Interesting E-Mail

Gary K. D.

DIS Veteran
I just received an e-mail from someone claiming an overpayment on a recent rental of points over the Chistmas Holiday period. The claim was that they had sent a deposit and then paid the full amount later without deducting the deposit resulting in a $300.00 overpayment. Since they were going again in April, they were willing to deduct the $300.00 from the April trip. Unfotunately for them, my records are pretty thorough and I have NO record of them ever renting from me. It almost looks like some kind of scam so my advice to all who rent more than just occasionaly, BE CAREFUL and keep good records!!!:wave2: :teeth:

That people are scamming others using DVC rental points? I have had good luck, but wonder what to look for in order to avoid being "taken"! Escrow maybe?

or maybe they just got very confused, who rented the points to them , and thought it was your id name, it could have been a similuar id name. some people dont keep good records of important or they think its not that important to keep records of transactions like some of us people . i just hope this was the mistaken identity. keep us updated if they persue this even more.:sunny:

They may have made an honest mistake and thought it was you. I'd just suggest they get you documentation as you're records say they paid the right amount. I'd bet it's an honest mistake either way rather than a scam.

Think before you post details of transactions on boards.

If you rent to people and use direct email or PM on the boards then no one else knows what was done. When I first looked for points to rent last Nov the DVCer I rented from never gave any info on the boards except he had points available. All contacts were done by PM and then direct email.

If this person "thinks" they overpaid and now are just realizing it sounds a little made up to me.

Gary are they renting from you in April? Could they have followed various post and know you rented points in Dec? I hope you can figure out what is going on and post a warning to all of us about the person. That way we will not deal with them if we choose to rent any points.

Lori

I think the key point is in Gary's initial post- "BE CAREFUL and keep good records!!!"

With a contract signed by both parties and bank records/cancelled checks, there should be adequate data to clear up any suggested conflict.

In this case, if the renter has a contract stating he owed $2000 and he has cancelled checks for $2300 - then he can support his claim of overpayment. Wihout such records any claim will likely have little merit.

The same record keeping would apply to the member- who can demonstrate the fee for the rental and any receipts sent by the renter.

Hopefully it's just a case of mistaken identity.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter