• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

In Every Run That Must Be Done; There is an Element of Fun (comments welcome)

Princess Half Training: Day 69

3 rounds of yoga tonight. Tomorrow still looks doable for my long run, but I wish the wind speed were going to be a bit lower.

I was excited to see that Disney is extending some of the park hours during my stay, especially having slightly later hours at Animal Kingdom. I really missed being able to see Pandora at night on my last 2 trips.

2021 workout data to date: 207h 6m 20s of exercise; 77,348 active calories burned; 97,566 total calories burned

Princess Half Training: Day 70

I ran a half marathon and didn’t die!! I was even still willing to smile afterward. I’ve now earned the last 2 of my Wine & Dine medals (which Disney still needs to send out)

I went back to my 30/60 run/walk intervals, the 20 second runs that I did last week were weird. I mostly didn’t skip any run segments, until the second to last mile. There’s one hill on that part and it was just too much to try to run up at that point. I also really enjoyed the two 5 minute breaks I was able to take partway through. I broke the run into segments based on when I stopped at the car to rest (and managed not to end the workout when I wanted to just pause).

I’m pretty darn happy with my pacing. It’s fast enough for Disney, with a buffer for character/rest stops. I was definitely dragging by the end, but I didn’t quit. My legs were doing fine, but my lower back was screaming at me every walk break. It felt really good when I got to the last turn around point, because I knew that no matter what, I was going to get the distance, because that was the only way I was getting home 😆😆

After I got home and soaked in a hot bath for a while, we had spaghetti for dinner, and went out to The Arb for their Winter Lights display. It was really pretty! I had no problem walking around, so I feel like I’m in good shape for going to the parks after races. I even heard my grandma say “you’d never know she did a half marathon today” as I was wandering ahead of them.

2021 workout data to date: 210h 15m 2s of exercise; 78,836 active calories burned; 99,385 total calories burned

Princess Half Training: Day 71

Still not dead! And still completely ambulatory and pain-free (aside from a pain in my foot, but that came from cleaning up a spill on a carpet and using the ball of my foot instead of my heel to step on the paper towel). It’s almost like all this training is actually working or something 😆😆😆

Speaking of training working, I wanted to buy new jeans today, because my old ones are close to falling off me. I went to Old Navy in my local mall, and they still have the fitting rooms closed! There’s no reason for that, no one’s catching anything from being in a fitting room 🙄🙄 Since I’m not wasting my time buying pants unless I know they fit, I had to go elsewhere, and still only managed to get 1 pair. 3 more are on order, which is a pain, but I think Disney World prefers it’s guests to wear pants, and I leave in a week, so I have to do something.

After shopping and dinner, I did almost 45 minutes on the bike, but at a slower pace than usual, and I’m not sure why. I didn’t feel like I was going slower 🤷‍♀️

2021 workout data to date: 210h 58m 33s of exercise; 79,022 active calories burned; 99,648 total calories burned

Princess Half Training: Day 72

3 rounds of yoga tonight. I’m not very awake today, I’m not sure why.

But I am getting very excited for my Disney trip. This time next week I’ll be sitting in my room at Beach Club Villas, relaxing after my first day back in my happy place.

I got my skirt in the mail today for my Princess Half running outfit: Cinderella!

2021 workout data to date: 211h 45m 29s of exercise; 79,348 active calories burned; 100,018 total calories burned

Princess Half Training: Day 71

Still not dead! And still completely ambulatory and pain-free (aside from a pain in my foot, but that came from cleaning up a spill on a carpet and using the ball of my foot instead of my heel to step on the paper towel). It’s almost like all this training is actually working or something 😆😆😆

Speaking of training working, I wanted to buy new jeans today, because my old ones are close to falling off me. I went to Old Navy in my local mall, and they still have the fitting rooms closed! There’s no reason for that, no one’s catching anything from being in a fitting room 🙄🙄 Since I’m not wasting my time buying pants unless I know they fit, I had to go elsewhere, and still only managed to get 1 pair. 3 more are on order, which is a pain, but I think Disney World prefers it’s guests to wear pants, and I leave in a week, so I have to do something.

After shopping and dinner, I did almost 45 minutes on the bike, but at a slower pace than usual, and I’m not sure why. I didn’t feel like I was going slower 🤷‍♀️

2021 workout data to date: 210h 58m 33s of exercise; 79,022 active calories burned; 99,648 total calories burned

Congrats on the HM and the new pants! Both of them must give you a great feeling! Also, LOL about Disney wanting you to wear pants!

Princess Half Training: Day 73

I did my 2 miles on the treadmill today. I had originally planned to just take a long lunch to run in the neighborhood, and then work a little late, but I got a call from my dental office, offering me a time slot for my pandemic-delayed cleaning for right after work today, instead of the second week of March, and I jumped on it. It ended up being super windy today anyway, so it worked out all around. And the hygienist I got was a fellow Disney enthusiast, so that was fun.

The run was good, but short. I could have done more, but I had planned for just 2 miles in case the half over the weekend did a number on me. I’ve got a virtual Turkey Trot 5K planned for Thursday, and 6 miles for Saturday, and then no runs until December 9.

2021 workout data to date: 212h 14m 50s of exercise; 79,580 active calories burned; 100,302 total calories burned

Princess Half Training: Day 74

I did 2 rounds of my light dumbbell workout tonight, alternating between the 3 lb and 5 lb weights (my workout repeats each exercise twice in a row). The weather looks a bit chilly for the virtual Turkey Trot tomorrow morning, but at least it’ll be sunny.

So…the jeans that I ordered are stuck somewhere in the shipping phase and might not arrive before my trip 😡 Luckily, I was able to find the same jeans in a store tonight, so my grandma will just return the duplicates once they get delivered. At least I’ll have more than 2 pairs of decent-fitting pants to wear in Disney World. I tried on all the pants in my closet this afternoon, and all but 1 pair could be taken off without unbuttoning/unzipping them, which could lead to some extreme embarrassment 😂😂😳

2021 workout data to date: 212h 44m 42s of exercise; 79,823 active calories burned; 100,588 total calories burned

Princess Half Training: Day 75

I almost didn’t go out to do my Turkey Trot today, but decided at the last minute “oh, what the heck; who cares if the air hurts my face?” It was 19°F and NW winds at 10-15 mph. I just ran through the neighborhood, and ended up walking the last tenth of a mile with my grandpa, since he was out walking and I caught up to him.

The Bling! And yes, it is a spinner (a double spinner actually)

My grandparents got me the cutest card!

2021 workout data to date: 213h 27m 29s of exercise; 80,188 active calories burned; 101,027 total calories burned

Princess Half Training: Day 76

Just 2 rounds of yoga tonight, though I did boost the pose timing from 15 seconds to 20 seconds for a little extra workout. Today was the first day of Christmas cookie baking. We made M&M, white chocolate chip bars and peanut butter blossoms. Tomorrow is spritz cookies and peppermint pinkies after my morning run.

Mia had to help keep us from getting distracted by sitting on my iPad 😸😸

2021 workout data to date: 214h 5m 53s of exercise; 80,460 active calories burned; 101,340 total calories burned

Princess Half Training: Day 77

I got up at 8 this morning and managed to get out the door for my run by 8:30. 6 miles (plus the extra .2, because why not make it a full 10K) out and back on the Luce Line. It was cold, but there wasn’t much wind until the end, which is why I ran early—I knew the wind was going to pick up as the day went on.

I think my legs have forgotten how to do early runs. I did get to see some sled dogs in training, pulling a guy on a wheeled platform, so that was cool.

While I was out, my grandma got the M&M bars we made yesterday all cut up.

After I got home, ate breakfast, and got cleaned up, we got to work on spritz cookies! This is always a drama-filled task because it requires 3 people and adding my grandpa into any project can be a problem. But it went well and we have many many lovely spritz cookies.

Then we took a dinner break, and got going on the peppermint pinkies. We’ll frost them tomorrow—we’re exhausted tonight!

2021 workout data to date: 215h 34m 49s of exercise; 81,150 active calories burned; 102,186 total calories burned

Princess Half Training: Day 78

Today was another busy day! We frosted the peppermint pinkies and put them on the 3 season porch to freeze so we could pack them into boxes for family and storage.

We also did a mountain of laundry so I could pack. While that was going, I packed up all the non-clothing things you need at Disney. We also got the garland hung on the mantle, and hooks put up for all the family stockings.

After dinner, we boxed up cookies, then I did my 30 minutes on the stationary bike, totaling 7.57 miles. Then I packed up all my clothes and got cleaned up so I just have to wake up and get dressed at 4:30 tomorrow morning.

DISNEY WORLD, HERE I COME!!

2021 workout data to date: 216h 4m 54s of exercise; 81,306 active calories burned; 102,394 total calories burned

Princess Half Training: Day 76

Just 2 rounds of yoga tonight, though I did boost the pose timing from 15 seconds to 20 seconds for a little extra workout. Today was the first day of Christmas cookie baking. We made M&M, white chocolate chip bars and peanut butter blossoms. Tomorrow is spritz cookies and peppermint pinkies after my morning run.
View attachment 626139
2021 workout data to date: 214h 5m 53s of exercise; 80,460 active calories burned; 101,340 total calories burned

Wow that's a lot of cookies! I need to think about what candy I will make this Christmas....and also start candying fruit for my husband's fruit cake.

Princess Half Training: Day 79

This is what your sleep tracker score looks like when you stay up late the night before you have an early flight:

In other news, I made it to Disney World!

I’m so happy I bought TSA PreCheck. I got to breeze past 75-100 people at MSP security this morning (and this was at about 5:45 am). Flight went great—there was a kitty traveling in my row! He was rescued after the hurricane in Puerto Rico, then moved to California, and now he lives in Florida. He seemed pretty chill; certainly more chill than either of my cats would have been. Arrived at MCO, grabbed my luggage, trekked over to DME, and basically walked right onto a bus to BCV. My room was ready shortly before I arrived, so that was nice.

After I got settled in, I hit up MK for a bit in the afternoon, then took a break in my room, then walked over to Epcot for fireworks. I racked up over 18,000 steps today, and 7.6 miles, but I still didn’t manage to close my exercise ring, so I had to do 5 minutes of stretching after I got back 😡

I’m hopefully going to crash fast tonight, and then I get to sort of sleep in tomorrow. I have to wake up to try for a Remy BG, but then I can go back to sleep, since Epcot opens so late.

2021 workout data to date: 216h 9m 10s of exercise; 81,337 active calories burned; 102,433 total calories burned

Princess Half Training: Day 80

Approximately 20,000 steps today, and 8.65 miles.

Greetings once again from Disney World! I was successful in my plan for this morning of waking up long enough to get a BG for Remy (I got BG 20!) and then going back to sleep. I ended up getting to Epcot around 10:30 or so, and walking around World Showcase, doing almost nothing until my BG was called. I did get a few pics by the tree in America, followed by a chocolate crinkle cookie.

I had no idea this was the magic shot by the America tree, but it’s too perfect not to share. Everywhere I go, chipmunks of some kind are climbing on me 😆😆

Remy was very cute, and then I looped around WS again, stopping in the UK for a distanced selfie with Mary Poppins (because of course I did, with this journal being named what it is)

A quick ride on Test Track, and then back to the resort to hop a bus to Disney Springs to grab some cookies from Gideon’s (I swear, only half the cookies I bought are for me 😉😉) I was thinking about buying a new Dress Shop dress, but decided against it for now. Then I went back to the resort for a quick rest, and back to DS for Drawn to Life. I highly recommend this show!!

Then it was off to Beaches & Cream for dinner! Once I got back to the room, I had to do a quick stretching workout to close my exercise ring. Off to Hollywood Studios tomorrow!

2021 workout data to date: 216h 13m 26s of exercise; 81,363 active calories burned; 102,467 total calories burned

Princess Half Training: Day 81

Approximately 21,000 steps and 8.9 miles

Today was full of highs and lows.

The highs: despite choosing to be lazy and not rope drop Hollywood Studios, I still had totally reasonable waits for Tower of Terror and Rock n Rollercoaster (I even got the front row on RNRC). Also, the weather was really nice for walking from the resort to HS (and I set my watch to record the walking workouts so I’d get more of the minutes added to my exercise ring). The Santa cavalcade was just passing when I got there, so I got to walk through the falling snoap.

Further highs: Deluxe extended hours at Magic Kingdom were a nice way to knock out some of the slow, time-eating rides and shows so I can focus on headliners during the Christmas party tomorrow night. Also, I got to eat a funnel cake for dinner 😆😆

The lows: I’m apparently blind or something, and walked full on, face first, into a glass door leaving one of the Sunset Blvd shops. I didn’t break anything or bloody my nose, but it hurt like 🤬🤬 The poor shop employee didn’t quite know what to do with me, and called her manager and then hovered to make sure I didn’t die or something. Then the manager came and I had to explain that really, I was fine, I was just like a stunned bird and needed a little time to recover.

Further lows: I think I overdid it on my walks to and from HS, I shouldn’t have walked so fast, or stretched my legs so much. I have a sore muscle on the outside of my right calf. I think I’ll be better tomorrow. Also, my left hip was doing something screwy all evening, and I only just figured out why. The sofa cushions in my hotel room don’t sit level from front to back, so if I sit sideways (so I can stretch my legs out on the sofa, instead of the coffee table), my hips end up out of whack, and I was sitting with my left hip on the down side earlier today. I’m going to figure out a better way to sit tomorrow; for now, I’ve switched to the other end of the couch, so my right hip is on the down side.

Why yes, I did take a selfie with my carousel horse tonight 😆😆

2021 workout data to date: 216h 52m 32s of exercise; 81,547 active calories burned; 102,719 total calories burned

Princess Half Training: Day 82

Approximately 19,000 steps and 8.1 miles today

Another lazy morning today. I waited until after 10 to head over to Animal Kingdom, and I didn’t stay for a super long time. I rode Flight of Passage and took a Safari, then got some pictures taken, and bought myself one of those adorable penguin puppets. Then it was back to the resort tot hang out for a couple hours before heading to Magic Kingdom for the Christmas party!

This was a ton of fun. I didn’t get many rides in because I have plenty of other time in MK to do that and I decided to prioritize the entertainment and magic shots. I managed to weasel into a good spot for Enchantment (being solo and short, people don’t seem to mind me, as long as I don’t block the view of any kids). And later, I found a perfect spot to catch the first stage show, and then turn around to watch the first parade. And when I came back for the holiday fireworks, I got a spot on the front of the hub fence, right next to a garbage can, and a helpful dad parked his stroller in front of me and protected my view 😆😆

Seriously, can you really get a better view than this?

I caught a Jingle Cruise at the end of the night, and Skipper Camilla was hilarious, and I could actually hear everything she said, despite sitting at the back of the boat next to the engine.

2021 workout data to date: 217h 0m 10s of exercise; 81,588 active calories burned; 102,774 total calories burned

Princess Half Training: Day 83

Approximately 15,000 steps and 6.2 miles today

Today was…not the greatest. It was an Epcot day, so I woke up just long enough to grab a BG for Remy (since I didn’t get to sleep until nearly 4am after the Christmas party). I got BG 77, and the initial estimate was callback around 1pm and I thought “Perfect, I can sleep until Epcot opens, head over and hit a few rides and walk around, ride Remy, then take a short resort break before hopping somewhere else after 2.”

Remy clearly had other ideas and went ridiculously slow all day long. I watched my estimated callback time move further and further into the day. The whole hopping plan went out the window, and I just sat around in my room until 2:30 or so. Then I went to Epcot and killed time until my BG was called. I rode Gran Fiesta tour, waited for a while in the Frozen line, but decided to bail after 25 minutes because I hadn’t moved out of sight of the door in that time. I browsed the Creations shop, walked onto Spaceship Earth, rode Living with the Land for the first time, caught a showing of Awesome Planet, and finally got the call for Remy at 5:49. Then I got to wait in an almost hour-long line. By that time, I had to head back to BC for my Beaches & Cream reservation.

This is the first time that the hopping restriction really screwed with me. If the 2pm restriction hadn’t been there, I would’ve taken 10 minutes to walk over to the IG to check into Epcot, and then gone somewhere else until my BG was close to being called. I guess if I’d been thinking, I could’ve redeemed my free round of mini golf, but mini golf is more fun with someone to compete against.

2021 workout data to date: 217h 23m 15s of exercise; 81,689 active calories burned; 102,915 total calories burned

Princess Half Training: Day 84

Approximately 17,000 steps and 6.95 miles today

So I started with another slow morning. Everything has been so busy at home, it’s been really nice to not have to get going until I want to. I got to Magic Kingdom around 11 and saw a cavalcade. Then I rode the teacups, watched Philharmagic, and headed over to Splash Mountain to cool off.

After that, I explored Tom Sawyer’s Island, which I’ve never done before. It was nice to be somewhere less crowded for a bit. Then I shopped down Main Street (and didn’t find anything to buy 😭😭), caught a monorail to the Contemporary to get some of their peppermint chocolate cookies to bring home.

Then I sat at their bus stop for like, 25 minutes to catch a bus to Disney Springs for more shopping-but-not-buying, and then more bus stop waiting to get back to the resort to switch to a long sleeve shirt before heading back to Magic Kingdom for my dessert party.

This is where the day really fell off a cliff. The offerings were really underwhelming compared to the last party I went to (in January 2020), but I could live with that for a chance to sit in an actual chair and not have to try to watch through some idiot’s phone during fireworks. I decided to get a glass of sparkling wine, and set it on the table while I sat down. Little did I know that the 🤬🤬🤬 table wasn’t level, so as soon as I sat down and put my feet on the base, it tipped toward me, and dumped wine all over my plate and my lap. I carried my ruined plate of treats and empty wineglass up to one of the attendants, and she offered me a towel. I said it was a bit beyond towels, and she went to get her manager. The manager offered me pajamas from the Emporium, and I asked for a refund instead (PJs weren’t really going to solve the wine soaking into my underwear 😳😳). She wasn’t going to let me have a refund, until I mentioned that the spill was caused by their tippy table, and then she agreed to the refund and took my name and walked off purposefully.

I thought she was going off to process the refund or something and I was supposed to wait, but she was gone for a long time (like 10 minutes). Meanwhile, I’m standing there like an idiot, soaked through and getting cold. It was really embarrassing, and I started to cry. One of the other attendants noticed and got the manager again, who didn’t realize that I had no idea I was free to go. She was kind of apologetic, but it didn’t feel terribly sincere to me. So now I had to fight my way down Main Street through the people waiting for Enchantment (which wouldn’t start for almost another hour), crying the whole time (once I start, I have trouble stopping sometimes).

I finally made it back to my room and was able to de-wine myself, and then I still had to find dinner. All in all, a fairly lousy evening. Fingers crossed that tomorrow goes better. I’m back at Hollywood Studios—I’ll be sure to watch out for doors this time 😆😆

2021 workout data to date: 217h 36m 45s of exercise; 81,763 active calories burned; 103,013 total calories burned

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter