Insurance

Ppreece

Earning My Ears
Hi all no a UK dvc member, just wondering what kind of insurance should we use as transatlantic flights need insurance but whilst out there we will need medical but the rest of the stay is resort based on points .....so what have others done to protect themselves ?

I have just gone for an annual travel policy with Aviva. Good customer service and no hassle if you need to claim.

The problem is travel insurance doesn't cover your points, we have travel insurance with our bank. You can get insurance from DVC that will cover your points but I have not used it.

The problem is travel insurance doesn't cover your points, we have travel insurance with our bank. You can get insurance from DVC that will cover your points but I have not used it.

Travel insurance can cover your points. Unless your policy explicitly excludes timeshares and/or requires accommodation to be paid in a certain way, you may find it is covered. Your policy does not need to explicitly state it covers timeshares or point based schemes - it depends on the wording and how compensation is calculated. For example, my bank's travel insurance policy does cover timeshares - it only explicitly excludes the annual dues element of a claim. So, if I book a stay using a years worth of points and have to abandon my trip, I will not be paid compensation for the dues. My policy even covers, for example, flights that were booked with Avois or similar. Compensation is calculated at what similar accommodation and travel arrangements would have cost (exact wording: "we will pay for the cost of replacing the used points or miles or, if replacing points or miles is not possible, a monetary alternative at the current published rate"), etc. Its worth double checking with your insurer to see whether an additional policy is necessary.

Travel insurance can cover your points. Unless your policy explicitly excludes timeshares and/or requires accommodation to be paid in a certain way, you may find it is covered. Your policy does not need to explicitly state it covers timeshares or point based schemes - it depends on the wording and how compensation is calculated. For example, my bank's travel insurance policy does cover timeshares - it only explicitly excludes the annual dues element of a claim. So, if I book a stay using a years worth of points and have to abandon my trip, I will not be paid compensation for the dues. My policy even covers, for example, flights that were booked with Avois or similar. Compensation is calculated at what similar accommodation and travel arrangements would have cost (exact wording: "we will pay for the cost of replacing the used points or miles or, if replacing points or miles is not possible, a monetary alternative at the current published rate"), etc. Its worth double checking with your insurer to see whether an additional policy is necessary.
Which bank do you use?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!