller coaster
I saw an item in a Facebook advertisement that I had never seen before and it occurred to me that there might be some products people are not aware of that might make their lives and their Disney trips easier.

So, in that vein, the first product is a tiny wearable bladder scanner called DFree.
I don't know anything about it specifically except what I saw in the ad and the website. But, what I saw made me think it might be helpful for people with incontinence or neurogenic bladder/who might not have the urge to urinate until the bladder is overfilled and it becomes an emergency.

Hospitals have used big bladder scanners for probably 20 yrs at least. The scanners use ultrasound wands to scan the area over the bladder to measure the approximate amount of urine in the bladder. That helps to determine whether the patient needs to be catheterized or not.
The DFree is a tiny ultrasound device that is worn by the user and continuously monitors the bladder. It synchs with a phone or tablet notifies the user when the bladder needs emptying to help avoid emergency runs to the bathroom.

If this sounds like it might be helpful to you, check it out with your care providers

This is an interesting device that may be helpful for some people who have trouble walking, but not standing.
I've seen several of this device, The Alinker, at Disney World.
It's a non motorized, no pedal walking bike. It meets the Disney size guidelines for wheelchairs - measures 30" wide and 45" long. The only limitation I've seen is that it may not turn very tightly
One was a woman at Animal Kingdom; she had a shirt on that indicated she had MS (Multiple Sclerosis).
I don't know why the other person was using it, but I've seen photos of people with prosthetic legs, MS, CP and other conditions that affect stamina or balance. The first article I saw featured Selma Blair, who has MS.

This is a link to an article about a young woman with cerebral palsy who uses an Alinker.
And this is a photo from her article.
IMG_3940.jpeg

Here is a cup holder that DH likes for his scooter:
HandleStash Shock-Absorbing Bike Cup Holder (Red Hot Diamond) | Fits All Handlebars | Adjustable to Any Size Drink | Made for Bicycles, Boats, Wheelchairs | Xmas Stocking Stuffer | Made in USA https://a.co/d/0mJkOB7

This is the one I use:
kemimoto Bike Cup Holder, Oxford... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HGC32XR?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Both have their pros and cons, his can be more stable, mine can holder larger drinks, but sometimes smaller cups that are taller like souvenir bottles can be a bit harder, just kind of depends on what you want.

But definitely very handy in either case.

Here is a cup holder that DH likes for his scooter:
HandleStash Shock-Absorbing Bike Cup Holder (Red Hot Diamond) | Fits All Handlebars | Adjustable to Any Size Drink | Made for Bicycles, Boats, Wheelchairs | Xmas Stocking Stuffer | Made in USA https://a.co/d/0mJkOB7

This is the one I use:
kemimoto Bike Cup Holder, Oxford... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HGC32XR?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Both have their pros and cons, his can be more stable, mine can holder larger drinks, but sometimes smaller cups that are taller like souvenir bottles can be a bit harder, just kind of depends on what you want.

But definitely very handy in either case.

I really like this cup holder. I had one on my walker that was worthless. This one looks like it would actually work

Yeah, tools is a bit to find the right ones, the trick DH has found with a lot of things is looked for ones that work with bicycles, especially that say they work for mountain bikes or other bikes designed for off road use, as they tend to handle bumps better.

Another item that we have both been surprised by how useful they are is called the Smarter Hook: https://www.thesmarterhook.com/

This is great to hold bags and such and fits on the handle bars of at least the GoGo Sport and Victory 10.2 for sure.

On another note, I am wondering if this thread should be made into a sticky so that we can all easily access it in the future? It seems like this could turn into a very useful thread as we all share with each other.

Yeah, tools is a bit to find the right ones, the trick DH has found with a lot of things is looked for ones that work with bicycles, especially that say they work for mountain bikes or other bikes designed for off road use, as they tend to handle bumps better.

Another item that we have both been surprised by how useful they are is called the Smarter Hook: https://www.thesmarterhook.com/

This is great to hold bags and such and fits on the handle bars of at least the GoGo Sport and Victory 10.2 for sure.

On another note, I am wondering if this thread should be made into a sticky so that we can all easily access it in the future? It seems like this could turn into a very useful thread as we all share with each other.
Yes.
I was thinking of making it a sticky, but wanted to see if it looked like anyone was interested.
Now that things are settling a bit, we can get back to fixing other things

Many people are concerned with sun exposure due to medications or their particular situation.
If that applies to you, UV clothing with a UV blocking hat might work for you.
Here are a couple of companies to look at:
Coolibar
Solbari
Those companies specialize in sun protection clothing, but many other companies like Land's End, REI, Patagonia, Uniqlo, Columbia, Duluth Trading also have UV protective clothing.

Umbrellas will also work to block the sun's rays, but places like Amazon also sell ones designed for UV protection

This is the umbrella that I attach to my daughter's wheelchair for rain and sun. It has some great features such as being able to swivel and bend to various angles. I use it on pool loungers as well when we're unable to get a chair near an umbrella.

Like with many products, it does have some limitations. Having it extended and walking through parks makes it flop around and loosen so I battle having to stop and tighten it. Her motorized chair doesn't have a good place to attach it so it won't grip as well as it would on a manual chair. Overall though, I prefer it to other worse made umbrellas that attach to chairs that I've tried.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHJH6D8?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

If your chair has tube framing on the bottom, these lights can help make your chair less invisible. Also if your chair has tube framing at the top and no handles, these bike handlebars work both as a place to hang bags and if your chair has manual mode, as push handles for shorter distances. Not terribly comfortable for the pusher for long distances but if you just need a 5mn stretch break its fine.

This is the umbrella that I attach to my daughter's wheelchair for rain and sun. It has some great features such as being able to swivel and bend to various angles. I use it on pool loungers as well when we're unable to get a chair near an umbrella.

Like with many products, it does have some limitations. Having it extended and walking through parks makes it flop around and loosen so I battle having to stop and tighten it. Her motorized chair doesn't have a good place to attach it so it won't grip as well as it would on a manual chair. Overall though, I prefer it to other worse made umbrellas that attach to chairs that I've tried.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHJH6D8?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
DH has been looking at that one, would the XL or Regular size be better for mobility scooters? Victory 10.2 and gogo sport

If your chair has tube framing on the bottom, these lights can help make your chair less invisible. Also if your chair has tube framing at the top and no handles, these bike handlebars work both as a place to hang bags and if your chair has manual mode, as push handles for shorter distances. Not terribly comfortable for the pusher for long distances but if you just need a 5mn stretch break its fine.
The bike handlebars are similar to the item I posted earlier. What I shared is smaller though, at least for bags, but I can see those working for pushing.

I know this is going to sound stupid, but for people who are prone to panic attacks, pack some Warheads in your bag. Yes, the super sour candies. My wife gets panic attacks (cPTSD and anxiety) and nothing works better to derail an incoming panic attack like Warheads. It is better than any medication she has tried (works faster and without the side effects of making her sleepy). They work best when she can get one while she feels the panic building, but even in a full blown panic attack a warhead halts it and lets her calm back down quickly. I have recommended it to several friends with similar results. There is some science there, if you care to look it up, but basically the super sour sensory input helps derail the panic attack. It was recommended by her therapist when she complained that the prescription she had made her just immediately want to go to sleep, event though it did stop the panic attacks. Warheads are small and lightweight and easy to keep in the bottom of a bag.

DH has been looking at that one, would the XL or Regular size be better for mobility scooters? Victory 10.2 and gogo sport
I think the XL would work better. Looking at pics of those ECVs you mentioned, I think the umbrella would attach to the bar just below the arm rest.

A crib sheet is the perfect size to use as a seat cover on an ECV or power chair. If needed, use those elastic clips sold to keep fitted sheets from slipping to hold the sides of the crib sheet on the back of the chair.

For those who are prone to nausea, carry some of these: Alcohol Prep Pads

If you, or someone in your group gets nauseated, simply tear one open, and *gently* sniff. We have a family member who is very prone to nausea when they are having a panic attack, and everyone who travels with her carries a few in their purse or pocket, just in case.

Another thing we have learned about nausea is that for some reason, humming a song helps lower the feeling, so if we hear her humming the theme song from "Small World" we know to stop, and check in on her. (Source for this tip was a family friend who is a pediatrician!)

I know this is going to sound stupid, but for people who are prone to panic attacks, pack some Warheads in your bag. Yes, the super sour candies. My wife gets panic attacks (cPTSD and anxiety) and nothing works better to derail an incoming panic attack like Warheads. It is better than any medication she has tried (works faster and without the side effects of making her sleepy). They work best when she can get one while she feels the panic building, but even in a full blown panic attack a warhead halts it and lets her calm back down quickly. I have recommended it to several friends with similar results. There is some science there, if you care to look it up, but basically the super sour sensory input helps derail the panic attack. It was recommended by her therapist when she complained that the prescription she had made her just immediately want to go to sleep, event though it did stop the panic attacks. Warheads are small and lightweight and easy to keep in the bottom of a bag.
Very interesting about the Warheads. Wonder if they would also work for nausea. I realize nausea is certainly not in the same category as panic attacks but interesting enough to me I'm going to figure out what Warheads are and where to buy. Also, I'm a terrible sleeper and can't shut down 'the wheels'. Maybe sucking Warheads would help as all kinds of Melatonin do not.

Thank you for mentioning. I'm very sorry about your wife.

Very interesting about the Warheads. Wonder if they would also work for nausea. I realize nausea is certainly not in the same category as panic attacks but interesting enough to me I'm going to figure out what Warheads are and where to buy. Also, I'm a terrible sleeper and can't shut down 'the wheels'. Maybe sucking Warheads would help as all kinds of Melatonin do not.

Thank you for mentioning. I'm very sorry about your wife.
Warheads are a brand of sour candies made in Janesville, Wisconsin.
The website says they are available at Walmart, Walgreens, Dollar General, Dollar Tree and Family Dollar.

I had one once (my younger sister goes to Dollar Stores a lot). They are extremely sour

For those who are prone to nausea, carry some of these: Alcohol Prep Pads

If you, or someone in your group gets nauseated, simply tear one open, and *gently* sniff. We have a family member who is very prone to nausea when they are having a panic attack, and everyone who travels with her carries a few in their purse or pocket, just in case.

Another thing we have learned about nausea is that for some reason, humming a song helps lower the feeling, so if we hear her humming the theme song from "Small World" we know to stop, and check in on her. (Source for this tip was a family friend who is a pediatrician!)
I love the suggestions and definitely will look into both. Never heard of either. Thank you SO much.
Very much appreciated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter