Incontinence issues

Oldnumber7

Earning My Ears
Hello,
First post here and I’m nervous even typing it out. I’m 36 and have issues with urinary incontinence. I’m perfectly healthy and mobile (thankfully) other than my bladder does not function like it should. My family and I are planning a trip to Disney World in February and will be my first time going since having to deal with this. I currently wear incontinence products but I am MORTIFIED (physically and mentally ashamed) to potentially have to deal with this in the parks. Anyway, I guess my question is do any of you have tips or advice on how to go about dealing with this while in the park? I really appreciate your time and advice!

Sam

Honestly, don't be ashamed. After having a c-section, I have minor issues with incontinence, which become more of an issue during cold season when I get a bad cough or sneeze a lot.

I suppose it depends on the severity of incontinence you have. You mentioned you have products you use, I would imagine you might have something that can get you through during the day, with extras on hand as needed.

There are plenty of singer bathroom around the park that if you do need to change you can have privacy. But even the normal bathroom you should be fine for the most part they are noise with flushing toilets sinks running and most do not care how long your in there for as they are too focused on there own vacation and getting to there next thing. I have changed clothes in the bathroom a number of times.

also if you need to bring extra items with you for just in case you have more accidents then you can leave them at first aid ( they need to have something to do with medical and I am pretty sure this would) they will have you fill out a paper and it will need to be signed in and out but it dose not take long

have fun and I know this is easer said then done but try not to stress you are not the only one with this problem have a great time at Disney

Unless there are only two stalls and the fireworks show is approaching. :cool2:
I can think of one bathroom at EPCOT that has two stalls can you think of any other that have 2 or 3 stalls

op I went to look for where the small bathroom were at EPCOT and they are no longer there. @Kaytieelder is this the bathroom you were thinking of I know there are some further down but I think they have more then 2/3 stalls.

Attachments

• D491CA06-AF8C-4585-A147-66FC41C98EBA.jpeg
    D491CA06-AF8C-4585-A147-66FC41C98EBA.jpeg
    43 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Thank you all so much for your time and help! I have OAB/Urge Incontinence and wear full briefs day and night. I’ll have a backpack with everything in it and will look into checking it in with the First Aid station (didn’t know I could do that so thank you!!). Also thanks for the stall counts in the bathrooms. I think having somewhere private to change and the negative “social stigma” I put on myself are the two biggest concerns I have so thanks so much for the info!!

I can think of one bathroom at EPCOT that has two stalls can you think of any other that have 2 or 3 stalls
Yeah. It's the small one between the World Showcase entrance plaza, and Canada. I agree, it's the only one remember that's so small.

I think having somewhere private to change and the negative “social stigma” I put on myself are the two biggest concerns I have so thanks so much for the info!!

Exactly. We are always our own harshest critics. One of our sons has no bladder/bowel control and changes at First Aid. It's not a problem. I never knew he could check in his products at First Aid, but good to know just in case. Not a big deal though as he carries a backpack on his wheelchair.

Try not to be hard on yourself and have an amazing vacation!

My family deals with incontinence issues. We make frequent restroom stops, pretty much anytime we are near one. We prefer to keep supplies with us to avoid having to trek back to First Aid in soiled clothing and use the nearest restroom. I’ve never felt we were rushed out of a stall. Taking longer time in a “companion” restroom may result in a knock on the door.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thank you all so much for your time and help! I have OAB/Urge Incontinence and wear full briefs day and night. I’ll have a backpack with everything in it and will look into checking it in with the First Aid station (didn’t know I could do that so thank you!!). Also thanks for the stall counts in the bathrooms. I think having somewhere private to change and the negative “social stigma” I put on myself are the two biggest concerns I have so thanks so much for the info!!

My mom had incontinence issues related to her strokes.

Whenever traveling, we would set up "bathroom kits" that I would create in a gallon zip-lock bag. It would have:
- a fresh pair of briefs
- a pair of nitrile* gloves
- a small supply of wipes in a sandwich size zip-lock bag.
- a fresh, clean damp washcloth folded in a separate ziplock bag. (You could also substitute a clean cotton bandana if you prefer)

Because Mom sometimes got emotional during toileting (side effect of her strokes) I always popped in another sandwich bag with a few tissues folded up, but that's optional. 🙂

In two separate 2-gallon zip-lock bags I would put one pair each of the soft knit pants she preferred to wear in case we needed a wardrobe change. As the day progressed, I would keep/consolidate any "extras" from the toileting kits that we didn't use, and place soiled briefs, wipes, etc. into a ziplock to dispose of. Soiled washclothes went back into a ziplock bag for laundry. By packing everything "flat" in ziploc bags and squishing all the air out, it makes it super easy at Security/Bag check as well; they can see all the contents of every bag, and so won't have to go rooting around through everything.

Typically, everything fit nicely into a backpack that we hung off the back of her wheelchair.

*we only carry nitrile gloves so we don't accidentally expose someone with a Latex allergy to a trigger.

It sounds like a lot - and the first few times we made the "kits" and put everything together, it was kind of overwhelming to try and figure out what we would need. We also would change the kits based on our location and destination; for trips to the doctors office, I would bring along some toilet paper from home because she hated the paper provided in the restrooms there.

Bring what you need to feel comfortable. 🙂

We just traveled to Disney with my aunt who has a colostomy bag which she's only had for a few months and she has a LOT of anxiety over it and worries about the "social" aspects of it too. The bag has kept her from participating in a lot of things in life lately because she fears being out and have it suddenly reach capacity, which it does without warning, and then she needs to be somewhere quick. She worries so much about the smell and handling things in a stall, etc. But she went to Disney anyway and after 7 days of having to handle the issues in the parks, she has gotten over her fear of it all and says "I feel like I can go anywhere now." She had a couple of episodes of having to get to a restroom right away. We weren't always close to a companion restroom, but we tried mostly for those. She was able to make her changes in a regular stall (she has mobility issues too and is on an ECV) and there were no problems. The companion restrooms were definitely her preferred method and we didn't really experience any long waits for those at all. The biggest issue was just being near one when she HAD to go in the restroom.

I think you'll do fine and remember that the "social stigma" is mainly all in your head. No one has any idea that you have an issue nor do they care. There are restrooms all over the parks and my suggestion would be to go use one even if you don't really need too and try to make sure you don't get in a position that you have a full bladder. I don't have incontinence issues (yet), but I've always had some form of urinary issues lifelong and not a very large bladder. I've sort of made it a lifelong practice to use the restroom before I get uncomfortable and to do so when there's one right in front of me whether I need to or not.

First, get a park map and those will show you the restroom areas.

I get into a routine and I don't wait to be in an emergency mode with rest room stops. If I have a short stream going more often that's okay. I go before leaving for a park. Once entering in the park I go again. I always use fastpass; so, the ride waits are not as bad. I get to the first fastpass ride and do a restroom before getting in the ride line. Then, depending how long the ride wait and ride is I will go again when I exit the ride. This is the same routine for every ride or show each time. Before dining I go again and after dining I go again. I stay hydrated but I definitely don't over drink in the park. Parades and fireworks are the same; I go before and after. This has been pretty much full proof for me. If you can do less visits to the restroom than you'll know after some experience what your tolerance will be.

If you go by car to the parks always keep extra supplies there just in case including a change of slacks. After your first day you should have a good idea of how much you need to take with you in your back pack.

If I get real bad I will use a scooter. Somehow sitting suppresses the urge more. This is usually more necessary if I have very long days in the park.

The average trek is about 6 miles a day. Some people do double that amount.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter