Increase in AP/Ticket prices = Increase in DVC contracts for sale?

JasonMak2000

Mouseketeer
Do you think the increase in prices will result in a temporary surge in contracts put up for resale? I could see this being the straw that broke the camel's back if you were already contemplating selling. Since tickets go up every year, I'm wondering if anyone has noticed a correlation in the past. Just curious.

I really doubt it. A $20 increase on APs comes out to only $2 or so per person per day.
If anything, I could see more people hanging onto contracts due the normal, non-discounted APs going up so much in comparison.

Might lead to less resale buyers. Would really help direct buys for a family of 4 or more. Nice selling point. I can hear the guides now, Why buy resale when you can save almost 2000 a year buying direct?

I doubt it as ticket prices will go up yearly. At least it was only a $20 increase. I would think there would be more of a surge with the raising of dues.

I don't think we are any where near breaking point yet with Disney ticket pricing. Although I still think it's crazy high, many will still pay the price asked, including me...

Great3

As a family who will soon need 4 tickets once the youngest turns 3 we are considering a direct purchase of 100 points. To us it makes a lot of sense, we go twice a year at least for 6/7 nights each stay. Also using it as a way to convince my wife of getting more points 8-)

Here's my obligatory post about the DVC AP discount only being this massive for like the last 8 months or so, and historically it hasn't been this large, and forecasting the current massive savings out for multiple years isn't guaranteed.

I really doubt there would be any impact.

No. It happens every year.

A gold pass renewal went up 20 bucks, barely over 3% The annual inflation rate for 2019 was 2.3 % (new numbers due out thursday) So it outpaced inflation a tad.

Also, not every DVC member needs an AP - some go every other year.

Prices werent going to go down.

Here's my obligatory post about the DVC AP discount only being this massive for like the last 8 months or so, and historically it hasn't been this large, and forecasting the current massive savings out for multiple years isn't guaranteed.

I agree, but I also think it is now the biggest positive impact selling point for buying direct. (resale restrictions are a negative impact) No other perk is work the thousands of dollars difference.

I agree, but I also think it is now the biggest positive impact selling point for buying direct. (resale restrictions are a negative impact) No other perk is work the thousands of dollars difference.
You could make the argument that the ability to stay at all DVC properties vs just one is worth a good chunk(speaking specifically about Riviera Resale), but out side of that you are right about it being the only significant perk.

It's a very smart strategy. Example-

Person buys direct for the significant AP savings. Once they buy AP, they possibly decide that instead of just 1 trip this year maybe 2 trips would make even better use of that AP :) WDW just got much more of that person's $, lol.

If this is their way of trying to make direct look more attractive they must really think the people buying dvc direct are morons...you need 250 points a year to go twice at Riviera "spend $47,000 now and you'll save 1,500 a year for this year and who knows about the future. Also it's worth about $20,000 the second the sale closes...and we want it to be worth $0 so we are working on that every year! Welcome home!"

I think that it may help someone on the fence between direct and resale, especially with a larger family, consider the 100 points direct

Granted, no guarantee things will always be there, but it’s one more selling point for Disney to promote.

If it makes direct look better than resale, than by default resale price will decrease.
In theory that should rebalance the equation.

you need 250 points a year to go twice at Riviera

Also it's worth about $20,000 the second the sale closes...and we want it to be worth $0 so we are working on that every
Not really. Maybe 2 full weeks.
2 4 days trips in the same calendar year would benefit from a (gold AP)
you can also do 2 weeks a year with banking/borrowing.
You can also buy enough points for 1 week a year and go 51 weeks apart so 1 AP covers both trips.

If they want it to be worth 0 they are failing miserably. contracts have held their value pretty well despite loosing a year of their life every year.

Saying a 47,000 dollar contract is worth 20K after closing is pretty hyperbolic. That would mean DRR resale would have to go for 80 a point.

Can Disney even use perks as a selling point since they are not part of what they are selling you? (Real question, I never went thru the being sold process)

The one thing Disney seems to really tout (and exaggerate on) is the ability to use the points for so many things, particularly the ability to stay at all the DVC resorts. This is the big thing that will be the selling point in the future, its a 'Perk' thats in the contract.

Lets see how it effects DRR resale prices

Last edited:
If this is their way of trying to make direct look more attractive they must really think the people buying dvc direct are morons...you need 250 points a year to go twice at Riviera "spend $47,000 now and you'll save 1,500 a year for this year and who knows about the future. Also it's worth about $20,000 the second the sale closes...and we want it to be worth $0 so we are working on that every year! Welcome home!"

I really doubt these changes were made with DVC sales in mind. Gold pass prices not rising as much as others probably is more related to them still wanting to attract Florida residents. We as members just happen to benefit from it.

Not really. Maybe 2 full weeks.
2 4 days trips in the same calendar year would benefit from a (gold AP)
you can also do 2 weeks a year with banking/borrowing.
You can also buy enough points for 1 week a year and go 51 weeks apart so 1 AP covers both trips.

If they want it to be worth 0 they are failing miserably. contracts have held their value pretty well despite loosing a year of their life every year.

Saying a 47,000 dollar contract is worth 20K after closing is pretty hyperbolic. That would mean DRR resale would have to go for 80 a point.

Can Disney even use perks as a selling point since they are not part of what they are selling you? (Real question, I never went thru the being sold process)

The one thing Disney seems to really tout (and exaggerate on) is the ability to use the points for so many things, particularly the ability to stay at all the DVC resorts. This is the big thing that will be the selling point in the future, its a 'Perk' thats in the contract.

Lets see how it effects DRR resale prices

Yes, they do mention the special perks associated with buying direct. However, the documents you get are clear about all the restrictions and that perks are not guaranteed.

Well, to be fair, we have no idea yet what a RIV contract will settle for in the future. At 250, you are paying around $174/point.

If someone buys in two contracts of 125 each, you insulate the loss a little bit.

But, any change in the difference just adds to the equation. So, someone who is already considering resale vs direct, plans to get the AP, regardless, and has a larger family, the difference for the 100 points becomes much easier to make up.

Yes, resale will always be less expensive, but every little thing that happens...ieL. Regular AP going up at a larger rate than DVC APs,
gives a new buyer a little more to think about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter